PDA

View Full Version : AARs?

Ryoken
1st Jun 2005, 03:58
I think that this game would be great for AAR construction. There are tons of images to pull off the Internet for the time period (unlike Rome, very annoying) and the game progresses in a very methodical fashion (but each turn is important, unlike Civ3).

So I have three questions:

1. What is the interest of the community in reading AARs?

2. What is the interest of the community in making AARs?

3. What is the screenshot button?

Maybe if we make enough AARs, we could get a sub-forum.

For those out of the loop;

What is an AAR?
An AAR is an AFTER ACTION REPORT. Many game forums these days are seeing them appear. A player plays a single player campaign game. They record their actions and then present them in a fictional/story-based format for the community. Here is an example of a simple single turn AAR for France...

July was a rainy month. The sloop Pluton discovered a British frigate sailing off the coast of Portugal. The King worries they may be preparing an invasion of our ally Spain. Our army in Helvetia reports that annexation is nearly complete. Control of the Alps will allow me to have a path into Austria should the need arise in the future. The Batavians grew restless and attacked Hannover. I hope this doesnt draw a declaration of war on our alliance as my troops are tied down in Helvetia.

Gelatinous Cube
1st Jun 2005, 04:12
I rather like AARs, myself. I read alot of them during my RTW-days. I think it's a little wierd when people right them like it was some type of Roleplaying event--although whatever floats your boat, and all that--but it's interesting to see how some people go through the game.

Here's a relatively small one I did on another forum (the forum is for a Neverwinter Nights server--which might be familiar to some of you Roleplayers out there ;)--but I always post random junk in the off-topic forum):

http://www.anchordeep.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2437

*edit*

I see you prefer the more spiced-up version of AARs. Myself, I write them in a less fanciful fashion and make up for it with screenshots, but definately Kudos to those who have the patience.

Ryoken
1st Jun 2005, 14:19
So what is that screenshot button then, I see you used them.

EDIT: Nice little AAR btw.

Nial
1st Jun 2005, 17:53
Like them. Most of my experience with them comes from HOI. Although I played NWN extensively until just recently. :cool:

Ryoken
1st Jun 2005, 17:56
Aye, Paradox is heavy on the AARing. My experience comes from EU2, though I havent written a single player AAR for EU2; only MP.

Ryoken
2nd Jun 2005, 04:49
Well, I have just finished playing on HARD as England for two and a half years taking AAR notes and Screenies using Print-Screen since there is no button apparently.

A sample of my Jan 1792 stats:
Home provinces + Norway + Brittany
7 sloops (gained 5 from Ruler of Seas)
Hated by nearly everyone (Portugal just dropped below 50% :( )
Havent even fought a single land battle yet! :cool:

Expect the first post of my AAR tommorow morning.

Gelatinous Cube
2nd Jun 2005, 05:07
Well, I have just finished playing on HARD as England for two and a half years taking AAR notes and Screenies using Print-Screen since there is no button apparently.

A sample of my Jan 1792 stats:
Home provinces + Norway + Brittany
7 sloops (gained 5 from Ruler of Seas)
Hated by nearly everyone (Portugal just dropped below 50% :( )
Havent even fought a single land battle yet! :cool:

Expect the first post of my AAR tommorow morning.

Print Screen is indeed the button, but unless you've got a program like GrabClipSave you'll have to manually load each screeny onto Paint after hitting the button. I suggest doing a Google for GrabClipSave--it's a program that takes screenies, converts them to whatever format you like (JPEGs for example), names them and numbers them to keep them organized, and then sticks em in a folder. Wonderful program.

Ryoken
4th Jun 2005, 19:41
I guess no one has the "cojones" to make an AAR to run alongside mine. COWARDS!!! SLACKERS!!! :)