PDA

View Full Version : Promotion to Field Marshal

yakult
3rd Jun 2005, 23:53
I've finished a campaign without ever having a general promoted to fieldmarshal.
On the second run I decided to leave a couple of nations for the purposes of farming experience points to see how many victories it took to promote one. A general was promoted at the end of 23 battles.

So my question is... where can i see the stars on military commanders?
Also, after some research is finished, you are able to recruit generals with higher star rating. Does this mean that my old ones will be harder to promote to field marshals?

PrinceMyshkin
4th Jun 2005, 00:34
playing a game as GB, got 2 field marshalls and a bunch of generals. BUT i won most of the quests, i "think" one of them gave me a field marshall.

could be tied to tech, got more money than godd. that helped me win a bunch of battles, which got me some generals. (one of the quests gives you 3 research upgrades (1 each turn, 3 in a row), so my barracks are pretty well built.

im don't expect the same results with one of the "landed" countries though i suspect get access to a few pretty quick...

GB is sorta easy. one more campaign with them before i let my butt get kicked inland... (still learning the ropes)

Sithaka
4th Jun 2005, 01:13
you get field marschalls by getting generals experience, which as far as I know can only be done in battles (however there might be some goverment related research that might do it aswell, as I only played as const. monarchy as of yet).

You can see how much experience your general has by rightclicking on his portrait (same can be done with troops). You can also see how many battles your unit has fought.
Also I dont think the stars on the recruitment page has any influence on commanders, but I might be wrong on that.

I would advise to using the same commanders for fighting as much as possible so you can get them to marshall or atleast that would be my tactic.

Black Guard
4th Jun 2005, 04:41
you get field marschalls by getting generals experience, which as far as I know can only be done in battles (however there might be some goverment related research that might do it aswell, as I only played as const. monarchy as of yet).

You can see how much experience your general has by rightclicking on his portrait (same can be done with troops). You can also see how many battles your unit has fought.
Also I dont think the stars on the recruitment page has any influence on commanders, but I might be wrong on that.

I would advise to using the same commanders for fighting as much as possible so you can get them to marshall or atleast that would be my tactic.

You can also get 2 field masrshals, with 6 units each by collecting the 100,000 sons of st. Louis quest.

Yorkie
4th Jun 2005, 14:38
Some buildings give a xp bonus to generals just like some buildsing give xp bonus to units.

If you right click on your general you will see a bar , this bar shows how far along the currnet path that general is. And how many more battle he needs to win to get permoted .

Ryoken
4th Jun 2005, 19:11
I think the experience is saved. In the current game I am playing (see my signature), I plan on watching their experience until a commander is JUST ABOUT to be promoted, then put him away in a barracks somewhere until I get the Generals tech so he will become a General. Then I will take him out for a few battles to bump up to Marshal.

Has anyone tried this? Will it work? I think it should.

yakult
4th Jun 2005, 21:33
You can fill the experience bar, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be promoted to field marshal. I did fill it up with a general, and had to start a whole new bar to fill up, just like units with star rating. Which is why I am asking where the star rating shows?

Webrider
10th Jun 2005, 00:30
as France I never had anyone promoted to Field Marshall as Prussia I had 2 make it to Field Marshalls ... the French Generals should have had the exp to get promoted if it is the same as the Prussian requirements.

Eruan
10th Jun 2005, 02:07
I played for both GB and Austria on hard, and only Wellington from GB got promoted to Field Marshal. I gained most experience as the Russians kept attacking me with petty armies non stop, i.e. 140 men against 650 of my own :confused: If you kill just ONE dude, and win the battle, you get 1 experience point :D That's how it worked for me :thumbsup:

Longstreet63
12th Jun 2005, 21:36
Had to extend a campaign to get a couple of guys to Marshal--they started as Captains, but their dragoons proved so useful that, etc. etc.

When the game promotes whole classes, it sets XP's to zero, so it's probably as easy to take a captain to Marshal than a General.

Important thing is this: XP's come from the number of generals he defeats, not troops regardless of quality. You fight three (let's call them) brigades of one battalion each, you get three XP's for each of your commanders. And the same if they are fighting three fully stocked enemy Marshals. Academy defenders are assessed as if they had officers, based on the number of defenders present--i.e. if there are more than six, you get 2 points. Not completely sure about this part, though. Also unsure about reinforcements, but I think that can get you four points in an engagement. Points are also awarded when the enemy runs away.

So go after the small detachments to build up your commanders.

LS

Really wish I could award some VC's in this game sometimes. or Legion of Merit, etc.

Hannibal-Sun
13th Jun 2005, 00:05
When can we expect to see a patch of the game.

Battle for middle earth has released a number of patches that really have enhanced that game. Are you guys going to release one monster patch or do it a more efficient way, which is to take a look at the issues people have given to you to work out and have a go at actually making your game more acceptable so you can get that money for your next big dog project? Laziness can sometimes be worked out if you have ppl like us who will do the freaking work for you.

Anyway, sorry to sound so sarcastic and frustrated, but this is the second time in two years that I have been disappointed with the development field of this gaming genre. Most of you except maybe Matrix Games, all seem to really want to make a name for yourselves by selling the most games but you fail to make the games classic and really worth playing. By now, I thought all of you would have been more into trying to make the game more fun for the MP effect but instead promote the idea that John and Jane Doe enjoy a peaceful life at home on single-player. Sad when more and more good developers are selling-out like Creative Assembly where they have even expanded to the console market. Quite impressive, but there's nothing like the PC aspect of gaming in my opinion.

Anyways, I admit that the single player for this game is quite decent but the battles are still not as easy in terms of maneuvering as I'd like. And I like fighting but that crap of sharing units on a battlefield is ridiculous. NOT EVERYONE SPEAKS THE SAME LANGUAGE on MP!

On that note, take care and good luck and please reply about whether you expect to release a patch anytime soon. No one is ever available to play MP and when they are it's never really a good time - but I do somewhat enjoy the ship battles. At this time, I'm bored - send us a patch for US to test for YOU so we can help you enhance your product for free.

Hannibal-Sun