PDA

View Full Version : 'Way Marks' discovered! Cool battle feature!

gunner54
30th May 2005, 22:21
Following on from Jawbreaker's discoveries (see 'hold position found?' thread) I have done a little experimentation of my own. I now realise you can move units using 'way marks'. All you have to do is hold down ctl while right clicking on the terrain to get your troops to following a prescribed series of movements.

Further, if you, also, give a unit a specific instruction it will carry it out at the last 'way mark.' For instance, I ordered an infantry unit to circle and pass close by an enemy artillery battery (they passed almost shoulder to shoulder), they were ordered to act defensively, and the last 'way mark' was right in front of the battery. They moved steadily to the last mark, went automaticaly from column to line, and only then fired on the gunners (no attempt at charge and melee!).

Units on reaching the last mark will also 'hold' or act agressively when previously so ordered.

After assigning a way marked route for your unit, if, in the heat of battle you forget where you sent it, just click on it again and its remaing way marks will come up on the terrain map.

This is a really cool feature as it opens up all sorts of possibilites for battle manoevers, flanking movements, rearguard action, line breaking, etc, etc. Just send your units off and they will obey your commands exactly.

I have not seen this feature mentioned in any manual, or on any forum, so unless it is so blindingly obvious no one thought it was needed to be pointed out, do I get a medal?

Thecrisis5
30th May 2005, 22:37
Thanks, this is what i wished for in RTW. A waypoint system. Yeah i dont understand why people were complaning about not being able to form straig columns either since all you have to do is hold down right mouse and an outline shows up of were your troops are moving. I like the battlefield in IG, maybe im the only one :(

BabyShambles
30th May 2005, 22:52
Thanks, this is what i wished for in RTW. A waypoint system. Yeah i dont understand why people were complaning about not being able to form straig columns either since all you have to do is hold down right mouse and an outline shows up of were your troops are moving. I like the battlefield in IG, maybe im the only one :(

Rome : Total War has a waypoint system.

Thecrisis5
31st May 2005, 00:25
Seems kind of an over reaction to call me a fool. Just didnt know it was in the game. I prefer IG to RTW because IG has more of a MTW feel to it.

gunner54
31st May 2005, 00:36
If anyone tries the way marks and commands please leave some feed back on here. I'd like to know if they improve your gaming experience, they have certainly improved it for me.

Thanks.

And guys stop the bickering and back biting! :mad:

Gelatinous Cube
31st May 2005, 00:47
Rome : Total War has a waypoint system.

Not that it makes the battles any harder or more interesting... :rolleyes:

Good find on the Waypoints, i'll be sure to check it out.

Thecrisis5
31st May 2005, 18:47
I tried the waypoints and they work well. Using them i got 4 units of hussars charing into the enimies artillery from the back! Thanks for the find, its great :)