PDA

View Full Version : My Review

Erithtotl
22nd May 2005, 23:13
Full Review (http://erithtotl.com/Blogs/gaming/archive/2005/05/22/528.aspx)

Imperial Glory
PC

I had not followed this game very closely but once it got close to release I started to get really excited about it. The prospect of a 'Napoleonic: Total War' was pretty interesting, me being a big fan of the 'Total War' games in general, but agreeing that a change of pace into the time of gunpowder would be refreshing and offer new challenges.

The game starts promising, presenting you with a large strategic map covering Europe. It's clear that though this is ultiamtely a different game the designers took a lot from the Total War games, and why not, they're some of the best RTS/Strategy games ever made.

One thing become clear as I began to work my way through the game. This is much more of a 'gamey' game than the Total War games...

Kobra007
22nd May 2005, 23:36
Your review has many errors. One glarring one, is:

"On top of that, most tactical options are missing. The ability to quickly organize your army into a formation, and keep it that way is non-existant. While it is possible to put individual units into formations such as line, column and square, there is no concept of this for your army as a whole."

Incorrect, there are army formations! Hit "T", then push the "Tactics" button to open up army formations and tactics screen.. Can't believe you missed that!

Also, as for Morale, the PDF manual talks about Morale being in the game, and even shows unit icons showing Morale. Perhaps a bug is preventing Morale from working? Do we have a developer comment on Morale and why it isn't working properly? You can see what I mean by viewing the PDF manual.

Erithtotl
22nd May 2005, 23:42
Your review has many errors. One glarring one, is:

"On top of that, most tactical options are missing. The ability to quickly organize your army into a formation, and keep it that way is non-existant. While it is possible to put individual units into formations such as line, column and square, there is no concept of this for your army as a whole."

Incorrect, there are army formations! Hit "T", then push the "Tactics" button to open up army formations and tactics screen.. Can't believe you missed that!

Also, as for Morale, the PDF manual talks about Morale being in the game, and even shows unit icons showing Morale. Perhaps a bug is preventing Morale from working? Do we have a developer comment on Morale and why it isn't working properly? You can see what I mean by viewing the PDF manual.

I have modified my review to note the 'tactics' button. Since this was neither in the printed manual or the tutorial I never noticed it. After testing it out it does work, though units tend to fall out of formation during movement, and you cannot create on the fly formations that will hold.

As for morale, that is not an error in my review, it was quite accurate. As I said 9 times out of 10 units will fight to the death, even militia. Maybe it was the intention in the manual that morale should accurately be modeled, but it was not.

While I have a negative overal impression of the game, if there are indeed 'many' errors as you have said, please point them out to me and I will gladly correct them.

Kobra007
22nd May 2005, 23:55
Well I don't want to scour through for them all, but most are a bit of what I would call Subjective. In otherwords, I love the game, you don't.

As for not noticing the tactics, I recommend reading the included PDF manual with the game, it is about 100x more encompassing than the printed manual and tutorials.

As for Morale, it appears it is in the game, but limited, and under specific conditions it comes into play. One of the bars on your troops is for Morale, but i've really not experimented with it much. I don't think they fleshed out the morale system enough though - but it doesn't sour the game for me. Hopefully they'll patch in morale and a game speed slider, that is about all I think most people are complaining about.

thrawniejoe
23rd May 2005, 00:03
I love the game so far....
Only problem I have with it, is the AI always going after my artillery and my guys helping them get to it.... Pisses me off each time... I out class the enemy in every way.... My Artillery is protected by Infantry on all sides.... but some how the AI always get to one of them!

emoxcore
23rd May 2005, 04:06
Often you are left with just clicking 'next turn' for several turns in a row until your manpower grows up to a level sufficient enough to produce another military unit or construct a building.

-haha this is so true. a little annoying but well..whatever.

overall nice review. i agree with most of what you said. especially about the sea battles. often i find myself just hitting auto calc since controlling 4 or more ships without a pause command is just crazy.

another thing is the pause command. i know its spacebar but that doesnt really help. if only i can move my troops while in pause mode life would be so easier (specially those godforsaken sea battles)

the camera angle is a little awkward at times too.