PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips for Salamanca?

ptan54
4th Jun 2005, 00:46
Played as the French - mowed down by the Brits with ease. Deployed the artillery on the small plateau in the middle but that wasn't much use as their cavalry just ran behind and destroyed everything. The two garrisonable areas are at the extreme east and west of the map, and cannot really support each other. With the limited troops available it would not seem wise to divide the army - should I concentrate my men in the village or in the Hermitage on top of the hill?

A major problem would be dragging the artillery up to the high ground. By the time they get there the British are already very close.....

Thrust123
4th Jun 2005, 16:39
This battle has a really good map.
I have won with both sides against AI and human player but in general it seems balanced in favour of the British.

As the French I have tried several options, using the mountain in the middle, the one further to the left and of course the one where the church is.

Sometimes I just rusheverything to take positions at the top of that last hill where the church is.
Unfortunately I think the British fire power is greater than the French's so there's no easy solution and just setting up a face to face battle won't be enough to win; it will probably be necessary to somehow to leave the british without artillery, and even that may not be enough.

In anycase, one of the main things to learn in this game is to stop the enemies usual cavalry charges against your artillery. You can do so either forming squares with your infantry near your cannons and/or countercharging thei cavalry BEFORE they get to yours.

If you DIVIDE your French army between the village and the church, the enemy (at least the AI) will take on each piecemeal so that tactic is useless.

baladure
4th Jun 2005, 20:59
I find it best to takr the village and put some infantry behind the buildings covering your artillery that is left in the open. this usualy provokes a cavalry charge then just mow down the cavalry with your infantry. now you still have artillery, cavalry and infantry and they have no cavalry so you should win on that advantage

tra
9th Jun 2005, 11:07
i think that battle is eazy i have beat it being french and british you will lose alot of men but u will be triumpent

Fasciti
9th Jun 2005, 13:57
Played as the French - mowed down by the Brits with ease. Deployed the artillery on the small plateau in the middle but that wasn't much use as their cavalry just ran behind and destroyed everything. The two garrisonable areas are at the extreme east and west of the map, and cannot really support each other. With the limited troops available it would not seem wise to divide the army - should I concentrate my men in the village or in the Hermitage on top of the hill?

A major problem would be dragging the artillery up to the high ground. By the time they get there the British are already very close.....

IMO, Artillery is a waste of time, use lancers to destroy your opponent's cannon and turn on the backs of the unprepared infantry. Mobility, not raw power, is the key to victory.