PDA

View Full Version : Well?...

frog7
20th May 2005, 15:51
Well whats it like Guys...Good?...how many points out of 10 so far?..i know its a bit early yet but whats your First impressions is it as good as RTW or about the same.i know its a totaly diffrent game but you get the feel early if its going to be a good game :)

Dravin
20th May 2005, 16:22
Okay, I'm gonna go with what I feel could be better:

1. Slow the unit speeds down.
2. I would love a pause and command feature.
3. Larger unit sizes, I'd love at least 100 men to a unit (calvary of course being smaller) instead of the current 60.
4. I kinda miss the ability to have different difficulties for the RTS and TBS sides of the game.
5. Units running around a building when it looks like it should be possible for them to run through to redistribute for even covering of all faces.
6.On that note I wish we could weight one direction when garrisoning so you either have more men on that face (but not necessarily all) or that side will replace losses more promptly.
7.I don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to be able to force a refresh rate as my monitor is damaged and so certain refresh rates don't work, besides I'd love to play the game at 1600x1200 but the game uses 60hz which makes my eyes want to bleed.

Now before somebody starts shouting me down as miserable and questioning why I bought the game or even hang out at the forum I enjoy the game and the above are not critical “I can't play the game without wanting to vomit” issues but more along the lines of, “Oh, that's be cool if it was in the next patch or something.”

For the record it's definitely worth the money I payed for it.

CrossWire
20th May 2005, 16:26
So it's a total cream, brill, fab, stupendous, game and worth every penny?
That will do me. Roll on Saturday. :D

What's the manual like?

jaywalker2309
20th May 2005, 16:30

What's the manual like?

Theres 2 manuals, the printed one, and then the FULL pdf version which is copied onto machine during installation)

Oh and theres a wall chart

Kokopelli
20th May 2005, 16:39

What's the manual like?

I only played for an hour lastnight, but yeah, it's an awesome game.

Manual? We don't need no stinkin manual.. :D

Duke of Marlborough
20th May 2005, 16:41
I'm at a loss as to why the Dev. Team left out line of sight Camera views.

It is possible to see your enemies make a flanking move behind a hill, as the game allows you to see over the top.

This is a horrendous decision as it makes the game less tactical, makes setting up an ambush very hard indeed.

is there any chance that this will be added in a patch. ?????

Actual game play is ok and in online games there seems to be very little lag at all. as described before perhaps unit sizes ahve been made smaller to reduce lag.

I'll report back on other things related to MP when i've played a few more games on some other maps.

jaywalker2309
20th May 2005, 16:44

It is possible to see your enemies make a flanking move behind a hill, as the game allows you to see over the top.

This is a horrendous decision as it makes the game less tactical, makes setting up an ambush very hard indeed.

Actual game play is ok and in online games there seems to be very little lag at all. as described before perhaps unit sizes ahve been made smaller to reduce lag.

I'll report back on other things related to MP when i've played a few more games on some other maps.

See your point about the camera. Will pass on to dev

OGGleep
20th May 2005, 17:30
I haven't made it out of the first 30 turns of the campaign intact (I would guess its closer to under 20). The economy is such that its really hard to recover from one unit being lost.

I don't know if I like the system yet. Once you are out of cash, it takes 3 turns to get the basic unit out. To get a functioning unit out, that would take an additonal 3. So to get a 1 unit army from 0 cash, it takes 6 turns (If my math is right).

200 gc = 1 turn
Commander build time = 2 turns

540 gc = 2 turns
Militia Build time = 1 turn

Total 6 turns

Now research is going on during this time, during those 6 turns, you can get 1-3 techs researched with the new structures available. The last one I got cost 1750 gc (roughly 6 turns worth of early income) + 5 turns to build. Thats 11 turns for one building.

Now I just may have been getting into fights way too early. I had been playing as Russia on Hard. One mistake and it was game over. Since I need to be a Nancy boy anyway, I'm going to try and see what france is about, and take it slower.

Queeg
20th May 2005, 17:32

I strongly agree. While having a God-like view is fun at times, the whole point of 3D animations ought to be to put you down at the level of the battle.

Queeg
20th May 2005, 17:34
I haven't made it out of the first 30 turns of the campaign intact (I would guess its closer to under 20). The economy is such that its really hard to recover from one unit being lost.

I don't know if I like the system yet. Once you are out of cash, it takes 3 turns to get the basic unit out. To get a functioning unit out, that would take an additonal 3. So to get a 1 unit army from 0 cash, it takes 6 turns (If my math is right).

200 gc = 1 turn
Commander build time = 2 turns

540 gc = 2 turns
Militia Build time = 1 turn

Total 6 turns

Now research is going on during this time, during those 6 turns, you can get 1-3 techs researched with the new structures available. The last one I got cost 1750 gc (roughly 6 turns worth of early income) + 5 turns to build. Thats 11 turns for one building.

Now I just may have been getting into fights way too early. I had been playing as Russia on Hard. One mistake and it was game over. Since I need to be a Nancy boy anyway, I'm going to try and see what france is about, and take it slower.

That doesn't sound so bad to me. RTW lost most of it's appeal for me simply because it was too easy. Hard isn't necesarily bad if it encourages deeper thought and planning.