PDA

View Full Version : someone needs to make a US CIVIL WAR mod

elementgoo
22nd May 2005, 19:24
I think that the first thing that should be created is a US CIVIL WAR mod, this is the perfect kind of game to model the civil war!

Thecrisis5
22nd May 2005, 19:49
My only beef with this is that they (the modders) would have to re do the map and battle maps. :( And only two factions :( But the cival war is really intresting and i would dowload it. :)

sandbag69
22nd May 2005, 19:53
i would buy it no problem....if it had a Map Editor!

Just think, IronClads v Monitors

Repeating rifles and Gatling guns....lovelly

Stereophobia
22nd May 2005, 22:55
Nah like most of the people outside of the USA I dont really give a damn about the US civil war, just because its the only real history the country has, dosent make it a great genre.
A game similar to Colonisation however I would be interested in, more nations in play, the natives to cause trouble, or assist, and the eventual break for independence (possible an expansion focused on the war of independence)

jeffdan9
23rd May 2005, 00:20
Yeah, bring on Age Of Empires 3 (AOE discovery, with europe and north america colonies). Did you see the screenshots, they really looked real, but I don't think the graphics will be that good, the gameplay will be the origional and time tested AOE style. Not great anymore, but makes for $$$.

Thecrisis5
23rd May 2005, 01:21
@ Stereophobia

Intrest in historical subjects is just a matter of opinion. I personally dont have intrest in the english civil war or revolution. Dont forget about WW II when we helped the british and russians defeat the Nazi's. Thats probably the most important time in our history. Now we(the Us) suck.

Impeach Bush!

Stereophobia
23rd May 2005, 09:22
@ Stereophobia

Intrest in historical subjects is just a matter of opinion. I personally dont have intrest in the english civil war or revolution. Dont forget about WW II when we helped the british and russians defeat the Nazi's. Thats probably the most important time in our history. Now we(the Us) suck.

Impeach Bush!
Dont worry, since Iraq the world hates us too! :D

Forgot to say, its refreshing to see an American mention HELPING us in the war and not "we saved your ass"

n0z3k1ll3r
23rd May 2005, 10:06
Biggest problem with the ACW is the weapon of the time. The introduction of the Rifled Musket made infantry astoundingly deadly. If it was halfway realistic the game would deadlock quickly into defensive warfare, just like the war almost did in 1865.

_Tsar_M_
23rd May 2005, 13:59
Yay, a CW mod would be great.

emoxcore
23rd May 2005, 14:20
enough with the history based mods XD. theres no creativity in that.

now i have an idea of making a steampunk US Civil War mod....but...its just an idea :(

Kokopelli
23rd May 2005, 18:59
Why does every forum have to have a thread that degrades into the senseless, "My country is better than your country" bulls**t? This is begining to remind me of kids in two opposing summer camps located at oppisite ends of a pond, shouting insults at eachother... :rolleyes:

Getting back on topic... A Civil War mod would be fun to play, but like some else already mentioned, it'd take a lot of work. Depending on the detail, the authors would have to recreate a new campaign map of the United States. In addition, they would have to recreate the major battlefields in detail to highlight the key points. Not to mention, heavy scripting for the AI.

E.g. If I am playing the Conferderacy and I want attempt to move Hood's forces to a flanking manuever around the 20th Maine on Little Round top, it would be a major dissapointment if they immediately charged down hill before I even got close to them. Especially when Chamberlin only did that manuever as a last resort, and by that time, both sides had taken a heavy beating.

Point is, if it is going to be done, it has to be done right. Too many Civil War based games have come out recently that are seriously lacking in fun and gameplay. You could wait for CDV's American Conquest II later this year, but those titles are something to be desired. Anyways, that is just MHO.

BANANAMAN
23rd May 2005, 19:00
Hi there Big Duke!

Relax man! Forget about all that politics stuff. I think you might (besides Imperial Glory) be somewhat interested in this link:

http://www.tothegame.com/screenshot.asp?id=4159

Enjoy! ;)

Mike_B
23rd May 2005, 19:22
Keep it back on topic guys, otherwise I'll keep deleting stuff. Political discussion is always a touchy subject so it's best to just stay away from it. Nothing wrong with the original topic so carry on.

OGGleep
23rd May 2005, 19:53
Aww Political discussion is great, especially in Historical wargame forums. I would urge the mods to let healthy discussions continue as long as they didn't turn abusive.

That said, the Americain Civil war is one of the last great conflicts in that era. There are a number of great battles, and this engine would be perfect for some of the smaller lesser known engagements, and to represent part of larger battles. I don't know how well the strategic system would work with Civil war, but I would love to give it a go.

An easier fit for this engine may be shortly after 1776, where there were a number of Foriegn powers had claims, on the continent. A map covering from mexico to alaska, gulf of mexico to the caribbiean would be really cool.

Kokopelli
23rd May 2005, 20:29
Well, given the functionality of the engine, why not have an alternate scenario involving the North American continent? You have the major powers, France, Britian, Russia Spain, and the fledgling American army. Each side is pushing for large slice of the proverbial "American Pie." You can keep time around 1799 while being able to wage Napoleonic warfare across the North American Continent.

I know it's not historically accurate, but I would dl that mod if it came out.

Thecrisis5
23rd May 2005, 21:14
Sorry about getting of topic, just though i'd clear things up. Its true that charging across an open field with rifled muskets on the other end would be suicidal. Examples fredricksburg and pickets charge. It would be unrealistic to have a frontal attack (which can be succesful in IG) work in Cival war time. :)

n0z3k1ll3r
24th May 2005, 09:44
Melee cavalry would be removed too, they're just useless against rifled muskets.

In short, you'd end up with Imperial Glory, but with only 2 sides and a lot fewer units. I don't really see much point in it. If you want a better time period, try the 7 Years War (it had a significant amount of fighting in North America as well as in Europe).

Sir Crow
24th May 2005, 14:22
IMO the Crimean war would be a far better choice, even the Zulu wars as this would require the minimum amount of change, perhaps these could be an add-on or even modded. I personally would not be interested in paying for or downloading an ACW theme cause I have no interest in it but I would the ECW but as has been said it would probably take too much effort. Anyhow I would rather them concentrate on the issues with the game now, which if they did would make IG near top of its class.