PDA

View Full Version : Designer Diary 2 is up at gamespot.

Irish2
5th May 2005, 18:21
www.gamespot.com

Don't know if its been posted or not. Its the battle of waterloo and the landscape looks fantastic. However, there is clearly not enough troops present in the battle.

Cossacks II has its flaws, but last night, I had a battle in the Moscow sector with 35 squads under my command. I wish we could see those types of numbers in IG.

Villaret-Joyeuse
5th May 2005, 19:35
Yes!!! "Fight the battle of Waterloo with less than 700 men!!!" Sounds exciting!!!! :(

BANANAMAN
5th May 2005, 19:48
Yes!!! "Fight the battle of Waterloo with less than 700 men!!!" Sounds exciting!!!! :(

It's a pc game not real life. :D

Picotrain
5th May 2005, 20:12
Why do people persist in hanging around a forum for a game they don't like? If the answer is just to make fun of the game, they must really find something more pleasant to do with their time.

screamingpalm
6th May 2005, 01:37
Dont worry, Picotrain. If this game is as bad as I fear, I know I for one will spare you with my criticisms of the game once it is released and I am bored with it after a week (and I have traded it in for a deeper game like Elmo's Great Adventure for my daughter lol/jk), and will move on to greener pastures. But, if the developers are listening and there is still a chance that this might be my game, I will stick it out until it is obviously a hopeless cause. Of course I could always be proven wrong and it end up being changed dramatically from the demo.

Until then...... :cool:

(type name here)
6th May 2005, 02:40
Personally, i think your critisism is just a little bit over exaggerated. Because as far as napoleonic era games go, this is the only pasture.

Khornish
6th May 2005, 06:10
Personally, i think your critisism is just a little bit over exaggerated. Because as far as napoleonic era games go, this is the only pasture.

Current events say otherwise. There are no less than 4 other Napoleonic computer games slated to come out within the next couple of months. 2 are in mid to late beta and a third is very close to going gold. The 4th is currently scheduled for release in the fall. Sure, any one or all can suffer delays, but IG is subject to further delays as well (unlikely, but possible).

So, there is plenty of room for comparisons.

However, if you wish to amend your statement to read "Because as far as napoleonic era RTS (with the resource allocation feature separate from the battle resolution feature) games go, this is the only pasture" then it would have a great deal more accuracy.

saddletank
6th May 2005, 09:38
It's a pc game not real life. :D

That argument has worn so thin we can see right through it now bananaman.

saddletank
6th May 2005, 09:40
Current events say otherwise. There are no less than 4 other Napoleonic computer games slated to come out within the next couple of months. 2 are in mid to late beta and a third is very close to going gold. The 4th is currently scheduled for release in the fall. Sure, any one or all can suffer delays, but IG is subject to further delays as well (unlikely, but possible).

So, there is plenty of room for comparisons.

However, if you wish to amend your statement to read "Because as far as napoleonic era RTS (with the resource allocation feature separate from the battle resolution feature) games go, this is the only pasture" then it would have a great deal more accuracy.

Would you list the 4 please Khornish. I'm aware of Les Grog and the Matrix game but do you count all 3 Matrix games as separate, hence your count of 4, or have I missed one or two...?

Villaret-Joyeuse
6th May 2005, 13:26
I do not love or hate the game, Bananaman. I shall wait to see the final release. However, I was commenting about the screenshots that are made available. When you read the diary that they posted on Gamespot, it is Eidros who talks about the aftermath of Ligny "After successfully confronting the Prussian army at Ligny, Napoleon made the mistake of dividing his forces, sending 30,000 men in pursuit......"

Then they make THEIR claim: "In Imperial Glory, if you take command of the French army you must annihilate the Anglo-Dutch army before your time is up (signifying the time when the Prussian army arrives). If you take the role of Wellington you must hold out until the end of the battle, and you will earn victory if your units survive the French offensive. The armies have been reproduced according to the units that took part in the battle on that day, and the map re-creates faithfully the scene of this vital chapter in history. Now you have the opportunity to rewrite this history."

How can they even attempt to make such a claim when their accompanying screenshot shows less then 700 men on a side. :eek:

You know what it is like - a computerized version of a reenactment of the Napeolonic Wars. :D "Come play where 500 men get together to stage something sort of like the battle of Waterloo!"

Picotrain, I am not hanging around "just" to make fun of the game. In fact, I hold Eidros' move to include naval warfare in high regard. (in definitely contrast to the Creative Assembly games). Like screamingpalm said, I still have hopes that the developers will listen.

Here is what could happen:

Release an average game - the few fanboys will buy at full price. Most will wait till the price quickly sinks like a rock to $9.99 with the developers praying to atleast recuperate their money.

or

Release a great game - many will buy at full price and build up a loyal fan base that will quickly go out and buy expansion packs. Then huge excitement builds with rumors of Imperial Glory 2.

You mistake my intentions. I want this to be a great game. I want people interested in the Napoleonic Wars. I want a lasting game series on the Napoleonic Wars. That is why I voice my criticism.

jaywalker2309
6th May 2005, 14:37
How can they even attempt to make such a claim when their accompanying screenshot shows less then 700 men on a side. :eek:

You played Battle for Middle earth? watched the Lord of the Ring movies? They say the game is true re-enactment of the movie, yet i remember battle for helms deep having a lot more then a couple of 100 orcs and co attacking the fortress in the movie..

:)

mob
6th May 2005, 15:22
Why do people persist in hanging around a forum for a game they don't like? If the answer is just to make fun of the game, they must really find something more pleasant to do with their time.

m8 if no one complained when there lives/anything wasnt as good as it could be there wouldnt have been a revolution ireland would be under control of scum america also

there would be a king of england who ruled the country

infact i doubt we would egsist

complaining is human nature
without it you are not human and i sugest you go with the flow of humanity or leave this forum

BFawlty
6th May 2005, 15:40
m8 if no one complained when there lives/anything wasnt as good as it could be there wouldnt have been a revolution ireland would be under control of scum america also

without it you are not human and i sugest you go with the flow of humanity or leave this forum

Ireland revolted against America? :confused:

BF

Irish2
6th May 2005, 15:50
Ireland revolted against America? :confused:

BF

You learn something new everyday. It must have been in the less talked about War of 1878......

(type name here)
6th May 2005, 19:44
There are four other napoleonic games?

Picotrain
8th May 2005, 13:31

OK, so you're comparing the importance of complaining about some fifty dollar computer game to the importance of the revolutionaries who actually lived, fought and died in the time of Napoleon to free themselves from unfair oppression and poverty? Do you see the flaw in this arguement?

The fact remains that you and several other people are complaining about a game of which you have played two minor skirmishes, saw a slideshow of the strategic map and a video of the naval battles. You act as if you know every detail of the game. You're whining and complaining about features and accuracy, when you have no idea about what is in the game yet. Wait until the game comes out, then when you know for certain you can complain.

I know, your next arguement will be "Why should I have to pay fifty dollars in order to get the right to complain?" Don't. Wait until the game has been out awhile, then go by what the reviewers.... people who have actually played the full game, have to say. It's their job to critique games, if there are flaws, they will surely notice them. If after the reviews you decide you want the game, then buy it. If not, don't. It's that simple.

Right now the only constant criticism that I feel comfortable supporting is that the companies who are making this game, Pyro and Eidos, are not keeping their fan base well enough informed about the changes to the game. It's not all that difficult to post on the progress of a game every four or five days. Not posting that the game has went gold on the site or forum was a huge error, one that not many companies make these days.

Mind you, this is all just my opinion, as someone who wants to see a quality game produced. Constructive critisism is helpful, mocking the game is not.

Cheers,
Picotrain

Khornish
8th May 2005, 13:36
Would you list the 4 please Khornish. I'm aware of Les Grog and the Matrix game but do you count all 3 Matrix games as separate, hence your count of 4, or have I missed one or two...?

Les Grognards
Empires in Arms
Crown of Glory (the 2nd offering from Matrix, but definately different enough to warrant being included on its own)

I've forgotten the name of the 4th, give me a day or two to remember it. It's later this year, thus I am not camping their forums yet.

cambronne
8th May 2005, 14:11
Les Grognards
Empires in Arms
Crown of Glory (the 2nd offering from Matrix, but definately different enough to warrant being included on its own)

I've forgotten the name of the 4th, give me a day or two to remember it. It's later this year, thus I am not camping their forums yet.

Matrix is putting out another game called "Battles of Napoleon". It is allegedly inspired by the old PC game by SSI with the same name, but is being produced by someone else.

There is also the modding of "Rome:Total War" into a Napoleonic game.

Khornish
8th May 2005, 15:38
Matrix is putting out another game called "Battles of Napoleon". It is allegedly inspired by the old PC game by SSI with the same name, but is being produced by someone else.

There is also the modding of "Rome:Total War" into a Napoleonic game.

I've completely missed the Battles of Napoleon then, so that makes a 5th that I'm now aware of.

BoN actually was a decent game for the time, if it's updated properly, then I might buy it as well. Played it on a friend's Apple IIe.

Sol Invictus
8th May 2005, 16:41
Also, the developers of BON will next make Campaigns of Napoleon. That will be awhile though.

Villaret-Joyeuse
9th May 2005, 00:29
Picotrain - As for features, I made my list of things missing (as per the demo) and left it at that. My BIG complaint that I continually bring up is the size of the units. I continue to complain because the screenshots put up by the devs continue to show small units of 60 guys with a grand total of 700 on a side, while THEY claim to recreate historic battles.......

Be careful with your pronouns. Please do not lump with me with everyone else who complains. :eek: If you read my posts, I have been fairly eloquent in my complaints compared to some people who write "It suxs" If you review MY posts, I do not think there could be defied as whining.

As for you comment, I partially agree. It is the reviewers job, however, my question, is the gamer who reviews the game going to have any knowledge of the period and how things SHOULD be? Probably not.

I do agree that the devs have been very silent. At least compared to the only other game forum that I visit regularly (Pirates of the Burning Seas) I think some people's complaints have started to sound like "whining" to others, because there is growing frustration over the silence from official sources.....

Picotrain
9th May 2005, 02:08
Picotrain - As for features, I made my list of things missing (as per the demo) and left it at that. My BIG complaint that I continually bring up is the size of the units. I continue to complain because the screenshots put up by the devs continue to show small units of 60 guys with a grand total of 700 on a side, while THEY claim to recreate historic battles.......

Be careful with your pronouns. Please do not lump with me with everyone else who complains. :eek: If you read my posts, I have been fairly eloquent in my complaints compared to some people who write "It suxs" If you review MY posts, I do not think there could be defied as whining.

As for you comment, I partially agree. It is the reviewers job, however, my question, is the gamer who reviews the game going to have any knowledge of the period and how things SHOULD be? Probably not.

I do agree that the devs have been very silent. At least compared to the only other game forum that I visit regularly (Pirates of the Burning Seas) I think some people's complaints have started to sound like "whining" to others, because there is growing frustration over the silence from official sources.....

I agree with every point you have just made 100%. It's just sad to discover a new game only to find its community is half-full of people whining about things in a game they haven't even played yet.

Villaret-Joyeuse
9th May 2005, 13:03
I think that Eidos is kind of at fault for that by shot themselves in the foot with a bad demo....

I think if you read the posts before hand, there was little "whining". Some people were complaining about the color of uniforms, but most (i dare say) were not upset with having to cut corners. It was only once the demo was released that people began to really complain. And I would say rightfully so.

I will not repeat the list here, but there was a SIGNIFICANT number of problems with the demo. Some were gameplay features, but the more significant ones were how un-Napoleonic the game was. People voiced their complaints and then like both of us agree, the devs has been silent, instead releasing "happy-go-lucky" diary posts which answer NONE of the burning questions. I believe that people's initial frustration with the demo has turned into anger due to the silence......

That is my 2 cents....

Mike_B
9th May 2005, 15:16
I assume the devs are busy working on the title and although it's far from being it's job, jaycw2309 does his best to inform us. Geesh all that whining.

jaywalker2309
9th May 2005, 15:46
I think that Eidos is kind of at fault for that by shot themselves in the foot with a bad demo....

I think if you read the posts before hand, there was little "whining". Some people were complaining about the color of uniforms, but most (i dare say) were not upset with having to cut corners. It was only once the demo was released that people began to really complain. And I would say rightfully so.

I will not repeat the list here, but there was a SIGNIFICANT number of problems with the demo. Some were gameplay features, but the more significant ones were how un-Napoleonic the game was. People voiced their complaints and then like both of us agree, the devs has been silent, instead releasing "happy-go-lucky" diary posts which answer NONE of the burning questions. I believe that people's initial frustration with the demo has turned into anger due to the silence......

That is my 2 cents....

I dont think i've been overly silent :)

Since the demo a lot of the feedback from the forums has been taken onboard. There are some things that wont change as were fundamentally against `Pyro's` design/vision of the game, however wherever they were able to make changes they have.

Villaret-Joyeuse
9th May 2005, 17:07
Any clue as to which have been?

Picotrain
9th May 2005, 17:08
I assume the devs are busy working on the title and although it's far from being it's job, jaycw2309 does his best to inform us. Geesh all that whining.

At this point, with the game having already gone gold, it is highly unlikely the devs are still working on the title, as any changes they make will not make it into the retail version.

Sol Invictus
9th May 2005, 18:05
I imagine that they are already working on a patch to make some of the chages that have been suggested on these forums. If Eidos supports the game and with a bit of modding, this game just might be excellent.

saddletank
10th May 2005, 08:29
however wherever they were able to make changes they have.

Such as? Please? :)

[J.E.v.O]
11th May 2005, 14:59
yes tell us some??? :p