PDA

View Full Version : I aint convinced about this game yet because

sandbag69
21st May 2005, 23:00
1. No map editor.

2. Find manouvering the units and aligning them with enemy difficult.

3. No stand ground order

4. Would like larger unit sizes

4. no tactics with naval battles

I do love the graphics...some of the maps are stunning and the individual men are great to.

So I shall keep plugging away with it for now.....hope it was £27.99 worth spent.

Tanyrhiew
22nd May 2005, 00:01
The naval side of things starts off with the ships too close - no chance to manouver - I know Nelson aimed to bring on a "pell-mell battle" but they did try to manouver first! Different ranges for the naval ammo would be nice.

Land side is pretty silly as it stands - would be nice if units broke & ran. Morale is factored into the game - I've seen cavalry units break (red x icon over them). But this fighting to the last man is pretty stupid - what was the designer smoking? I'd like battles to last longer and require tactics!

Great presentation (sound & graphics get a big thumbs up here - certainly has that tabletop miniatures feel), implemntation of the core gameplay leaves a little to be desired.

Come on Pyro, your 99% there!

Silent_Scope
22nd May 2005, 10:28
can you make custom batttles where you choose the enemy units and how many players etc..

Tanyrhiew
22nd May 2005, 11:13
yup, (very bloody) quick battles - works similar to rtw - certain number of points, choose your army etc etc

Broadside
22nd May 2005, 12:04
1. No map editor.

3. No stand ground order

5. no tactics with naval battles

1. Would be nice, but not essential

2. Not having too many problems, but the shift/N/point with mouse option is clunky and uncomfortable to do on the keyboard when trying to make troops face a direction. They turn to face the enemy when ordered to advance or attack anyway though so not a big problem.

3. I find the HALT button has the same effect. They will stop and automatically hold their ground until they lose morale, receive another order or are destroyed.

4. Odd that most people are coming up with the "I want larger army sizes" request when they are clearly having trouble manoeuvering even the small army sizes we are already given. I am quite happy with sizes as they are or it will get much less manageable.

5. There are tactics like crossing the T, using wind in your favour, slowing ships down by taking out their sails, grape shot then boarding etc. The big problem is that the sea battles really are so fast and furious that there is little time for tactics. I also got annoyed how most battles, particularly the 1v1 2v2 battles degenerated into a circular chase. Also the losing if you slip off the edge of the world feature is a bit lame. There is no way you can keep your eye on the minimap to make sure you have not left the sea battle area and fight a battle at the same time.

Would have to agree with Tanyrhiew (are you from Wales ?) that the quick battles are big fun and very bloody. I tried the GB v France option on the GB castle map and the fireworks from the artillery were very impressive - gotta love Congreve rockets :D

Queeg
22nd May 2005, 17:32
I, too, wish land and sea battles were much slower. Hopefully in the patch.

elementgoo
22nd May 2005, 19:19
I like the speed of the land battles, maybe a little slower would not hurt. But i do think that the sea battles should be slowed down a fair amount.

sandbag69
22nd May 2005, 19:28
1. Would be nice, but not essential

I Think it is totally essential. Why should it be that we need to fight battles on the same maps. I must say the maps look great even better than RTW but RTW battles are almost always fought on different maps.

3. I find the HALT button has the same effect. They will stop and automatically hold their ground until they lose morale, receive another order or are destroyed.

I'll try it

4. Odd that most people are coming up with the "I want larger army sizes" request when they are clearly having trouble manoeuvering even the small army sizes we are already given. I am quite happy with sizes as they are or it will get much less manageable.

because I assumed I will get used to the clunkiness of manouvering units. I'd still like bigger unit sizes.

5. There are tactics like crossing the T, using wind in your favour, slowing ships down by taking out their sails, grape shot then boarding etc. The big problem is that the sea battles really are so fast and furious that there is little time for tactics. I also got annoyed how most battles, particularly the 1v1 2v2 battles degenerated into a circular chase. Also the losing if you slip off the edge of the world feature is a bit lame. There is no way you can keep your eye on the minimap to make sure you have not left the sea battle area and fight a battle at the same time.

Naval battles look graphically great but degenerate into a scrum in no time.

Would have to agree with Tanyrhiew (are you from Wales ?) that the quick battles are big fun and very bloody. I tried the GB v France option on the GB castle map and the fireworks from the artillery were very impressive - gotta love Congreve rockets :D

I have tried modding the historical Waterloo map and managed to increase both armies to around 1500men. It made the battle look more breathtaking. problem is that the new units dont appear on the battlefield where i would like them to be.

Broadside
22nd May 2005, 19:35
Now that sounds promising! Any chance of a copy of the saved file or an upload when you get the positioning right? Its a pity we don't get the option to position the armies on the battlefield before the start with quick battles. Mind you, on all of the quick battle and historical battle maps that I have tried the enemy starts off in a distant location anyway so there is plenty of time to re-position.

jam_man
23rd May 2005, 10:27
1. No map editor.

3. No stand ground order

4. no tactics with naval battles

I do love the graphics...some of the maps are stunning and the individual men are great to.

So I shall keep plugging away with it for now.....hope it was £27.99 worth spent.

It looks really good, but lacks substance for me.

£27.99.

Hmmn, dont feel I should tell you about play.com then. £17.99.

Its worth giving a go, but its not something Ill play for months and months like RTW.

CrossWire
23rd May 2005, 10:37
Yep, the losing your ship off the edge of the world feature is bad, a unnecessary and very silly idea, and needs dumping altogether, replaced with a "retire from battle flag/button".

jam_man
23rd May 2005, 10:52
If they got reid of the edge of map, and gave the option of your ships firing on whatever came into path they would be far more enjoyable.

Trying to fight using more than 2 ships just isnt fun when they sail around getting shot at.

CrossWire
23rd May 2005, 12:05
If they got reid of the edge of map, and gave the option of your ships firing on whatever came into path they would be far more enjoyable.

Trying to fight using more than 2 ships just isnt fun when they sail around getting shot at.

You have that option my dear comrade shift+L auto fire to starboard, shift+k auto fire to port.

jam_man
23rd May 2005, 15:24
You have that option my dear comrade shift+L auto fire to starboard, shift+k auto fire to port.

Yeah someone pointed that out in another thread.

That would have made it much easier for me, never been a good manual reader :)