PDA

View Full Version : CD, DVD or ESD?

jaywalker2309
26th May 2005, 11:47
Poll time -

How would you prefer to get a game?

GenFerriman
26th May 2005, 16:26
Hope you don't mind me posting a reply, but i just wanted to say i voted for ESD, because i would much prefer this method extremely and wish the UK would start up some big online download site for Gamers "Full games." But remember some of us have Debit Cards! Direct to Drive is a good example except for its limit of selection of games to download.

What it should be!
Cheaper: No need to charge more than getting it delivered such as £17.99 brand new from Play for IG, should be £10-£15 with esd instead.
Availability: Have all the latest games and outcomming games ready to download. The extra option of burning to DVDs or CDs once downloaded as a back-up.
Payment: Should be like Paypal can use more of less any card.
Customer Support: Phone numbers and Live chat room rather than an e-mail method is prefered.

Outcome would be more British Trade in E-commerce and Happy Gamers!

So anyone who has a spare million out there and wants to invest, this would be a nice earner!

Thank you,

BlackCoat
26th May 2005, 17:00
Yup..esd would be best, but who was a credit card anyway?
I would need a account here in Finland to where i could send the money over internet, then it would be perfect. And you would even get real money -€uros- ;)

That having been said,
I hate a few things.. with a passion:
Multiple discs, and the need to switch those back and forth
Even having to put one disc in to play the game, means you have to exit whatever was in atm... and when the station isnt at the most convenient place, accidents happen, which may destroy the disc. Happy go get a new one, if you can afford it.... but at €55 a game, thats like two-three games a year, tops.

Oh, and copy protection that screwes your entire compurter over.
All due to my frequent hunting of unknown/mysterious files, and deleting those..

So my vote went to DVD.
But incase you would have it arranged so that i can pay for it....Electronic.. and isnt there this eu law that declares that money transfers within eu should cost no more than from one part of the country, to another?

[WIZ]Vanluck
26th May 2005, 17:11
CD, but no idea why :-)

Mike_B
26th May 2005, 17:55
DVD. Games cheaper because of esd? Half Life 2 wasn't, for the same amount I rather have disc, booklet & case.

Shadowknight
26th May 2005, 18:05
Hmmm, ESD, don't agree yet. Downloading games online can take long for alot of people and not only paying for full games online, is it safe? well as a webmaster i can tell you that internet shopping is not safe and for paypal, think again. paypal is unsafe and for the protection you believe paypal offers well trust me, doesn't offer what it says.

Coax74
26th May 2005, 20:56
I voted CD. Mainly because I don't have DVD on my computer.

Broadside
26th May 2005, 22:50
DVD for me - A bit more resilient than CDs and we don't need multiple disks to load the game. Would also be happy with downloads though. CDs were OK for their day, but hey, lets move on........

GenMoore
27th May 2005, 20:34
Jaycw2309, why is this a sticky, do not see the need of it.

This should be in Non topic. :D

Sorry, if i have ruffled some feathers. :o

sick
27th May 2005, 21:07
When I buy something I want something touchable. So only option 1 and 2 left.
Don't really care if it's on CD, but if I really have to choose my vote goes for DVD (so there is some space left for bonus material ;))

Btw, I wonder when we start to see games that require at least one HVD (http://www.optware.co.jp/english/index_tech.htm) to store data on. A HVD can store up to one TB (that's 1000 GB's.) :eek:

imperialist274
27th May 2005, 21:32
DVD. Shorter download times, nicer case, nicer manual (usually :mad: ). I voted CD though. Thought differently after I voted for it and can't go back :rolleyes:

BlackCoat
27th May 2005, 22:52
Btw, I wonder when we start to see games that require at least one HVD (http://www.optware.co.jp/english/index_tech.htm) to store data on. A HVD can store up to one TB (that's 1000 GB's.) :eek:

2026, with the first semiworking AIs, and in this case a godgame where you make the rules in a virtual reality surrounding.
That game, Black&white XXV, will take 3 HVD:s ;)

jaywalker2309
27th May 2005, 22:54
Jaycw2309, why is this a sticky, do not see the need of it.

This should be in Non topic. :D

Sorry, if i have ruffled some feathers. :o

Was only going to be a sticky til the weekend :)

Wanted as many responses as possible

CrossWire
28th May 2005, 10:49
If you got decent comprehensive manuals with games I would go for DVD, but seeing how these days you end up with nothing more than a crappy useless PDF file, I would go ESD, makes sence, cheaper and no need for disk changing.