PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions About Multiplayer :)

Mongoose
24th May 2005, 20:40
Hello, I am a Praetorians player who has been playing online for about 2 years now and was planning on buying IG soon and starting to play MP mainly on there. But theres very few specific posts about the facets of multiplayer. Heres my questions, would love it if someone could answer before I leave to go buy it this weekend:

1) Land AND Sea battles for multiplayer? How many maps each? Or just one water map which is generic?
2) How many players max without lag, and how does this unit sharing thing work for 2v2 or 2v1?
3) How is the purchasing system before a battle? How many units you looking at average without lag in an MP?
4) Anyone who has played it: How balanced do the countries seem to be?
5) Going along with the former....What kind of bonuses would each country get? Completely different troops like in Praetorians? Different strengths for certain troops? Same troops, with some bonuses? Fill me in :)
6) Any coastal naval battles? Think that would be badass and make for more strategy if chunks of land appeared in sea battles.

If anyone can answer these with anything intellegent and have actually played online, let me know. More constructed the answers the better! Real curious :)

jaywalker2309
24th May 2005, 22:33
Hello, I am a Praetorians player who has been playing online for about 2 years now and was planning on buying IG soon and starting to play MP mainly on there. But theres very few specific posts about the facets of multiplayer. Heres my questions, would love it if someone could answer before I leave to go buy it this weekend:

1) Land AND Sea battles for multiplayer? How many maps each? Or just one water map which is generic?
2) How many players max without lag, and how does this unit sharing thing work for 2v2 or 2v1?
3) How is the purchasing system before a battle? How many units you looking at average without lag in an MP?
4) Anyone who has played it: How balanced do the countries seem to be?
5) Going along with the former....What kind of bonuses would each country get? Completely different troops like in Praetorians? Different strengths for certain troops? Same troops, with some bonuses? Fill me in :)
6) Any coastal naval battles? Think that would be badass and make for more strategy if chunks of land appeared in sea battles.

If anyone can answer these with anything intellegent and have actually played online, let me know. More constructed the answers the better! Real curious :)

1) Land maps is 50 i believe, sea maps am not sure (there is more then 1)
2) Its 4 players max, and as long as all decent machines lags not really noticeable (theres a nice lagometer in the top corner) - The 2v2 works in that 1 team shares everything, so troop buying and all troop control is available to both players throughout, with resources being the same regardless of number of players - personally am not a big fan of this, but it can be interesting as you can get into fights just picking the units hehe.
3) Host selects size of points available to buy units with. If you max out both teams with the cheapest units (for highest unit count) you most likely still wouldnt lag out if machines are decent spec
4) Not really sure to be honest, i only ever played as English :)
5) Again i am too sure as not a big MP person on IG yet. Will speak to the QA team in the morning and find out (unless someone answers in the mean time)
6) As there are numerous sea battles to do, am sure there must be land visible as it would be a bit of a con to say 1 square bit of water was different to an identical square bit of water :)

Mongoose
24th May 2005, 22:40
Thanks Jason :) If anyone else could give me their views I'd appreciate it.

A bit of a bummer for multiplayer community that 2v2 shares units...I don't see the logic in it either. Doesn't help any performance issues, doesn't change the number of troops in a battle, doesn't really change anything about the battle. COULD this be fixed in a patch, not nessecarily WILL?

Just remembered one more question, are 1v1v1 or 1v1v1v1's possible?

jaywalker2309
24th May 2005, 22:43
Thanks Jason :) If anyone else could give me their views I'd appreciate it.

A bit of a bummer for multiplayer community that 2v2 shares units...I don't see the logic in it either. Doesn't help any performance issues, doesn't change the number of troops in a battle, doesn't really change anything about the battle. COULD this be fixed in a patch, not nessecarily WILL?

Just remembered one more question, are 1v1v1 or 1v1v1v1's possible?

only 2 teams.. so attacker/defender always..

I would like it to be looked at in a patch (the unit sharing issue) but i dont control what they are going to look at.

Mongoose
24th May 2005, 22:47
Mind chipping in with the general communities views? I'm sure that they would be willing to co-operate if they knew that their multiplayer fan-base was on the line! Look what they did with Praetorians: due to their work on multiplayer and fixing MP issues, they got a ton more sales just by having a successful MP community :)

Personally, I'd like 2v2 and maybe even 3v3's for those with nice comps and internet connections. No shared troops, and balanced countries.