PDA

View Full Version : Can't conquer France

tavius
21st May 2005, 06:10
Hi playing as Great Britain at the moment. Recently annexed Paris after 5 revolts or so, however the game doesn't allow France to be annexed by GB. Instead all the lands are subjugated and now an occupying army has to be present in Paris at all times. Just wondering...is this normal?

Toomin
21st May 2005, 06:21
I think it is the same for all Empires that you subjugate (conquer the capital). You can never annex their capital territory nor their other starting territories, and must leave an occupying force in their capital at all times to prevent revolts.

Queeg
21st May 2005, 06:29
This is from the pdf manual on the CD:

Empire Capital Territories: Although similar to that of Capital Territories, there are some notable differences. Firstly, annexation will take longer and require a large army to suppress resistance. Secondly, they cannot be fully annexed, only subjugated: an army must remain there at all times following annexation, or the Empire will re-emerge. Because of this, you will gain no material reward from these territories - the removal of the threat of attack by a powerful adversary is prize enough. Any Satellite Territories under an Empire’s rule when it is subjugated will also be unproductive; such territories must be annexed before the fall of the capital in order for them to become a full part of your Empire. Note that any neutral countries previously annexed by the Empire will be liberated and regain their independence upon its fall.

The pdf manual actually is quite good, by the way.

BlackCoat
21st May 2005, 11:18
While i dont (yet) have the game, i was wondering.
Certainly you can vassalise them then, or some other such procedure, otherwise waging war against the other empires is doomed to fail in the long run?

krazed
21st May 2005, 16:38
"such territories must be annexed before the fall of the capital in order for them to become a full part of your Empire."

what i get from that is, if i capture all the little territories before the capital, ill get them, i just tried it, captured all territories before i even looked at the capital, didnt work, its still useless>.<

Queeg
21st May 2005, 17:07
I like this rule. One of the problems with conquest games has always been the steamroller effect, where you reach a critical mass of conquests and it becomes just a matter of time before you win. With the IG system, conquered major powers add nothing to your treasury and actually slow you down a bit by requiring a permanent garrison. You get the advantage of having removed a competitor, but at some long-term cost. I like it.

BlackCoat
21st May 2005, 17:28
A question, if I may?

Cant you diploannex them?
I refer here to the system of aquiring 100% friendliness, which afaik allows a diplomatic annexation.

Queeg
21st May 2005, 17:42
A question, if I may?

Cant you diploannex them?
I refer here to the system of aquiring 100% friendliness, which afaik allows a diplomatic annexation.

Good question. My guess is not, at least for the other major powers.

BlackCoat
21st May 2005, 19:47
Good question. My guess is not, at least for the other major powers.

Thanks!

Now someone with the game should try it.. ;)

Queeg
21st May 2005, 20:20
Thanks!

Now someone with the game should try it.. ;)

I have the game. I just haven't tried that.

BlackCoat
22nd May 2005, 00:28
I have the game. I just haven't tried that.

Please do, and rapport :)

Broadside
22nd May 2005, 14:01
I am trying to do that right now as GB and it is very VERY costly. I can keep them sweet at around 60% sympathy with defensive alliances, but to increase that % all I can do is occasionally make a one-off gold payment to "Improve Relations" of £50,000 or more. I cannot place consulates or any other diploannex structures in their territory. If the gold payments don't work at 100% sympathy I am afraid they will all be massacred with no mercy to man or beast :p

Smirnov
22nd May 2005, 16:06
It's pretty stupid IMHO. I could see some kind of 50% production penalty along with a garrison requirements, but to be completely unproductive?? That's just stupid. It's challenge enough to siege the capital, it took 4 or 5 revolts when I was trying to take over Paris :(.

Sir Crow
22nd May 2005, 16:31
In my campaign I managed to diploannexe Portugal Hanover and nearly Denmark but I was trying to get Morrocco I was on something like 80% when I noticed it was on 100% for France, it was at this level for about 5 turns before France actually took control. Is the AI a bit dumb or Am I missing something?

Broadside
22nd May 2005, 19:28
I gave up trying to diploannex France in 1823. I had pumped hundreds of thousands in gold into that lousy country and the percentage never got above 65%. When you ask them for food or resources help they never give it no matter what ridiculous amount of gold is offered. They never offered any help under a defence alliance when I was attacked by a Russia/Prussia/Austria alliance. My patience with them ran out and their crummy militia were introduced to the nice chaps from the black watch along with the sharp pointy end of some curassiers. Pretty swift annexation in the end with the secret police upgrade (30% faster annexation) Good riddance to em :D

CrossWire
22nd May 2005, 20:02
Kill all the frogs and snails, starve the Frencies. :D

Cro_Knight
22nd May 2005, 23:37
i remeber the game knights of honor came out this year and was a rts in the middle age europe and whenever u conquered a province LOL knights of honor had way more provinces ... well whenever u conquered a province it became part of your empire thus giving it the colour of your country on the battle screen it was way easier does IG have this nad i wish they would mod and actual real time game with day and night and no turn-based play just building ques and you can move your armies as far as u want it would make more sense if u have or have played knights of honor u would kno

BlackCoat
23rd May 2005, 00:44
KoH is pretty fun ;)

Too bad I dont feel like playing it after taking every victory and figuring out how to get there easily enough.
Ah, the Teutonic Knights...!

Once you have tries those, theres no going back to inferior national troops.

--------

Ahem,

Would it be easier to bribe.. say Prussia?
Or are all the main empires "equally tough"?

Smirnov
28th May 2005, 22:49
I agree with one thing, if they made it more like Knights of Honor with realtime movement of units as well as being able to move units around in a province, and with Imperial Glory's battle mode the game would've been awesome. You could actually use Russia's scorched earth policy and fall back to Moscow instead of losing after your first few armies get wiped out.. :(

GenMoore
29th May 2005, 08:16
Well It is a differant era in history, so if you like tutonic knights, thats the game to stick to.

I like both, and the second world war, so I have the best of both worlds(or is that thrice). :D

beware_of_the_snowman
29th May 2005, 09:02
i think you have to have a consulate built in the capital to start the peaceful assimilation, so getting the sympathy up to 100 isnt all there is to it. ive never been able to build a consulate in any of the empire capitals so i take it this is impossible...

Broadside
29th May 2005, 10:07
Yeah, we now know (those of us that did not read the pdf manual thoroughly) that none of the five player nations can be annexed diplomatically, only the neutral nations.