PDA

View Full Version : Hungry for some new movies?

sick
3rd May 2005, 20:40
Well, go get them then! (http://imperialglory.tafn.info) :D

fat_man
3rd May 2005, 20:41
thank for that

David
3rd May 2005, 20:43
thats some cool material!

BANANAMAN
3rd May 2005, 20:57
Thank you. :)

jeffdan9
3rd May 2005, 21:00
Whoa, they are amazing. I am difinately buying the game! It really repersents how this game will be the best RTS in a long time.

BANANAMAN
3rd May 2005, 21:41
Imperial Glory is the best and will stay like that for a very long time. WOW! :eek: All three facets are of TOP quality! :eek:

Especialy the naval battles. :) Master & Commander anyone? :)

This is a must have pc game. :)

quantic
3rd May 2005, 22:31
Simply stunning. The shadows of the church and tower cast across that Russian winterscape. Beautiful. This is looking far far superior to the hugely overrated Rome Total War.

Khornish
3rd May 2005, 22:41
Thank you for the movies.

Firstly, What difficulty setting was the AI for each of the two battles?

Secondly, although there are several more nits to pick, I'll just put forth a few questions/comments.

1) AI infantry did not appear to form square or even attempt to do so. I watched the battle several times and only saw the infantry ploy from line back into column.

With the masses of cavalry around, I'm disappointed the AI ignored them and thus died. Even with the artillery firing, the square would have been the right call.

This brings me to wanting other features; the ability to toggle on/off an auto-square function for infantry units. With a the corollary auto-break off function for cavalry who's target formed square prior to the charge contacting, this would be a very nice addition to the tools for the player.

Also, I'd rather the artillery to be more accurate and shoot at a slightly slower
pace. As quickly as the action moves in this game, the artillery appears to lack its proper utility, even when it can fire through friendly units and there is no chance for fratricide.

Yes, this can probably be modded, but then that brings a whole host of multiplayer compatability issues into play.

2) Click drag select, and group orders for ships in the naval battles. Does this function exist? If it does, can ships be ordered into line ahead or line abreast formation?

3) The strategic level movie was nice, but the action was way too fast for me to understand at more than the basic level what was going on. Of course, I can extrapolate what each thing meant, but I'd prefer to not have to do this when considering a purchase.

Which really brings me to the point of wanting Eidos to provide us with a second demo, one that includes a taste of the strategic level of the game. Hell, give me 6 turns to play with, or a mini scenario. They'll sell more copies of the game initially if they do.

And even though I do have my issues with the game, I hope it does well for Eidos.

Too bad Eidos doesn't bother to use this forum as a way to communicate to the player base. It would have been nice to have these movies a month or so ago as an official teaser.

quantic
3rd May 2005, 23:03
By the way I hope you all saw the PAUSE!!!

sick
3rd May 2005, 23:06
1) AI infantry did not appear to form square or even attempt to do so. I watched the battle several times and only saw the infantry ploy from line back into column.

When you configure the battle you can choose to toggle certain formations on and off. I think I toggled it off (and as well gave the enemy less units) as I didn't want whole the world see me losing the battle. :p

2) Click drag select, and group orders for ships in the naval battles. Does this function exist? If it does, can ships be ordered into line ahead or line abreast formation?

You can order a ship to follow another. I haven't explorated this featere much yet, so I can't tell much about it for the moment.

I agree with you about releasing another demo. Featuring the management model gives some problems, but they at least could give you the option to configure the battles yourself, rather than giving you a battle which the units you're going to fight with and against to is already decided for you.

Khornish
3rd May 2005, 23:23
By the way I hope you all saw the PAUSE!!!

We know there's a "pause" button. What has been repeatedly requested is the ability to issue orders to your units while the game is paused..

(type name here)
3rd May 2005, 23:23
Lol, now that's a way to increase your personal image. :D And by the way, for all you people who stride for perfection in games, when imperial glory is released, and something you wanted was left out. Contact your local modder to (hopefully) make all your dreams come true ;) :D

quantic
3rd May 2005, 23:29
I do agree with you though Khornish. Maybe Eidos are too preoccupied with the prospect of being taken over but the Imperial Glory publicity has been a little bit of a mess up to now. Hopefully the reviewers are going to be kind though and the game will get off the ground running.

Judging by these movies I'm more confident than ever that Imperial Glory is a fine fine game. Maybe it doesn't have quite the eye candy appeal of RTW but it looks to have more substance and we could be on the verge of a nice franchise.

Khornish
3rd May 2005, 23:33
When you configure the battle you can choose to toggle certain formations on and off. I think I toggled it off (and as well gave the enemy less units) as I didn't want whole the world see me losing the battle. .

That's what I'd hoped, and one of the reasons I didn't give a general list of new complaints.

However, I still want the auto-square, and auto-break off toggle. :)

I agree with you about releasing another demo. Featuring the management model gives some problems, but they at least could give you the option to configure the battles yourself, rather than giving you a battle which the units you're going to fight with and against to is already decided for you.

If all I get to do is manage stuff for 3-6 turns and maybe fight a single battle based off what I did with managing at the strategic level, this would be a major selling point for me.

Also, selling this game is a big issue to me as I work for a very large software retailer in the US. My thoroughly enjoying the game and my good opinion of it helps me sell it a lot more than if I viewed the game to be mediocre or simply average. Also, a better demo or one with a taste of the major selling points (like a strategic level) are an oft repeated desire of my customers. Additionally, I have several computers at home and my several sons and I would be willing to purchase multiple copies of the game for us to play together...but only if the game truly excels at what it claims to be. I'm not about to waste $200 on copies of a lousy game or one that plays the same over and over again.

Khornish
3rd May 2005, 23:37
Lol, now that's a way to increase your personal image. :D And by the way, for all you people who stride for perfection in games, when imperial glory is released, and something you wanted was left out. Contact your local modder to (hopefully) make all your dreams come true ;) :D

Unless some modder can do some major reprogamming so that the game can be played as a moderator tool for a miniatures campaign, then it's never going to fit my ideal of a perfect game.

Khornish
3rd May 2005, 23:48
Judging by these movies I'm more confident than ever that Imperial Glory is a fine fine game. Maybe it doesn't have quite the eye candy appeal of RTW but it looks to have more substance and we could be on the verge of a nice franchise.

See, my worry is that it's mostly eye candy and light on the historical substance.

Without an open dialog between the developers and the folks who inhabit this forum, it's all speculation based on what little the public has had a chance to see.

I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum that 2 companies will never receive another dollar from me again and I will not recommend their products to anyone either. This decision was based on the unsupported, buggy, and poorly designed games that the developers felt little need to communicate about. They produced glitzy crap, pocketed the money, and moved on. Unfortunately, they have big enough name recognition that far too many people are deluded into spending money on their products over and over again.

If Eidos would officially respond here, with a developers' diary or an official sticky post every month or so (because I doubt we'd get something each week) it would go a long way towards developing positives for their products. And, I'm talking about positives that are needed to induce those less inclinded to spend their money. The desperate gamer and fanboy masses would already buy the game and wouldn't need any convincing.

Bah, I've broken my own forum posting rules... too many posts of too great of length over too short a time. Geez... a result of my great desire that IG be a damn good game and not simply eye candy that dissolves shortly after opening the package.

(type name here)
4th May 2005, 00:12
Well, modding will bring you the closest you'll ever get to perfection my friend. your never going to find the perfect game, your more likely to get transported back in time and seeing the real thing! If worst comes to worst, join the army! Or a war reinactment group or something.

screamingpalm
4th May 2005, 00:47
Thanks for posting the movies. I think this game might be fun, but only short-lived. Unfortunately I am kicking myself for pre-ordering it. Hasnt shown me anything new, and is confirming my fears. Im not asking for the perfect game out of this, I can live with many missing aspects, even though huge missing parts tactically of this period. Skirmishers, for example, were a huge part of the changing battlefield that defined the Napoleonic era compared to the Seven Years War. But if the developers want to use older tactics and call it Napoleonic, they know they will make more money from a Napoleonic game than Seven Years War/American Revolution, which is what it feels like to me. So, anyway...that I can forgive (well understand at least) and maybe the technology isnt there for that yet (and other features I would like). What I absolutely cant deal with, is the casualty issue and it looks like it is not just the demo. It is absolutely retarded IMO and I cant see me enjoying the game for very long just for this reason. Every unit seemingly has the same morale, that of Napoleon's Old Guard, and I'll bet fatigue is still not in yet. I guess I'll just have to hope and pray that Creative Assembly will make a Napoleonic game someday.....

EDIT: I hope with the naval battles you can auto-simulate, cause Im already bored with it. :p

Khornish
4th May 2005, 01:08
Well, modding will bring you the closest you'll ever get to perfection my friend. your never going to find the perfect game, your more likely to get transported back in time and seeing the real thing! .

I can get something perfect enough for me, if a developer would listen to his customers more than his publisher.

If worst comes to worst, join the army! Or a war reinactment group or something.

8 years in the USMC and 3 years with A Co., 5th NY Regt. (ACW) ... so, been there, done that.

Khornish
4th May 2005, 01:16
Every unit seemingly has the same morale, that of Napoleon's Old Guard, and I'll bet fatigue is still not in yet.

I was hoping one of the TAFN people would come out and say if the release version they have of the preview was different than the demo in this regard.

Although I realize they are probably very limited on what they are allowed to talk about or say, it's still something I'd like to know.

According to the FAQ, there's a morale system. But if that system is active in the demo, then it's a mighty broken one.

BANANAMAN
4th May 2005, 10:02
I think a second demo would be reasonable, but a demo with its turn base strategy board that gives you 6 turns so you can play battles you choose? :eek: If so then people wont need to buy Imperial Glory, because they already would have the mini version of it.

If I were Pyro Studios & Eidos I would have give you a second demo with just one RTS battle.

And I would have give no playable turn base strategy board.

Khornish
4th May 2005, 19:49
I think a second demo would be reasonable, but a demo with its turn base strategy board that gives you 6 turns so you can play battles you choose? :eek: If so then people wont need to buy Imperial Glory, because they already would have the mini version of it.

That has long been an argument in the industry, too much in the demo means less sales.

Frankly, that's a fairly weak argument.

A few strategic turns doesn't equal a mini game, especially if the various choices at the strategic level are limited to a few which all would eventually lead to a single battle.

For example, give me a six turn demo at the strategy level. Allow me to build two or three of the several available buildings in the tech tree. Then let me construct a few units from those buildings. Now, on the last turn or two of the 6 turns, let me combine the few units I built with an army and army commander that were pre-set in the demo. Once combined, let me now attack one of 2 adjacent regions where the enemy is.

When I click on the various tabs that don't deal with trade routes, or economics, let me select whatever is there in order to get a small text blurb about it and be shown the graphical representation of what my choices would result in. Once this is done, don't let me save those actions, so they then can't have an effect on the 6 turn demo.

As it is I don't need to buy IG. I can spend my money on something else, same choice as everyone.

However, one of the major selling points of IG is the strategic level game. Even if people aren't too happy with the tactical level, like myself and a host of others, we might be convinced to purchase the game if the strategic level offered enough to overcome our objections to the tactical level.

The purpose of the demo isn't to reward the raving fans as Eidos is already guaranteed your purchase.

The demo is to convince others that the game is worth buying.

Some people are convinced as a result of the demo Eidos released.

Some still are not.

From the commentary in these forums it would appear that some of these people have significant objections to the tactical level of the game and for the most part have decided to not make a purchase. However, should they have been able to interact with the strategic level of the game, it's quite possible they would buy the game for that alone.

Sure, some may not like the strategic level either. Yet, unless a company wants to not earn as much money as it can, then it has an obligation to its owners to make the best effort possible. I submit that a demo, which included a small taste of how the strategic level worked, would better qualify for the "best effort possible" than the demo Eidos released.

As I've stated elsewhere, I'm not going to buy IG unless the strategic level far outshines the rest of the game. I can already play a vast number of tactical or RTS multiplayer games that I own, there's no need for me to buy another one of those. I'm far from the only one who feels the same way. Quite a few of my own customers have made the same or similar comments to me while we discussed upcoming releases.

I'd like to sell a lot of copies of this game out of my store, but I am not going to lie to my customers to do it.

As it is, it's far too late for Eidos to fix this as the demo has been out for a few weeks and we're only a few weeks away from game release.

It's a shame really, I've been waiting for this particular game for over a year.

BANANAMAN
4th May 2005, 20:36
Sorry Khornish, but I do not agree with you. A demo is to give you a taste of a pc game not a great piece of it. Pyro Studios & Eidos is giving you a finger but you want their whole arm.

Meaning, a playable turn base strategy board of 6 turn with RTS battle mode is a mini version of Imperial Glory that makes the full version of Imperial Glory unnecessary to buy.

But like most fans & gamers here I want Pyro Studios to keep on existing as a pc game developer by not going into your foolish proposal of releasing a free mini version of Imperial Glory.

And realy I would like to know other gamers their opinions also on this subject, if possible.

(type name here)
4th May 2005, 21:02
I heartly agree with that statement

Khornish
4th May 2005, 23:29
Sorry Khornish, but I do not agree with you. A demo is to give you a taste of a pc game not a great piece of it. Pyro Studios & Eidos is giving you a finger but you want their whole arm..

A limited version of the strategy game is not the whole game, or even close to it. Also, I said previously, 3-6 turns ( 6 being the absolutely max).Hell, a two turn demo would be good if a building was in place and a unit could then be made from it.

It's not rocket science to limit the strategy portion in order to give a taste of it without giving away the cow.

Screenshots of the strategy portion isn't a taste of the game. To follow along with the metaphor, it's like looking at a plate of food but not being able to touch it, smell it, or taste it.

Meaning, a playable turn base strategy board of 6 turn with RTS battle mode is a mini version of Imperial Glory that makes the full version of Imperial Glory unnecessary to buy.

Not if, overall, the majority of functions weren't available. You're not going to play multiplayer. you're not going to do much more than have a single battle with maybe one or two units you created. You're not going to do anything with the economics or diplomacy, at least nothing that will last beyond closing the window.

There are enough, almost fully functional demos that have been released over the years, but the games do sell quite well. Even now there are several good quality demos available for upcoming games, which provide a very good idea of what the scope of the games are about. Still the demo's are limited in a way the full game is desired by most who play it (judging from the various feedback on their forums).

But like most fans & gamers here I want Pyro Studios to keep on existing as a pc game developer by not going into your foolish proposal of releasing a free mini version of Imperial Glory...

Think outside the box, for a brief moment. Don't assume that those of us who aren't sold on the game as presented in the demo want IG or Eidos to fail. Don't assume a limited version of the strategy game couldn't be presented in such a way to give potential buyers a real taste, resulting in more customers for Eidos. Which translates into more sales and a longer life for the game and developer.

Really, using your argument as a basis, one could argue that people would never have to buy a game again, demos, as they currently exist would be exciting enough for enough people that buying the game wouldn't be necessary. However, in the big picture, this just isn't the case.

BANANAMAN
4th May 2005, 23:36
Well, you have your arguments and I have mine. And it certainly would be too much of a risk for Pyro Studios & Eidos to release such a mini version of Imperial Glory as a second demo.

The final saying is with Pyro Studios & Eidos themselves, of course.

Khornish
4th May 2005, 23:45
Well, you have your arguments and I have mine. And it certainly would be too much of a risk for Pyro Studios & Eidos to release such a mini version of Imperial Glory as a second demo.

The final saying is with Pyro Studios & Eidos themselves, of course.

You're still not comprehending the fact that it doesn't have to be a mini version of the full game. Nor did I ask for a fully functional 3-6 turn demo. Limited functions for the strategic and tactical levels of the game, that's it.

And the final say is with those who decide to buy or not to buy the game. Once the full game releases it will succeed or fail based on sales alone.