PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Cyrenaica is Four Feathers?

BANANAMAN
2nd May 2005, 15:09
Hi there guys,

Now, how come that the battle of Cyrenaica reminds me a lot of the movie Four Feathers?

http://www.mov3.com/trailers/four_feathers/four_feathers.mov

Zeus Commander
2nd May 2005, 16:12
Thats cause its in the desert :cool:

BANANAMAN
2nd May 2005, 16:15
And because of the 'Union Jack' British Flag and the red uniforms and the square formation. :)

BANANAMAN
2nd May 2005, 16:17
Did I leave something out? :D

The Penitant Man
2nd May 2005, 18:12
Did I leave something out? :D

No. I think by pointing out that a film about the British army fighting in the desert has some similarities to a game about the British army fighting in the desert, you have covered all bases.

Next in Bananaman's Amazing Similarities Series: Has anyone noticed that Medal of Honor's D Day landing level is a bit like the opening of Saving Private Ryan?

and

Somebody call the NFL's lawyers. I think the makers of Madden 2005 may have copied them just a bit.

BANANAMAN
2nd May 2005, 18:36
No. I think by pointing out that a film about the British army fighting in the desert has some similarities to a game about the British army fighting in the desert, you have covered all bases.

Next in Bananaman's Amazing Similarities Series: Has anyone noticed that Medal of Honor's D Day landing level is a bit like the opening of Saving Private Ryan?

and

Somebody call the NFL's lawyers. I think the makers of Madden 2005 may have copied them just a bit.

You are being sarcastic are'nt you? Before you're about to ruin this thread I suggest you take your medication to calm you down some bit.

mob
2nd May 2005, 18:41
seems a poor enough movie might be ok at best damit why were my sig rights taken away i did nothing

http://www.ww2gclan.com/images/p3ned/Kublai%20Khan..jpg

psycduty
2nd May 2005, 18:45
Four feathers = good film!
Apart from the fact thats its about....60/70 years later.... :D also the bolt action rifles are a bit odd, i mean if we had them during the napoleonic wars, well we woulda pwned EVERYONE not just Napoleon! ;)
Also we were fighting against the Mardhi and 'fuzzy wuzzy' during the 'four feathers' aswell lol.

BANANAMAN
2nd May 2005, 18:49
Well, it's no AAA movie like Gladiator or Master & Commander, but it certainly shows the mentality and attitude of those times on the subject of honor, country & glory: things which are represented by Imperial Glory but in pc game form. :)

pawnsacrifice
2nd May 2005, 19:07
The Four Feathers movie was excellent. Its based on a British army advancing into the Sudan to help crush Islamic Rebels. Cyrenaica is in present day Libya so much farther north. Not being anal just adding useful information.

BANANAMAN
2nd May 2005, 20:21
The Four Feathers movie was excellent. Its based on a British army advancing into the Sudan to help crush Islamic Rebels. Cyrenaica is in present day Libya so much farther north. Not being anal just adding useful information.

I know I know, I can see the difference between being sarcastic and being helpfull and you pawnsacrifice are being helpfull. Very helpfull, because I didnt know Cyrenaica is the old geographic name for Lybia.

I only wish they could have made more movies like Zulu or Four Feathers or something like that.

saddletank
3rd May 2005, 17:08
Movies of Imperialist Brits kicking natives to hell and back went a bit out of fashion (and good taste) about 30 years ago my friend.

Imagine the uproar in the US if Spielberg did a movie of the massacre at Wounded Knee and portrayed it as though it was A Really Good Idea?

BANANAMAN
3rd May 2005, 18:42
Movies of Imperialist Brits kicking natives to hell and back went a bit out of fashion (and good taste) about 30 years ago my friend.

Imagine the uproar in the US if Spielberg did a movie of the massacre at Wounded Knee and portrayed it as though it was A Really Good Idea?

Yes, but now and then a director/producer re-discovers the attractiveness of such movies. And because the British tried to colonize parts of the world and keep it that way with a minimum of troops their arses got kicked as hard as they were kicking native peoples around.

And by the way I think that the public wont mind a movie on U.S. army versus native Northern-American indians because you had some native Northern-American indians that realy kicked their arses, such as Geronimo.

But the attractiveness does not lie in who wins the battle but about the old fashion massive Napoleonic style of fighting which requires the 'heroic' mentality of honor, country & glory. That's what makes people go see movies like these and that's what makes us buy pc games like Imperial Glory. If you think it's political, it's not: it's entertainment (using history as its basics).

The Penitant Man
3rd May 2005, 21:15
You are being sarcastic are'nt you? Before you're about to ruin this thread I suggest you take your medication to calm you down some bit.

I shouldn't worry. I don't think a thread this insightful and original can possibly be ruined by a bit of sarcasm.

BANANAMAN
3rd May 2005, 21:58
I shouldn't worry. I don't think a thread this insightful and original can possibly be ruined by a bit of sarcasm.

Thanx, very kind of you.