PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Empire

imperialist274
29th May 2005, 20:45
I know this has been done before, but with a larger fan base and seeing as the other one went to the fire depths of another page, I'll start this again. Be sure to post with your choice

Why (In-game):

Why (Historically):

Comments (Out of context of above):

My favorite is the Brits,

In-game I like the extra income and navy. Britain can most easily field a large navy as well. Trade, trade, trade, is the word for Britain in Imperial Glory.

Historically, they had some of the most disciplined professional soldiers as well as a kick-a** navy. They were just getting to the peak of their empire around this time as well.

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you :D

Kidshocker
29th May 2005, 21:17
Favorite is the Portugese.

In-Game:They do nothing....

Historically:They were led by a madman queen, and it was because of Portugese freedom fighters(as well as a few brits) that Portugal and Spain were liberated from Napoleon.

Sieur_Drewry
30th May 2005, 14:13
I like france in game because of great map position and good military
I like france historically because france took on a lot of nations at once during this time and won a lot too. Plus France helped get the brits out of America.

KabeDerlin
31st May 2005, 05:11
I like france historically because france took on a lot of nations at once during this time and won a lot too. Plus France helped get the brits out of America.

Yeah but the france in this game is different from the france that helped out America. This is post-French revolution. Just FYI. I chose Russia because through all my studies of history I've always seemed to be fond of Russia. They were really held back, what with being landlocked and the fact that they were almost completely unindustrialized. Yet despite all this every empire at that time feared Russia because if it were every to get a good warm-water port, they would have been unstopable. Unfortunatly this didn't happen until communism hit (IIRC).

Grubnessul
31st May 2005, 15:38
France!

every since a friend of my made a joke about me being the reincarnation of Napoleon I've been playing France in games :cool:

Captain.Crunch
1st Jun 2005, 00:40
GB is the best :eek:

joxer31
1st Jun 2005, 14:33
France

In game: great starting point to control Europe, militarily of course!

Historically: Took on the greatest powers in Europe and made them tremble. (except the Brits, always so stubborn, never know when to quit :) )

GenFerriman
1st Jun 2005, 15:25
That's why i'm proud! :confused: :D

But that's not to say that other Countrys at the time was not Courageous nor Chivalrous.

Captain.Crunch
2nd Jun 2005, 23:49
That's why i'm proud! :confused: :D

But that's not to say that other Countrys at the time was not Courageous nor Chivalrous.

GB was it my friend in those times they where it! by god they where it! :D

Azharas Knight
8th Jun 2005, 08:00
I like Prussia alot ever since I stumbled upon the name of Frederick II(Friedrich II der Grosse). The genius of that man was incredible. Even Napoleon said "Frederick II was probably the greatest military leader ever.". Also, I like their banners and clothes better.

Fasciti
8th Jun 2005, 12:01
I picked France because I like Napoleon but I like the Czars a lot and Prussia has awesome command sounds :)

Fasciti
8th Jun 2005, 12:05
Yeah but the france in this game is different from the france that helped out America. This is post-French revolution. Just FYI. I chose Russia because through all my studies of history I've always seemed to be fond of Russia. They were really held back, what with being landlocked and the fact that they were almost completely unindustrialized. Yet despite all this every empire at that time feared Russia because if it were every to get a good warm-water port, they would have been unstopable. Unfortunatly this didn't happen until communism hit (IIRC).

Russia isn't landlocked....is it?? :confused:

Johnny_H
8th Jun 2005, 17:24
England

In Game : Easy I am on a Island and I can beef that island up to the point its unbreakable and almost impossible for the CPU to capture. That and My navy is going to be incredible.

Historically : The Sun Never sets on the British Empire, The British managed to keep it going longer then anyone else, Wasnt untill after WWII that British Imperialism finally took a nose dive.That and the pomp and pagentry of British regiments has always been a facination of mine. I wish that we coudl have a Imperial Glory II that picks up where this one leaves off just in time for Crimea going right up to and including the boer war. would be excellent IMO.

SO yeah the brits are my favorites followed by Prussia, just cause the German army no matter what century... are simply really interesting in my opinion.

5/77 Armd
8th Jun 2005, 17:53
You might want to try out the game "Victoria" if you haven't already. It'd be right up your alley.

Johnny_H
8th Jun 2005, 23:42
^^ yeah I heard of this game befor, but it dosnt have the really cool RTS battles that IG does, At least i wasnt able to see it. Ide like to see a Imperial Glory II that picks up where this one left off but Victoria might be somethin to look into as well. Thx for the suggestion

Unfortunately, this cinematic works both metaphorically and literally. While showing the train and old photographs makes you feel the epochal changes that the world went through during the height of the British Empire, it also gives you a good idea of what you're in for. Victoria is so overwhelming and complex that you might feel as if you'd been hit by that opening-scene locomotive. Despite having nearly a half-dozen voluminous games of historical strategy under its belt, Paradox Entertainment is still tossing people in at the deep end. Add to this some truly spectacular technical problems, and you've got a game that only diehards can appreciate.
- Gamspot.com review snippet from Victoria

LOL I dunno I barely have enough time to learn and play IG ... on second hand this one might have to stay on teh store shelf.

Moderate Rock
11th Jun 2005, 09:59
I don't have the game but Prussia looks awesome. C'mon Frederick the Great's victories at Rossbach and Leuthen were light years better than anything Napoleon did, and he practically invented total war.

Grandmaster
12th Jun 2005, 19:45
England for me , once i get my navy up and running , england will never be conguered, by the frogs or any other nation. :)

ImperialForce
13th Jun 2005, 20:06
Why (In-game): Britain simply rules! Navy superiority, huge resource production and brilliant trade options definatly mark it as the best, for me!

Why (Historically): They were the greatest empire ever to live. Our borders stretched over a third of the world! Britain has dramatically effected the world in its own way. They have had some brilliant commanders over the ages: Henry V, Nelson, Wellingotn, Churchill to name a few! My ancestors inspire me!
Though as an Englishmen I could be biast!

Comments (Out of context of above): We rule!

giskard
13th Jun 2005, 23:24
After playing them all I have to say Prussia.

Not because its overly hard because its no different from most other nations who all have their limits. EG no research leaders for England at the start etc etc.

Prussia is good because you have to really think and constantly update your strategy to survive. Taking advantage of any opertunities that appear the moment they appear.

Giskard