PDA

View Full Version : Battles: Questions to Clarify

StudUK
31st May 2005, 07:26
Just to clarify

1) Is there any real advantages in to lining up units side by side rather than behind each other? (see No2)
2) do friendly units in front of other friendly units block their line of sight
3) do unit get defence/line of sight bonuses gaining ground of high elevation
4) do enemy force get penalised for charging up high ground
5) Are artillery unit able to simulate friendly fire but infantry cannot?
6) when playing multiplayer I was surprised I could see my opponents units behind hills. Again is line of sight simulated?

Gelatinous Cube
31st May 2005, 09:10
Just to clarify

1) Is there any real advantages in to lining up units side by side rather than behind each other? (see No2)
2) do friendly units in front of other friendly units block their line of sight
3) do unit get defence/line of sight bonuses gaining ground of high elevation
4) do enemy force get penalised for charging up high ground
5) Are artillery unit able to simulate friendly fire but infantry cannot?
6) when playing multiplayer I was surprised I could see my opponents units behind hills. Again is line of sight simulated?

1) Not that I know of. Although sticking your Cannons behind your infantry will result in some embarassing casualties.
2) I've never checked, but I think so. Even if they don't, there are a whole lot of other things that will give you a penalty because of obstruction.
3) Yes. High Ground is a humongous advantage.
4) Yes, attacking an enemy who has the high ground is a pain in all other respects, too. Namely that you'll enter their Musket and Artillery range long before they're within yours.
5) Correct. I believe the decision to not have Friendly musket fire was a gameplay thing.
6) I don't believe so.

Dravin
31st May 2005, 17:23
Yes, attacking an enemy who has the high ground is a pain in all other respects, too. Namely that you'll enter their Musket and Artillery range long before they're within yours.

Also if the hill is large enough they'll spend enough time suffering under the movement rate penalty for going uphill that when combined with the extended range for high ground results in more carnage than just the high ground would net.

High ground is definitely nice, so are rivers, frozen over or not, for the movement penalty. Is it Finland that has a hill just acrossed from where the AI likes to cross the frozen river? It's a beautiful thing :D

LiQuiD_PaRaDoX
31st May 2005, 18:58
1) Not that I know of. Although sticking your Cannons behind your infantry will result in some embarassing casualties.
2) I've never checked, but I think so. Even if they don't, there are a whole lot of other things that will give you a penalty because of obstruction.
3) Yes. High Ground is a humongous advantage.
4) Yes, attacking an enemy who has the high ground is a pain in all other respects, too. Namely that you'll enter their Musket and Artillery range long before they're within yours.
5) Correct. I believe the decision to not have Friendly musket fire was a gameplay thing.
6) I don't believe so.

In regards to #2 ... is there a way for Artillery to only attack if it is not jeopardizing your units when it is stationed behind them? That's one formation / strategy they used in real life... and its also a group tactic formation included in the game (to have Arty behind infantry lines...)?

Mongoose
31st May 2005, 19:16
I *think* Howitzers with their parabola shaped fire can shoot over the friendly troops in front of them, provided they aren't RIGHT on top of them. Any other troops in fronst of a cannon will be mowed down, simply put. Nothing you can do I believe. If your men are far enough ahead they won't hit you :)

I prefer to change the limber/unlimber to keep my artillery from firing whenever I am moving friendlies.

Gelatinous Cube
31st May 2005, 22:59
In regards to #2 ... is there a way for Artillery to only attack if it is not jeopardizing your units when it is stationed behind them? That's one formation / strategy they used in real life... and its also a group tactic formation included in the game (to have Arty behind infantry lines...)?

There are group tactics, but I havent experimented with it. 6 and 12 pound cannons, and Horse Artillery, are the ones that hurt troops in front of you. These require a decent amount of individual micromanagement, so it's pretty easy to not kill your own dudes. Howitzers and Horse-Drawn Howitzers, as well as Congreve Rockets, go right over your own troops--so there's no worry there.