PDA

View Full Version : Intel P4 System Hunch (crashing solution)

SCochrane
3rd Jun 2005, 04:44
I had a hunch last night, maybe the problem was due to Hyper-threading as there seems to be a lot of people with intel p4's that cannot play. This solution worked for myself.

Try This if you experience the problem:

1) Run Project Snowblind as you normally would.
2) press Alt+Tab (at the same time) to take you back to the desktop
3) press ctrl+alt+delete (at the same time) to open task manager.
4) In the processes tab, find snowblind.exe and right click
5) there is now an option which says Set Affinity
6) Uncheck cpu 1 (the second one) so there is only 1 running for snowblind.exe
7) close task manager and click Project Snowblind on your task bar.

See if that helps, I was able to play past the first level because of this, the downside is you have to do it every time you run the game. You can probably rig a shortcut to do it... though.

I got this idea because my brother in law owns a P4 also, the difference is his doesn't have hyperthreading and its perfectly stable, seems that way for me now too.

My System:
Windows XP Professional
Intel P4 3.2ghz with Hyperthreading
1024MB Ram PC3200
Radeon X800 Pro

(Btw, if your having this problem with an amd system do not follow this advice, if this advice doesn't work please let me know, just an idea.)

Raven5655
3rd Jun 2005, 04:48
Without having to do it everytime we try to play the game. And this is still working for you? No crashes?? Please report back to us again in a day or so to let us know if this is still working for you, crash-free. Meanwhile, I'm going to check with the guys who built my gaming computer tomorrow and ask about turning off the hyperthreading. I read somewhere once that the P4's are actually faster when working on a single task with the hyperthreading turned off.

SCochrane
3rd Jun 2005, 05:08
If you do that then your operating system may need to be re-installed; And besides for one game that has a possible problem with HT its not worth it if you ask me.

Try my solution first before you go making radical changes :P

Just follow my instructions and test if it is truly a reason why the game is crashing, if it still crashes then I am obviously wrong.. these things need tested.

My way effectively shuts off Hyperthreading for this one task.

I'm going to research ways to do this with a shortcut - in the mean time.

Raven5655
3rd Jun 2005, 05:18
...I have the day off tomorrow and plenty of time for gaming. Thanks very much for sticking with this. As you can probably see, a lot of people are very frustrated and angry. Sure hope this works.

SCochrane
3rd Jun 2005, 05:25
If it does work for all, it proves the programmers are incompetent with the use of threads. I'll do more testing later on but the preliminary test seems good.

I just got to the 05 Rampage level from the start, no crashing, looks good.

BIOMODDED
6th Jun 2005, 00:19
This worked for Me so I'm happy now!! Thanks a lot and nice find!! :D

S60R
6th Jun 2005, 04:02
Im gonna try this, but fom the mulit player lobby. The process is the Snowblind.mp

I hope it works, cause we all know the patch is a myth...

S60R

jEj
6th Jun 2005, 06:46
I tried this method in MP....I didn't get that sound crashing thing for a whole map, but when the map changed I crashed with some "Out of Memory" error. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with disabling CPU 1, but seeing as I've never crashed with that particular error before, I assumed so.

Still, I only tried it once, so maybe it will work? Let me know how it goes s60r.

geekoid
8th Jun 2005, 06:14
SCochrane and other folks:

I found this program (open source) that allows a program to have it's affinity set as it starts up. I'm going to try it out tonight and see how well it works, which avoids all the farting about at the start of every game. Get it here (http://www.hayseed.net/~emerson/setaffin.html) :D .

geekoid
8th Jun 2005, 15:41
Ok, I've played safely all the way through past Ambush without a single crash using the fix I mentioned in my post below. Why should this be the case? It seems like inept coding if this problem is as a result of simple hyperthreading or multiple CPUs. It also seems like it'd be a simple fix!

Eidos, please check if this is the cause.

S60R
8th Jun 2005, 20:11
I havent played alot, but I have played the last 2 days crash free!!...This is in the multiplayer set, I set the affinity as directed in the Snowblind.mp process. While I havent logged alot of hours, I have gone without a crash, only a strange stutter occurs during gameplay but it is manageable...This could be the solution!

-S60R

BIOMODDED
11th Jun 2005, 11:10
While I agree this is a nice solution the game still needs to be patched. Another thing that annoys me is when I exit the game the first time it starts right back up and I have to exit again. So now, I just hit F4 to quit the game.. How about a patch and some more MP lvls?? Huh, I know it's doubtful but it would be nice. :D

geekoid
11th Jun 2005, 11:15
While I agree this is a nice solution the game still needs to be patched. Another thing that annoys me is when I exit the game the first time it starts right back up and I have to exit again. So now, I just hit F4 to quit the game.. How about a patch and some more MP lvls?? Huh, I know it's doubtful but it would be nice. :D

Yep, agreed. I hope they get on with it :D

killdead
19th Aug 2009, 13:39
can not play project snowblind multiplayer because when I try to register it says:
Servers may be down.Try again .Pleas help me ...:confused::mad2:

jEj
23rd Aug 2009, 10:36
here's help; put the disc back in the box and bring it back to the store. then beat the **** out of the sales person who sold it you. if you didn't obtain it that way, you might as well shove it up your ass as a symbol of eidos ******* you over. bad luck man.