PDA

View Full Version : EP 3 Chapter 4, PC Version Crash

DAITENSHI
5th May 2005, 02:55
I've read all the posts and see there's a lot of quirky bugs all over the place....so I thought I'd add my issue.

I've completed all of Episode 1 and 2, and all but one Chapter of Episode 3....Defense of Kashyyyk. It turns out when I play JUST this Chapter, whenever I use a Grappler the game freezes and my screen goes blank (to the point where the screen thinks my computer is off). If I ALT DEL to go back to windows my system comes back up, if I click LEGO Star Wars on the taskbar, the game comes back up and is running fine. If I use a Grappler character again, and I've tried 8 of them, the same thing happens. Now I've played this Chapter so many times I'm going crazy. I've even played up to the third part of the Chapter just ALT DEL'ing back to the game after the Grappler error (tell me that's not devotion). Eventually, the game will completely error out. I don't have the exact error copied down anywhere but I can provide the tech description if people want to see it.

My system isn't anything stellar:
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz
768 RAM
XP SP2
Radeon 9000 AGP Pro 128

I know my Vid Card is older but I've been able to play this entire game EXCEPT this Chapter (and a lot of other newer games). I'm more than a little frustrated at this point as I'm so close to finishing the game.

I don't imagine there's going to be any help available for this but I thought I'd add it to the list.

txa1265
5th May 2005, 11:10
You might want to post the error - I have played it on both desktop and laptop systems without any issues ... other than trying to control the mad spinning little green freak ;)

Mike

intrepid_soul
5th May 2005, 15:36
When you say you tried 8 of them, I would assume you are now playing in free play? Does this mean the level works correctly in story mode? Also if you could get the exact error it may help us track things down better for you.

DAITENSHI
5th May 2005, 17:35
Thanks for the responses guys....

TXA, I'll post the error after work.

Intrepid, Correct I am playing in Free mode....but as Story mode the error happend as well, I had just resigned myself to trying to complete it. I skipped as many Grappler "missions" as I could and just ran for the finish line.

Again, I will post the error tonight....

Thanks again guys.

intrepid_soul
5th May 2005, 22:22
Intrepid, Correct I am playing in Free mode....but as Story mode the error happend as well, I had just resigned myself to trying to complete it. I skipped as many Grappler "missions" as I could and just ran for the finish line.

Again, I will post the error tonight....

Thanks again guys.

So some of the grapple sites are working and some are not then? I seem to recall needing to grapple to free the trapped wookies. If it is one particular spot could you give me more clues as to where?

Thanks

DAITENSHI
6th May 2005, 00:26
Well, it's a Windows Error Code and I can't copy the hard dump and the txt file deletes itself after I close the error window but I got this:

AppName: legostarwars.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: legostarwars.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00128e6e

Which means exactly squat (I'm an IT guy too). I may try screen shots but it's a long error dump, more than one screen.

Finer points:
Any Grappler action on the first section freezes.
Any Grappler action on the beach is AOK.
No Grappler action in the bog.
Any Grappler action on the final leg (minikits) freezes.

I actually played an entire round again avoiding using the Grappling Hooks, just to get the Jedi Status all the way up....but screwed up and opened the escape pod doors. I didn't realize that ended the Chapter in Free Mode. Just wasn't thinking.

Do I need both the Minikits and the Jedi Status to be full to get to the Secret Level? I don't think so.... If not I may just say screw the final Minikit and go for Full Jedi Status again to free it.

intrepid_soul
6th May 2005, 15:31
You only need full Jedi status to get the secret door, the mini kits are just to build the ships in the parking lot. So not really a needed object, just one of the cool extras. You have me scratching my head on this one, because I specifically went through all Ep 3 stories specifically using the grappling hook. Nothing bad happened on my end. Any chance you could post your DXdiag info?

If it helps you are not the only one, the only issue is what is causing it. Something we are trying to track down.

DAITENSHI
6th May 2005, 15:36
I'm out of town for the weekend but I'll try to get you the DX info next week. I pretty much set my mind to just trying to get full Jedi Status so I can get to the Vader Chapter.

Not being the only one eases my troubled soul. Naw, it's all good, if I can at least finish the Chapters that's all I want to do. I really like this game and just want to see what all it has to offer.

Thanks for all the help man.*Oh, I also reinstalled the game last night but didn't have time to try the mission out again. I doubt it;s the save so I was hoping maybe that would maybe resolve the issue. Hadn't thought about that avenue before. Shame on me. I'll let you know if it worked next week.

GnPTurtle
6th May 2005, 23:13
I had the same problem with a Radeon 9200. Chewie tries to grapple in that first spot... Locks up tight.
All I did was hit ATI's site and update my drivers. Now everything's AOK.

intrepid_soul
6th May 2005, 23:15
Thank you for the information! That has to be one of the wierdest issues dealing with drivers that I have ever seen. I will start recommending it to everyone. Thanks.

DAITENSHI
9th May 2005, 13:11
As an update:

I had updated my driver after my issue arose and it didn't solve the problem....but after reading turtles post I decided to try again. I loaded a new driver for my vid card....and then the game didn't work at all....then I tried another (not newest) ATI driver....and it SOLVED the problem. finished the Chapter with no further issues what so ever. Game completed and I had a great time doing it as well.

Thanks for the assistance and the attention.

Moral of the story....if you have an old video card, finding the right driver can be a long process. Trial and error.

Thanks again.

jaywalker2309
9th May 2005, 13:46
As an update:

I had updated my driver after my issue arose and it didn't solve the problem....but after reading turtles post I decided to try again. I loaded a new driver for my vid card....and then the game didn't work at all....then I tried another (not newest) ATI driver....and it SOLVED the problem. finished the Chapter with no further issues what so ever. Game completed and I had a great time doing it as well.

Thanks for the assistance and the attention.

Moral of the story....if you have an old video card, finding the right driver can be a long process. Trial and error.

Thanks again.

So what driver did you use in the end?

DAITENSHI
10th May 2005, 12:07
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

Actually, I think this is the newest driver....I just didn't think it applied to my vid....but here it is.