PDA

View Full Version : For the Grognards among us...

Khornish
3rd May 2005, 09:25
http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/NapoleonicWars/features.asp

For a game without needing to twitch and jerk, or to memorize hotkeys. Or for when you want to not play a game against a whiney kid who has trouble thinking coherently for more than 30 seconds at a time.

But, alas, all to many "gamers" have little patience and live on a diet of "eye candy".

Czar
3rd May 2005, 12:50
BAH!

That web page took ages to load...

So I played some Mechwarrior while I waited... but I got bored with that so I play teh Doom 3 & i+ were wicked...

And the page load and the graphics were dum so how do I mod tis game m8?
I+ i$ l4me! :( and....

Oh oh, it's catching.

(Thanks for the link BTW :cool: )

saddletank
3rd May 2005, 17:00
"Battles are resolved by players both picking a strategy and fighting a series of rounds in an attempt to break the enemy". Seems this is a pure map game with battles fought in an abstract way. No Real Time 3D battles here then.

Next!

(page loaded instantly for me Czar, you must have some blockage at your ISP or on one of the hops to your server)

Khornish
3rd May 2005, 18:37
" No Real Time 3D battles here then.

Yes, exactly, as it is a strategy game.

It is also a near 100% faithful rendition of the ultimate Napoleonic boardgame.

Thus, the thread title...

screamingpalm
3rd May 2005, 23:38
Ah the old Avalon Hill games, they were great! Looks like it may be good to use as a campaign game. We used to use Napoleon in Europe (board game) and fight the battles out with miniatures. Would be cool if you could use this game for the overall multiplayer campaign, and then fight out the battles on IG. Well, if the casualties werent so unrealistic in IG that is.

Khornish
3rd May 2005, 23:58
Ah the old Avalon Hill games, they were great! Looks like it may be good to use as a campaign game. We used to use Napoleon in Europe (board game) and fight the battles out with miniatures. Would be cool if you could use this game for the overall multiplayer campaign, and then fight out the battles on IG. Well, if the casualties werent so unrealistic in IG that is.

It was the first game by ADG. I think AH picked it up later to publish it and pocket most of the hard earned profits. It appears that the long dead AH still has an etherial hand ready to nix any potential reprinting of the game.

Yeah, I own NIE, unfortunately it's out of print now.

I'd like to see IG modded to where the battles are resolved automatically, but the results could be modified via an editor. Each infantry "unit" in IG could be a infantry regiment or brigade, etc.

Too bad I've probably pissed off enough people here that a potentially friendly developer would /ignore me in this regard.

Such is life...

Lindkvist
4th May 2005, 08:06
I remember reading on the matrix forum some time ago that you actualy could import results into that game.

In other words you can use your favorite tactical game to resolve the battles. ;)

/Lars L.

saddletank
5th May 2005, 11:48
Yes, exactly, as it is a strategy game.

Thus, the thread title...

I'm not being aggressive or argumentative here Khornish but your thread title gave no hint this was just a strategy game, and the mention of 'Grognards' brings to mind the other RTS being developed by the French team linked to elsewhere. Plus this is the IG board so anyone suggestiing other games is going to be suggesting RTS games, is my thinking.

So don't attack me for pointing out to other board members that the game you are giving the link to isn't an RTS.

Khornish
5th May 2005, 17:31
I'm not being aggressive or argumentative here Khornish but your thread title gave no hint this was just a strategy game, and the mention of 'Grognards' brings to mind the other RTS being developed by the French team linked to elsewhere. Plus this is the IG board so anyone suggestiing other games is going to be suggesting RTS games, is my thinking.

So don't attack me for pointing out to other board members that the game you are giving the link to isn't an RTS.

No worries, mate. I don't attack people in forums, I prefer to do that face to face. :p

The term "grognards" is well known to those who study the history surrounding the Napoleonic Wars. Which also includes the majority of those individuals who wargame the period with miniatures or boardgames or both. In the modern usage,within the context of wargaming, a "grognard" is self aware that this identifier applies to themselves.

So, in effect, it was the same as saying "to those old schoolers among us."

"Les Grognards" is a working title, and the French developer has concerns it will work well as the official title in the English speaking market. I hope he keeps the name, but I wasn't specifically referring to it in the thread title. If I were, I'd have linked it instead of linking EiA.

BTW, Les Grognards is not an RTS game. It is a tactical battles game with elements of "Grand Tactics" and some other bits as well.