PDA

View Full Version : Strategy Talk

joxer31
1st Jun 2005, 16:18
How do the Brits annex countries so fast?

I was playing the French and by the start of 1792, Britain had annexed Hanover, Portugal, Morocco, and almost had Spain. :eek: (this is on easy too!)

I made a coalition against them with Austria since I had just conquered the Helvetian Republic but found myself in what seemed like the Hundred Years war.

Britain made a coalition against me with Spain so they were constantly sending armies up the Iberian peninsula from Portugal and Morocco. They were also landing armies in the North of France.

By then end of the 1795 my French citizens were drinking tea instead of wine.

Anyone have a good strategy for beating Britain while playing the French?

GenFerriman
1st Jun 2005, 16:40
Firstly British are my favourites.

Mainly when i tried the French after, i declared war on Spain, and the minor countrys to the east of France Annexed them do the Rule the waves quest and bobs your uncle your just as good if not better than Britain. But i'm watching Austria they tend to be beasts! :eek:

Ryoken
1st Jun 2005, 16:53
Well, defeating Britain is very easy actually, if you know what to do. Their success is their downfall.

First, you need to aim for an alliance consisting of France, Batavia, Savoy, and Spain. Pick Spain up when all the original alliances expire one year into the game. Stay at peace. Instead of building military units, make sure you use your population to pick up the Medical Revolution and Railway quests. Use your excess raw materials to trade for gold. Make sure you grab the Ruler of the Seas quest. By this time, England should be annexing away. Use your diplomatic power to woo Spain.

Once they annex Hannover, declare war and march in with a full compliment of troops. All you have to do is win the battle, even if you lose most of your army. Choose to release Hannover. This will gain huge diplomatic sway for you. Use your expanded navy after the Ruler of the Seas to crush the British Navy. Keep it stationed around Britain and sink any new ships they build.

The British will eventually annex Portugal. Sink the ships they gained, then do a repeat of your Hannover invasion. Repeat with Morocco or any other country they annex (Hannover/Portugal/Morocco 2nd time, Denmark, Saxony, etc). Never annex, just release. This will allow you to diplo-annex like crazy as everyone will love you.

Just build consulates all around and reap the whirlwind.

5/77 Armd
1st Jun 2005, 17:39
Thanks, Ryoken!

I think this will help me out a lot. Just got the game and took out Spain, but I turned around and England already has Portugal and Hannover. I'm going to start over and try the diplomatic approach even though I love to annex!

I was in a hurry with one battle and I decided to let the computer auto-resolve.... NEVER AGAIN!!! Three piece of s*** mob regiments wiped out my army! How? Don't know! Another battle I was playing manually: my army almost lost to club wielding crazy men! I can't believe how resilient they are! I always disbanded the ones I started with to give me a little more capital. I think I'll leave 'em in and see how they do in a fight.

Nial
1st Jun 2005, 18:29
Well, defeating Britain is very easy actually, if you know what to do. Their success is their downfall.

First, you need to aim for an alliance consisting of France, Batavia, Savoy, and Spain. Pick Spain up when all the original alliances expire one year into the game. Stay at peace. Instead of building military units, make sure you use your population to pick up the Medical Revolution and Railway quests. Use your excess raw materials to trade for gold. Make sure you grab the Ruler of the Seas quest. By this time, England should be annexing away. Use your diplomatic power to woo Spain.

Once they annex Hannover, declare war and march in with a full compliment of troops. All you have to do is win the battle, even if you lose most of your army. Choose to release Hannover. This will gain huge diplomatic sway for you. Use your expanded navy after the Ruler of the Seas to crush the British Navy. Keep it stationed around Britain and sink any new ships they build.

The British will eventually annex Portugal. Sink the ships they gained, then do a repeat of your Hannover invasion. Repeat with Morocco or any other country they annex (Hannover/Portugal/Morocco 2nd time, Denmark, Saxony, etc). Never annex, just release. This will allow you to diplo-annex like crazy as everyone will love you.

Just build consulates all around and reap the whirlwind.

*chuckles* Nice.
First thing I do is attack and conquer Spain early. Usually before 10 turns into the game. Walla......you have just doubled your territory. Then turn to diplomacy while building up your infrastructure. An alternate is to take Piedmont as well. Beware though, being to agressive in the early going can bring early coalitions against you.

" Tis a fine line I walk between savoir and tyrant"

joxer31
1st Jun 2005, 21:43
Gotta love this game. I tried the political route by making alliances with Batavia, Spain, and Savoy only to be sucked into a war with Prussia.

Much to my dismay, they were more prepared for war than I was even though I had twice as much territory as they did.

Needless to say, it was a foreshadowing of WW2 as the Prussians entered Paris all too soon.

The battle for Hanover by far was the best. I just couldnt hold the river. :)

Woogie14
1st Jun 2005, 21:52
Playing as France you actually have an advantage. I am playing on Hard and am doing quite well. It was rough going through the first couple of years as Spain, Batvia, Piedmont, and helvetica all declared war on me. I spent all resources building a sizeable army (militia are actually very good melee troops and cheap) Also getting Cav early is a necessity as it rules the battlefield until units can square. Play defensively, if you keep your units in Paris the enemy will surely come across the border, when they do you attack and wipe them out then fall back to paris or attack the next invading army. It will be several turns again before they try that again. Don't go onto the offensive until you have the military to do it. You need at least 5 captains with 3 units each. I usually order them like 2 fusilers and a militia or 2 voltigers and a hussar or lancer unit. Don't worry about England, if you don't piss them off and let them annex people you will be fine, they will piss off enough people that you will be able to start a coalition against them once you have annexed several territories. The key to winning is to play defensively. Fight on ground of your choosing. Piedmont is an excellent deffensive position. Well that is all I have for you right now. Good luck.

Gelatinous Cube
2nd Jun 2005, 00:59
I'm playing a British Game on Hard right now, and I think I can safely say it's the easiest nation to play on that difficulty. Russia was close, but I still wound up losing. Austria, Prussia, and France were just.. hard.

My strategy with Brittain has been a pretty close call so far. The British Isles suck for resources, which means you need to annex someone, and fast. But on Hard, people are declaring war every chance they get, so peaceful annexation seems out of the question for now. What I eventually wound up doing is building up a very large navy of sloops (formed almost entirely from captured enemy ships, as Prussia, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, and Batavia all declared war on me at some point) and using it to invade Morocco. After taking Morocco, I moved on to Tunisia and Tripolitania. These are real easy to take if you use a Divide and Conquer strategy, but if they allied against you they could be tough. In any case, i've taken them, and am now building up a large army to invade Egypt (which is Austrian atm). It's 1810, and there are alot of Nuetral Countries left, France is occupied by Prussia, most of Russia's lands are taken by Prussia, and A very large stretch of land from Egypt up through Anatolia and then all the way west to the Border of Spain is controlled by Austria. Russia has it's capital, but also is very close to peaceful annexation of some of the remaining nuetral countries. I've been at war with the whole world for the last fer years.

Captain.Crunch
2nd Jun 2005, 01:58
Firstly British are my favourites.

Mainly when i tried the French after, i declared war on Spain, and the minor countrys to the east of France Annexed them do the Rule the waves quest and bobs your uncle your just as good if not better than Britain. But i'm watching Austria they tend to be beasts! :eek:

Austria are excellent fighters they are so well known for blockades they slaughted french in many blockades there excellent fighters.

Woogie14
2nd Jun 2005, 16:24
I am playing French on Hard level. It is 1797 I have Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Tunisia, Papal States, Lombardy, Piedmont, Helvetica, Sweden, Hanover, and Batvia. I am Currently invading England (man that really sucks they have a revolt every other turn) and am at 52% assimilation. My largest threat is Russia. Prussia and Austria only have thier capital left and no military. I peacefully annexed all of my territory except for Portugal (they decided to go to war against me with England) All I do is let the computer player annex a neutral state then I invade and give the state back to the country. This increases your relations with the whole world including the country you just liberated. Also another note, I am not using any cheats. Usually in Battles I lose half as much as my opponent or less whether attacking or defending.