PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the best third-person videogames ...

Godfather
5th May 2005, 16:30
Hi,

I have 6 Tomb Raider-games, 2 Max Payne-games and 3 Splinter Cell-games, but according to a friend of mine it's a waste having such a great videocard and such a powerful computer and let it go to waste by narrowing down my choices of videogames like I do now.

The problem is that first-person shooters give me a splitting headache. So I have to focus on third-person shooters. Thus the following question: what today's 3rd-person shooters are really, really, really good?

I just downloaded the demo of "Star Wars: Jedi Academy" and even though it was third-person and it looked good, I didn't enjoy it. It was too hectic and a little too difficult for me.

Nevertheless, I'm a huge Star Wars-fan and I noticed another Star Wars-videogame named "Star Wars: Knights of the old republic II" and I was wondering ... is there a chance that I will like that game after I DID NOT enjoy the above-mentioned Star Wars-game or are those two very much alike?

And what other fantastic third-person videogames can I buy, please?

Thanks,

Bye for now

BlueSkiesXXV
5th May 2005, 17:35
The new 'Prince Of Persia' games are great!

GoranAgar
5th May 2005, 17:38
I just downloaded the demo of "Star Wars: Jedi Academy"
That was one excellent game.

Mangar The Dark
5th May 2005, 17:40
Knights Of The Old Republic is an RPG-- NOT an action game (no jump button or anything like that, and combat is turn-based.) Now, having said that, it's a great game, and it has the best story of any SW game out there, but it is nothing like Tomb Raider.

Prince Of Persia: Sands of Time is really good if you're looking for a TR-like experience. The fights can get frustrating at times, though, as enemies can teleport and regenerate. But overall, it's a very well-made game.

I really enjoyed an older game called "Rune," which is a third-person game set in Norse mythology. The controls were great, there was plenty of exploration, a fair amount of puzzle solving (using levers, etc.), and the hacking & slashing sword/axe action was fun. Oh, and it's huge-- over 40 levels! So, if you have a PC, you may want to check it out. Granted, it's a few years old now, so it's not exactly cutting edge, but it still looks quite good, and you can probably find it used for a couple of bucks, so you have nothing to lose.

LARAMANIAC
5th May 2005, 19:25
That was one excellent game.

...............and it still is! Why not come and play online with us, Godfather!? :D

LaraAngelOfDarkness
5th May 2005, 21:30
Beyond Good and Evil!

Godfather
5th May 2005, 22:03
...............and it still is! Why not come and play online with us, Godfather!? :D

Well, I only have a demo for starters. And ... even though I'm very good at playing Splinter Cell ... brilliant as Max Payne and arguably the best as Lara Croft ... i'm truly terrible as a Jedi. :rolleyes:
I'm so bad that I'd put the rest of the team in danger. I guess Jar Jar Binks is even more dangerous than I am. :D :D

But thanks for the offer. I'll think about it.

Bye for now

suzieq51
5th May 2005, 22:26
It's an oldie but I enjoyed playing "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine".

Notts Raider
5th May 2005, 23:46
Beyond Good and Evil!

That was a fun game :D

midroth
6th May 2005, 00:18
Beyond Good & Evil, at one had. At the other hand, Primal.
Ya ok...I have my problems to choose the right girl...

kiss-bite
7th May 2005, 03:44
I love ICO it's an amazing game!! A game like no other!!!! Can't wait for it's kind of sequal (Shadow of the Colossus) Primal, Legacy of Kain series & Beyond Good & Evil were all great games!!! Tomb Raider on PS-One was the best 3rd person game along with Soul Reaver!!!

MillaFan
7th May 2005, 16:50
I think the Silent Hill games are on PC now.

LARAMANIAC
8th May 2005, 23:29
Have to add BloodRayne here too! Can't wait go get my grubby paws on BloodRayne 2!! :D

johnbegone
9th May 2005, 04:36
I think the Silent Hill games are on PC now.
correctamundo!!!! saw some yesterday in the pc section of a local shop mall.

John Carter
9th May 2005, 10:54
Knights of the Old Republic failed to capture my interest when I first bought it. Played it again this year and found it be one of the best games I've ever played. Fantastic storyline and characters, great gameplay if you like RPG style combat systems.

KOTOR 2 is also a great game, although it suffers a tad from the AoD syndrome of being rushed out the door in such a way that large chunks of the plot aren't there. Nonetheless, I also hugely enjoyed that game. One of the game's writers worked on Planetscape: Torment, for my money the best RPG computer game ever made. KOTOR 2 won't make as much sense if you haven't played the original first.

GoranAgar
9th May 2005, 11:23
Beyond Good & Evil
Major fun!

Knights of the Old Republic failed to capture my interest when I first bought it. Played it again this year and found it be one of the best games I've ever played.
I am still at stage one. The stage where it fails to capture my interest. When I see it cheap for the XBox I'll probably get it again.

Deckard
10th May 2005, 21:49
You might want to keep an eye on Dreamfall (http://www.dreamfall.com/) - it's not out yet, but looks very promising. The description says it's a "thrilling action-adventure" and the screens which have been published by now look really good! Since it's coming out quite late, the game should become a nice challenge for the graphics performance of your system :D . In my experience, the most performance hungry among available games played in 3rd person perspective is SC3, obviously with all goodies turned on. App. 35 - 40 fps average in 1280x1024 with a 6800GT@410MHz ... :D . Of course I hope that TR7 will become a nice challenge too ... let's take advantage of all those transistors :cool:! On the other hand, if I had to choose, I'd prefer a catching gameplay experience rather than a brilliant looking but vacuous and repetitive shooter ... :rolleyes:.