PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer problem 'Connection lost'

Rowlf TM
23rd May 2005, 16:40
Hi all, can anyone help me out with this one?

I have gone into gamespy and tried to join and host games, but when I click 'launch' I end up in the games' multiplayer set-up room on my own.

Then it says connection lost.

Could someone put an explanation of how to go about using multiplayer as the manuals are very poor, and the set up screen doesnt tell you what to type in the boxes to the left of the screen.

I have seen about 6 people in the gamespy imperial glory lobby, is this a sign that nobody else can get it to work or is multiplayer really bad?

I use zone alarm, which is on low settings (learning mode', and that works fine for all games.

Thanks in advance.

jaywalker2309
23rd May 2005, 16:53

I have gone into gamespy and tried to join and host games, but when I click 'launch' I end up in the games' multiplayer set-up room on my own.

Could someone put an explanation of how to go about using multiplayer as the manuals are very poor, and the set up screen doesnt tell you what to type in the boxes to the left of the screen.

I have seen about 6 people in the gamespy imperial glory lobby, is this a sign that nobody else can get it to work or is multiplayer really bad?

I use zone alarm, which is on low settings (learning mode', and that works fine for all games.

Thanks in advance.

Whats your name in GS, i am in the lobby now.. Check with zonealarm if its registered IG as an application.. its possibly there waiting for you to change the ? to a tick.

Rowlf TM
23rd May 2005, 17:29
Hi, thanks for your quick response.

As you know I tried once I had configued zone alarm and still not joy.

And I don't want the risk of turning my firewall off so I'm at a dead end for now.

jaywalker2309
23rd May 2005, 17:39
Hi, thanks for your quick response.

As you know I tried once I had configued zone alarm and still not joy.

And I don't want the risk of turning my firewall off so I'm at a dead end for now.

Am home now, have you tried playing someone who definitely can play okay.. just to make sure tis not their end etc?

Rowlf TM
23rd May 2005, 17:56
yes mate, I have tried playing with ones that can host/join, and have tried both hosting and joining.

Have just met another guy in the lobby with exactly the same error message.

But he has Mcafee not zone alarm. strange

robin van eyk
24th May 2005, 00:35
when i press on internet and host a game online and press create game i see my locall IP adress left in the corner . it should be my external IP adress

so nobody can join .

i cant join a game on gamespy but i can join a game true internet by direct IP .

very strange if you ask me .

anyone can help me on this 1 ??

thanks in advance !!!
(by the way i dont have a router)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by robin van eyk : Today at 02:43 PM.

Duke of Marlborough
24th May 2005, 11:23
when i press on internet and host a game online and press create game i see my locall IP adress left in the corner . it should be my external IP adress

so nobody can join .

i cant join a game on gamespy but i can join a game true internet by direct IP .

www.whatismyip.com this will give you your ip.

or try 'START' - "RUN" then type in ipconfig /all

hope this helps

Duke of Marlborough
24th May 2005, 11:27
yes mate, I have tried playing with ones that can host/join, and have tried both hosting and joining.

Have just met another guy in the lobby with exactly the same error message.

But he has Mcafee not zone alarm. strange

I have tried both McAfee and ZoneAlarm, providing both set up correctly then you should have no problem, As Jay says you must bind IG in ZoneAlarm as an allowed application, McAfee has no problems what so ever.

If you have a router then you must open the following :

TCP port 6601
UDP port 6601

The only thing that will then let you down is your ISP, A serious problem with connection, or a below / or average spec setup with your PC.

hope this helps

jaywalker2309
24th May 2005, 11:28
I have tried both McAfee and ZoneAlarm, providing both set up correctly then you should have no problem, As Jay says you must bind IG in ZoneAlarm as an allowed application, McAfee has no problems what so ever.

If you have a router then you must open the following :

TCP port 6601
UDP port 6601

The only thing that will then let you down is your ISP, A serious problem with connection, or a below / or average spec setup with your PC.

hope this helps

Another thing is if you have 2 LAN cards set up.. it will pick the first LAN card as its default to use in game. I am currently trying to find a way to alter this as there is no way within IG to do it.

Duke of Marlborough
24th May 2005, 11:30

Read article above

which boxes and where are you looking ?

I think most people are mastering the Single Player and prefer that to playing Multi. Mabye in a few weeks we will see a few more people appear.

Duke of Marlborough
24th May 2005, 11:31
Another thing is if you have 2 LAN cards set up.. it will pick the first LAN card as its default to use in game. I am currently trying to find a way to alter this as there is no way within IG to do it.

Easiest way is to disable the one you dont need to use, I used to do that before I changed to a router...

robin van eyk
24th May 2005, 11:51
www.whatismyip.com this will give you your ip.

or try 'START' - "RUN" then type in ipconfig /all

hope this helps

yea yea i know my IP you dont understand my problem .

when i host online i see my internal ip adress and thats not good .
i know what me external ip adres is so.......

the fact is i cant join anybody and i cant host because nobody is conecting .

i only can join a game true direct ip !!!

dont get it !!

jaywalker2309
24th May 2005, 11:59
Easiest way is to disable the one you dont need to use, I used to do that before I changed to a router...

Found someone today who uses 1 NIC for getting internet coming in, but uses ICF on another NIC to share the connection to the rest of his family, ie if he disables it then cuts off rest of internet.

Its a rather unique situation but nevertheless something that should be `fixable` without having to tell him to buy a router :)

Rowlf TM
24th May 2005, 16:24
Zone alarm knows to allow IG to have access etc, its set up correctly.

I have just been able to join a game using someones ip directly bypassing gamespy within the multiplay section of the game.

But I then tried hosting and silencer was unable to find my game.