PDA

View Full Version : Napoleonic tactics???

Joe 98
5th May 2005, 00:30
I am a wargamer and am very familiar with military tactics. In spite of inaccuracies some of you have pointed to, this game is fun!

But my wargaming is limited to the 20th century and I don’t know the tactics from the Napoleonic era. Questions:

The enemy infantry have LOS to my guns! How do I protect my guns from enemy infantry attacks? Do I place infantry nearby?

How to use cavalry? I presume to scout. And they could attack an already weakened infantry formation. In the demo there are 2 of them. How to put in an efficient attack?

I can’t hide from the enemy. How do I arrange to put in a strong attack on his weakest point?

How do I arrange my cavalry and infantry to work together?

BANANAMAN
5th May 2005, 01:28
I am a wargamer and am very familiar with military tactics. In spite of inaccuracies some of you have pointed to, this game is fun!

But my wargaming is limited to the 20th century and I don’t know the tactics from the Napoleonic era. Questions:

The enemy infantry have LOS to my guns! How do I protect my guns from enemy infantry attacks? Do I place infantry nearby?

How to use cavalry? I presume to scout. And they could attack an already weakened infantry formation. In the demo there are 2 of them. How to put in an efficient attack?

I can’t hide from the enemy. How do I arrange to put in a strong attack on his weakest point?

Hi there Joe 98, I think you are talking about the Hanover battle, yes?

Your first question was that when your artilery is within enemy infantry's Line Of Sight how do you protect your artilery. Well, just put an infantry inline right behind it. If you put your troopers infront of your own artilery then you would be shooting at your own men.

Your second question was how to use cavalry. Well, everybody has his own ideas about how to use cavalry but I use them in this pc game only against enemy cavalry and enemy artilery. When using against enemy infantry I use them only to scare the enemy infantry into square formations so that your inline infantry formation(s) can shoot those enemy square formations to pieces. This means I fake attacks against enemy infantry, because in this pc game the enemy infantry forms square too fast. And you mentioned something about scouting: just pause the game and look around the map, now that's what I call scouting. I normaly 'scout' the map for its heights & lows where I can hide my cavalry. Even in the Hanover battle you can hide your cavalry to your right flank. That's where I put all my cavalry, then I let just one squadron go behind the enemy's rear and in the meanwhile I let the rest of my army come at slow pace infront of the enemy. You can imagine yourself that I use the pause option a lot.

Then when my frontline formation is set I keep the howitzer at the bridge and the normal cannons at the frontline. I open fire with those normal cannons. A few enemy infantry-men get hit, the whole enemy frontline gets pissed and makes a headon attack.

Now let the right flank cavalry attack the enemy's left flank (only) cavalry. Then let your cavalry in the enemy's rear attack the enemy's artilery. In this way you get the enemy cannons out of the way and the enemy cavalry, so that the enemy only has infantry to work its things out.

But it will cost your normal cannons though. Now, it's time to bring in the howitzers. The howitzer artilery is meant for taking down buildings. So, bring the howitzer within range of the farmhouse and start shooting at the farmhouse.

When those enemy infantry-men inside the farmhouse get hit they get pissed and rush out towards your infantry formations. But like a fly that enemy infantry formation is just rushing into the arms of the spider which is your three infantry formations.

In Imperial Glory it's all about flanking the enemy with your cavalry and attacking with your cavalry the weakest and most dangerous enemy units: the enemy artilery units.

screamingpalm
5th May 2005, 01:32

Hello! The tactics of the Napoleonic period were much more complex than in IG, so it would be hard for me to advise on what would be best as far as this game is concerned as I tend to use historic strategies (even in spite of it all). [I even hate moving units through each other, as that would often disorder them historically-except passage of lines, and a couple of exceptions]

Enemy infantry has LOS to your artillery....well, IMO you shouldnt have to protect your guns as much as you do in IG. If a unit of infantry has LOS on your guns, they are probably in cannister range (or close to it) and your guns should have no problem defending themselves. :p Of course a big part of this is a nonexistent morale system, because infantry would often break because of cannister fire. A tactic I do use, is to line some cavalry up behind the guns in case they do get overwhelmed. In IG however, a single unit of infantry in line can take out artillery just by firing on it.......hillarious.

Cavalry had different purposes depending on the type. Heavy cavalry were used as shock troops and were leathal in combat, light cavalry were used for scouting and also used in pursuit after a battle to cause horrible casualties. Cavalry was most useful when attacking an already weakened unit, however again, without morale and fatigue this will not play out accurately. Cavalry also fatigues quickly, its like a huge burst and then exhaustion. Cavalry played a huge role in this period, and all but obsolete by the American Civil War (mostly light cav for scouting) due to improved firearms.

Hiding from the enemy takes us to another feature missing from the era. Not only as the British did in sunken areas of the battlefield, but the smoke and fog of war which was so prevelant in the time. Maybe technology isnt there for this yet.

Hope that helps a tad. :)

Villaret-Joyeuse
5th May 2005, 03:51
Well said, screamingpain. The differences between your post and BANANAMAN's post about what to do in the game, highlight how unrealistic this game is. (Based on what we have seen from the demo.)

Pickett's Charge over 50 years later still showed the awesome firepower of artillery with canister over infantry.

I would just add that the power of cavalry laid primarily in the concept of combined arms. There were numerous unsuccessful cavarly charges, with the disastorous charges at Waterloo. (Both French and British) If the French cavalry charge had been followed up by infantry, then the British squares would have been decimated. Which highlights one of the more important jobs of cavalry to limit the mobility of the infantry.

Cavalry also had another important function. If one were to lose a battle, cavalry helped cover the retreat, hence why Waterloo went from a defeat to a decimation of the Grande Armee.

Unfortunately, the way the game is set up, IG is more like Napoleonic Deathmatch, rather than the Napoleonic Wars.. as the Eidos website says:

"HISTORICALLY ACCURATE UNITS AND WEAPONRY
Faithfully reproduced units, which differ from Empire to Empire, reflect the colour and pomp of the era.
Authentic period formations and manoeuvres provide great tactical depth"

Khornish
5th May 2005, 06:12
Villaret,

Matrix Games has 2 Napoleonic games in the works, both scheduled for release in the next few months. Both may very well contain more of what you and I would like to see out of a computer game.

I've not given up hope on IG though.

Of course, there's Les Grognards, but that has already been plugged quite well here :cool: . I expect to buy 2 copies of Les Grognards, may get IG depending on the strategic level features, and will definately look at the two games from Matrix Games.

saddletank
5th May 2005, 11:01
If you put your troopers infront of your own artilery then you would be shooting at your own men.

Except in this game you could even put your infantry or cavalry right in front of your own guns, there is no friendly fire in IG :p

in this pc game the enemy infantry forms square too fast.

Indeed it does.

just pause the game and look around the map, now that's what I call scouting.

Yep, Ney and Soult always had Hueys at their disposal to go do a bit of aerial recon before issuing their battle plans. Have you seen that marvellous portrait by David of Davout manning an M60 door gun? Great painting.

Even in the Hanover battle you can hide your cavalry to your right flank.

No you can't, there is no LOS rule in this game. The AI can see through hills and woods and knows where your troops are, once you get within their bubble of detection. If you are going to offer a newcomer to the game advice, Bananaman, then at least give him the facts.

A few enemy infantry-men get hit, the whole enemy frontline gets pissed and makes a headon attack.

Just like Wellington did at Busaco, Fuentes, Vimiera and Waterloo then.

The howitzer artilery is meant for taking down buildings.

In IG it is, in real life howitzers had many other functions in addition to the ability to set fire to buildings. In IG they are not much different to field guns.

When those enemy infantry-men inside the farmhouse get hit they get pissed and rush out towards your infantry formations.

Just like the Prussians at Ligny, or the British Guards at Hougomont.

the weakest and most dangerous enemy units: the enemy artilery units.

Thanks Bananaman, a fair summary of how and why gameplay develops in IG. The facts straight from the horses mouth ;)

saddletank
5th May 2005, 11:02
Khornish, have you got links to the upcoming Matrix releases please?

The only way I am going to enjoy playing IG is online against other serious period wargamers who will agree to use historical tactics in battles with me. Then this game could be a lot of fun, especially if players agree a sort of morale system and voluntarily withdraw their units once they are below 50% strength.

Villaret-Joyeuse
5th May 2005, 12:05
Funny stuff, saddletank! (and right on!)

I like the idea of withdrawing units at 50%, however, with IG's ridiculus "Deathmatch Melee combat", it would mean no charges for infantry. :(

Villaret-Joyeuse
5th May 2005, 12:20
Here: (Actually there are 3)

BLACK POWDER WARS: BATTLES OF NAPOLEON - http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=309

CROWN OF GLORY: EUROPE IN THE AGE OF NAPOLEON -
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=306
(Looks basically a computerized Avalon Hill game - ****ty graphics- however the designers website show some nicer graphics - http://www.west-civ.com/)

EMPIRES IN ARMS - http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=285
(Computerized version of a board game)

saddletank
5th May 2005, 13:32
Thanks V-J (can I call you V-J?)

BANANAMAN
5th May 2005, 15:46
I'm right in middle of the Les Grognards crowd I believe.. again.

But this time they seem somewhat more gentle then the last time. :D

Sometimes the artilery shoots its own men standing right infront of them and sometimes not in Imperial Glory, it realy depends on the height & angle between artilery and infantry standing close to eachother.

And I gave Joe 98 a glimps how to play Imperial Glory not how to carry out Napoleonic reenactment somewhere on a footballfield.

BANANAMAN
5th May 2005, 15:50
I just deleted this message to keep the bloody peace in here.

Nevermind me.

:)

Picotrain
5th May 2005, 16:06
Bananaman says that you can inadvertently fire at your own troops, while saddletank says there is no friendly fire. Who is correct? I thought I saw friendly fire when playing the demo, but I could be mistaken.

intrepid_soul
5th May 2005, 16:12
I know the cannons can be used to attack friendly troops.

screamingpalm
5th May 2005, 16:39
Here: (Actually there are 3)

BLACK POWDER WARS: BATTLES OF NAPOLEON - http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=309

CROWN OF GLORY: EUROPE IN THE AGE OF NAPOLEON -
http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=306
(Looks basically a computerized Avalon Hill game - ****ty graphics- however the designers website show some nicer graphics - http://www.west-civ.com/)

EMPIRES IN ARMS - http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=285
(Computerized version of a board game)

Thanks for those links, I've got them bookmarked (always looking for a good campaign supplement for miniatures).

Khornish
5th May 2005, 17:18
Khornish, have you got links to the upcoming Matrix releases please?

The only way I am going to enjoy playing IG is online against other serious period wargamers who will agree to use historical tactics in battles with me. Then this game could be a lot of fun, especially if players agree a sort of morale system and voluntarily withdraw their units once they are below 50% strength.

I would have PM'd em to you, but I was asleep. :eek:

psycduty
7th May 2005, 22:22
Lmao saddletank, that rather long set of quotes really got me chuckling here! :D
Ah if only Marshall Soult had Hueys, maybe Waterloo wouldve ended different?
I agree totally with howitzers and their use in battle, i mean the 88mm gun was predominantly used as an anti-aircraft gun, then experimenting with it a little it was discovered to be one of the finest anti tank guns of its age!
l33tong if u ask me :)
Also, howitzers are fantastic for taking out square formations (just a little tip)
To sum up tho, this game although the producers try, will not be exact to date and detail, their aim is to make it playable, the introduction of tactics that were used from "back in' day" are to a certain extent usable, for example square formations (which i have highlighted the origin of in an earlier topic) line formations were used by the british heavily to maximise firepower, whereas the french used the column predominantly to 'Smash' through enemy lines. (in this instance the rate of fire will outweigh the ability to 'smash' through ure opponents lines)
Anyhow, i cant wait to play this game, especially seeing as tho my A level exams finish around the time its released! :cool:
-also Joe 98, it isnt that wise to place historical accuracy onto a game, after all it is only a game, im not trying to be offensive here or anything but the only way you can get far (in terms of multiplaying) in RTS's is to find a tactic that u can form easily and adapt to (remembering "no plan, however well thought out, never ever survives the battlefield"- can someone get me who said that please :D ) then your away, it may involve researching napoleion's tactics or wellington's or even Blucher (if your that crazy :D) or it may involve some n00bish 'rush' tactic that always seems to piss me off on games like 'Cossacks' or 'Warhammer: Dawn of War' (being a wargamer u should no 'pixies n fairies' style of warhammer Joe :D )
Anyhow i wish you goodluck with this game, i have no doubt im going to get owned by people half my age... so im just gonna enjoy and swear alot until i win some games ;)

NaPoLeOn_FusilieR
15th May 2005, 15:46

Well Joe, I know alot of tactics. How to use cavalry?: Send them somewhere else to attack the enemy army from behind so they cant run away.

How do I protect my guns from enemy infantry attacks?: Use your artillery to kill them or use (your) infantry to fight against them --dont forget that you can use your cavalry against them--.

How do I arrange to put in a strong attack on his weakest point?: Attack with you Cavalry or Infantry them from behind cuz thats one of the weakest point of the enemy :cool:

Lord Caeres
15th May 2005, 20:39

Over hundreds of years, people have fought against one another in lines and columns. people would line up and shoot one another, which is in my opinion worthless. A strategy i like to use is this:

Cannons: Use them wisely, for they are extremely deadly. position your cannons at choke points and on top of hills for better striking power. situate them at all three fronts of the enemy, south, east, and west. when your army marches toward theirs, the cannons will hit them on all three sides, and will blow up at least 50% of the middle ranks and front ranks of troops. guard these cannons with a few infantry units, and some calvary as back up. Cannons will win the war for you. concentrate their fire in the middle and back ranks for best results, as in multiple deaths in concentrated infantry units.

In my strategies, all three parts of the army, Cannons, Calvary, and Infantry all have a part to play, and they all work in unison.

Infantry: Diversion force. they act as a diversion to the enemy infantry while the cannons pound away at the middle and back ranks. Infantry serve to be a light task force. i use my infantry in the way that the Zulu used theirs against the british. three small armies, gaps in between, in three formations all in a straight horizontal line. then i have a back up formation rank in the back of the middle formation rank. this proves to be good because the formation can be used effectively for frontal and flank assualts. you should also place sharpshooter infantry by the cannons and at the sides of the enemy infantry lines, to help the cannons pick off infantry. One the main infantry lines meet up with the enemy, and start firing, move onto phase 3.

What i will tell you now, will be the downfall of many of my victories in the game to come. while your infantry lines fight, it would be wise to use the calvary to finish them off. Not quite so with a real general.

Calvary: When the infantry lines meet up and start firing at eachother, lead the calvary to secretly go behind the entire enemy army. once the infantry armies start attacking, concentrate your cannon fire on the calvary at the back of the enemy army. this is what i use to pull in the idiots who dare challenge me. they will use their calvary to immediately charge the positions that the cannons are in. The cannons are merely another diversion for a more large plan. Once the phase of picking off infantry is complete, the cannons dont have much use anymore. While the cannons and light infantry units pick off the charging calvary, wait for them to hit your cannons. as soon as they do, immediately charge from behind the entire enemy army with your secret calvary force. charge the infantry and pick off as many as you can, but dont stay to charge the enemy calvary. as soon as the enemy calvary comes, retreat with your calvary and lead them on a chase. then have your cannons fire behind the enemy calvary, to blow up the stragelers one by one. if you do this, a very good chance is that the enemy will lose half it's calvary. then they will retreat and do either one of two things: they will either charge the cannons again with the remaining calvary and light infantry units, or they will be stubborn and chase the calvary, or; they will send just their infantry to counter the cannons and use them as a shield for the calvary.

While your infantry lines are firing away, continue to fire your cannons at the remaining calvary and guard them with your calvary, in an attempt to drive them off. at this point, the enemy knows hes in deep trouble. he may take some of his infantry forces and charge thhe cannons with his calvary, or send his calvary to attack your infantry. if he charges your infantry with his calvary, concentrate the cannon fire on the enemy infantry, and then the enemy calvary, (once the calvary hits your infantry). at this point, the battlefield will be in utter chaos. you will have to be quick and swift and think on your feet, or lose all of your infantry.

if he does counter the cannons, fire the cannons at the calvary behind the infantry, not the other way around. this will drive the enemy calvary off so you can sweep in th enemy infantry charging your cannons with your calvary. if he does both, then he is very desperate. At this point, i only have a few working methods. to keep his calvary from eating your infantry when he charges, charge with your calvary, and fire the cannons at the remaining enemy infantry. at this point, you will have pretty much all your calvary against his half of calvary. you should outnumber him 2:1 in calvary, and with your infantry its 3:1. eat the charging calvary and he will have no choice but to retreat, or die. now that you have saved your infantry and the cannons are pounding the rest of his enemy infantry, charge with bayonets!

Sweep your calvary into the remaining infantry and charge your infantry at the calvary instead of the infantry. your infantry will die, but will act as a diversion to the enemy's calvary, he would love to kill off your infantry at this point. after your infantry has died, so has his, and you still outnumber his calvary to yours 2:1. fire your cannons at the enemy calvary fighting your infantry, and it will kill them off. then, charge your full force of calvary and the rest of your infantry units near your cannons as i said above, and eat away his remaining calvary.

Congradulations! You have just won a tough battle! This is only one of my strategies, and it works EXTREMELY well. i advise all of you to use this particular strategy with the instructions, and test it out. Maybe one day you will fight me and see if the strategy can counter the creator in glorious combat.

Cheers!

Lord Caeres :D

Thecrisis5
15th May 2005, 21:39
Wow lord careses,get a life. :p

(type name here)
15th May 2005, 22:09
Your 16 and already have a job selling books!

Lord Caeres
15th May 2005, 22:12
Your 16 and already have a job selling books!

Well hmm, my writing is good, and my ideas are ingenious for this time period. ive talked with other professional writers who are similar to me in age. I sell books yes, i write books. i started writing at 14, i wrote my first book, Lord Caeres, at 15. ROFLMAO :D

(type name here)
15th May 2005, 22:29
You're an Idiot.

Coming from the guy who's still in high school.

Thecrisis5
15th May 2005, 23:00
@ lord careses
What made you think your Sh** didnt stink. You wrote a book, big Fricking deal, i have a masters degree, and if you know anything that requires writing a thesis which is fairly long. Dont condiscend on me because you work at borders.

saddletank
15th May 2005, 23:30
Wow, Lord Careses, nice posts. You're really cool man. Have you read any books on Napoleonic tactics? Just curious. I'm so impressed with your clever strategies but I wanted to ask you a few questions as a couple of things I'm not clear on (sorry I'm a bit slow, only been gaming for 33 years now)

people would line up and shoot one another, which is in my opinion worthless.
OK this is the first thing that puzzles me in your clever post. You see Julius Caesar, Hannibal, Henry V, the Duke of Marlborough and the Duke of Wellington and some short Corsican guy who's name I forget at the moment (to name just a few of the more clueless idiots from history) all deployed their armies in lines. The tactic seemed to work for them so I wonder if you could clarify what your great discovery is that makes their successful tactics worthless?

position your cannons at choke points and on top of hills for better striking power. situate them at all three fronts of the enemy, south, east, and west.
What if there are no choke points or hills south east and west of the enemy? Where do I place my cannons for best effect then? If I'm attacking as your great tactical thesis goes on to imply, how do I place the cannons at a choke point? Surely a choke point is only useful for a defence and when the enemy is forced to advance through it? Help me out here I must be really thick to miss this vital part of your suggested tactic.

And what do I do in a situation where the enemy army is the same strength as mine or even stronger, (which I think is a situation I might meet often online in points based games) surely then I won't be able to place my cannons south east and west of him since he will have an equal or greater frontage to me. Are you suggesting I spread my line very thin or give my opponent the gift of operating on interior lines? Help me out here because your tactic seems hard to visualise. And this south-east-west thing, what happens if the enemy is not coming from the north?

the cannons will hit them on all three sides, and will blow up at least 50% of the middle ranks and front ranks of troops.
At least 50%? Wow, impressive. What is your suggested tactic against counterbattery fire. I mean if my south east west cannons are in choke points on hills and I'm the attacker maybe the enemy might destroy my cannons with his while I'm killing at least 50% of his infantry. Your clever plan seems to have no contingency for an enemy who does not do exactly what you expect which confuses me, however I'll try your plan because it must work, you seem to have such confidence in it.

Cannons will win the war for you. concentrate their fire in the middle and back ranks for best results, as in multiple deaths in concentrated infantry units.
Didn't you say above that the cannons would kill at least 50% of the middle and FRONT ranks of the enemy? And now you're saying the middle and back ranks. Should I move my cannons to the north as well as to the south east and west. Do I need choke points and hills to the north as well or is this an optional tactic.

Also I have heard that cannon fire should be aimed just in front of an enemy so the ball bounces and rolls through the enemy formation. Yet you say to fire at the middle and back of the target which contradicts with a book I'm reading by some guy called David Chandler entitled 'The Campaigns of Napoleon'. Maybe this Chandler person is wrong and you, also a writer, and clearly a tactician of some standing are correct, please advise.

In my strategies, all three parts of the army, Cannons, Calvary, and Infantry all have a part to play, and they all work in unison.
You said above that my 'cannons will win the war for me', so do I even need the infantry and cavalry? Also why should I need Calvary, I would imagine a Catholic roadside shrine would not be much use at the crisis of battle. Unless of course I'm fighting you and losing.

Infantry: Diversion force. Infantry serve to be a light task force.
That's a novel use of infantry. Almost every army in history until now has used infantry as the main backbone of their deployment. Some eastern horse armies such as the Parthians and Samartians of course didn't use their infantry this way. Maybe you are right and 90% of past generals have screwed up, so I'll try your tactics and see how they work.

i use my infantry in the way that the Zulu used theirs against the british. three small armies, gaps in between, in three formations all in a straight horizontal line. then i have a back up formation rank in the back of the middle formation rank.
The Zulu tactic of chest, horns and loins wasn't what I'd call a diversion or light task force. Um... it was their entire army. The Zulu Impi also moved much faster than their opponent which was one part of their success, plus they outnumbered him. Can I count on having these advantages all the time? I'm nervous about placing my army sections wide apart with gaps between as the enemy may use the tactic of concentration of overwhelming force against a part of my army. What is your (no doubt brilliant) tactic for dealing with such a move?

One the main infantry lines meet up with the enemy, and start firing, move onto phase 3.
I am sorry to appear so slow but you have lost me now. What were phase 1 and phase 2 you don't seem to have numbered the other parts of your tactical plan (though a work of sheer genius it surely is).

What i will tell you now, will be the downfall of many of my victories
I believe you.

lead the calvary to secretly go behind the entire enemy army.
Now there is this thing with the Catholic roadside shrine again. I'm very confused now. And while my entire cavalry is riding around the enemy army, won't he need to be totally blind and stupid not to notice? Or is it part of your master plan to only fight blind stupid generals?

this is what i use to pull in the idiots who dare challenge me.
Oh, I see, you do only fight idiots. What then do you do about the great tacticians who dare to challenge you? You know the ones who aren't blind, stupid and who have destroyed your cannons with their counterbattery fire while yours are killing at least 50% of the front and middle (or was it back?) ranks of their infantry and which are dancing around them from most of the points of the compass while the enemy obligingly does nothing.

they will use their calvary to immediately charge the positions that the cannons are in.
Are you certain? What if they don't?

The cannons are merely another diversion for a more large plan.
Ah, I see. The brilliance of this many onion layered plan is stunning in it's complexity, it's subtlety, it's ability to ensure the enemy does nothing that you don't expect.

continue to fire your cannons at the remaining calvary and guard them with your calvary,
Guard my cannons with my cavalry? You mean my entire cavalry I have just sent right around behind the enemy? Would you run that one by me again please?

the enemy knows hes in deep trouble.
I think I will be too if I try and follow this plan.

...some of his infantry forces and charge thhe cannons with his calvary, or send his calvary to attack your infantry. if he charges your infantry with his calvary, concentrate the cannon fire on the enemy infantry, and then the enemy calvary, (once the calvary hits your infantry). at this point, the battlefield will be in utter chaos. you will have to be quick and swift and think on your feet, or lose all of your infantry.
Er...utter chaos...right.

if he does counter the cannons, fire the cannons at the calvary behind the infantry, not the other way around. this will drive the enemy calvary off so you can sweep in th enemy infantry charging your cannons with your calvary. if he does both, then he is very desperate.
What if he does neither? What if he's not blind or stupid and does something your amazing plan doesn't have a contingency for? If the battlefield is now 'in utter chaos' how can you predict anything that will happen? You must be brilliant to have such confidence, I bow to your godlike skill and tactical prowess.

At this point, i only have a few working methods.
Glad to hear it.

to keep his calvary from eating your infantry when he charges, charge with your calvary, and fire the cannons at the remaining enemy infantry. at this point, you will have pretty much all your calvary against his half of calvary. you should outnumber him 2:1 in calvary, and with your infantry its 3:1. eat the charging calvary and he will have no choice but to retreat, or die. now that you have saved your infantry and the cannons are pounding the rest of his enemy infantry, charge with bayonets!
That all seems crystal clear. But one point here bothers me. What if I don't have 2:1 and/or 3:1 superiority by this point? What are his cannons doing all day? I think your blind stupid opponent must have sent them off to Tescos to do his shopping as he clearly isn't using them in this battle you have planned. And all this eating that's going on - are you quite confident that my troops will have time to sit down to luncheon while all this is going on around them?

Sweep your calvary into the remaining infantry and charge your infantry at the calvary instead of the infantry. your infantry will die, but will act as a diversion to the enemy's calvary, he would love to kill off your infantry at this point. after your infantry has died, so has his, and you still outnumber his calvary to yours 2:1. fire your cannons at the enemy calvary fighting your infantry, and it will kill them off. then, charge your full force of calvary and the rest of your infantry units near your cannons as i said above, and eat away his remaining calvary.
Sweet! That was explained really succinctly!

Congradulations! You have just won a tough battle!
Congratulations, you just won the "Post That Is The Biggest Pile of Plop I've Ever Read On This Forum" prize!

This is only one of my strategies,
Do please keep the rest to yourself. I love a surprise.

Maybe one day you will fight me and see if the strategy can counter the creator in glorious combat.
The creator? You mean God? Boy your tactics must be good if you can beat the Creator!

Tell me one last thing, this book you wrote, when you were 15, did it have words in or was it just one of those books with pictures for the kids to colour in? And if it did have words in, I hope you had a good proofreader because your spelling is abysmal.

Thanks for all the laughs, that's probably the most entertaining thing I've read on these fora.

Khornish
16th May 2005, 00:13
Guys, just let this thread die already, don't respond to the appeal to ego.

Remember, please don't feed the trolls.

saddletank
16th May 2005, 00:36
Agh, sorry, too late. :o

(If truth be known I couldn't resist, I love a good troll bating session) ;)

Thecrisis5
16th May 2005, 00:43
Koranish, i agree, its hard somtimes to be insulted and say nothing, but you right we shouldnt feed the monster.

(type name here)
16th May 2005, 02:01
Although, somtimes the truth must be told.

Mike_B
16th May 2005, 09:16
Leave those people to me, I'll take care of them.

saddletank
16th May 2005, 15:29
(snaps to attention) YESSIR!

Stereophobia
16th May 2005, 17:08
Well hmm, my writing is good, and my ideas are ingenious for this time period. ive talked with other professional writers who are similar to me in age. I sell books yes, i write books. i started writing at 14, i wrote my first book, Lord Caeres, at 15. ROFLMAO :D

Well after an exhaustive search for your book, so that I can see how great your writing truly is, I've discovered that if you have written a book by that title, it certainly wasnt published.
Have you "written" any that were?