PDA

View Full Version : Why so much animosity?

Thecrisis5
18th May 2005, 02:11
It seems like RTW fans hate imperial glory. Why? Is it because IG challeges TW's rein at the top of RTS? I really dont understand it. why cant oyu like both games. I went on the TW forums to tell them to try this game and they freaked out. :confused:

Webrider
18th May 2005, 02:36
I suspect its simply they like the era of swords...or it may be they feel I.G. rips off the TW series.... which rips off the board game Shogun by the publisher of the board game Axis and Allies, I want to say Milton Bradley .. could be wrong... personally I like any good game .. I hope this one turns out that way. This is one of my favorite eras in history. They could do the civil war next ;)

screamingpalm
18th May 2005, 02:37
It seems like RTW fans hate imperial glory. Why? Is it because IG challeges TW's rein at the top of RTS? I really dont understand it. why cant oyu like both games. I went on the TW forums to tell them to try this game and they freaked out. :confused:

I think animosity is a bit strong...disappointment would be more accurate I think. I can only speak for myself, but having RTW, which has a good morale/fatigue system, and has commanders on the battlefield with the ability to rally troops has spoiled me perhaps. I have a greater interest in the Napoleonic era than Roman times, but I like the tactical and multiplayer side of RTW (except the annoying connection issues) and was hoping these basic foundations of any wargame would be implemented into IG. I really do hope that IG does well, because that may show other developers (such as CA) that there is a market for this type of game.

Muad'Dib
18th May 2005, 02:47
Hey my first post on the IG forums I'm from the TW forums as Taraadur. I think I saw your post but there've been a lot of them over there. One reason I think some people get mad is because we get flooded by these Imperial Glory threads. They build up and up and frankly it annoys me too. But I do think that some people go too far with saying they hope IG is terrible and fails but whatever. In my mind they are similar games in different time periods. I would call IG a clone with an original twist; that is, a different time period with some other cool features thrown in such as garrisoning troops in houses on the battlefield.

You also must understand that most of us TW vets are fanatical about the game. We've been with it since Shogun and have seen everything the series has to offer. Then we see IG come along and we've never heard of the developer and never saw it in development. I think that's why most people won't give it a chance. I liked the demo, aside from a few obvious flaws, but what demo is the final game? I'm getting it.

Thecrisis5
18th May 2005, 02:56
Welcome to the forum Muad'Dib :)

Im a TW vet as well having all 3 of them, STW, MTW and last but certainly not least RTW. I just think that people of the www.totalwar.com forum over react about games that challege tw. I love RTW but i got boring after a while(once i had beaten every singel campaign), i hope IG has longer game play and more in depth stats :cool:

FEARLESS
18th May 2005, 08:35
The most irritating thing about RTW is..........................wait for it!!!................................................LAG! :mad: That is the main reason I've stopped playing it. Hopefully IG won't have that problem! :)

Bellum
18th May 2005, 08:52
I think CA was first with the combination of management/strategy and real time battles. But should that stop the evolution of this great combination. I say no! Credits to CA! Credits to Pyros! I myself enjoy the management/strategy part and the real time battles are the gold trimmings. I look forward to dig into IG. And yes, I have RTW too, but likes the Napoleonic time more.
:)

jaywalker2309
18th May 2005, 09:51
Total War is a masterpiece of a game. IG is a variation of a similar theme. We are not a clone.

There is more then enough room in the consumer market for both games to exist, and there is definitely more then enough forums/webspace for both sets of fans to exist without having flame wars etc against each other.

Anyone coming on here and just spamming the threads will be removed, very quickly (as long as i can work out how to do it) This is a peacefully friendly forum for discussing the game, the good points and the bad points (how else do we make the games better for you)

Enjoy

-Jason

the_duffin
18th May 2005, 11:19
I am a huge fan of RTW (i would say it is my fav game ever) However this does not stop me being over-excited about IG. RTW only covers ancient warfare, IG covers a competely different time and i have longed for a game that will do this, most likely in the coming years CA will also do a game on the Napolien era but for now this is the perfect game.
Also one the reasons i love this game that the TW series can not match is sea battles. I think they will be awesome and i think this is where the RTW suffered. It needed big sea battles to be decided by the player however they get a computer to choose.
I think IG should be congratulated for following RTW wars lead of huge 3d battles. Too many developers will not follow something as challenging to do as this. It is IG's own engine it looks really good.
I agree with people though that IG should not be rated based on how it compares with RTW. It is a different era and a mostly different style of fighting.

Captain Darling
18th May 2005, 12:43
Well I'm on the RTW forums as Dionysius the Mighty, and I must say I've got kind of hacked off with the IG bashing too. I only discovered this game a couple of days ago when I downloaded the demo, but I'm a strong supporter of CA's next Total War game being set in the 1600-1800 range. I seem to be being shouted down by fans of a MTWII though. Ah well. I'm hoping IG can fulfill my craving for gunpowder! :D

frog7
18th May 2005, 12:57
Well iv got RTW...and iv just orderd IG.....i luv my RTW but i like most of this typ of Games :)

jaywalker2309
18th May 2005, 13:05
Well I'm on the RTW forums as Dionysius the Mighty, and I must say I've got kind of hacked off with the IG bashing too. I only discovered this game a couple of days ago when I downloaded the demo, but I'm a strong supporter of CA's next Total War game being set in the 1600-1800 range. I seem to be being shouted down by fans of a MTWII though. Ah well. I'm hoping IG can fulfill my craving for gunpowder! :D

Hope so too :)

Lord Boris
18th May 2005, 21:33
I was Lord Boris on the Rome Total War forums as well. I havent posted there much lately as I havent been playing Rome Total War that much. Unfortunatly I became a bit addicted to World of Warcraft (and hadnt played much else since) so I'm trying to pull myself away from WoW and Imperial Glory might be the game to help me in my 'rehabilitation' :)

I noticed that IG would get a bit of stick on RTW forums but there where those (myself included) who'd stick up for it. RTW is probably still my favourite but Imperial Glory is very good as well. I love the ancient world and its my favourite historical period but Napoleonic era is also a great period and i'm glad a similar game has come out to the Total War games that covers it.