PDA

View Full Version : PC Patch: Cancelled

imported_mike_g
4th May 2005, 20:24
I have read this thread, and have been working on getting an official announcment about a patch, and was given this to convey to the community.

"After considerable internal review, Eidos has determined that the company will not create a PC patch for Project Snowblind. We at Eidos apologize for the inconvenience that has been caused to any players of the game."

If any of this information changes in the future, I will be sure to inform the community as soon as it is confirmed.

[eN]Splítter
4th May 2005, 20:50
Mike, we love you and everone who took it upon themselves to ensure that this community works and ensured a patch was being made :D TY

Cell9song
4th May 2005, 22:44
agreed, the mods have really done their best despite the empty suits roaming the halls at Eidos.

I'm appreciative but i fear that its a little too late to get anything resembling a sizeable community playing this online once released. Maybe they'll learn from this experience (though I won't hold my breath) ......

UnknownX
5th May 2005, 00:57
Is there any word on when there will be a PS2 patch? I'd really like to play the game again but with all those red rooms and lagg its impossible.

Raven5655
5th May 2005, 04:06
Made it through to the final level and managed to enjoy it immensely, but a successful patch will be great. I think my game crashed about nine times altogether. :D :D :D

AlphaVoodoo
5th May 2005, 05:04
a patch would simply be great for that game. let me dream a little bit:

- a better net code or fixing of it
- game crash avoiding
- walk/run mode to switch
- textchat feature
- some graphic updates
- anticheat
- and a lot of other things on the whishlists in all the other threads

just wonderful - perhaps some dreams finally come true :)

Supakilla
5th May 2005, 14:50
sweeet cant wait 4 chat base thing and therre better be one :p

Raven5655
5th May 2005, 15:09
How about walk/run/run like Hell?
Why I'm moving at the same speed at the end of the game when the building is collapsing is a mystery to me. :rolleyes:

DXman
7th May 2005, 02:22
the only thing i want them to fix is the crashing.

Aris666
7th May 2005, 04:22
the only thing i want them to fix is the crashing.
the only thing i want them to fix is the netcode :)

Supakilla
7th May 2005, 15:23
in all time i had project never once have i had a crash

maybe im special who knows

jEj
7th May 2005, 15:50
Maybe they could fix both.

AlphaVoodoo
7th May 2005, 17:22
another good thing to add:

a spectator mode for the multiplayer

I would love to spectate some sessions on the server because from the menu the preview with this fixed camera positions is a good idea vor the menu background but nothing to enjoz the fun of a round on a server when interesting people are playing - would be great to see how they act while playing.

geekoid
8th May 2005, 05:49
Mike, or another mod:

Can you sticky this and update it as more info comes in please?

Mirick
9th May 2005, 15:09
Both times I've run this game I've crashed in the second "room" you get to at the very beginning of the game (the place just after the Save Room, where you first meet small mechs). Here's hoping this is fixed in the upcoming patch, as crashing two times in two tries isn't exactly a good start in a new game. ;)

DXman
13th May 2005, 01:37
patch coming any time soon? i've laid off PS for weeks now. still havent even past the first mission.

Raven5655
13th May 2005, 02:07
Not sure why, but the game is crashing even more often on the second time through it.

Now that I've run through Battlefield Vietnam a few times, I've reloaded Project: Snowblind and am really ready for that patch. :confused:

Flinstone
13th May 2005, 08:39
Hey guys
First time i ever write on this forum.
It is a good thing that finnaly a patch will be released soon and fix crashing problmes and all the other bugs of the game.At least i hope they will be fixed with this patch
Also i want to tell to some of the guys that it is lame to cheat in a multiplayer game.It would be great if we could start dedicated servers because with them the game will be much more played online . Also after you will release the patch ( i hope Soon) you should release a map editor program.Thx mike_g for the good news :D
Eidos do something please about cheaters like Aris666.
Can't you remove them from the stats?
If you could add a map voting system to chose the map we would like it would be great.

Aris666
13th May 2005, 09:54
Eidos do something please about cheaters like Aris666.
Can't you remove them from the stats?

Hey i am no cheater :mad: if you want to see a real CHEATER, go play with Lupescu, hes a regular player in snowblind, that *** can jump 10 feet high, he can warp/float all over the place and can kill you easily without a fight.

HOW CAN YOU PROVE THAT I AM A CHEATER??? DO YOU HAVE ANY EVIDENCE??? ITS ALL SKILLS LAME NOOB :p i hate noobs like you, when they played with a guy that is way better than thier noob butt they accuse them of cheating cuz they always get OWNED, just learn to play the damn game :p

[eN]Splítter
13th May 2005, 15:34
I've only seen one actual cheater in this game and even that could have been down to him having a 4.8kbps connection. In all reality, if you get owned by someone in this game by a shot that you think is impossible, you just need some more practise ;)

Raven5655
27th May 2005, 21:41
...somewhere else, please. Incidentally, still no patch... Don't know what Eidos/Crystal Dynamics are thinking. I just bought the latest Splinter Cell, will be getting Area 51 next month, and just received Act of War: Direct Action. Pretty soon, I'm not going to care if there is a patch and that's a shame. :confused:

DXman
29th May 2005, 22:42
...somewhere else, please. Incidentally, still no patch... Don't know what Eidos/Crystal Dynamics are thinking. I just bought the latest Splinter Cell, will be getting Area 51 next month, and just received Act of War: Direct Action. Pretty soon, I'm not going to care if there is a patch and that's a shame. :confused:

isnt Crystal Dynamics working on another game right now? it's been a long time since PS has been released and still no patch. i don't think a patch will ever be released. i really regret buying this game. I uninstalled it a few weeks ago.

i don't think you will want to buy Area 51. just try the singleplayer demo, you'll understand what i mean.

BIOMODDED
30th May 2005, 02:01
isnt Crystal Dynamics working on another game right now? it's been a long time since PS has been released and still no patch. i don't think a patch will ever be released. i really regret buying this game. I uninstalled it a few weeks ago.

i don't think you will want to buy Area 51. just try the singleplayer demo, you'll understand what i mean.

CRAP! I just bought this today after reading the forums and seeing people saying it crashes a lot. While others said they didn't have any crashes. Well, I played the demo about 3 or 4 times with no crashes so thought I would be good. Well, after the 1st lvl in the full version - the part where u 1st acquire your slowtime mod I activate it during a big fight and WHAM.. It crashed!! Crap! Sure hope they get this patched or I just wasted $20+ bucks. It sure seems fun but not with crashes. I'm going to try again.

BTW, you didn't think the fake moon landing in AREA51 was any good? This demo isn't real representative of the full vesion. It didn't even have the aliens in it. I played the xbox demo with the aliens and your squad and its much better. I'm buying it despite what some people think.. Not u necessarily..

EDIT: After a few more hours of play I'm finding this quite enjoyful aside from the occasional crash. Sure is fun hacking bots! Worth the $20 I spent even with a few crashes.

JayJay379
30th May 2005, 04:59
First:
How many times do I have to tell you guys, THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE ANY PATCH !!!! Its all a BIG LIE ...

Second:
Area 51 is an excellent game for anyone who loves the First Person Shooter experience .... I finished the game on my PS2 and loved it ( But I can't wait until the PC version is released ) ... You get to play as a military guy and alien both at the same time, you can interchange at certain points of the game...

Jay :cool:

Mike_B
30th May 2005, 05:40
isnt Crystal Dynamics working on another game right now?

They have multiple teams.

First:
How many times do I have to tell you guys, THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE ANY PATCH !!!! Its all a BIG LIE ...

Yeah I'm sure you have it on good authority..

JayJay379
30th May 2005, 15:04
Yea OK @m, I will just sit here like the rest of the Pups, with my tail between my legs, While we are all waiting for this so-called Patch, thats supposedly in the works
... In the works my Ass ....

Aris666
30th May 2005, 19:10
I think itll take forever for the patch to come out just like DUKE NUKEM FOREVER :eek: :D

Flinstone
1st Jun 2005, 14:20
:cool: Hey if you really are working on a patch for project snowblind you must know when it will be released .Why don't you guys tell us a release date.You only say it will be released soon
What does "soon" meen for you?
Can't you tell as nothing true ? :mad:
I play this game in hope that a patch will be released and fix the many problems that we all have.
It's a good game but a patch will make the game even better.I hope i didn't made a mistake when i bought
Snowblind.
If you are a serious company you should give the precise date of the patch release or say that there will be no patch for this game.

BIOMODDED
2nd Jun 2005, 09:23
While I agree a patch would be nice I've still been enjoying this game a lot. I think I have about 1 or 2 lvls left in the SP campaign. I've probably crashed about 4 or 5 times. The only reason this hasn't bothered me too much is because the load times are hella fast! But, when I went online to play and crashed... Well, that's just damn annoying! :mad: :p

Considering I only paid $20 I'm not that pissed. Sure would be nice to have a patch thou.

JayJay379
2nd Jun 2005, 13:18
I Truely, Honestly Believe, with every fiber of my being, that there is not going to be any patch released for Project:Snowlind ...

If you guys can prove me wrong and release this "So Called" Patch, that is suppossedly in the works ... I will make a public apology to the admin guys who have been getting their balls broken ...

Raven5655
2nd Jun 2005, 19:14
As the weeks pass, this soon to be released patch becomes more and more of a farce. Please, either tell us there is one in the works and what it does, or just admit that there is no patch, and won't ever be one.
Not too much to ask, is it?

geekoid
3rd Jun 2005, 03:37
@m:

Not a particularly professional response from a super moderator of these boards. A large percentage of Snowblind purchasers (including myself) still cannot play this game because of the patch issues. That's not good, but sarcastic comments will not endear these unhappy customers to you at all.

We have been told that the patch was under development throughout May, but have heard nothing else since the beginning of the month, and I must agree that this appears rather inconsiderate of Eidos/CD since they have not released ANY official comment or news release about what's happening.

I, like many of the unsatisfied customers, have been patient thus far. But to be honest, waiting 3 months for a patch to fix such a massive problem with no information makes us feel like it will never come. I have considered returning Snowblind and getting a refund, but I decided I'd wait it out.

I truly hope that we will not be left in the cold by Eidos/CD, since that's just not fair. JayJay379 has a point as we have no reason to believe there will ever be a patch except for an unofficial mod message saying that it's being worked on.

I think if Eidos/CD make the effort to actually speak to their customers, we'd all be much happier since the credibility of the patch situation would be strengthened. They already have our money, but it remains to be seen whether that means anything to them.

They have multiple teams.
Yeah I'm sure you have it on good authority..

Grizzly
5th Jun 2005, 14:40
It would seem that the latest trend is to sell software, be it applications or games, when they should be just beta's. Unless all the bugs are fixed, why do the companies just want to extract more and more money from people without giving them any satistaction? Don't the companies realize they are just losing business this way? This will be the last time I spend money on an EIDOS game...... :mad:

BIOMODDED
6th Jun 2005, 00:21
I used the P4 Fix posted on this board and it fixed my crashing problem so I'm happy now! Great game for $20 albeit a little short. Fun online also.

geekoid
6th Jun 2005, 03:14
I used the P4 Fix posted on this board and it fixed my crashing problem so I'm happy now! Great game for $20 albeit a little short. Fun online also.

Biomodded: Can you send us a link to the post containing the fix please?

If it's the simple fix, I believe I tried that with no improvement.

quietman
6th Jun 2005, 21:09
they worked on patch may4 it's now 6/6 every time I die it crashes restart game at that level. in readme it says load patch befor playing game but there is no patch. did thay know about the crashes before they released it?

Aris666
6th Jun 2005, 23:46
did thay know about the crashes before they released it?
Yeh they know it but they want ppls money so bad thats why they released it too early and full of bugs.

rogman69
7th Jun 2005, 14:34
may has come and gone, where's the patch?

geekoid
8th Jun 2005, 06:33
Folks,

Check out this thread for a possible fix, along with the program, setaffin.exe, that will help to do this without running the task manager.

Possible Fix (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=51307) :D

EDIT: This worked for me. I can now play the game without crashes, so far. I'm now upto level 5. I'll post more if any errors occur.

BIOMODDED
11th Jun 2005, 11:07
Folks,

Check out this thread for a possible fix, along with the program, setaffin.exe, that will help to do this without running the task manager.

Possible Fix (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=51307) :D

EDIT: This worked for me. I can now play the game without crashes, so far. I'm now upto level 5. I'll post more if any errors occur.

Nice, I'll have to try the setaffin fix program out.. I'm most impressed with this guys find!

geekoid
11th Jun 2005, 11:16
Nice, I'll have to try the setaffin fix program out.. I'm most impressed with this guys find!

I was rather impressed to find it too. It is only a few lines of C code but it works sweetly. Could be used for lots of other stuff as well, like folding @ home etc.

SCochrane
13th Jun 2005, 01:39
I'm happy those with an Intel P4 (HT) system are now able to play the game because of my suggestion, although i've seen people with amd's with the same problem so this game definitely needs a patch regardless of cheap work-arounds. :mad:

geekoid
16th Jun 2005, 03:37
I'm happy those with an Intel P4 (HT) system are now able to play the game because of my suggestion, although i've seen people with amd's with the same problem so this game definitely needs a patch regardless of cheap work-arounds. :mad:

Yep, I suspect the AMD problem is identical to the Intel one since AMD processors have an almost identical function, also called HT.

Anyway, thanks for your fantastic suggestion. I hope Eidos get the finger out and give us a patch.

mikester
16th Jun 2005, 15:49
Workaround:
I have a P4 (single CPU) with 512 and a Radeon 9700 Pro and have the latest Catalyst.
I was experiencing crashes at intervals of 5 to 10 minutes.
I experimented with changing the Process Priority to high after game launch and this upped play time to around 25 minutes between crashes.
I then experimented with various video setup settings. Taking the defaults and unchecking all of the Advanced Options appears to have stabilized the game. Although the default Resolution is 640 x 480, the actual display appears to be substantially higher (I run my desktop at 1024 x 768).
Although I am very pleased with my ATI card, this leads me to suspect that the crash issue may be card related.
Hope this helps others who are frustrated with this issue....

vengence
18th Jun 2005, 04:58
i have not crashed once on mp and i use an amd athlond 2500+ and a 3000+mobile on my laptop

geekoid
23rd Jun 2005, 03:27
Well, after using the affinity utility and the suggestions in this thread, I've completed Snowblind. Pretty cool game actually, but as Eidos/CD still seem to not care, I'll be uninstalling it and part exchanging it for another title (such as Battlefield 2, for example) as other publishers actually patch their products on a regular basis.

Okay folks, it's been good to post here with you all. See you around some time.

:rolleyes:

Sil9
18th Jul 2005, 07:45
Great news, people! I've been asked to pass the word that there will be a patch for Project: Snowblind PC. The dev team are going to be working on it diligently throughout the month of May. I cannot give you an exact date when it will be released to you, or what specific issues will be addressed yet, but I can tell you that everything you have pointed out to us has been read and considered, and we will do our best to make the game as enjoyable as possible. Our first priority will be to deal with stability issues.What's the status of the patch, at the moment?

qmatteoq
5th Aug 2005, 16:57
Is there any news about the patch? I've bought the game yesterday with a special offer and i've discovered that with my laptop, equipped with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 and the latest Catalyst (5.7), the game has the known problem of the strange blur and fog after the first tutorial levels.
With the demo, instead, i've never had problems...

richj44
19th Aug 2005, 00:10
Great news, people! I've been asked to pass the word that there will be a patch for Project: Snowblind PC. The dev team are going to be working on it diligently throughout the month of May. I cannot give you an exact date when it will be released to you, or what specific issues will be addressed yet, but I can tell you that everything you have pointed out to us has been read and considered, and we will do our best to make the game as enjoyable as possible. Our first priority will be to deal with stability issues.

Can you please at least give us an update? Is it still being worked on, was it dropped, or what? It is really poor taste to post something like that and then let it hang indefinitely.

Regards,
RJ

qmatteoq
19th Aug 2005, 11:51
I completely agree... Especially for all the people that have paid for a game that they can't play...

Mike_B
19th Aug 2005, 11:54
Hmm I thought I already postes this, but Mike_g does no longer work for Eidos so he can't help out either.

Pooeypants
18th Sep 2005, 14:43
So that's the end of it? No patch at all? Pathetic.

Aris666
20th Sep 2005, 20:11
Their is NO patch. You noobs should get over it.

MattD
21st Sep 2005, 00:21
I have read this thread, and have been working on getting an official announcment about a patch, and was given this to convey to the community.

"After considerable internal review, Eidos has determined that the company will not create a PC patch for Project Snowblind. We at Eidos apologize for the inconvenience that has been caused to any players of the game."

If any of this information changes in the future, I will be sure to inform the community as soon as it is confirmed.

jEj
22nd Sep 2005, 06:00
There will be no further information in the future. This is the last nail in the coffin. I'd say RIP, but I wouldn't mean it.

qmatteoq
23rd Sep 2005, 08:10
It's a shame that Eidos has abbandoned all the people that have bought the game and can't play it... I've wasted my money... like many people here... this is the best way to take people not to buy original games...

golar
23rd Sep 2005, 15:59
I've waited SINCE LAUNCH for this patch so I could actually play it on my PC, and now it's been cancelled? If the developer has released an incomplete game, then it is their responsibility to complete it.

The sad thing is, we have to put up with this crap. Eidos has proven that they are completely ignorant to their fans. What am I supposed to do with my copy of the game now? With all the bugs it's near worthless to sell... I can't take it back for a refund because I've had it for God knows how long... and I can't play it because of this utter incompetence on the part of Eidos.

So, they can just apologise and that's it then? We're supposed to just take that blow?

NbKShadowOps
23rd Sep 2005, 23:14
those of you with a pc version of snow blind should seek legal advice from the citazens advice beurou as they may be able to advise you on who to speak to and what next channel to follow as it is an incomplete game that does not work on pc and the promised patch is not going to go ahead now print the forum statement by Mike_g stating that there will be a patch as evidence! you do have legal rites! the game is falsely advertised which is illegal! it does not meet the criteria specified by the manufacturer.

this is what you should print out!

Originally Posted by mike_g
Great news, people! I've been asked to pass the word that there will be a patch for Project: Snowblind PC. The dev team are going to be working on it diligently throughout the month of May. I cannot give you an exact date when it will be released to you, or what specific issues will be addressed yet, but I can tell you that everything you have pointed out to us has been read and considered, and we will do our best to make the game as enjoyable as possible. Our first priority will be to deal with stability issues.

keep it real and take action

:thumbsup:

pyro256
24th Sep 2005, 14:50
All of you had to expect it. The game has been out for several months and they didn't announce a patch until about half way through. Then they didn't give us any information after that post that mike g made.

S60R
25th Sep 2005, 03:01
Those crashing should also see the thread on the affinity fix. It does stop the crashing. There is apparently a problem with Hyperthreading and the game.

jEj
25th Sep 2005, 03:22
The crashing was always annoying, but I'd have much rather they fixed the lag and many, many bugs in the MP part of the game.

D'artanian
12th Oct 2005, 02:05
Last game I ever friggin buy from Eidos. I will make sure everyone else knows what a stand up company Eidos/CD is as well. Word of mouth/IM is the best advertizing. :(

Sad to see it

Bye all

moktoman
21st Jul 2006, 04:50

Give me your system specs for comparison, if you will,
Because mine has crashed more times than I can remember, and I've tried 3 different video cards, adding memory, and much more, to no avail.
I just want to know what you have that I don't...
Thanks.

rob444
23rd Dec 2006, 16:34
Well I was sure people knew but there is an easy fix to prevent the game from crashing. Your game crashes because you have two processors or hyper threading (from what I've understand), when you start the game, bring up the taskmanager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape) and find the process in the list (Snowblind.SP or something like that) and right click it and choose Set Affinity and uncheck the last processor (CPU 1), press OK.

This has worked 100% for me and I am no longer experiencing any crashes.

TheJoker
16th Feb 2007, 23:24
I actually thought that PS was quite an interesting game
But it was impossible to finish since the game were so unfinished
I got to the las map and the game just kept on crashing

error error and some more errrors,
the truth is what NewHorizon is sayin

FreezemaN
11th May 2007, 06:34
Alter habt ihr probleme ey....
Da sprech ich lieber Deutsch anstatt mir so en englisches Geschwafel anzuhören:p

OldstyleHxC
25th Jul 2007, 14:06
Lmao ... just like 25tolife and many other games , NO PATCHS FOR PC

honestly ...nothing personal but eidos sucks when its about a multiplayer game.

Whatever ..... ;)

Z.Dagger
4th Oct 2007, 17:42

I'm really curious at to what system your running the game on. video card, processor, OS, internet etc.

Z.Dagger
4th Oct 2007, 17:51
Well I was sure people knew but there is an easy fix to prevent the game from crashing. Your game crashes because you have two processors or hyper threading (from what I've understand), when you start the game, bring up the taskmanager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape) and find the process in the list (Snowblind.SP or something like that) and right click it and choose Set Affinity and uncheck the last processor (CPU 1), press OK.

This has worked 100% for me and I am no longer experiencing any crashes.

This should be reposted, this was an easy and awesome fix. I'm going to repost crediting rob of course. THANKS!