PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of a Praetorians’ player

[BlackBirdy]
5th Jun 2005, 16:28
At the beginning, I bought IG not for the economic part but mostly for land and naval battles and I finally realized that I preferred the economic part which is fabulous: I give without hesitation a 9/10 for this part.

Concerning the land battles, my feelings are different:
I clearly miss the missions from Praetorians that were well-scripted. In IG, there are no scripts at all: my strategy is simply to rush to the nearest building/forest/wall to have the defense advantage and when I play the attack, just try to push the enemy out from these shelters.

Of course, there are interesting features like the possibility to fire in the back of the enemy or make the cavalry charge but troops move so fast that is really difficult to elaborate a strategic plan. In Praetorians (Alea Acta Est is a good example of well-scripted mission), enemy troops are dispersed on the map and react when friendly troops advance: this is rarely a battle with a lot of troops because it happens locally but it doesn’t mean that there is no strategy. On the contrary, I think the fact that only few troops fight at the same time make the battle clearer and easier to manage.

To conclude, I prefer the battles in Praetorians which seem more tactical. I don’t say battles in IG are not tactical but the lack of scripted missions make the game less interesting.

IG is a good experience but I’m still waiting for the game that will replace Praetorians.

Queeg
6th Jun 2005, 00:52
']In IG, there are no scripts at all: my strategy is simply to rush to the nearest building/forest/wall to have the defense advantage.

That might work unless the other side has artillery. Your nice little house becomes a deathtrap then.

Webrider
6th Jun 2005, 01:13
Is Praetorians a good game?.... almost bought it at EB for 6 bucks.

reddis
6th Jun 2005, 14:52
Yes webrider, Praetorians is a GOOD game

and Blackbirdy, I do agree with you about the differences between IG and Praeto land batles. Management has become a nice discovering to me also, but I prefered the way that land battles were played in the old praeto.

Mongoose
6th Jun 2005, 17:03
Multiplayer was certainly more frezyful in Praets...So much marching now. lol

Gorasonas
9th Jun 2005, 12:35
i want Praets 2 !!!!