PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm enjoying IG more than S\M\RTW !

Element-UK
4th Jun 2005, 12:02
Gorgeous Graphics (I personally have never seen a glitch or error), Square Formation (although it's a shame they left out the research of Skirmish Order), Naval Combat ( Finding very enjoyable as long as you only have 2 ships max because you can't put the rest on AI control ), Use of building's in Combat, Horse Artillery, superior Diplomatic etc options, The progression of Troop experience is better than just upgrade weapons and armour, Battlemap movement is well done with the 'type of ground' penalties and Column moving faster than Line etc (Although Icons should be there for Hold Ground\Defensive or Aggressive as well as Faster Light troops that do not tire at the same rate as Line, I miss not being able to hide Cav units in the woods), Research options are better thought out ( need to see your gains in research points though), Trade routes are alot better, The option of peacefull takeovers ( enjoy the political race for province control and Influence).

I can see a problem with having a 'Speed Slider' as well as it's bonus ! That is the missing what the enemy is up to when considering movement to strategic positions (ie: If it were speeded up, you could easily not spot a crucial troop movement and the next time you notice, you've been flanked and it's to late to react sufficiently).
Only gripe on battlemap movement is that there is not a Fog of War when trying to conceal troops like Hiding Cav behind that hill out of sight of the enemy forces (ie you shouldn't be able to see any hidden troops either in Woods or behind hills etc).
So far the good points far outweigh the merely unpolished down sides. Look forward to a patch but I'm not going to let a few Minor points ruin what is a gorgeous and brave step forward in this Genre of game. I congratulate the Devs on achieving what they have - it is a leap forward imo.

Sorry Lordz ! Nap 1 was great, it really was and anyone who hasn't played it has missed out ! but whats the point in modding RTW for Napoleonic mod 2 when this already beats what could be achieved by wasting a year or so modding a poor game engine considering all the Hard-coded nonsense. If the basics won't let you achieve what you want, why work so hard, apart from personal achievment, better to slightly mod this for tweaks than re-write a massive amount of stuff to still not get what all Nap period fans want to see.

Queeg
4th Jun 2005, 16:11
Great post. Captures my thoughts exactly.

My wishes:

1. Slow down the battles. Not necessary movement speed, but the speed at which units take and inflict casualties.

2. Extend artillery range (with decreasing accuracy).

3. Skirmish formation for light infantry.

4. Better "retreat" mechanic. Let individual units break off and retreat. As it stands now, the only way to retreat is to retreat your entire army (which the AI does via an anticlimactic pop-up window that ends the battle right in the middle of the action).

Sithaka
4th Jun 2005, 16:36
4. Better "retreat" mechanic. Let individual units break off and retreat. As it stands now, the only way to retreat is to retreat your entire army (which the AI does via an anticlimactic pop-up window that ends the battle right in the middle of the action).
Sort of an addition to this, could it be made impossible for armies to retreat when they are surrounded by the enemy (or atleast very costly). Its really rather weird to see artilerry escape when they have an army infront of them and cavalry in their backs.

Ryoken
4th Jun 2005, 16:59
That is why you bring cavalry and click PURSUIT ;)

Mickalos
4th Jun 2005, 17:39
Gorgeous Graphics (I personally have never seen a glitch or error), Square Formation (although it's a shame they left out the research of Skirmish Order), Naval Combat ( Finding very enjoyable as long as you only have 2 ships max because you can't put the rest on AI control ), Use of building's in Combat, Horse Artillery, superior Diplomatic etc options, The progression of Troop experience is better than just upgrade weapons and armour, Battlemap movement is well done with the 'type of ground' penalties and Column moving faster than Line etc (Although Icons should be there for Hold Ground\Defensive or Aggressive as well as Faster Light troops that do not tire at the same rate as Line, I miss not being able to hide Cav units in the woods), Research options are better thought out ( need to see your gains in research points though), Trade routes are alot better, The option of peacefull takeovers ( enjoy the political race for province control and Influence).

I can see a problem with having a 'Speed Slider' as well as it's bonus ! That is the missing what the enemy is up to when considering movement to strategic positions (ie: If it were speeded up, you could easily not spot a crucial troop movement and the next time you notice, you've been flanked and it's to late to react sufficiently).
Only gripe on battlemap movement is that there is not a Fog of War when trying to conceal troops like Hiding Cav behind that hill out of sight of the enemy forces (ie you shouldn't be able to see any hidden troops either in Woods or behind hills etc).
So far the good points far outweigh the merely unpolished down sides. Look forward to a patch but I'm not going to let a few Minor points ruin what is a gorgeou and brave step forward in this Genre of game. I congratulate the Devs on achieving what they have - it is a leap forward imo.

Sorry Lordz ! Nap 1 was great ! but whats the point in modding RTW for Napoleonic mod 2 when this already beats what could be achieved by wasting a year or so modding an poor game engine considering all the Hard-coded nonsense. If the basics wont let you achieve what you want, why bother, better to slightly mod this for tweaks than re-write a massive amount of stuff to still not get what all Nap period fans want to see.

I'm really enjoying it too, for the last couple of weeks I had been a little dissapointed bu over the past few days it's got me really immersed, don't know why but I've changed my mind and I'm loving it now. :)

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
4th Jun 2005, 18:56
Sorry Lordz ! Nap 1 was great ! but whats the point in modding RTW for Napoleonic mod 2 when this already beats what could be achieved by wasting a year or so modding an poor game engine considering all the Hard-coded nonsense. If the basics wont let you achieve what you want, why bother, better to slightly mod this for tweaks than re-write a massive amount of stuff to still not get what all Nap period fans want to see.

Well at least you had the luxury of enjoying a free mod that took you back to the Napoleonic age for many years before Imperial Glory, and gave you lots of fun with it.
Second point NTW2 will be totally different of what we have done before and not just putting a Napoleonic layer on the vanilla game, that is all I can say for the moment.
Thank you for the confidence and the backstabbing M8.

LZoF

Ryoken
4th Jun 2005, 19:39
One of the worst things about being a modder is that everyone wants to play your mod, criticize it, and complain about it. But they never say "THANKS". I learned this from EU2.

Mickalos
4th Jun 2005, 21:40
But you do tend to get the odd "this mod is awesome," which is quite satisfying.

SlippyToad
4th Jun 2005, 21:49
I wasn't overally impressed by the demo but I couldnt resist buying this for a bargin £17.99 from play.com. I'm a total war player (shogun and rome) so I was always going to compare this to Rome. The biggest problem with the demo was the speed, its just too fast - a problem that rtw had. I finally installed the full version last night and I was pleasantly surprised :D I fired up a custom battle between the british and the french, the battle was awesome, just awesome.

Played Waterloo several times and really enjoyed the action. The speed seems slightly slower, the maps are excellent, and the battles ooze atmosphere (like shogun). I really like the way that the units keep their formation, it just looks more organised compared to the way the individual men in Romes battles shoot off in all directions.

The battles are not without their problems though.

Its still a tad too fast - especially the cavalry. Cannons are my biggest complaint. They fire too fast and too accurately - and while Im on, the range needs to be doubled (at the expense of accuracy). I also dont like the trails on the canon balls. Sometimes my men dont fire quickly enough. I get charged by a unit of cavalry and my troops dont get a single volley off.

These really are minor grips which (for me) dont spoil the game :cool:

I've hardly touched the campaign side yet because I'm hooked on the battles but from what I've seen it looks to have some real depth to it. I played a couple of naval battles which look awesome and I'm happy with them (although I suffered a disappearing ship in my first engagement)

Overall I'm really impressed with this game. I've already had the wife complain that I spend too much time playing it. It really has surprised me, I was expecting to be let down.

I'd even go as far as saying it's ******** brilliant. Its early days I know......

I really hope that someone can mod the speed and sort the cannons out :confused:

Before I sign off can anyone answer the following?

In land battles when I select all my units, I want them to advance up the battlefield so I click on an area of the the landscape where I want them to go but they all converge on the spot that I clicked. How can I get them to march directly straight ahead. The same problem exist in rtw, there should be an "advance" button

In naval battles I just stick to firing cannon balls. Whats the best ammo to use?

In land battles and on the campaign map I get pauses every now and then. Its ultra smooth on the whole and then it will pause for a second, then resume

Element-UK
4th Jun 2005, 23:37
Have you tried the same after you numberthem by Control-Number ? When grouped they never do that, not that i've ever seen it anyways,

@CZoF from the Lordz...what are you on about ? backstabbing ! crikey take a chill pill man. Nap 2 won't have square, it won't have Naval combat and loads of other stuff due merely to way it was written. Not anyones fault, just the way it is.

vortexdr1
6th Jun 2005, 15:54
Thing is NAP2 will most certainly beat IG in terms of realism and historical accuracy. As far as sayign what they can't do I woudnt be talking since first of the expansion wasn't released yet and for all we know Si will include some more tools.

Furthermore if you followed RTW modding at release no one thought it would be possible to have a good looking shoting and reloading animation. Now the actual smoke effect etc still looks like **** but reloading animation etc looks great so I woudnt be talking about what futures they can't have seeing its probally more then a year away from release.

Element-UK
7th Jun 2005, 00:31
My point exactly ! a year from release after a Zilllion tons of hard slog which of course will be appresiated by all...but..where will not only IG be after the patch ! but any other game that uses this as the new benchmark ? Good Luck, I just hope it's worth the obsession.

And BTW, saying Nap1 was "Great" is I believe a good Compliment...and Ryoken, If you payed the Lordz Forum a visit, you will see a few hundred posts from me there saying just how amazing Nap 1 is..or was as it's been assigned to the graveyard earlier than no doubt expected.