PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Glory being pirated

BabyShambles
3rd Jun 2005, 10:15
Ok i know of a site which is currently hosting Imperial Glory for free download . So what should i do ? If i sent the information to pryo studios directly would it help ? Would anything be done about it ? If so what's the email address and i will gladly give the information

Isledall
3rd Jun 2005, 10:22
You just saw a drop in the ocean ...

jaywalker2309
3rd Jun 2005, 10:52
Ok i know of a site which is currently hosting Imperial Glory for free download . So what should i do ? If i sent the information to pryo studios directly would it help ? Would anything be done about it ? If so what's the email address and i will gladly give the information

Pass on the details to me in a PM..

Yes its a massive issue across the whole industry, not just our games. We shut down site after site, but as long as people truly believe they are entitled to free games and share them with mates etc etc it will never go away.

CrossWire
3rd Jun 2005, 10:54
You just saw a drop in the ocean ...

Tis right, where there's booty there’s pirates. But I hear that the new securom messes up pirate copy’s, so if they like the game, they are going to have to buy it, flip, what’s £25 these days for the entertainment value you get from games like IG.
Speaking of which, we the game buying public should be grateful that eidos didn’t go the starforce root, starforce stops pirating yes but if you have certain system setup it can cause you a lot of problems and you might never get to play the game you bought.

Isledall
3rd Jun 2005, 11:21
hmm never had starforce problems... and I think only the older starforce version caused problems...

jaywalker2309
3rd Jun 2005, 11:35
hmm never had starforce problems... and I think only the older starforce version caused problems...
Think even latest installs a hidden device driver

Captain.Crunch
3rd Jun 2005, 11:45

Some people are really low welcome to the real world :rolleyes: if they can afford to have a computer which they need to play the game they should BUY THE GAME :mad: i hope they throw em in jail and then make them become line infantry for there freedom. :rolleyes:

vortexdr1
3rd Jun 2005, 16:34
All depends how you look at it. Even though members of the software industry always say piracy is bad etc etc i would be very suprised if they themselves never downloaded any kind of software.

Be it a Microsoft Produkt or whatnot. Now i do think that if a game is good people should pay for it and most people in the scene do in fact buy games to support quality developers.

Either way its getting harder for the common folk with no connections to get the software since the industry finnaly went after the big torrent sites etc. So all you ae left with are newsgroups, private ftp's etc etc.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 00:12
All depends how you look at it. Even though members of the software industry always say piracy is bad etc etc i would be very suprised if they themselves never downloaded any kind of software.

Be it a Microsoft Produkt or whatnot. Now i do think that if a game is good people should pay for it and most people in the scene do in fact buy games to support quality developers.

Either way its getting harder for the common folk with no connections to get the software since the industry finnaly went after the big torrent sites etc. So all you ae left with are newsgroups, private ftp's etc etc.

People do not realise though that if downloading continues the people who make music and games wont have the money to make them......

Nahirean
4th Jun 2005, 00:18
Pass on the details to me in a PM..

Yes its a massive issue across the whole industry, not just our games. We shut down site after site, but as long as people truly believe they are entitled to free games and share them with mates etc etc it will never go away.

Until game devlopers start releasing some quality software, this will continue. The fact is, people cannot rely even on DEMOS for a true representation of a video game. I pay for all of my games, but I see why people pirate.

Ryoken
4th Jun 2005, 00:25
Until game devlopers start releasing some quality software, this will continue. The fact is, people cannot rely even on DEMOS for a true representation of a video game. I pay for all of my games, but I see why people pirate.

I agree. People pirate because they are tired of blowing $50 on a piece of crap game. Imperial Glory is not a piece of crap, so no biggie. But I have a whole stack of wasted money on crappy games.

Thecrisis5
4th Jun 2005, 00:30
I dowload music, but i do disagree with downloading games. Usally dowloading a song incouarges me to buy the cd, with games once you pirate it thats it.

jaywalker2309
4th Jun 2005, 00:40

That is complete nonsense, there are many many quality titles out there, and people pirate everything. just because `they can`

There is no quick fix, there is no ideal solution. Peoples attitudes towards it is the problem.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 00:43

Are you smoking pot? :confused: There is no reason i can think of that validates pirating.

Nahirean
4th Jun 2005, 00:45
That is complete nonsense, there are many many quality titles out there, and people pirate everything. just because `they can`

There is no quick fix, there is no ideal solution. Peoples attitudes towards it is the problem.

Yes you're right about good titles, but the VAST, and I mean 95% + majority of games that are released are NOT worth the price developers put on them, period.

Nahirean
4th Jun 2005, 00:46
Are you smoking pot? :confused: There is no reason i can think of that validates pirating.

No, but I think you must be if you considered what I said to be "Validating pirating."

jaywalker2309
4th Jun 2005, 00:53
Yes you're right about good titles, but the VAST, and I mean 95% + majority of games that are released are NOT worth the price developers put on them, period.

Have you seen how many developers have disappeared, closed down in the past few years. Literally hundreds. Yes maybe their games werent all HL2 or RTW quality games, but it was THEIR jobs and livelihoods lost.

How would you feel if you developed something, put blood into it, savoured it, loved it, then released it only to get it panned by critics then basically stolen by the public? you wouldnt be too happy about it i can tell you.

Nahirean
4th Jun 2005, 00:59
Have you seen how many developers have disappeared, closed down in the past few years. Literally hundreds. Yes maybe their games werent all HL2 or RTW quality games, but it was THEIR jobs and livelihoods lost.

How would you feel if you developed something, put blood into it, savoured it, loved it, then released it only to get it panned by critics then basically stolen by the public? you wouldnt be too happy about it i can tell you.

That's the nature of the World. If you release a subpar product people are going to tell you about it. Would I feel good if it got "panned" by critics? Of course I wouldn't, but this is a competitive economy. I feel bad about people who lose thier jobs, but I still think that half of the things that pass for a 50 dollar product are laughable -- and people deserve get to slammed (not stolen from) for releasing junk!

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 01:01
No, but I think you must be if you considered what I said to be "Validating pirating."

I appologise if I have took you the wrong way however im very against pirating I dislike what it does to the gaming industry. The people that make these games deserve to be paid if you wish to play there hard work. Im not going to get into to details but if I know of anyone pirating the game I will report them.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 01:05
That's the nature of the World. If you release a subpar product people are going to tell you about it. Would I feel good if it got "panned" by critics? Of course I wouldn't, but this is a competitive economy. I feel bad about people who lose thier jobs, but I still think that half of the things that pass for a 50 dollar product are laughable -- and people deserve get to slammed (not stolen from) for releasing junk!

Games are highly priced to some degree but a lot of man hours go into making them. Expenses need to be covered. Games come down in price after Expenses are covered. If you find the game Expensive wait a year or so ;) check out the bargain bins now for games a couple of years old you will save lots.

Some games like IG i can't wait i buy em right away :p

jaywalker2309
4th Jun 2005, 01:09

Why do games cost so much? it aint the publishers who make all the money on the games, we sell them to retailers at £x ($x) then they sell them in their stores at X * their markup (which i personally think is extortionate)

Companies like play.com sell the games almost half price compared to high street retailers, yet its the same product.

My advice to anyone is look around before buying anything.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 01:16
My advice to anyone is look around before buying anything.

That is excellent advice i second that....... always look around before buying any product you will be amazed. :eek:

EBAY is a good place also!

Nahirean
4th Jun 2005, 01:46
Games are highly priced to some degree but a lot of man hours go into making them. Expenses need to be covered. Games come down in price after Expenses are covered. If you find the game Expensive wait a year or so ;) check out the bargain bins now for games a couple of years old you will save lots.

Some games like IG i can't wait i buy em right away :p

I beleive games like the following were worth my 50 bucks:

R:TW
Max Payne 1 and 2
Doom 3
Blizzard games

But games like Imperial Glory - which is actually unique - it has POTENTIAL to be an EPIC awesome game, and if the DEVS would either: TELL US HOW to mod it, or CHANGE the game- it would be right up there with R:TW.. but as it stands right now, the battles are done all wrong. They misrepresented it in the demo and in the advertising and it is not worth it's sticker price. I've actually uninstalled it and it will probably pop up on EBAY unless they do the smart and practical thing - and let us modify the game.

6.5 / 10 is generous score.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 03:56
I beleive games like the following were worth my 50 bucks:

R:TW
Max Payne 1 and 2
Doom 3
Blizzard games

But games like Imperial Glory - which is actually unique - it has POTENTIAL to be an EPIC awesome game, and if the DEVS would either: TELL US HOW to mod it, or CHANGE the game- it would be right up there with R:TW.. but as it stands right now, the battles are done all wrong. They misrepresented it in the demo and in the advertising and it is not worth it's sticker price. I've actually uninstalled it and it will probably pop up on EBAY unless they do the smart and practical thing - and let us modify the game.

6.5 / 10 is generous score.

Oppinions vary

Dravin
4th Jun 2005, 03:56
Tis right, where there's booty there’s pirates. But I hear that the new securom messes up pirate copy’s, so if they like the game, they are going to have to buy it, flip, what’s £25 these days for the entertainment value you get from games like IG.

Somebody always finds a way around copy protection, it's pretty much a given, copy protection is a hindrance (and not the greatest of ones at that) not a barrier to the pirating of software.

People do not realise though that if downloading continues the people who make music and games wont have the money to make them......

Oh if you made them sit down and think about it they'd probably admit it or at least realise it on some level, it just boils down to not caring.

Until game devlopers start releasing some quality software, this will continue.

It will continue period for the same reason Snickers will find themselves stolen from store shelves, not because Snickers are inferior candy bars but because somebody wants something without having to pay for it. Now what affect cheaper, higher quality and bug free software would have on pirating is a whole 'nother cookie.

Have you seen how many developers have disappeared, closed down in the past few years. Literally hundreds.

This isn't solely because of pirating though is it? While if nobody purchases a developers product because everyone pirates instead they will go out of business. They'll also go out of business just as quick if nobody buys their product not because they are pirating it, but because it's a piece of crap.

Not trying to say that pirating is a non-issue (far from it), just that it's not the only factor in developers going belly up.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 04:10
This isn't solely because of pirating though is it? While if nobody purchases a developers product because everyone pirates instead they will go out of business. They'll also go out of business just as quick if nobody buys their product not because they are pirating it, but because it's a piece of crap.

Not trying to say that pirating is a non-issue (far from it), just that it's not the only factor in developers going belly up.

That is what a DEMO is for you tool. You download the DEMO if you like the demo you do the right thing and buy the game. If you do not like the DEMO you are hardly going to buy the game.

People just download everything because they can and its free …. Half the people that download the full games have not even tried the DEMO im betting not only a waste of there ISP Bandwidth but it shoes how pathetic they really are.

There is no excuse for pirating as there is none for stealing from a shop and commiting other crimes as such. In arabia you loose your hand over it.

Nahirean
4th Jun 2005, 04:29
That is what a DEMO is for you tool. You download the DEMO if you like the demo you do the right thing and buy the game. If you do not like the DEMO you are hardly going to buy the game.

People just download everything because they can and its free …. Half the people that download the full games have not even tried the DEMO im betting not only a waste of there ISP Bandwidth but it shoes how pathetic they really are.

There is no excuse for pirating as there is none for stealing from a shop and commiting other crimes as such. In arabia you loose your hand over it.

You're so keen to insult people and call them names, but in reality you make some of the most moronic posts I've read on this forum.

Dravin
4th Jun 2005, 04:34
Your post is great and all Captain Crunch but I wonder what on earth it has to do with what you quoted because from what I can see it has jack all to do with it.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 04:40
Your post is great and all Captain Crunch but I wonder what on earth it has to do with what you quoted because from what I can see it has jack all to do with it.

was supposed to be a reply not a quate :)

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 04:41
You're so keen to insult people and call them names, but in reality you make some of the most moronic posts I've read on this forum.

Why thank you :) how can you tell that a person is insulting another through a computer? can you see my emotions you must be the ultimate guru!

Dravin
4th Jun 2005, 04:51
was supposed to be a reply not a quote

Am I safe to assume it was a not a reply to my post in particular? It being so still seems a bit of a disconnect but you never know.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 04:54
If my post offended you well im truly sorry …. but the game itself has more violence in it then my post so maybe you are just out for an argument. ? :confused: i do not like game pirates and i do not like those that lean towards supporting it.

Dravin
4th Jun 2005, 05:04
i do not like game pirates and i do not like those that lean towards supporting it.

Would you please point out exactly where I leaned towards supporting it? I made no excuses, validations or apologies for the pirating of software, it is both illegal and immoral, I'm not looking for an argument as much as I'm heartily confused where you are getting the idea that I somehow approve of software piracy (or any piracy for that matter).

If your posts were not meant for me than please explicitly state so and I'll shut up, as it stands this thread is rather muddled.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 05:08
Read back through out the whole thread. Full of excuses supporting the pirate.

Dravin
4th Jun 2005, 05:11
Read back through out the whole thread. Full of excuses supporting the pirate.

Okay, I'm going to take this as the statement that your comments aren't aimed at me, not as explicit as one would have hoped but usable.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 05:20
Well i never mention names in my posts..... only one can assume and assume makes an ... out of you and me have you heard that saying before :D i think its all good a debate is good for the game thats what a forum is for. I do not approve of pirates and this thread should have only had replies in it of stopping it not making excuses for the pirate that the game is to expensive and all of these excuses which i have read all through it.

As for me being a dictator and being rude to people here is utter rubbish its called slanguage it’s a way of speaking where I come from mate and I appologise if it offends you but that isnt my intention. I think that I have been abused and called worse here I have just been PM’ed 3 times religious tripe that I have sinned and all of this and im going to hell by an idiot id prefer not to mention. Its funny because this same idiot plays this game which contains battles..... isnt there something about see no evil.......

Maybe an online multiplayer battle will settle all of it aye

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 05:22
talk about heated :D

Nahirean
4th Jun 2005, 05:47
Why thank you :) how can you tell that a person is insulting another through a computer? can you see my emotions you must be the ultimate guru!

It doesn't take a guru to observe the fact that you called someone a "Tool."

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 06:24

I have been called worse.

You still cant judge my emotions through a computer. I do not see any valid reason why people pirate other then there white trash. Here is 40cent call someone who cares.

Nahirean
4th Jun 2005, 06:35
I have been called worse.

You still cant judge my emotions through a computer. I do not see any valid reason why people pirate other then there white trash. Here is 40cent call someone who cares.

I don't care if you've been called worse (but I can totally see why.) You still called someone names yet you denied that you did so. Also, I suggest you take spelling lessons. If you define "White trash" by poorly educated and under priviledged, I would say that you are exhibiting some signs of that.

CrossWire
4th Jun 2005, 07:15

Hummm! I suppose if one tool calls another tool a tool, then it could be classed as an insult. But on the other hand if one tools calls the other tool a tool after that tool calling him a tool then I would say that this is just fair banter.

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 08:28
I don't care if you've been called worse (but I can totally see why.) You still called someone names yet you denied that you did so. Also, I suggest you take spelling lessons. If you define "White trash" by poorly educated and under priviledged, I would say that you are exhibiting some signs of that.

Have you used that 40cents yet! :D

Mike_B
4th Jun 2005, 09:43
Are you guys back on topic yet?

KiloAlpha4
4th Jun 2005, 10:07
I'm not gonna lie, I believe in full version try before you buy !

hmm that rymes and was unintentional.

I'm sorry but I try As many full version games as I can before buying as many makers fk'd me royaly buying them based on small fixed demo's and paid reviews. Now this being a fact , and knowing that devs etc fix up screens to look better, inflate the game etc, who are really the pirates ? I think both are equally guilty myself...Both.

I have purchased over 300 games thus far and I have gotten ripped on bogus obviously paid reviews, inflated and misleading box adds, buggy ass coding and false dev adds many times, I'd guestimate on 30+ titles of the 300+ and to me obvious fraud advertising and faulty crap software is no better or a lesser crime than pirating software. If we go to buy a car and sell us one brand new with faulty brakes people would be outraged and the maker would have hell to pay not to mention the legal actions but for software it's accepted...why ? faulty is faulty whether a car or software code - perriod. This is why people pirate, no other reason. There is no profit as the games are free to use so there goes that arguement. The way to end pirating is to simply stop putting out crap developed buggy assed games for a quick buck, support your software, be truthful about what is in the game and then people will pay for it-simple as that. I think it was formerly known as having some honor but the gaming industry lost that quality around 5 years ago. Some companies retain a little and I'm waiting to see what this one does with this title. This will decide if I never buy a title by them again or if I do simple as that.

I've seen so many forums where people complain about how crappy the game is then go right out and buy one made by the same dev's only to complain yet again but about a dif title. The way and the power is with your own money. If you keep buying crappy games you are supporting them and saying it's ok to rip us off and put out half assed games because we support you !- simple as that. If people stopped buying crappy made games then they'd have no choice but to make them better and as well, better quality.

CrossWire
4th Jun 2005, 11:44
What do "guestimate" mean m8, can't find it in the dictionary.

Games nower days look spiffing but zero playability. Devs put so much time into graphics/music/video that game play only get's looked at as a after thought. How many times have you said if this game had this, done that or didn’t do this, then it would be great. It's usually just small things that could easily have been adjusted. If the devs actually give as much time to the playability as they do to it's looks. The first Doom games where very addictive due to the playability ideas of that Romeo guy who was a zhit programmer but had some cool ideas for game play, when he left ID, the game's lost that magic touch and just became eye candy.
I believe that's why there is so much diabolically boring games for sale these days that people hate to lose there money on. The picture on the back of the box can't describe the playability of the game.

jaywalker2309
4th Jun 2005, 14:22
I'm not gonna lie, I believe in full version try before you buy !

hmm that rymes and was unintentional.

I'm sorry but I try As many full version games as I can before buying as many makers fk'd me royaly buying them based on small fixed demo's and paid reviews. Now this being a fact , and knowing that devs etc fix up screens to look better, inflate the game etc, who are really the pirates ? I think both are equally guilty myself...Both.

I have purchased over 300 games thus far and I have gotten ripped on bogus obviously paid reviews, inflated and misleading box adds, buggy ass coding and false dev adds many times, I'd guestimate on 30+ titles of the 300+ and to me obvious fraud advertising and faulty crap software is no better or a lesser crime than pirating software. If we go to buy a car and sell us one brand new with faulty brakes people would be outraged and the maker would have hell to pay not to mention the legal actions but for software it's accepted...why ? faulty is faulty whether a car or software code - perriod. This is why people pirate, no other reason. There is no profit as the games are free to use so there goes that arguement. The way to end pirating is to simply stop putting out crap developed buggy assed games for a quick buck, support your software, be truthful about what is in the game and then people will pay for it-simple as that. I think it was formerly known as having some honor but the gaming industry lost that quality around 5 years ago. Some companies retain a little and I'm waiting to see what this one does with this title. This will decide if I never buy a title by them again or if I do simple as that.

I've seen so many forums where people complain about how crappy the game is then go right out and buy one made by the same dev's only to complain yet again but about a dif title. The way and the power is with your own money. If you keep buying crappy games you are supporting them and saying it's ok to rip us off and put out half assed games because we support you !- simple as that. If people stopped buying crappy made games then they'd have no choice but to make them better and as well, better quality.

Personally i think your opinions are the exact reason why piracy will remain.. you TRULY believe that you are entitled to steal the game before you buy it. Its fine that you buy it if you like it, but the majority DON'T. they think well i've got it now, nearly finished it, oh its finished, then delete..

You use the car as your analogy.. So will I.. The `demo` in a car is the test drive. you get to take it for a spin try out some of its features, you decide if you like it and buy it. In your eyes you go to the forecourt, steal the car for a bit, drive it for a few days, then you either abandon it if not like it or return to the forecourt and ask to pay for it. Plain and simple you are doing something illegal. Its the exact same in the games industry.. Quality of product is not the issue here, we can address issues IF they exist.. Car makers can fix/replace brakes if they are an issue.. But to STEAL it is NEVER EVER justified.

Am gonna close this topic as i dont want it to continue as its clear to see this is something that we will never see eye to eye on.

Do NOT open a new topic on it.. Its a never ending issue that can be discussed in off topic forums, not here.

Thank you.