PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Needed: Logitech Wingman Nonfunctional w/Chronicles

KasigiYabuSama
5th Jun 2005, 23:17
Ok folks, I just finished AOD a month or so ago and am currently luxuriating in the absolute bliss that is playing Chronicles for the first time - but so far I have only been able to play via keyboard controls. I can't get the game to recognize my Logitech Wingman gamepad to save my arse.

After posting this problem at another TR-related forum somebody posted this page with downloadable Wingman profiles for a number of different game titles including all of the Tomb Raider titles:

http://www.wingmanteam.com/profiles/profiles_team.htm#T

I followed the instructions there - downloaded, installed into the appropriate file, and when I click on the Wingman icon, Chronicles is right there as the selected profile. Yet when I try to select the gamepad via the Chronicles "Options" menu nothing happens. I can get a couple of the buttons to register when I go into assigning functions, but no others - and with a ready-made profile already installed should I have to assign functions at all?

Or are the files at the above site buggy themselves?

Any suggestions? I can (and will continue to) play Chronicles with the keyboard, but it would be great to get gamepad control and it's worked fine with all the other games.

Thanks in advance...

CatSuit&Ponytail
6th Jun 2005, 09:29
I can (and will continue to) play Chronicles with the keyboard, but it would be great to get gamepad control and it's worked fine with all the other games.

:eek: *Is shocked and appalled that someone would actually prefer using a gamepad to keyboard in TR....* http://www.catsuitandponytail.com/files/eek.gif

KasigiYabuSama
6th Jun 2005, 15:47
:eek: *Is shocked and appalled that someone would actually prefer using a gamepad to keyboard in TR....* http://www.catsuitandponytail.com/files/eek.gif

:D

Heeheehee - well there's a story behind this...a long haul and likely not worth the trip, but since you wondered...

I dove into Tomb Raider for the first time on a Sega Saturn system in Y2K before I'd even gotten my first computer. I got the Sega from a guy on Ebay even though there were already far more advanced game systems on the market, for the specific purpose of being able to play "Mr. Bones," which I consider an E-game classic and which was never released for any other platform. [Hey, the hero is a dead blues guitarist pursued by an army of evil skeletons; his only weapon against them is a Stratocaster given to him by a blind guy he hears jamming in a cabin in the woods; the blind guy - and all of the music in the game - is played by none other than Ronnie Montrose. :cool: Serious instant-classic material and an absolute riot to boot. But I digress...]

Anyhow, TR1 and Mr. Bones were both included with the console so I was grinning from ear to ear for about a year. It's always the first thing you used that seems most natural, and for me it was a gamepad.

But come to think of it, I picked up on the keyboard pretty fast when I finally sprung for the computer and started TRII, so maybe the (re)learning curve is cheaper than the aggravation of messing with the other? Good point.

Errrm, if this post isn't making a whole lot of sense in the area of consistency, I just finished a vampire shift, a 90-minute-mostly-conscious commute, and I'm just a little punchy... :confused:

KasigiYabuSama
6th Jun 2005, 18:05
D'OH! I didn't realize that in the game's Options menu you must first push Enter to bring up the prompt for the key assignment.

Everything's working perfectly!

While I'm here I might as well slip in three of my wish-list items for "Things Missed and Still Badly Needed in Future Games":

1. - I'm about jumping for joy at the comparatively lightning-fast transition time from, er, "recent death" to "back in action": the Level Reload times. Clearly there has to be more data related to image resolution in AOD as compared to Chronicles, but there's no comparison between the latter's 5 seconds or so and AOD's interminable half-minute of staring at that (impressive-yet-not-enough-so-to-withstand-endless-hours-of-study) level title splash screen;

2. - Oh, the smoothness of movement! The way you can brush right against slightly-jutting walls and just slide right past - without getting stopped, whiplash-fashion, then having to maneuver laboriously backward and around before you can continue on your way!

3. - And one single click between gameplay and inventory and back again!!! Egads!!! I'm in User-Friendly Heaven!!!

:D :eek: :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
7th Jun 2005, 10:17
I am shocked twice in one thread. No mean feat! You deserve some catnip. ;) So, the second shock is this: Me, gameenthusiastextraordinaire, had not heard of this remarkable sounding game Mr. Bones before! http://www.catsuitandponytail.com/files/eek.gif

But I can excuse this lapse because said game was for strange unknown reasons not released on PC. ;) ....However, if I can track down a port, I know someone for which this might just be "get back into the game" motivation. :rolleyes: hmmmm

As for the shortcomings of poor AOD..... :( I haven't the heart to get into them. It was birthed before it was fully matured, so it's just not the game's fault. Sad, sad, *sniffle* I need more tea.

;)

KasigiYabuSama
8th Jun 2005, 09:39
Hmmm, no need to be shocked Meower - I have no clue either as to why Mr. Bones never got released on anything but Sega Saturn, but although the gaming technology has left it in the dust in terms of nifty resolution and bells & whistles, it is nevertheless a phenomenal game.

Where do I begin? (Beware! I'm gonna do a long post because I love this game and talking about it!)

There's the scene where Mr. Bones has to jump-climb on constantly-shifting (and occasionally spinning,) lily-pad-like things floating in the air, struggling upward, while Ronnie wails sublimely on guitar in the background and a blues guy does a poetic (and somehow hilarious) voice-over on the meaning of the Blues ("The First Thing");

There's a level where M.B. has to fight his way past a gauntlet of - hmm, memory is sketchy - I think gargoyles, by (get this) arranging lines of dialog into cheesy jokes until the gargoyles are laughing too hard to attack;

One of my faves is right after he gets the Strat from RonMon (a.k.a. "The Blind Man") at the cabin - he climbs a hill only to find a horde of evil skeletons on the other side massed for attack. He (the player) has to string together guitar phrases in rhythm to create a jam cool enough to get the entire crowd cheering and raising their lighters (I kid you not!);

There are three levels where Mr. Bones is in a forest, he's broken into pieces until he's only a skull and spinal column (the rest are taken away by crows,) and he must bounce, crawl, and scrabble his way past ornery Frankenstein-type dudes, pesky birds, bats and other animals to re-assemble himself;

There's a part where he falls out of the sky and into a river ('way too hard to explain the set-up for that); what follows is a level called "Underwater Ride," in which you maneuver Mr. Bones through a twisty, turny underwater cave through constantly shifting (and incredibly realistic) currents, without touching the walls, stalactites or anything else. It is flat-out the most intensely Zen-like activity I've ever experienced outside of the martial arts. You are almost forced by gameplay to navigate by feel! I can't explain it adequately with words and I haven't a clue as to the genius of the programmers, but it is unlike anything I've ever experienced in any game of any type;

There are the maddeningly-difficult levels involving an icy lake in need of crossing without falling through, one seen from above and the other seen from under the ice; there's the level right before it where he's first captured then befriended by the Munchkin-like Lilliputians, after he rescues them from hordes of spiders; the great part where he serenades an evil (but buxom, as it happens,) Wraith until she turns away from "the dark side" and ultimately becomes his Main Squeeze; and of course the classic scene where Mr. Bones is invited into the cabin for a jam session with Ronnie.

As a guitar freak I may be biased, but Mr. Bones is worth springing for a Saturn system just to play that game alone. I think I paid about $65-$70 for mine on Ebay.

Ronnie released a soundtrack CD that can be found here & there, but since it's out of print a lot of people are gouging on the price. Oddly enough, the game is easier to find and at much cheaper prices (at least on Ebay,) than the soundtrack.

Ok, 'think I've droned on long enough on this. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming.

;)

CatSuit&Ponytail
8th Jun 2005, 11:45
That was quite the write up! And I imagine I now have a game quest. :( Nice work! As if I don't have enough evil consoles and half-played cool games stacked up, down and sideways. :rolleyes: I searched for several hours yesterday trying to turn up something....and found it's not only you who thought the game a work of genius. But I did not, and will not search ebay for it! You can't make me! :p I have given myself "ebayverbot" anyway. ;) Ha! I am strong, I can stay away from ebay, I can. .....But I'll need more tea. :cool:

KasigiYabuSama
8th Jun 2005, 17:22
Lolol!!

:D

Sophia Leigh
9th Jun 2005, 07:29
That was quite the write up! And I imagine I now have a game quest. :( Nice work! As if I don't have enough evil consoles and half-played cool games stacked up, down and sideways. :rolleyes: I searched for several hours yesterday trying to turn up something....and found it's not only you who thought the game a work of genius. But I did not, and will not search ebay for it! You can't make me! :p I have given myself "ebayverbot" anyway. ;) Ha! I am strong, I can stay away from ebay, I can. .....But I'll need more tea. :cool:

You are strong! I try to stay away from Ebay - but every now and then the temptation gets the better of me :D