PDA

View Full Version : Only one way to win the demo?

boojeboy
17th May 2005, 04:59
It seems the only way to win the second battle of the demo is to bunch all the cannons in the center as well as most of the units...
I haven't been able to win otherwise!

Cro_Knight
17th May 2005, 05:06
which means everyone will kill u at multiplayer

Razmul
17th May 2005, 06:03
lol, i'm afraid Knight is right (that rhymes)

Dravin
17th May 2005, 06:28
I don't suppose either of you esteemed gentlemen might consider offering advice on superior tactics as opposed to chuckling amongst yourselfs that he (and I as well for that matter) lacks your self proclaimed mastery of the game?

Oststar
17th May 2005, 07:57
In the centre you say? I have found the only way to win is arrange my Artillery on the high ground and group my infantry around it, last of all I place some cavalry in a place good for charging the enemy artilley and the rest to delay the enemy if they start to break through so that I can rearrange my men.

Several lessons to learn if you're used to regular RTS: tactics do matter, don't ever let your flanks and rear become exposed, don't attack cannon head on, square your infantry when charged, and most of all check your melee and range attack abilities: Put light inf on your flanks, Guards in the centre and regs in between. The reason for this is that Guards and Grenadiers can take a stronger beating than Regulars, and Light Infantry can take very little, but hits hard with their guns, same with Rifles: seperate them from your main body and sit them at a distance to get the enemy while they can't hit you. Once you figure out what does what well and when against who... you've got the basics. Use the terrain too, but those houses: they're a last resort.

Hope I helped mate?

Captain Darling
17th May 2005, 15:25
I won the first time I played Cyrencea, but only just! I think I had 8 men left, no cannons and no cavalry... I hadn't realised just how outnumbered I was going to be, so I sent both my units of light infantry into the houses at the beginning and formed up the rest of my forces with infantry in front of the artillery and cavalry on my right flank, the furthest from the houses. My riflemen I kept seperate in the group of tents near the houses.

Anyway, the enemy came up but stopped just out of range, formed up and attacked en masse! I've never seen RTW AI do this, so there was a mad panic when the bombardment started! I sent all my cavalry to interecpt a cavalry charge heading for my guns, which they blunted. But my infantry line was hugely outnumbered because of the missing light infantry units. I was losing men fast. My cavalry were chasing down the last of the Austrian horse, but they got too far behind enemy lines and were shot to pieces by their infantry. Luckily they had taken out all but one of the Austrian guns. By now the enemy infantry was attacking. My troops couldn't stop them breaking through and my last guns were silenced. Now it was down to my surviving infantry...

I formed up my unit of Black Watch and hit their largest surviving infantry force on its flank. At the same time my riflemen were attacking their guns, but taking heavy casualties from the cannonfire and a unit of Austrian infantry guarding them. In the end I pulled my two units of Light Infantry out of the houses and prepared for a last ditch effort. The two units swarmed towards the guns, coming under heavy bombardment as they charged them. Finally the Light Infantry were able to silence the Austrian cannon! By now the battlefield was covered with bodies, and isolated units were fighting to the last man all over the field. My surviving Light Infantry engaged the unit fighting my Black Watch and managed to destroy it. By now there were only a scattering of British troops left, but they were gathered together. Combined musketry brought down the last stragglers of the Austrian force.

What a demo!

Dravin
17th May 2005, 17:27
In the centre you say? I have found the only way to win is arrange my Artillery on the high ground and group my infantry around it, last of all I place some cavalry in a place good for charging the enemy artilley and the rest to delay the enemy if they start to break through so that I can rearrange my men.

Ah, see that's what I took as grouping the cannons in the center, I basically have those cannon on the top of the hill surrounded by lines of troops, calvary isn't that much of a problem because the cannons, troops in the buildings and those on the hill can usually dissipate a charge before it can reach the cannons.

After playing through a couple times last night that's pretty much how my battles went, I learned that a square of infantry hiding with your calvary in the tents tends to discourage them being mass attacked by the Austrian calvary. The AI also tends to scout with his Dragoons, which your Lancers can make quick work of if he pulls them to far away from his main line.

I won the first time I played Cyrencea, but only just! I think I had 8 men left, no cannons and no cavalry...

I played three times last night, I went from a victory by the skin of my teeth like you describe, to having half of my calvary and all but 2 units of infantry left (I wasn't paying as much attention as I should and the garrisons in the buildings got shelled to death before my calvary could remove the cannons from play, and there were some casulaties in the other troops but not a signficant amount), once the enemy has no calvary left, and no cannons left it's a breeze, you sit on the hill with your pretty ducks in a row and your cannons slaved together so you can concentrate their fire on the closest or better units approaching you, still having enough calvary left to occasionally send them into a square is handy as square + cannon = not good for troops in square.

At this point I think that the difference between my results and some of those amazing results some people post is better troop management and a bit of luck as opposed to gross changes in tactics.

I wonder if it's possible for you to give up the buildings and station your troops and cannon close enough and high enough on the hill that your cannon can be used to counter his before he can get them in firing range, it all depends on how large the high ground range bonus is, to prevent the enemy from garrisoning the buildings himself you could shell them to collapse before his infantry even reach that point.

Cro_Knight
18th May 2005, 00:58
im afraid i also hate ppl who dont search forums withour looking for a topic close to others i have already posted many strategies somewhere on these forums all u have to do is LOOK

Oststar
18th May 2005, 04:37
I h8 ppl hu cant tip in fll...

IRT Dravin... it's addictive isn't it, and the battles are intense enough to be worthy of a description to someone later, recalling the bloody or successful decisions you make.

boojeboy
18th May 2005, 05:36
Hey! Thanks to everyone that gave a positive response. Please don't be so mean. I'm only thirteen years old.

(Not really!)

Dravin
18th May 2005, 06:12
IRT Dravin... it's addictive isn't it, and the battles are intense enough to be worthy of a description to someone later, recalling the bloody or successful decisions you make.

Yep it is, sadly I've got to wait till payday to get the real deal. :(

Oststar
18th May 2005, 23:14
Yep it is, sadly I've got to wait till payday to get the real deal. :(

Stuff bloody payday... sell your shoes or something :)

Dravin
19th May 2005, 04:30
Stuff bloody payday... sell your shoes or something :)

If I happen to see it in a store or something before payday I'm sure I'll think of something, I mean I can probably dig up a ski mask and there are two 7-11s on main street... :)