PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Legend

global
29th May 2005, 14:07
I have been trying to find out if:

1) The ridiculous 'control-hints' have gone from Tomb Raider: Legend?

They really are stupid, why don't they stick to basics and just put intructions in the hand book?

2) If the game play is going to be quick - like all the other Tomb Raiders. Because, on Angel of Darkness - the game was so slow, it was umbearable!

3) If the, even more ridiculous "i feel stronger now" crap has gone too?

If those 3 things are fixed - i'll go back to Tomb-Raider.

Thanks for taking the time!

Regards, global :)

dhama
29th May 2005, 15:11
If I was Lara I would say.. "I feel more enlightened now" :D

Jsc
29th May 2005, 15:24
lol :) :) :)

There is one excellent thing I am excited about. You can run and jump. If only that was in AOD the lost domain would have been much easier.

For once you don't have to take 2 steps back.

Johnny
29th May 2005, 15:26
If the, even more ridiculous "i feel stronger now" crap has gone too?

I agree with you on that one. The whole "I feel stronger now" was THE most ridiculous and unrealistic thing I've ever seen, not to mention annoying. Why in the world would Lara just "suddenly" feel stronger by pushing a box a few inches in front of her? Give me a break. :rolleyes: Eidos did a smart thing handing the Tomb Raider franchise to Crystal Dynamics...

midroth
29th May 2005, 15:29
"I feel stronger now" was THE most ridiculous and unrealistic thing I've ever seen ...

I agree!

dhama
29th May 2005, 19:16
I agree with you on that one. The whole "I feel stronger now" was THE most ridiculous and unrealistic thing I've ever seen, not to mention annoying. Why in the world would Lara just "suddenly" feel stronger by pushing a box a few inches in front of her? Give me a break. :rolleyes: Eidos did a smart thing handing the Tomb Raider franchise to Crystal Dynamics...

No different from Aha! I mean, when you open the fridge and find a pint of milk... do you say Aha?. LOL, it always sounded like she was surprised to find something that she'd traveled all those miles to find anyway:D

global
29th May 2005, 19:21
Good, a consensus then.

So how do we go about finding out whether they've scrapped it?

I am also very concerned about the slow / sluggish movement that existed in AOD, where's the speed and 'reactiveness'?

Anyone else think that it is boarder-line retarded to have those stupid hints in the game, where a hand appears from no-where to tell you that you've just walked near a cupboard with something in it, or near a box you should have pushed?

...the whole point of Tomb Raider is exploration and puzzle-solving, whats the point if you've got someone there telling you what to do all the time?

Thanks for taking the time.

Regards, global.

MillaFan
29th May 2005, 23:14
I agree with most of what's above.

But as for the hand icon, there does have to be some way of knowing if you can interact with parts of the environment. Especially now since gaming is so much more detailed, and all the scenery will probably be very different looking. An option to turn on/off the hand would be perfect.

The movement should be ok now, they're using a new engine.

global
30th May 2005, 10:19
Yeah, hand on and off button - would be great!

Mangar The Dark
30th May 2005, 14:55
I have been trying to find out if:

1) The ridiculous 'control-hints' have gone from Tomb Raider: Legend?

They really are stupid, why don't they stick to basics and just put intructions in the hand book?

2) If the game play is going to be quick - like all the other Tomb Raiders. Because, on Angel of Darkness - the game was so slow, it was umbearable!

3) If the, even more ridiculous "i feel stronger now" crap has gone too?

If those 3 things are fixed - i'll go back to Tomb-Raider.

Thanks for taking the time!

Regards, global :)

1. The hand hint thing never bothered me at all. In the first three TR games, every usable object looked pretty much the same, so it was obvious when you could use or move something. In AOD, there was a lot more variety, so the designers simply tried to cut down on the tedium of having to use a lot of pointless trial and error. I think it was a good decision, much like how graphic adventures such as Syberia and Longest Journey use a more friendly interface than say Maniac Mansion or Zak McKracken did.

2. I did hear that the gameplay would be more action-oriented than ever before. I can't remember where I read it, but I know I saw somewhere that they said they were trying to recapture the feel of the original game, but with much more intense action. I hope they don't go overboard though. Part of TR's appeal, for me, was wandering around through quiet corridors knowing that something was probably going to leap at me at any moment. If the action is too frantic, the tension will diminish.

3. Not sure about the "I feel stronger now." It WAS pretty silly in AOD. The idea of being able to strengthen Lara sounded cool in concept, but the implementation of it was really contrived.

midroth
30th May 2005, 15:43
2. I did hear that the gameplay would be more action-oriented than ever before. I can't remember where I read it, but I know I saw somewhere that they said they were trying to recapture the feel of the original game, but with much more intense action. I hope they don't go overboard though. Part of TR's appeal, for me, was wandering around through quiet corridors knowing that something was probably going to leap at me at any moment. If the action is too frantic, the tension will diminish.
...You are right. Absolute. The "lack" of action was/is the "relaxion"!
Action we/I have in RL enough. But some is ok.