PDA

View Full Version : Commanders

Thecrisis5
25th May 2005, 01:59
Do commanders make any differnce besides commanding troops? For instance, does napoleon make any difference on the battle field? If not they should add this in the expansion pack. Somthing similiar to RTW were the genral gets a body guard unit.

Commisar Adam
25th May 2005, 02:09
Do commanders make any differnce besides commanding troops? For instance, does napoleon make any difference on the battle field? If not they should add this in the expansion pack. Somthing similiar to RTW were the genral gets a body guard unit.

Generals are good for nothing except commanding troops. No matter what the colonel, marshal, etc, the soldiers will always perform the same way. Even rank doesn't effect the performance.

n0z3k1ll3r
25th May 2005, 02:42
Somthing similiar to RTW were the genral gets a body guard unit.Oh please no! I hated the "kill the general" focus of the TW series, where it basically decided the battle. Besides, Napoleonic War generals had the sense to stay far enough from the frontlines to avoid injury in most cases.

Cro_Knight
25th May 2005, 03:09
what bout when napoleon retreated from waterloo with guard all round him he was pretty close to the fighting

n0z3k1ll3r
25th May 2005, 03:30
Yeah, I did say "in most cases", there's exceptions. They certainly didn't go dashing about in the fighting like Medieval or Roman generals though.

emoxcore
25th May 2005, 04:18
the commanders need to have a little more rpg elements. like "faster marching, better morale, better attacker, etc"

the RTW way was fun since you became more attached to your chosen hero.
right now in IG i dont see any use for commanders other than a place to put my units in. it doesnt matter who the commander is.

Cro_Knight
25th May 2005, 04:43
yeah its a real let down maybe u could upgrade commanders with skill and stuff but it doesnt look like it will happen BIG LET DOWN

Silent_Scope
25th May 2005, 06:42
perhaps you could have settings which allow you to choose if you want a commander in the battle with his aides?

Nial
25th May 2005, 22:14
Oh please no! I hated the "kill the general" focus of the TW series, where it basically decided the battle. Besides, Napoleonic War generals had the sense to stay far enough from the frontlines to avoid injury in most cases.

Example......Marshal Ney leading the cavalry charge that almost broke the center of Wellingtons lines at Waterloo.

Especialy in the french Grande Armee. Where personal courage was held in such high esteem in a general officer.

But having said that. Id like to see officers, but just as window dressing and flavor. Maybe a small + or - modifier. But not like TW.

dr dooom
25th May 2005, 23:01
what bout when napoleon retreated from waterloo with guard all round him he was pretty close to the fighting

in 1796 in the beginnings of italian campaign napoleon led his forces through corniche - under fire of english ships.

also in assault on lodi - 10th may 1796 - he on head of his troops assaulted and won very important bridge

and that's only first italian campaign...