PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions

DESPOT
23rd May 2005, 23:25
Hi everyone, I just got the game 3 days ago and have been playing it for a fair amount of time ever since. I like it, but I have to say I am pretty disappointed. I was expecting a much better product from how much praise people were giving it prior to its release. So far I have played as Austria and France and both times I have run into the same problem. I cannot expand my territory an inch without having everyone else on the god damn continent forming coaltions against me and destroying me before I ever get a chance to kick anyone's ass. Don't get me wrong I am well aware of the diplomatic side of things. I have consulates and even news paper buildings in many places but that only gets the big guys even more pissed at me. While I am struggling to accomplish a single thing, most of the other nations seem to have no problems expanding their territory and no one else seems to care much about it. Is this a game's flaw or am I missing a crucial piece of information here? Also, is it just me or is it impossible to heal or otherwise make up for the units lost in battle? Finally, what is the best way of increasing your gold income and making sure it stays up? I have many land and sea routes, but I rarely pull in more than 900g per turn. Am I missing something?

jaywalker2309
24th May 2005, 09:05
Hi everyone, I just got the game 3 days ago and have been playing it for a fair amount of time ever since. I like it, but I have to say I am pretty disappointed. I was expecting a much better product from how much praise people were giving it prior to its release. So far I have played as Austria and France and both times I have run into the same problem. I cannot expand my territory an inch without having everyone else on the god damn continent forming coaltions against me and destroying me before I ever get a chance to kick anyone's ass. Don't get me wrong I am well aware of the diplomatic side of things. I have consulates and even news paper buildings in many places but that only gets the big guys even more pissed at me. While I am struggling to accomplish a single thing, most of the other nations seem to have no problems expanding their territory and no one else seems to care much about it. Is this a game's flaw or am I missing a crucial piece of information here? Also, is it just me or is it impossible to heal or otherwise make up for the units lost in battle? Finally, what is the best way of increasing your gold income and making sure it stays up? I have many land and sea routes, but I rarely pull in more than 900g per turn. Am I missing something?

I hate to say it but it sounds like you must be missing something, as we have had many many reports of peoples tactics to do this and that, and people taking over the whole map etc.

I actually dont play the game per se, but am sure someone on here will gladly help you.

Gelatinous Cube
24th May 2005, 09:10
In my game as France I took Spain early on with no problems. In my current game, as Russia, i've taken the Ottoman Empire and am currently invading Austria.. no coalitions against me. I did have a bunch of coalitions against me as England, but in that game I'd worked pretty hard at making the world hate me.

McCain
24th May 2005, 10:46
Finally, what is the best way of increasing your gold income and making sure it stays up? I have many land and sea routes, but I rarely pull in more than 900g per turn. Am I missing something?
Well aside from trade routes, and building certain buildings that improve your economy, you can sell extra resources you might have. Also I've got a ton of gold, over fourty thousand, most of which has come from joining defensive packs offered to me, and from countries seeking to move Armies through my territories.

OGGleep
25th May 2005, 01:57
1. Start slow. If you try to do too much too fast you will get creamed. The problem is that the AI respects strength. Even if you have a good relation with another country, if your army gets mauled attacking someone, other countries will pounce.

2. Declare war first. If you don't, you will bring down everyone and their mother against you.

3. Be very careful on who you DOW. Make sure they are not in an alliance before you attack. If they are, wait until their alliance expires. Check the diplomacy menu every turn to see who is allied with who.

4. Form defensive pacts. People will be less likely to DOW you if you have strong allies backing you up.