PDA

View Full Version : do i have any hope

james2701
17th May 2005, 15:40
intel 82845g graphics controller 64mb.
intel celeron 2.2ghz.
512mb.
Could i get this Imperial Glory to work on mine.
i just brought cossacks 2 and the game wont start
because of the on board graphics card.

Sharpe
17th May 2005, 15:44
Processor and RAM are adequate, but i would suggest upgrading the gfx card.

james2701
17th May 2005, 15:49
i can't upgrade graphics card.i've been told.
it would mean a new pc.
do you think the game will not work then.
stronghold 2 worked ok,its just cossacks 2.

Mike_B
17th May 2005, 16:20
Give the demo a try and see how it runs.

BabyShambles
17th May 2005, 16:21
i can't upgrade graphics card.i've been told.
it would mean a new pc.
do you think the game will not work then.
stronghold 2 worked ok,its just cossacks 2.

What are you on about ? I have never in my life seen a pc that can't be upgraded . If you have a laptop then yes , but you can upgrade a pc's graphics card . Your graphics card is one that is soldered onto the motherboard , all you have to do is disable it in the BIOS when inserting a new graphics card .

Sharpe
17th May 2005, 16:30
It is possible - it happened to my last PC, the motherboard was crap and wouldn't support anything more than AGP2x so I had to buy a new PC. But as said above, try the demo and see if it runs.

james2701
17th May 2005, 16:32
i rang pc world.told them i've got a emachine 190.
they said there isn't any slots for a new card.
Plus if the demo works ok, does that mean the full version works.
never played pc demos before.

saddletank
17th May 2005, 17:33
i rang pc world.
they said there isn't any slots for a new card.

???

You don't need a slot for a new card, you pull out the existing one and drop the new card into the vacated slot. The only issue might be one of space inside the case, or airflow (too hot) if it's a tight fit, or if you don't have a separate power cable to run the onboard cooling fans of a modern card (although not all cards need a power connector). I wouldn't rely on the advice of the tech people at PC World, half of them seem to know less than the average gamer about what's inside a PC.

If you have a techie minded mate, invite him round to take a peek inside the case.

PC World will try and sell you a whole new computer, it's in their interest to do so :)

Mike_B
17th May 2005, 18:33
???

You don't need a slot for a new card, you pull out the existing one and drop the new card into the vacated slot.

Yeah well seeing as he has an onboard card that's not an option.

Sharpe
17th May 2005, 18:49
So the guy obviously has no AGP slots, but perhaps he has a PCI slot...in which case he could get one of the new PCI cards. But if the demo works fine on it, then I expect the full game would too - because the land maps in the demo are the furthest the system will be pushed.

james2701
18th May 2005, 10:30
i will try the demo then and if thats ok.
then i will get the game.
i guess thats what i should of done with cossacks 2.
in the future i will try the demos first.
Thanks.
someone else from pcworld said i could upgrade but it still wouldn't be a very good graphics card. Buy a new pc was the anwser.

jaywalker2309
18th May 2005, 10:49
Thanks.
someone else from pcworld said i could upgrade but it still wouldn't be a very good graphics card. Buy a new pc was the anwser.

Give the demo a go, however i have a feeling you wont get it to work unfortunately.

Oststar
18th May 2005, 23:20
If you can get even a dodgy upgrade then do it, i'd advise a whole new system though... even a decent Dell (2.8ghz, 512DDRAM, Burner, 15" LCD, Speakers, you'll only need a new card... you could pick up an Fx5700 for about $40 on Ebay) is less than $1000.

BabyShambles
19th May 2005, 01:05
Thanks.

Told you you could;)