PDA

View Full Version : Would you like a Map Editor included with TR: Legend?

dhama
22nd May 2005, 09:59
Well it's important to me, the game is enjoyable....very enjoyable in fact, but having a map editor means I could enjoy it longer. Anyone else?

Having an editor has never stopped me buying other TR release's, I have them all...some I have more than once if the box is different. :D

Staticon
22nd May 2005, 10:06
A level editor would be excellent - it keeps the interest going during the long wait for the next official release. :)

A big fat 'yes please' from me. :D

CatSuit&Ponytail
22nd May 2005, 10:16
I'd love a map/level editor included with the game! :D Then I would be able to do ANYTHING!!! I'd be a GAME GOD! Oh, wait I already am! :D ;) :p

Hey Staticon, nice to see you finally here. ;)

GeckoKid
22nd May 2005, 11:49
a yes yes yes please from here :)

CatSuit&Ponytail
22nd May 2005, 11:53
a yes yes yes please from here :)
LOL, like I didn't see that coming. ;)

imported_Mark_
22nd May 2005, 12:04
Yes please!! :o

Driber
22nd May 2005, 14:03
funny to see all kinds of people from the LE forum here suddenly....

I say....hmm.....ah heck, lets go for YES!

now where can I leave my money.....

GeorgeMaciver
22nd May 2005, 15:32
No I wouldn't. I hope they make at least another TWO full adventures with this engine. THEN they can release the map editor.

dhama
22nd May 2005, 15:39
No I wouldn't. I hope they make at least another TWO full adventures with this engine. THEN they can release the map editor.

Don't understand? What difference would having a map editor make regarding any decision in making further adventures. It's the whole point, we use the editor in between other adventures and during. Still it's your choice I guess ;)

GeorgeMaciver
22nd May 2005, 16:04
Yes, it is.

EddyBones
22nd May 2005, 16:09
Of course I'd like one to come with Legend.

suske
22nd May 2005, 16:12
YES, I think map should be (beter electronic) , but also it couldn't be then Lara should use her wireless communication (that, in her ear)

Driber
22nd May 2005, 16:33
Still it's your choice I guess ;)

I call it blasphemy! :eek:

CatSuit&Ponytail
22nd May 2005, 16:37

I understand what you mean, but I hope they have worked on the engine since Defiance... :confused: I didn't like the way the environment in that game was so limited regarding interactivity. "Glass walls" were everywhere. It made me stop playing after a very short time.

At the ground level though, I am just hoping the put out a great TR game again. :o

dhama
22nd May 2005, 17:35
I understand what you mean, but I hope they have worked on the engine since Defiance... :confused: I didn't like the way the environment in that game was so limited regarding interactivity. "Glass walls" were everywhere. It made me stop playing after a very short time.

I'm sure it has, well it look that way in the released movies. I do want to get my hands on that map editor particularly though, above all other map editors. ;)

At the ground level though, I am just hoping the put out a great TR game again. :o

Amen to that ;)

Sophia Leigh
23rd May 2005, 01:36
I voted yes, but the actual game is more important to me.

cornchild
23rd May 2005, 03:32
I voted Yes.

I think it would be a great idea to include a map editor.

I would assume that a map editor for the new engine would be complex, but most modern 3d game map editors are.

This has not stopped the other companies from releasing their editors though.

So, I think it would be a great idea to release a map editor.

David 070
23rd May 2005, 07:14
of course i want a map editor in tr legend!!!

and if your reading this cd,id even pay twice as much as u charge normally if you included a map editor! think about that,id bet most fans would! making your own maps make it more exciting,i have alot of pc games that ive bought & most of them i bought because i can make my own levels etc, with them!

just a thought,but i would love to be able to make my own 3d game with lara & tomb raider & be able make every aspect of it like darkbasic or gamestudio!
thanks 4 reading ;) :eek:

GeorgeMaciver
23rd May 2005, 10:20
Releasing a map editor with Legend would completely ruin any further adventures on this engine. Do you want further professional adventures from the masters or dozens of amateurish ones to play? Think about it.

Driber
23rd May 2005, 12:24
Do you want further professional adventures from the masters or dozens of amateurish ones to play?

both :cool:

Solange
23rd May 2005, 13:24
Releasing a map editor with Legend would completely ruin any further adventures on this engine. Do you want further professional adventures from the masters or dozens of amateurish ones to play? Think about it.
Why does including the map editor mean they can't use it for a future game? Does the editor suddenly go rancid or something if it's been used by "non professionals"? :confused:

GeorgeMaciver
23rd May 2005, 13:57
I'm a level builder myself. I'm not against releasing a new level editor! I'd just rather enjoy a few professional games first before the new Lara starts doing ridiculous things in a million custom levels.

:p

Solange
23rd May 2005, 16:07
Yeah... I just don't see why they couldn't use the same editor for TR 8 and 9, even if they release it now. Does the one have to exclude the other?

GeorgeMaciver
23rd May 2005, 18:01
Hi Solange, not sure really, but once an editor is released, I would have thought that might affect the commercial value of the software.

:)

Solange
23rd May 2005, 18:36
Still it seems such a huge waste not to use it just for that reason! :D

I say, release the editor, and then they can draw wisdom from all the mistakes the builders make, before they release TR 8 on the same engine! ;)

dhama
23rd May 2005, 18:41
Hi Solange, not sure really, but once an editor is released, I would have thought that might affect the commercial value of the software.

Well George, Valve released Half Life 2 with a map editor, and that isn't going to cause a drop in commercial value to the followup which is due out at the end of this year.

Yes, there will be crap silly levels.... i've made a few myself, but there have also been excellent levels that have surpassed Core Design's. We are in an age where we can now play around and expolore games a lot more, and I don't think it hurts the games market whatsoever, in fact, I think it helps it immensly. ;)

zx beccy
24th May 2005, 11:35
:eek: hell yeah!

Or a level editor to AOD would be just a kewl :D

sunshinne83
31st May 2005, 15:19
I have an extremely stupid question...

What is a map/level editor?

CatSuit&Ponytail
31st May 2005, 15:38
I have an extremely stupid question...

What is a map/level editor?

Don't worry, I don't think that's a stupid question, especially if one only plays games on consoles like PS/2, GameCube or XBox.

A map/level editor is a program you can install on your PC that is a construction set that allows one to create their own game content. It is basically the major tools the developers use to make the games we love to play all packaged up in an easy (yeah, right!) little program. There was one released with the PC version of Tomb Raider Chronicles, and nothing has been right, I mean the same, since. ;)

sunshinne83
31st May 2005, 15:50
Thanks! :D

GeorgeMaciver
31st May 2005, 15:58
. . . and nothing has been right, I mean the same, since. ;)

http://70.84.190.115/3106/35/emo/b%28l%29e%28h%29.gif Don't listen to her sunshinne, some of the custom levels are well worth downloading and playing. Be sure and check out my Return to the Imprisoned Spirits which is being released in less than a fortnight http://70.84.190.115/3106/35/emo/z%28h%29%28i%29.gif

sunshinne83
31st May 2005, 18:12
To be honest, I am not sure how much I like the idea.

To me it would seem to take away from the original game and repeat game play would not be as interesting... At the same time, I have never used a map/level editor.

Solange
31st May 2005, 18:42
Mostly it isn't like that. Many of the levels out there are so creative and original, they are nothing like the original games, so playing them is not like repeating a game at all! In fact, many of the "home made" levels are as good, or even better than some of the original games, and it is a great way to spend your time while waiting for the next release of a game, if you enjoy TR and Lara! There are thousands of levels out there, so many to choose from, and many are of excellent quality! :)

sunshinne83
31st May 2005, 18:45
How do you find these other levels that are "out there"?

Solange
31st May 2005, 18:53
At TRLE (http://www.trle.net/) you will find most levels released for a free download. They are constantly being reviewed and you can read what others thought about the levels. A good way to start is to look at the Top 50, to see what you would like there, those levels are always going to be excellent.

You need the Level Editor to play the levels. It comes with TR Cronicles for PC, but if you don't have it, it is also available for download from the internet. Most levels come with a readme file on how to install the levels, but if you run in to problems, there are many here who can help! :)

Driber
1st Jun 2005, 08:29
Don't listen to her sunshinne, some of the custom levels are well worth downloading and playing

talk about your 180 :p

GeorgeMaciver
1st Jun 2005, 08:52
Hi Driber, not really mate :p I would like a level editor, just not before we've had a few good games released with the new Lara. What fun would TR2 have been if a level editor had been released with TR1? Would it have been the same? I'm just a dreamer.

Driber
2nd Jun 2005, 13:09
when exactly do you want a new LE to be released?

btw, what do you think about the new xbox 360 ?

GeorgeMaciver
2nd Jun 2005, 14:02
Hi Driber, I think there should have been another full Tomb Raider released after TR1 using the TR1 engine. Same with TR2, TR3 and TR4. So I hope the team make at least one more game using the same engine, but would hope for another 2.

But I have another worry. I firmly believe Tomb Raider fell apart because the Dev team fell apart. In the original Tomb Raiders the Devs put their entire hearts into their work. In AOD there was no heart. They were only out to make a buck. It was just a job.

More than anything I hope this original CD Devs team stays together, works together and makes Tomb Raider their own and keep developing it so Tomb Raider can be special again.

But to answer your question, I'd like to see an editor, but not until after at least one more full size game is released.

XBox? No idea. I bought a PlayStation just to play the original Tomb Raiders. But I was so pissed off that the Gold levels were never made available for PlayStation that I've avoided boxes like the plague ever since and stuck with PC.

sunshinne83
2nd Jun 2005, 14:14
I downloaded some of the game levels on the TRL site and have not been able to play them.

Is there a trick to making them work I don't know about?

Driber
2nd Jun 2005, 14:58
hi, sunshinne83. I moved your question to the Custom Level forum. click here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=51282)

Mangar The Dark
2nd Jun 2005, 19:39
I would love a map-editor. One problem though-- odds are, it would only be with the PC version, and since my PC is now really outdated, I wouldn't be able to use it. I sincerely doubt we'd see a map-editor on the Xbox release, and that's the version I'll most likely get.

Still, eventually I'll update my PC, and even if I already bought Legend for the Xbox, there's a good chance I'd buy it again for the PC if it came with a map editor (but without a map editor, there's no way I'd buy it twice... take note, Eidos! That's ONE ENTIRE SALE you'd be throwing away!! ;) )

Tipsko
2nd Jun 2005, 19:49
Of course!

the TRLE we have now is one of the main reasons people are still interrested in Tomb Raider. So yeah, release one! :)

Sophia Leigh
3rd Jun 2005, 11:10
XBox? I was so pissed off that the Gold levels were never made available for PlayStation

Me too! So much so that I finally bought the PC versions this week and I am going to download the gold levels for TR 1 & 2 from Stella's site once I've installed them :) . Apparently you can't download the one for TR3 :( .

GeorgeMaciver
3rd Jun 2005, 11:22
Wow, enjoy them Mum! If you find all the secrets in TR2 Gold, you'll get to one of my favourite TR levels - Nightmare in Vegas I think it's called. The Lost Artefact can be picked up quite cheaply at eBay if you keep an eye out for it.

Piega
18th Jun 2005, 08:48
Level editor will not come. I hope it does not come cause my game is not finished :o

Anyway the old editor is rather simple and almost anyone can create some walls and convert a tom file now. I believe the new editor is not that simple and a lot of builders that use the TRLE will drop out. Also time is a big issue. You are not going to build a room in a half an hour anymore. I guess other kind of builders will enter this area with this new editor.

I dont know if I will like a new editor this complicated :confused:

Anyway when I saw the TRLE it took away the mystery on how things are made and you are really looking in the kitchen instead of the restaurant. You never eat the same again (if the cook cooks crappy :D). So I voted not sure but I know I'm in the right forum :)

CatSuit&Ponytail
18th Jun 2005, 09:35
Anyway when I saw the TRLE it took away the mystery on how things are made and you are really looking in the kitchen instead of the restaurant. You never eat the same again (if the cook cooks crappy :D). So I voted not sure but I know I'm in the right forum :)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon4.gif That's a very very good point, Piega. I know from using the Morrowind level editor that the actual gameplay has changed for me. I think when Oblivion comes out I will play all the way through first, and then start fiddling....and that's saying something because Morrowind and Oblivion and Daggerfall etc are all massive with tonnes of side quests...

§m¤k€¥
20th Jun 2005, 11:58
I think it's a good idea that they release it.

As for the graphic engine being used again, I highly doubt it since the tomb raider game after legends will most likely use a different graphic engine, since it will be released on the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Hanly
1st Jul 2005, 13:07
I hae played both the Tony Hawk Games and the Timesplitters games, both alloow you to construct new levels. This i think adds a whoile new element to the game. To play the story and win gives a huge amount of enjoyment but adding a whole new level to the game in the form of the editor will bring a whole other plane of enjoyment

2awesome4apossum
1st Jul 2005, 16:57
Ok, the only reason that I joined this forum is so that I could vote "yes". The other Tomb Raider Level Editor is (as someone has already said) a major reason that the Tomb Raider series is still alive. I would absolutely LOVE a level editor and would buy the game soley for that if I had to.

I don't like the arguement about hurting the price value of future games, because one of CORE's biggest problems was the repetative nature of the original line of games. Unless Crystal Dynamics and Eidos haven't learned anything from the past, then the engine WILL be different for future games.

I want this level editor badly!

whitemetal
12th Jul 2005, 09:52
Would i like a Map Editor included with TR Legend!

Oh! no thanks, i'd rather a poke in the eye with a sharp stick :eek:.......Come on, who wouldn't want a Map/Level editor with Legend! i love the Chronicles editor and can't foresee any negatives in a Level Editor for Legend.

SpitFire3
19th Aug 2005, 01:55
The game is looking great and to create out own eviroments even looking just half as good has to be in the game, tho realistically i don't see it happening...

(hopefully i jinx it to happen!)

dhama
26th Aug 2005, 19:32

Well as you know my friend, there are players and there are creators. I prefer to create than to play so it's no problem for me ;)

Lara Croft Winner
2nd Sep 2005, 16:41
if we had a map edior we will be able to past those three hard levels in an hour each probbley any way

Deekman
9th Sep 2005, 18:27
You betcha!

Kwazak
25th Sep 2005, 21:32
just signed up to say you HAVE to have some sort of editor, it would be amazing.

Shehi
6th Oct 2005, 09:24
For me Map editor is a MUST, especially in this age of gaming. Almost all decent games have their own map editors... Of course this can result in game's release date to be a much later date, but overall, its worth to wait.

imported_Lara_C
6th Oct 2005, 12:35
I'd love to have a map!! It will save my nerves!!:)

matt2324
10th Oct 2005, 02:49
i would love to have a map editor for tomb raider legend it would really work if there was a mulitplayer were you create you oun tomb,city,island etc like in far cry.

Dragu Slave
17th Oct 2005, 12:58
A lv editor woul be gr8. I would probably spend more time editing my own levels other than playing the levels of the main game.

TombRaider252
26th Oct 2005, 20:51
I would love a map editor... but as said before.. the game is more important to me =)

brat352
4th Nov 2005, 16:14
Though I never used the Editor, I loved playing user created levels. So much more creative than what was put out by Eidos! :thumbsup:

rotcehb
18th Nov 2005, 14:12
si yes yes!!!!!

using the map editor TRL va a ser more funny!!!!!!
i loved the map editor!
that's grates!
well sorry for the errors im venezuelan :D

gingerspice+tombobsessed
6th Dec 2005, 14:51
What's a map editor?

Cleber
6th Dec 2005, 17:02
If they are giving a map editor along with the game or not... I don't care... lol... The heck with that I'll build my own... :D

StarChampagne
6th Dec 2005, 18:06
What's a map editor?

It's a tool for building your own levels of a game, or editing existing ones. There was a level editor that came with Chronicles. And this is probably a bad definition, but I am a player rather than a creator i guess ;)

KasiaTrent
18th Dec 2005, 09:49
I don't wanna Map Editor in TR Legend. I don't think it's a good idea, because people will be rather playing in it, than waiting for another TR games. I'm sure that Tomb Raider Legend will be a great game with magical world. But if we will creating our own levels in Editor, then a game won't be something magical anymore. I mean... you will know every texture which is in the game, every single thing! And then, when you will play TR Legend, anything will suprise you! It is NOT a goog idea... in my opinion. Anyway... I think that will be good if Level Editor will be included in LAST TR game. But not now... not in TR Legend. I've read article about Level Editor included in TR Chronicles, but it's in polish, so I can't post it here for you, folks. But everything what I've just said is in it.

dhama
18th Dec 2005, 10:06
I don't wanna Map Editor in TR Legend. I don't think it's a good idea, because people will be rather playing in it, than waiting for another TR games. I'm sure that Tomb Raider Legend will be a great game with magical world. But if we will creating our own levels in Editor, then a game won't be something magical anymore. I mean... you will know every texture which is in the game, every single thing! And then, when you will play TR Legend, anything will suprise you! It is NOT a goog idea... in my opinion. Anyway... I think that will be good if Level Editor will be included in LAST TR game. But not now... not in TR Legend. I've read article about Level Editor included in TR Chronicles, but it's in polish, so I can't post it here for you, folks. But everything what I've just said is in it.

A level editor was released with TR Chronicles as you said, and i've uilt many levels, but I don't get fed up with the textures as I can use my own. Same with the characters, I can change them as well.
A level editor isn't a bad thing because it keep the interest up between TR releases. Other games that have had level editors included have been very successful. ;)

KasiaTrent
18th Dec 2005, 10:44
I've done only one (poor :D ) level in RE, but I have played in somebody's levels and I liked it ;) But I'm really not sure about LE idea in TR Legend.

StarChampagne
18th Dec 2005, 13:33
I think that CD will release a few TR games on the new engine without releasing the map editor, because maybe it does detract from the magic; you can see how it's done etc. If a map editor WAS released with Legend, would you play the game straight away or make a level? But I voted for it anyway. I love map editors, even if I have no idea where to begin ;)

Jorge22
22nd Dec 2005, 02:10
I agree with George's words here. Just imagine they'd released an editor with AoD... Right now, TR's editor has somehow become a form of art in ways and for some. I suppose the new editor would get us back to ground zero and I'm not sure that's a good thing either. I say, let's wait...

GeorgeMaciver
22nd Dec 2005, 02:44
Funny that Jorge, but I just changed my mind this morning. To heck with it, I want an Editor! I've got too many ideas for levels! I like the fresh wind that's blowing through the custom level world.

:D

Me want an editor! :thumbsup:

Chris Daly
22nd Dec 2005, 04:09
Yes a Level Editor is a great idea, making it available on which ever
format gives enjoyment in a creative sense. Its intriguing and rewarding
to see imagination at work. :)

Jorge22
22nd Dec 2005, 04:42
Well, the sure fact (I think) is there will be no editor cause it doesn't make that much sense, so I believe if they release an editor it will only be after one or two more games. But I could be wrong...

dhama
22nd Dec 2005, 08:42
there will be no editor cause it doesn't make that much sense, ...

In what way? and what do you mean by ground zero?

Like i've said before, map/level editors have always been a positive thing for games releases, so what should be different this time.

@ George, glad your back on the wagon with us mate, like you, I have many ideas only limited by the the old level editor. :thumbsup:

Jorge22
22nd Dec 2005, 13:02
Well, you see, they've only released the first editor with the fifth game, not counting the gold games. If they'd released an editor with TR1 and probably not yet another afterwards, we'd be dealing with a very primitive editor or none at all.
Ground zero as in look at what the first customs were like. See what they're like now, well, several at least. Tools have been created to enhance the weak possibilities. People have learned to deal with it. A new editor means pre-history again, albeit technologically more advanced.
But hey, listen, this is only my opinion and I'm not even a builder. :)

dhama
22nd Dec 2005, 14:05
Well, you see, they've only released the first editor with the fifth game, not counting the gold games. If they'd released an editor with TR1 and probably not yet another afterwards, we'd be dealing with a very primitive editor or none at all.
Ground zero as in look at what the first customs were like. See what they're like now, well, several at least. Tools have been created to enhance the weak possibilities. People have learned to deal with it. A new editor means pre-history again, albeit technologically more advanced.
But hey, listen, this is only my opinion and I'm not even a builder. :)

Listen my friend, it's about time you dirty your hands with the original prehistoric level editor. It's a whole new experience from playing TR. ;)

Got to say, even if the original editor was released with TR1, it wouldn't have been much different from the one released with Chronicles apart from a few minor details like no triangular floors/ceilings.

Remember, 'A level made per day, keeps the gameplayers away. :D

Jorge22
22nd Dec 2005, 15:36
:D = lol (I was going to post the smiley but it seems these people at Eidos are really demanding and we must post messages with at least 10 characters - lol!)

snodawg
2nd Jan 2006, 19:49
I doubt it would happen, but it would certainly make for some good mods! However, I don't think they'd release it just yet as I don't think they want anyone to touch their baby!

It would make commerical sense though, if they were to sell it separately, possibly with a tutorial book. Release it between games and you have yourself something to keep the 'Raider fans happy and bridges the installments!

Wisby
5th Jan 2006, 17:47
Well,of course it is so great if there is a map editor
Waiting...

dhama
7th Jan 2006, 17:42
Well over 86% of us want one..... :)

Eidos?

SasaPisa
13th Jan 2006, 20:59
I don't really understand any opposition to a level editor. As has probably already been mentioned many times a level editor extends the longevity of a game greatly. Enough praise can't be heaped on mod development and individuals for adding content and improvements over the original title.

What has to be taken into consideration (i'm sure i'm just retreaading ground here) is that developers have a limited production cycle and almost never include all aspects of the game as originally envisioned. Packaging a level editor allows for improvements and content that the developers themselves may have liked to include had they the time.

Bethesda's Morrowind, as a perfect example, took what four years to develop? even so, not everything made it in the gold edition. Now compare the gold version with a version running better bodies, Rhedd's heads, a quality texture replacement, and any one of the other hundreds of modifications available from the fan community...it's just incomparable.

CD would be doing themselves, the franchise, and the fans a HUGE disservice by not providing a level editor. Hell, isn't this a standard by now for pc games? :p

DGaiden
14th Jan 2006, 13:52
It would be really cool if they did, they could make contest of it and for the guys who wanted to work in the gaming industy, it would be awesome to have a little taste to find out this is for you as a level maker.
Also sharing here the ideas for a cool looking map, rating other maps etc. :)

mistercroft
20th Jan 2006, 23:30
yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David 070
2nd Feb 2006, 01:44
i would give cd & eidos the biggest thanks i could come up with if they did include a level editor!

1024x768 jpg thanks picture. lol

:D

Dragu Slave
2nd Feb 2006, 15:18
A LE sounds nice.

I just hope that it will be on all the formats of TRL. :D

dhama
3rd Feb 2006, 09:49
I would like to thank Eidos for looking at our requests, and for giving us what we want. :thumbsup:

You are giving us what we want; aren't you?

David 070
3rd Feb 2006, 15:56
even if they dont include a le,legends going to be awesome!!! :D

im thinking they might give us one in a couple years.

Leeloo Multipass
4th Feb 2006, 15:41
Definately YES of course !!!

Even if it was just the TR5 editor ^_^

David 070
8th Feb 2006, 00:51
hey,can i vote yes again??? lol

:D :D :D

StarChampagne
8th Feb 2006, 17:19
On balance I think the level editor would be a bad idea...

I would load up the game, play it for 10 mins, then load up the level editor, then want to go back to the game. In this way I would accomplish nothing and waste a lot of time and get consumed by frustration etc.

Of course I want the editor :)

Small_scorpion
12th Feb 2006, 11:49
:thumbsup: Ofc YES!! :D

xac
16th Feb 2006, 01:53
I don't really understand any opposition to a level editor. As has probably already been mentioned many times a level editor extends the longevity of a game greatly. Enough praise can't be heaped on mod development and individuals for adding content and improvements over the original title.

What has to be taken into consideration (i'm sure i'm just retreaading ground here) is that developers have a limited production cycle and almost never include all aspects of the game as originally envisioned. Packaging a level editor allows for improvements and content that the developers themselves may have liked to include had they the time.

Bethesda's Morrowind, as a perfect example, took what four years to develop? even so, not everything made it in the gold edition. Now compare the gold version with a version running better bodies, Rhedd's heads, a quality texture replacement, and any one of the other hundreds of modifications available from the fan community...it's just incomparable.

CD would be doing themselves, the franchise, and the fans a HUGE disservice by not providing a level editor. Hell, isn't this a standard by now for pc games? :p

Exactly. Look at Unreal Tournament 2004 and Half Life 2. These two incredibly popular games have been greatly enhanced by releases of additional levels both by the developers and the games' fans.

In other words, YES:D

WraithStar
16th Feb 2006, 16:47
I want a level editor, but I want a nice user-friendly one. If it's like the one that was released with TR5, I won't be able to use it because I found the TR5 level editor to be unnecessarily frustrating. I'm not actually expecting a level editor to come with Legend, though. I would expect that they want to get another game or two out of the engine before they let us loose with it:p

Rascalius
18th Feb 2006, 02:51
Not if it spins around all the time, like that last piece of junk they gave us.

StarChampagne
18th Feb 2006, 22:15

Hehe, it was a bit temperamental. The installation of lighting would crash my computer (but most things crashed that computer, so it's not fair to completely blame the Editor), and I found myself saving every five seconds. Oh and when I found out Chronicles, or custom levels, refused to even run I gave up the ghost completely. But I would love another shot!

dhama
18th Feb 2006, 23:10

I'm sorry you feel that way Rascalius, but I seem to remember you creating some fair animation in the past using it. The fast spinning rooms were not caused by the software so much, as the true cause being faster computers runing a piece of software that originally had to use all resourses of a processor.

There are many ways to slow down the spinning room problem, one is by using an app that steals away processor time. I used one called 'Turbo' which worked fine. Another was to use the editor on the second monitor in a dual head setup.

So you see there is no reason to badmouth the editor or the authors. If I had the time over agian I would still have taken advantage of it... even given all the frutrations that came with it.

midroth
18th Feb 2006, 23:30
dhama, what do I vote for? (PM)

Driber
19th Feb 2006, 00:14
you need someone else to tell you to vote for YES? :D

dhama
19th Feb 2006, 09:41
dhama, what do I vote for? (PM)

If you're not sure, then maybe you should vote: "Not sure: am I in the right forum?" :p

midroth
19th Feb 2006, 13:53
dhama, if this is your wish - I'll do...
_I have a playstation. Such an editor would make no sense for me. Use my vote or not_

kiss-bite
21st Feb 2006, 13:31
Yes, a level editor would definatley be great fun!! However, I sadly don't think it will happen just yet!;)

dieapy
22nd Feb 2006, 08:53
The fast spinning rooms were not caused by the software so much, as the true cause being faster computers runing a piece of software that originally had to use all resourses of a processor.

There are many ways to slow down the spinning room problem, one is by using an app that steals away processor time. I used one called 'Turbo' which worked fine. Another was to use the editor on the second monitor in a dual head setup.

Yes you are correct in saying it’s not the software that caused the spinning dhama. I’ve had to keep an old Pentium 2 up and running to use the editor… But I like the idea of a two-monitor approach… I hadn’t thought to use this with my P4 & XP good thinking… But should this fail where can I download this turbo app you talk of… it may just get me back to using the editor more… I hate having to turn on the old P2 crock… just to do some room editing… By the way take no notice of the one post-posting… I’ve been around a long time… My vote is yes lets have a mapper with TR Legend I enjoy building rooms… But first lets play the game
From Dieapy

czykieta
26th Feb 2006, 19:36
I loved the Original TR Editor & would relish the chance to play with one created for the new game.

dhama
16th Mar 2006, 11:15
where can I download this turbo app you talk of…

Turbo.exe (http://www.dhama.co.uk/Turbo.exe)

The server isn't reliable so keep trying, it's only a small file.

BTW, why was this removed from 'sticky', have we had an answer yet?

Scott =]!
16th Mar 2006, 16:52
i dont no what a level/map editor is (i assume it is sonething that lets you creat/edit TRL maps) but i voted yes because what is wrong with having some extra things on a game and if anyone does not like or want to play a level/map editor then they dont have to nothing/noone is saying "u dont like it then your not using it!"

WraithStar
16th Mar 2006, 17:02
i dont no what a level/map editor is (i assume it is sonething that lets you creat/edit TRL maps) but i voted yes because what is wrong with having some extra things on a game and if anyone does not like or want to play a level/map editor then they dont have to nothing/noone is saying "u dont like it then your not using it!"

The level editor does let users create TR levels. It was released with TR5, which I believe is the last TR game to use that engine (I think AOD had a different engine and Legend definitely has a different engine). Probably the company won't release the engine for public use until they are done with it and working on the next engine. I'm not sure exactly how much is released with a level editor, but if I worked hard designing a game engine, I wouldn't give it up until I had gotten everything out of it that I could and I was moving on (no sense giving the competition a leg up:p). Just to be clear, I do want a level editor but I don't think it'll happen so soon.

Driber
6th Nov 2006, 17:32
so...126 against 19. looks like a definite answer!

Sorin
6th Nov 2006, 20:50
The level editor does let users create TR levels. It was released with TR5, which I believe is the last TR game to use that engine (I think AOD had a different engine and Legend definitely has a different engine). Probably the company won't release the engine for public use until they are done with it and working on the next engine. I'm not sure exactly how much is released with a level editor, but if I worked hard designing a game engine, I wouldn't give it up until I had gotten everything out of it that I could and I was moving on (no sense giving the competition a leg up:p). Just to be clear, I do want a level editor but I don't think it'll happen so soon.

That's somewhat disappointing since a game such as Neverwinter Nights (and now Neverwinter Nights 2) came with an absolutely amazing creation tool. You are able to create everything - the environment, the NPCs, the monsters, the dialogue, custom items, etc. It's really detailed and is one of the biggest draws to the game. There's a really large community behind it and Bioware (or Atari, I forget who runs the day to day stuff) actively tweak it, patch it, etc.

So there's a game that comes with a level editor WITH the current game, WITH the current engine. It's going to be really sad if Crystal doesn't release an editor until they move on to a new engine, as seems to be implied here, because I get the feeling we'll be waiting quite a few years.

StarChampagne
7th Nov 2006, 20:15
Been a while since I last saw this thread :) I remember those days, when I jumped on newly released pictures, discussed all the things I wanted in the game and tried to resist the urge to watch ALL the trailers available. How long until it all starts again I wonder?

So... who wants a Map Editor with the next TR? :D

winston
9th Nov 2006, 18:14
Yes i think it would be a good idea- spells endless hours of Legend and shouting at Lara:D Sounds good to me!:D

Monobox
11th Nov 2006, 13:03
A map editor wud be great if it was easy enough to use.:rasp:

ditom
11th Nov 2006, 21:27
Yes, it should be very easy to use :D

Vampmaster
14th Nov 2006, 22:14
It should be compatible with Defiance too since that uses the same engine. However I imagine it being more like 3D Studio Max or Maya than the tiled/gridlike floors that would have been used in the older TR games. I made a viewer for the files in Soul Reaver (also an ancestor of the Legend engine) and the rooms in that are all stored as meshes with shapes in the room for event triggers and portals to trigger the data streaming. I reckon that'd make it pretty complicated to use.

paradj
16th Apr 2007, 22:42
Map Editor :scratch: ok.
Level and modeling with map editor KEWL:thumbsup:

let the player build their Lara and her adventures? YES! :thumbsup:

Freakin' Awesome idea!:nut:

i personally love playing and building this adventure!

just hate watchin the death scenes:eek: :( :(

Phlip
17th Apr 2007, 07:08
level editor
Oh level editor, I thought what the hell is a map editor? :confused:

I'm going to choose yes. Even tho I don't use them :o

Piega
11th Sep 2007, 14:33
What is the situation about this? Is there an answer? Probably there wont be one because of the expensive tools used to create those maps but is there a no or yes as a reply? I know I did not want one but there is nothing wrong to expand my horizon!

Danza
2nd Feb 2008, 02:16
wow I was thinking about this last night, was going to post a new thread to, luckily I noticed this here, I wonder how the interface will be...and I have the answer for if they will be making more on the same engine...

They use the engine for profitable use ie game creation until the limits and best the engine can provide are no longer in worthy competition with other games. So as a guess I would say about another 2 years :3

I remember when the first TRLE came out the dev team where first very apprehensive feeling that they have released their major secret almost as if they didn't want to. Completly understandable as it shows how the game was made, and who knows they may have been upstaged...I knew they where when it came to a few minor things *cough* rotating textures *cough* :P

~Raven23~
4th Feb 2008, 12:06
Not Sure :o :eek: