PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Order FAQ most likely...

GenFerriman
17th May 2005, 15:28
Hello

I'm new to the whole pre-ordering.

I know i won't get the game till it's released but i have heard of people saying they have pre-ordered games in the past and have recieved it through the post either on the morning of release or a day before... how does this work. I've ordered 2 copies off Play.com when do you think i'll recieve the games?

Baring in mind that this Friday is the 20th May *release date*

Cheers,

Sharpe
17th May 2005, 15:43
When i pre-ordered San Andreas (yes ages ago) from www.gameplay.co.uk it arrived on the morning of the day before it was supposed to be released. Never pre-ordered from Play before, though i have pre-ordered IG from them this time, so I hope it'll arrive Thursday/Friday and not after the weekend.

GenFerriman
17th May 2005, 21:50
indeed, well i'll see you on the battlefield :p

Thecrisis5
17th May 2005, 21:54
Since you live in the UK you were probabaly shipped a copy from the us, because our realse date is usally sooner, i beilive,

Sharpe
18th May 2005, 14:57
i sent them an email asking when id receive it:

(Email from Play)

"Thank you for your email.

Whilst we do endeavour to dispatch pre-orders so that they are received on the date of release, unfortunately we cannot avoid occasional delays passed on from our suppliers.

However, it is also very possible that we will receive stock early, in which case orders may be received by you ahead of the scheduled date of release"

jaywalker2309
18th May 2005, 14:59
Since you live in the UK you were probabaly shipped a copy from the us, because our realse date is usally sooner, i beilive,

US and UK code is usually the same, and in GAME terms that is true, however the US release is 3 CD's whilst the UK version is on DVD.

sniggles
18th May 2005, 15:09
That,s good then - much prefer the DVD Rom version of a game.

Always feels a little un-proffesional and amature when you have to swap CD's back and forth during installation.

Also good to know that the game is quite large in respect of all it's data by being on 3 CD's.

It is a bit like waiting to watch a good movie - you always hope it will be a lot longer then the crappy 90 minutes standard tv movie length - Hooray for Lord of the Rings in that respect.

Captain Darling
18th May 2005, 15:53
It's on DVD?

*Sinking feeling*

My computer doesn't have a DVD drive...

sniggles
18th May 2005, 16:01
Looks that way - All the UK versions i have seen for sale are DVD ROM.

More and more games are heading towards DVD ROM only since it is easier for everyone and most people have DVD ROM drives now.

You can pick up a 'OEM' brand new one for between 10 to 15 pounds at somewhere like E Buyer (where i get most of my gear)

They really are simple to fit.

Captain Darling
18th May 2005, 16:05
*Bangs head on desk*

I knew I should have bought one while I was at home over Easter! I'm at uni in the back of beyond (otherwise known as Aberystwyth) and there's only one tiny computer shop there! Ah well. I'll go down and ask what they've got. At least there's a Computer Science student living opposite me! :D

GenFerriman
18th May 2005, 16:15
Just got an e-mail form Play.com this after noon and they have posted my games through now :D

Says 3-5 days most likely get here tomorrow, it's 1st Class and my post is good :D

Stereophobia
18th May 2005, 16:52
*Bangs head on desk*

I knew I should have bought one while I was at home over Easter! I'm at uni in the back of beyond (otherwise known as Aberystwyth) and there's only one tiny computer shop there! Ah well. I'll go down and ask what they've got. At least there's a Computer Science student living opposite me! :D
So long as you only want a basic drive, I would definately recomend eBay, that way you can pay by cheque/postal order if you need to. If youve got a debit/credit card though you could look on a site like ebuyer.
A run of the mill drive is only about £20 either way, and you can get them cheaper than that.

Muad'Dib
18th May 2005, 19:57
That,s good then - much prefer the DVD Rom version of a game.

Always feels a little un-proffesional and amature when you have to swap CD's back and forth during installation.

Also good to know that the game is quite large in respect of all it's data by being on 3 CD's.

It is a bit like waiting to watch a good movie - you always hope it will be a lot longer then the crappy 90 minutes standard tv movie length - Hooray for Lord of the Rings in that respect.

You think the LOTR movies were long? Try watching the Dune miniseries from Sci-Fi. 6 Hours! Then watch the sequel, another 6 hours! :eek:

Please forgive the n00bish question, but what is the difference between a DVD and CD in terms of a game like IG?

jeffdan9
18th May 2005, 20:02
A CD has 700MB & a DVD has 4.7 GB. Most computers have a CD drive, but not that many have a DVD drive. If it is DVD in your area, just get a $20 DVD drive off NewEgg (newegg.com) ! They have the best deals, just search & you could get one for $10 if you're lucky.

sniggles
18th May 2005, 20:40
Hi Muad'Dib,

Yep - you got me beat!

The longest i have managed to sit still was the complete first season of the 4400 (just over 4 hours) and Das Boot (almost 5 hours)

Das Boot was hard work but i had to endure it to get me in the mood for Silent Hunter 3.