PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the other Countries ?

Kaizer
4th May 2005, 21:57
Hi mates :) ,

I saw the screenshots of the game especialy the one with the map,
my questions are simple, I know that I can control the five "Great Powers " of the period, France, UK, Russia, Austria and Prussia, what about the other Civs/countries are existed in the game like Holland or Dutsh , Ottoman Empire, Romania, Sweden, Spain etc and what about the Countries like Greece/Hellas,Serbia which gained their independence are going to be in the game ?????
If all these countries are going to existed can I unlock and play with them with the help of a mod ? or is going to be a future expansion package from the company (I know is to early , and sorry for asking, but in case anyone knows something about it)?
Finaly question is going to be an editor(not official) were I can creat a country with their units and play with it ???

sorry for all these questions but I will like to learn more and more about the game,If my questions had already answered just give me the links of those answers.
I will wait for any reply.....
Thanks

IronChancellor
4th May 2005, 23:51
I am sure hoping that we will be able to unlock these other nations, especially Spain and the Ottoman Empire. Those two should be fun to try. Some of the one province nations may be quite a challenge to survive with.

Kaizer
5th May 2005, 00:08
what I can not understand is whythe developers of the game did not include the Ottoman Empire and Spain in the countires tha we can control, both of them were huge nations, Ottoman Empire was bigger in land and army from Austria and Prussia (Historical Speaking no offence to the people who support those countries)

About the little "province" nations IronChancellor u said, I find more fun to take a small country like Greece or Moldavia and make it large rather take Britain for example, I hope there will be some modifications in order to take or fix more counties in the game. ;)

Khornish
5th May 2005, 01:53
what I can not understand is whythe developers of the game did not include the Ottoman Empire and Spain in the countires tha we can control, both of them were huge nations, Ottoman Empire was bigger in land and army from Austria and Prussia (Historical Speaking no offence to the people who support those countries)

About the little "province" nations IronChancellor u said, I find more fun to take a small country like Greece or Moldavia and make it large rather take Britain for example, I hope there will be some modifications in order to take or fix more counties in the game. ;)

I'm certain there's modders that will be hard at work, once the game is released, trying to give you access to playing as Spain or the Ottomans.

If Eidos is planning for a future expansion to IG, then perhaps we'd get an official version of the game allowing all of the major powers to be played.

BFawlty
5th May 2005, 04:27
Yeah I think Berdan has already mentioned something along those lines. If not I'll bet he'll get it done before too long.

BF

Berdan
5th May 2005, 04:47
i can play any country in battle mode in the demo though some units aren't available. the challenge will be getting them to work for the campaign in the full version.

Yorkie
5th May 2005, 14:34

I know that I can control the five "Great Powers " UK,

UK dint exist them fella, was just the British Empire , UK only became the UK when N.Ireland was formed :)

on another note im glad to see that a Pyo have got the British flag Correct for the period ...

Kaizer
5th May 2005, 16:14
Sorry for my mistake York, I just wirte UK for less letters rather British "Empire" :)

Anyway from what understand propably developers like Berdan as BFawlty said,we will allow us to play with more countries. :)

@Khornish mate, I thing eidos will make an expansion of the game as many nations like Serbia, Greece etc are gained their independence, but those countries are not existed inside the game (or in grand Campaing).
But I do not know if through diplomacy u can libarate nations?? :confused:

I wonder how to difficult will be to creat nations and their units or creat new army units ????

Khornish
5th May 2005, 17:40
@Khornish mate, I thing eidos will make an expansion of the game as many nations like Serbia, Greece etc are gained their independence, but those countries are not existed inside the game (or in grand Campaing).
But I do not know if through diplomacy u can libarate nations?? :confused:

I wonder how to difficult will be to creat nations and their units or creat new army units ????

Most european countries that were controlled by a "great power" during this period didn't become sovereign until after WWI. Italy and Germany being significant exceptions.

I doubt were going to see a level of detail within the strategy arena of this game that will allow for granting of independence. If there is, I would suspect only a scripted event regarding Poland.

It's not difficult to create a new look to the armies, Berdan has proved it can be done, as have some others.

The difficult part, at present, is being able to enable a minor power to be fully active as a player controlled participant in the strategy game.

Kaizer
5th May 2005, 18:34
If the game is ended around 1830 then we have two nations as independent Grece 1821 and Serbia ( I am sure about Greece but not so sure about Serbia).
anway if their is not any option for libarate nation is bud, but a game can not have everything :cool: .

About the Model of the armies , actually after my post I find time and open the .pak file of the demo and I see that is not so difficult to creat an army unit from the start (is like Sid Mayers Pirates and quit near to FIFA kits), but it will be better if we had something like an editor (example TCM) where we can change the colour of the units with out painting or at least to have some templates in the future to paint our models without using the old ones.

The difficult part, at present, is being able to enable a minor power to be fully active as a player controlled participant in the strategy game.

So after the game realesed we have to except that for a while we have to play with the Great Powers until the "forum" developers find a way to control the minor countries.......ok :)

Khornish
5th May 2005, 20:23
If the game is ended around 1830 then we have two nations as independent Grece 1821 and Serbia ( I am sure about Greece but not so sure about Serbia) anway if their is not any option for libarate nation is bud, but a game can not have everything

Yes, Greece gained independence in 1821 from the Ottoman Turks. However, they weren't even considered a minor player in European political circles and would then have no presence in a Napoleonic Wars even if they gained independence earlier.

Serbia didn't gain independence as a principality until about 1876-78, kinda fuzzy on the exact date.

So after the game realesed we have to except that for a while we have to play with the Great Powers until the "forum" developers find a way to control the minor countries.......ok :)

Honestly, I don't think you're going to get to play Greece as combatant in IG, at least not without changing the name and uniforms for one of the Major Powers (which then will be out of the game). Also, unless the method used to code the minor powers is really friendly to modders and it allows them to tinker with all sorts of important stuff, it just won't happen.

Sotos
6th May 2005, 18:21

I saw the screenshots of the game especialy the one with the map,
my questions are simple, I know that I can control the five "Great Powers " of the period, France, UK, Russia, Austria and Prussia, what about the other Civs/countries are existed in the game like Holland or Dutsh , Ottoman Empire, Romania, Sweden, Spain etc and what about the Countries like Greece/Hellas,Serbia which gained their independence are going to be in the game ?????

I will also love to see Greece ( a re Ellada) and Serbia even if they were not strong enough at that times

Ottomans were a bunch of sluggish Barbarians from "east buzukistan" that used weaknesses of the other countries to get the best out of them and conquer them and create their <great big nation> but not for so long...

Greeks (rebels) also had a strategy against the Ottomans called Giourousi attacking from all sides in strategic places perfect for ambush

Later both Greece and Serbia they kicked Ottoman Empire a$$ and they freed themselves...

and Yes Small Countries can make the difference
Just because they are small in size does not mean that they do not have good units and that they are not resourcefull to win

Greece and Serbia still are Free even today and they never bowed for long to the eastern unions like Ottoman\Turkish

They were good in wars, tougher from the English

Kaizer
6th May 2005, 19:10
Geia sou (Hi) Soto,

After the game realeased I am going to try and make some modifications just for Greece to play in the game without effecting other contries except Ottoman Empire.......but first I have to see the game.

And I agree with u Small Countries can make the difference, Is more interesting to try conquer the world rather try to make your Empire Bigger.

Anyway the game is fantastic and is better in quality than Medieval Total War(is quite old for these days) and in the same stage as Rome.

Khornish
6th May 2005, 19:12
and Yes Small Countries can make the difference

Unfortunately, the period covered is going to limit the coding of playable nations to a certain group.

The supporting framework for economics and diplomacy will also have to be present and able to be modded for use by a small country.

I just don't think we're going to see that kind of versatility within IG, as it would really be a waste of resources and therefore time and money, as the game covers a specific period of time. This period of time does not include the various European wars of liberation, independence or unification that occurred 1820-1899.

What can be done is the creation or modification of ethnic units that would exist as a recruitable troop type for a given nation. It may also be possible to give this ethnic unit a special ability chosen from a list of special abilities the game already supports.

That being said, it may be that other Napoleonic games coming out later this year will allow for Greece, Serbia, Croatia, etc., to become independent. It will depend on some specific design choices that currently seem to support granting independence for minor countries.

Let IG sink or swim based on its tactical and strategic elements, but I suggest it would be unfair to judge it poorly if your favorite minor or micro country weren't able to be modded into becoming a potential major power.

Oststar
7th May 2005, 13:30
on another note im glad to see that a Pyo have got the British flag Correct for the period ...

The first time I loaded the game I instantly thought "Hmm the British flag is wrong" then I considered that it may have been that pattern at the time. Since I assume the last remark wasn't sarcastic (too much time spent on sarcastic forums),thanks for the tip off.