PDA

View Full Version : 10 - 12 hrs gameplay / comparison

Notts Raider
20th May 2005, 10:41
10 - 12 hrs gameplay will be when you know exactly what you are doing and steaming through. All the other TR games you can get through in under 20 hours, so what's your times on the previous incarnations.

This is basically to ease the worry of the other members that it wont be a short game

Now
TR1 = 15 hrs,
TR2 = 12 hrs,
TR3 = 20 hrs,
TR4 = 15 hrs,
TR5 = 3-4 hrs,
TR6 = 3-4 hrs

1st time
TR1 = 1 week
TR2 = 3 months
TR3 = year, I got bored and left it
TR4 = 2 months
TR5 = weekend
TR6 = 2days

so 10 -12 hours is quite big

Sophia Leigh
20th May 2005, 10:57
I never really paid attention to the length of time it actually took me to complete the games but TR2 was only a few weeks - that was the shortest for me and TR3 was a few years as I abandoned it a few times, I play my Tomb Raider games on playstation and in TR3 you have to wait until you come across a game save chrystal before you can save game and they are few and far between.

CatSuit&Ponytail
20th May 2005, 11:04
...and in TR3 you have to wait until you come across a game save chrystal before you can save game and they are few and far between. Yuck. I like to save when and where I darn well please.

I never actually timed myself either, but I do do a lot of exploring the first/second times through a game, so 12-15 hours is too short, and with my stellar memory, every time I play it's almost new again, hehehe. :p So I'm a dawdler. :p

Acceber
20th May 2005, 11:45
What's my time for TR? Ages, always ages. Seems like every single game since TR1 - 5 I have completed much, much, much quicker than any of the TRs. Although that's perhaps because I have learned the trick of Save Often. ;) I was surprised when AoD finished... normally the conclusion(s) of Tomb Raider(s) is/are many months in the making and there is a lot of sweat, pain, tears, joy and elation throughout the journey.

:)

midroth
20th May 2005, 12:02
With exploring...weeks/month. But not A*D. This just 5 days! Five!

CatSuit&Ponytail
20th May 2005, 12:24
What's my time for TR? Ages, always ages. Seems like every single game since TR1 - 5 I have completed much, much, much quicker than any of the TRs. Although that's perhaps because I have learned the trick of Save Often. ;) I was surprised when AoD finished... normally the conclusion(s) of Tomb Raider(s) is/are many months in the making and there is a lot of sweat, pain, tears, joy and elation throughout the journey.

Same here, or should I say, "I KNOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!" ;)

Except for open ended games like Gothic2 and Morrowind.....which take ages and ages. :D

Tipsko
20th May 2005, 19:49
I think about 20 hours first time each, except for chronicles and AOD. I think it's a little on the short way, 10-12 hours...

TheBoo
21st May 2005, 00:23
I don't remember how long it took, 'cause I always play more than once..........the first time just to make it through, and the second time to really explore everything, get all secrets and pickups, etc.

I do remember while I was playing, a lot of my daily chores were neglected. :p

It's the same way now with the custom levels. :D

Notts Raider
21st May 2005, 00:44
I don't remember how long it took, 'cause I always play more than once..........the first time just to make it through, and the second time to really explore everything, get all secrets and pickups, etc.

I do remember while I was playing, a lot of my daily chores were neglected. :p

It's the same way now with the custom levels. :D

Aahh, the custom levels, what a great way to pass the time until TRL

the_internet_king
21st May 2005, 18:43
Im still playing 3 lol

GeorgeMaciver
21st May 2005, 19:59
10-12 hours of gametime will mean much longer first time through. I can run through Jungle Ruins 2 in four hours, but I notice most people are taking between 10 and 20 hours. So you can at least treble the 10-12 hours to 30-36 first time through. If you play 3 hours a day, that's over 10 days to finish it. Besides, maybe the nice Devs at CD will make another full adventure or two before binning the engine so we won't have so long to wait before going Raiding again.

Sophia Leigh
22nd May 2005, 05:13
If you play 3 hours a day

:eek: I have too much to do :D :D :D , I would be extremely lucky if I sneaked in that much time in a week!

susan
23rd May 2005, 00:27
I played TR4 virtually non-stop for 4 days (ie, at least 50 solid hours playing it) and when I finished it the game clock said about 28 hours played. That how long a TR game should be imo, something you can become absorbed in, not 10 - 12 hours.

From the comments in the Riley Cooper interview - "We're looking at around 10-12 hours but we're looking for a lot of replay." - it sounds like they know it's a fair bit shorter than previous games and what people are used to...

Notts Raider
23rd May 2005, 10:29
I played TR4 virtually non-stop for 4 days and when I finished it the game clock said about 28 hours played. That how long a TR game should be imo, something you can become absorbed in, not 10 - 12 hours.

From the comments in the Riley Cooper interview - "We're looking at around 10-12 hours but we're looking for a lot of replay." - it sounds like they know it's a fair bit shorter than previous games and what people are used to...

It probably will be over 28 hrs when you first play it

susan
23rd May 2005, 19:08
It probably will be over 28 hrs when you first play itThat's not my impression of what they're saying.

And my experience is when a game is quoted as 10-12 hours gameplay it's a shortish game with 10-12 hours gameplay first time through.

Remember when AoD came out they estimated 20-25 hours of gameplay not the 5-7 hours it takes you once you've been through it a few times.

Mangar The Dark
30th May 2005, 15:00
(nevermind)

Klerik of Kaos
16th Jun 2005, 17:18

I agree. When I play the Tomb Raider games, I like to explore it. not just go "Ok, I gotta go here and here. and now I'm done!" But the first time through, I like to do what I gotta do to get the game done... But depending on the level. If the puzzle is really hard, I'll drop the game for about a week. But it desn't mean that I'm not thinking of solutions here and there on spare time... I try to think of the many solutions that there can be fore that puzzle...

Call me crazy but this is what I do. I close ym eyes and visualize the level. Then I put my hands the way that I would if I were holding a controller. Then I would act as though I am playing it in my mind and then I try to figure out the easiest solution to the puzzle I am stuck on... Then if it doesn't go right, I erase that from my mind and start over... Then when it begins to bother me, I just pick up the controller and try it in real life...

But puzzles such as the Louve in AoD, where you have to jump on the exhibits and such. It gets annoying starting over if even the slightest hair touches the lasers! But that's what I view games to be nowadays. Frustration. Like Stunman... A game made to frustrate you. Anyways, back on topic.

So it usually takes me a while to finish a game. If it's a game that I get hooked to, then I might finish it in a few days... But if it's a good game that I want to spend a while playing, then I'll spend a while.