PDA

View Full Version : IG E3 trailer

Mike_B
14th May 2005, 11:31
Eidos has released the Imperial Glory E3 trailer which can be downloaded HERE (http://www.gamershell.com/download_9139.shtml)

(type name here)
14th May 2005, 13:39
Whoa! :eek:

sqall
14th May 2005, 13:59
That was the best ive seen so far!

quantic
14th May 2005, 15:29
Most lush. Screw pc gamer. I've read their piece and it is the most constantly negative review I have ever read for what is clearly a fine game.

Bellum
14th May 2005, 17:37
Yiiiiha,

PC Games is clearly biased toward another type of games. Games I don't wanna play anyway.

Go Pyros, go Pyros!

:cool:

BANANAMAN
14th May 2005, 19:27
Imperial Glory is just AWESOME! :eek: WOW! :eek: GOT TO HAVE IT! :)

Khornish
14th May 2005, 19:58
You people live on a diet of cotton candy? Looks ethereal, tastes sweet, but not much there when it comes down to it.

It would be cool if those battle scenes showing a mass of troops wasn't also showing 90% or more of the army in the same shot.

It really does feel like a game where the strength of the AI is based on giving you enough units to fight with so that you'll feel an intensity that really isn't there. Without a pause+order ability you'll be moving around the screen giving orders fast and furious. Less than 10 minutes later, the battle is over.

I'm sure that appeals to a lower common denominator, but I'm not one to settle for being lumped in with the unwashed masses.

Unless the strategy portion of the game is just kick ass, then I'm going to save my money for something that requires a bit more thought in order to play.

Enjoy your 10 minute "battles"...

(type name here)
14th May 2005, 20:01
You people live on a diet of cotton candy? Looks ethereal, tastes sweet, but not much there when it comes down to it.

It would be cool if those battle scenes showing a mass of troops wasn't also showing 90% or more of the army in the same shot.

It really does feel like a game where the strength of the AI is based on giving you enough units to fight with so that you'll feel an intensity that really isn't there. Without a pause+order ability you'll be moving around the screen giving orders fast and furious. Less than 10 minutes later, the battle is over.

I'm sure that appeals to a lower common denominator, but I'm not one to settle for being lumped in with the unwashed masses.

Unless the strategy portion of the game is just kick ass, then I'm going to save my money for something that requires a bit more thought in order to play.

Enjoy your 10 minute "battles"...

What the hell are you talking about, it's just a trailer. Chill out dude.

sick
14th May 2005, 20:37
They did a good job on this one!!

sqall
14th May 2005, 20:43
Sick, I understand it was diffuicult to film IG. but could you ermm make another movie or 2, for the management and battle? I just dont know how else I can get through this week. :cool: :p

No probs if you cant though.

sick
14th May 2005, 20:53
This has been asked to me before sqall, and this was my answer:

No. I've had so many problems getting these ones ready that I don't feel much for making any more. Let's have a look at the mistakes list:

1.) Fraps didn't work (got it to work on another pc)
2.) Windows Movie Maker didn't work (got it to work on another pc)
3.) Made a mistake in credits screen of the land battle movie. Found this out after saving the file (took me another hour to save the file again.)
4.) PC freezed when only 5 minutes left of saving sea battle (took me another hour.)
5.) The compressing tool couldn't read files saved with Windows Movie Maker (had to save all the movies in another format: took me a couple of hours.)
6.) After I uploaded the .zip file I noticed I made a misspell in the readme file. So now uploading again.

I think you understand why I'm not making any more movies. :D

Understand? :D

Khornish
14th May 2005, 22:39
What the hell are you talking about, it's just a trailer. Chill out dude.

LOL.

Some people just don't get it.

The trailer caused a series of people to gush about this game. Fine, they can enjoy the cotten candy form of entertainment.

There _are_ issues with IG. These issues will need to be addressed in a patch of some sort, if they aren't in the final release of the game (which is doubtful).

Gushing about the game isn't going to make the game better. Valid, logical arguments dealing with the problem issues will encourage further discussion.

Like I said, enjoy your 10 minute "battles". I prefer to have more substance and I had hoped that IG would provide it.

I still have hopes for the strategic level play as I can quick resolve the battles (should that be supported in the release version).

sick
14th May 2005, 22:59
I still have hopes for the strategic level play as I can quick resolve the battles (should that be supported in the release version).

It is. :)

(type name here)
14th May 2005, 23:03
LOL.

Some people just don't get it.

The trailer caused a series of people to gush about this game. Fine, they can enjoy the cotten candy form of entertainment.

There _are_ issues with IG. These issues will need to be addressed in a patch of some sort, if they aren't in the final release of the game (which is doubtful).

True, there are issues about ig, now what do those issues have to do with the trailer, hence the title of the forum. If you have a problem you want to address about the actual game post a new forum topic so people will get a clearer message. If you don't have a problem with the trailer,

say nothing.

Khornish
15th May 2005, 00:12
True, there are issues about ig, now what do those issues have to do with the trailer, hence the title of the forum. If you have a problem you want to address about the actual game post a new forum topic so people will get a clearer message. If you don't have a problem with the trailer,

say nothing.

Did you bother to actually read my original post?

Can you correlate the fact that the trailer with my comment implying that it gives a viewer the wrong impression on how the game actually works.

Therefore I have a problem with the trailer giving a false impression leading to a false expectation. I have similar problem with hollywood movie trailers that show stuff cut out of the movie. The buyer isn't getting what he thinks he's getting if his impression about the game is solely based upon the trailer.

Due to bandwidth issues a lot of people will not see the trailer or download the demo, instead they'll read the forums. Maybe they'll get the demo from a magazine's CD.

However, if they don't they'll be left to viewing what's here on the forums. In response to people gushing about the trailer, I posted my comments.

If you don't like what I said, move on. If you feel my comments weren't on the topic, that being "the trailer" then get over it and move on.

If IG isn't good enough for me to buy, then I'll get over it and move on, saving my money for something of better value. I'd rather have an honest dialog than a forum where everyone is for the game or everyone is against it.

Just as saying "this game sucks" and leaving it at that is a non-argument and non-constructive so is saying "this game rocks!"

If you or someone else who views the trailer and is excited about it wants the post about it, why not post why the trailer excites you and causes you to want to buy the game?

Furthermore, you're not a forum moderator. Why not let them perform the functions of their office as they see fit instead of usurping their responsibilties for them?

I will continue to post my comments in any thread I see fit. If the moderators have an issue with me, my comments, or the topicality of them, then I expect they'll bring it up.

I've been quite fair with IG overall. I do want the game to do well and my critique of the game is based on the desire to see it become a better game. Until such time as there is an official response to any comment made by myself or someone else critical of certain aspects of the game, I'll not assume that the development team has read and understood them.

I'll thank you not to make that assumption for them as well.

screamingpalm
15th May 2005, 00:34
Just watched the trailer and um.... :confused: I fail to enjoy the same enthusiasm. I have come to the conclusion that this isnt my game, and am looking into cancelling my pre-order if not too late. Just now read in the FAQ that commanders will not be on the battlefield...the effect Napoleon had by being present on the battlefield was so tremendous (there was a quote, I believe by Wellington, something to the effect that Napoleon's presence on the battlefield was equal to some thousands of men- cant remember the exact line now). Anyway, type-your-name, I dont believe it is your place to tell people what they should think of something, and a forum should be a place where feedback should be encouraged and something to think about. I respect the fact that the forums are read, and I will say good work on the nice graphics, but aside from this, there are too many things missing for me and the TW engine has them. I thank the developers for not hiding anything and saying upfront that things cannot be implemented. Good luck with the game, and if I hear that changes are made, maybe Ill come back for another look.

Khornish
15th May 2005, 01:07
(there was a quote, I believe by Wellington, something to the effect that Napoleon's presence on the battlefield was equal to some thousands of men- cant remember the exact line now).

Chandler quotes Wellington as saying "40,000 men".

(type name here)
15th May 2005, 01:50
Did you bother to actually read my original post?

Can you correlate the fact that the trailer with my comment implying that it gives a viewer the wrong impression on how the game actually works.

Therefore I have a problem with the trailer giving a false impression leading to a false expectation. I have similar problem with hollywood movie trailers that show stuff cut out of the movie. The buyer isn't getting what he thinks he's getting if his impression about the game is solely based upon the trailer.

Due to bandwidth issues a lot of people will not see the trailer or download the demo, instead they'll read the forums. Maybe they'll get the demo from a magazine's CD.

However, if they don't they'll be left to viewing what's here on the forums. In response to people gushing about the trailer, I posted my comments.

If you don't like what I said, move on. If you feel my comments weren't on the topic, that being "the trailer" then get over it and move on.

If IG isn't good enough for me to buy, then I'll get over it and move on, saving my money for something of better value. I'd rather have an honest dialog than a forum where everyone is for the game or everyone is against it.

Just as saying "this game sucks" and leaving it at that is a non-argument and non-constructive so is saying "this game rocks!"

If you or someone else who views the trailer and is excited about it wants the post about it, why not post why the trailer excites you and causes you to want to buy the game?

Furthermore, you're not a forum moderator. Why not let them perform the functions of their office as they see fit instead of usurping their responsibilties for them?

I will continue to post my comments in any thread I see fit. If the moderators have an issue with me, my comments, or the topicality of them, then I expect they'll bring it up.

I've been quite fair with IG overall. I do want the game to do well and my critique of the game is based on the desire to see it become a better game. Until such time as there is an official response to any comment made by myself or someone else critical of certain aspects of the game, I'll not assume that the development team has read and understood them.

I'll thank you not to make that assumption for them as well.

First off, thesimonwells, Souto, Vic Flange our three moderators haven't step foot in this forum for more than a year, second your making something out of nothing going out of the context of the forum topic. This isn't a case of you liking the game or not, it's you going off topic. And, you know what, i'm not going to argue, I'll just hit the "report bad post button" from now on.

saddletank
15th May 2005, 02:08
Khornish isn't off topic, he's discussing the content of the trailer, which I too think is misleading by focussing on what seems to be a huge density of troops when we all know the game does not have such a density of troops.

It's this plus the 'historically accurate uniforms, weapons and tactics' plop that Eidos so gleefully mention that really bothers me. This is pure mis-selling of a product.

Feel free to hit the bad post button, as if I give a monkeys.

Khornish
15th May 2005, 02:40
It is. :)

Sick, I missed this one. Thanks for replying.

Also, I know it's a hassle. But, I personally would greatly appreciate a movie of the strategic game. 5-10 minute movie showing what can be done would be great.

I absolutely won't buy this game without the strategic level "doing it" for me. I'm not going to spend my money on something I very likely might regret purchasing as I can't return it for a refund.

On the other hand, once I can determine the strategic level of play is "all that and a bag of chips" then I'd happily part with my money as I want to reward effort I feel is deserving of it.