PDA

View Full Version : Laptop advice for me

ilovestrategygames
2nd Jun 2005, 02:21
I am getting a new laptop this week. The questions is, will a 128 vid card keep me going for at least a year if I have a gig of 4200 kingston or Corsair ram? I can afford a 256 6800 vid card if I have to, but the money will set me back big time. I do not want to take that route if I can avoid it. Any suggestions would be helpful :) And also, what is this centrino chip thats only 2.13 speed while Athlon is up to 3.7? I dont know what to pick. i'm lost lol

andycmda
2nd Jun 2005, 13:22
my advice is, go with Toshiba m40 if it comes with Geforce 6600 card

if not, go with Dell, because they've got the best deal. You should choose inspiron 6000d because of the affordable price and you have the option to choose the 128MB x300 video card. Dell now only sells laptops with centrino because of large cache size, long battery life designed for mobility and low power comsumption. Don't be confused my the speed, 1.6 GHZ Pentium M is equivalent to like 2.6 GHZ pentium 4.

Beaglepack
4th Jun 2005, 05:11
my advice is, go with Toshiba m40 if it comes with Geforce 6600 card

if not, go with Dell, because they've got the best deal. You should choose inspiron 6000d because of the affordable price and you have the option to choose the 128MB x300 video card. Dell now only sells laptops with centrino because of large cache size, long battery life designed for mobility and low power comsumption. Don't be confused my the speed, 1.6 GHZ Pentium M is equivalent to like 2.6 GHZ pentium 4.

I'd have to agree with this advice. Also, get as much performance as you can afford, becuase you know how fast the game world evolves. Of course, any computer you buy will be out-dated as soon as you leave the store, so stretching your wallet now will pay off with a computer that will have a longer useful life . . . even if it hurts a bit now to spend those extra bucks. By this time next year, you'll be glad you spent the extra money on that laptop.

I also have to agree about the Pentium M. I have one now, and it is very fast. It handles things even better than my desktop, which has a Pent 4 at 2.4.

Good luck with your new machine!

Captain.Crunch
4th Jun 2005, 06:30
I am getting a new laptop this week. The questions is, will a 128 vid card keep me going for at least a year if I have a gig of 4200 kingston or Corsair ram? I can afford a 256 6800 vid card if I have to, but the money will set me back big time. I do not want to take that route if I can avoid it. Any suggestions would be helpful :) And also, what is this centrino chip thats only 2.13 speed while Athlon is up to 3.7? I dont know what to pick. i'm lost lol

Firstly pay no attention to brand names look at the specs and how much you will get for your buck that is the most important thing in buying a computer.

Secondly if you intend on playing a lot of games I would go for a portable desktop pc rather then a laptop….. Laptops are pokey and they tend to over heat and the fans make a horrible noise that goes over the top of your game sounds trust me on that one.

Laptops you will pay more then what you will get in a desktop also take that in to account.

Desktops are upgradeable much cheaper and easier then a laptop which means you will have it longer.

Laptop screens seem to get dead pixels and stuff up a replacement screen in a laptop will cost you as much as a new one.

The only advantage a laptop has over a desktop is portability that is all…….

good luck with getting your new pc :D

ilovestrategygames
5th Jun 2005, 05:49
Ok, here's a really stupid question and I apologize in advance. What is a portable desk top? I'm looking at my desktop right now and its a pain in the royal (bleep!) to move :eek: Are they those little box shaped ones I always see in PC gamer?

Captain.Crunch
5th Jun 2005, 22:28
Ok, here's a really stupid question and I apologize in advance. What is a portable desk top? I'm looking at my desktop right now and its a pain in the royal (bleep!) to move :eek: Are they those little box shaped ones I always see in PC gamer?

This is a portable desktop :D

http://www.sys.com/products/gaming/portable_desktop.html

ilovestrategygames
6th Jun 2005, 03:53
Gotchya! thx! :)