PDA

View Full Version : Community Avatars?

Ryoken
3rd Jun 2005, 22:42
I have noticed the lack of avatars on this forum. Perhaps I could entice the admins to allowing us to have them?

If there are no avatars due to a simple lack of graphics, I am good enough with Photoshop to make some myself. I could make avatars out of unit card screenshots, art from the manual, etc. Or I could make avatars out of a whole bunch of Napoleonic Era imagery I already have.

If you would like to get some avatars, post your desire here so that the admins can see it would be a nice gift to us!

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 01:13
I have noticed the lack of avatars on this forum. Perhaps I could entice the admins to allowing us to have them?

If there are no avatars due to a simple lack of graphics, I am good enough with Photoshop to make some myself. I could make avatars out of unit card screenshots, art from the manual, etc. Or I could make avatars out of a whole bunch of Napoleonic Era imagery I already have.

If you would like to get some avatars, post your desire here so that the admins can see it would be a nice gift to us!

Avatars would be excellent! :D but they take up some bandwidth. I am also good with making them would be happy to help out if needed. :cool:

Mike_B
4th Jun 2005, 09:33
It was decided a long time ago to just go with signatures. As they felt that was enough room to dissentiate you from the other forum members. Also having both sigs and avatars would increase the bandwith + the loading time of the pages.

Gelatinous Cube
4th Jun 2005, 11:22
It was decided a long time ago to just go with signatures. As they felt that was enough room to dissentiate you from the other forum members. Also having both sigs and avatars would increase the bandwith + the loading time of the pages.

Yeah, and that would be a problem because no other forum in the world has Avatars? Oh, wait.. almost all other forums do.

Come on, citing reasons like that is pure laziness.

Benj
4th Jun 2005, 12:37
It is true though Gelatinous. If you have ever run a sizeable forum you will know that bandwidth becomes and issue very quickly, and that you can take a sizeable chunk out of it by disabling either avatars or signatures.

Gelatinous Cube
4th Jun 2005, 22:32
It is true though Gelatinous. If you have ever run a sizeable forum you will know that bandwidth becomes and issue very quickly, and that you can take a sizeable chunk out of it by disabling either avatars or signatures.
Then how come every other Forum in the world has Avatars? Many of which aren't run by rich corporations like Eidos?

Benj
4th Jun 2005, 22:34
Show me a forum with over 50,000 members and 400,000 posts that uses avatars AND signatures.

Ryoken
4th Jun 2005, 22:52
forum.paradoxplaza.com

43,000 members
3.9 million posts
183,000 threads

Gelatinous Cube
4th Jun 2005, 23:57
Show me a forum with over 50,000 members and 400,000 posts that uses avatars AND signatures.

Unless I'm mistaken, the IGN Forums are busier than this, and they use Avatars and Sigs.

Captain.Crunch
5th Jun 2005, 00:49
Eidos should be able to afford it though considering how much they charge for there games and that is even before retail mark-up. However its there website there discussion it does take bandwidth and they also need to be policed that takes up some time.

Benj
5th Jun 2005, 01:06
forum.paradoxplaza.com

43,000 members
3.9 million posts
183,000 threads

Images appear to be disabled in signatures there. Same on IGN. The bandwidth cost of avatars and signature images is simply too much for 90% of large forums.