PDA

View Full Version : Some tactical/aesthetic concerns.

subhuman31
30th Apr 2005, 12:35
Right, as i only really know anything about the British, these concerns are mainly about them, but there are some general points as well.

1) After playing the demo, there appears to be the same problem here as in many of this type of game. This problem is of formations being attacked and broken by any units. Some prime examples of this from the demo are a) cavalry being forced to retreat from a line formation or column formation of troops. b) troops garrisoned in a building being wiped out by infantry unsupported by cannon. c) cavalry rushing a square and surviving. These tactical formations should require you to have to use the correct tactics to defeat them rather than just being able to send a mass of troops at them.

2) Riflemen! Supposed to have a long range (lethal at a hundred yards) and be able to deploy as skirmishers, and rapidly retreating to the lines when threatened. None of this can be seen from the demo, and they act like just another line infantry unit!!! Also, they should be GREEN jackets. We've got flags, so we know they're a British unit. Haven't they read Sharpe!

3) Cannon. In the demo, you cannot switch from ball shot to canister. This makes them far less useful at close range.

4) No company volley fire. The way the British defeated Napoleons columns was with rolling volley fire, one company after another, so that there was continuous fire raining onto the advancing troops. In the demo, all units fired at the same time.

I'm sure many of these points have been mentioned before, but i thought i'd have a rant!! Hopefully some of these issues will be sorted in the full release. Still looking forward to the game though!

PS Mentioned before, but why do my troops move when attacked. I want to force them to stand ground until the last minute so i have a full unbroken line! Wellington wouldn't stand for it, i tell ya!!

[BlackBirdy]
30th Apr 2005, 13:16
Welcome and thanks for your post

2) Riflemen! Supposed to have a long range (lethal at a hundred yards) and be able to deploy as skirmishers, and rapidly retreating to the lines when threatened. None of this can be seen from the demo, and they act like just another line infantry unit!!!
Indeed, although they have a better range-attack and move slightly faster than other infantries, Riflemen cannot be used as skirmishers. The time their formation rotates to be perfectly aligned to the target, they lose their advantages and before being able to shoot, they are in the range attack of their enemy.

screamingpalm
30th Apr 2005, 13:36
Right, as i only really know anything about the British, these concerns are mainly about them, but there are some general points as well.

1) After playing the demo, there appears to be the same problem here as in many of this type of game. This problem is of formations being attacked and broken by any units. Some prime examples of this from the demo are a) cavalry being forced to retreat from a line formation or column formation of troops. b) troops garrisoned in a building being wiped out by infantry unsupported by cannon. c) cavalry rushing a square and surviving. These tactical formations should require you to have to use the correct tactics to defeat them rather than just being able to send a mass of troops at them.

2) Riflemen! Supposed to have a long range (lethal at a hundred yards) and be able to deploy as skirmishers, and rapidly retreating to the lines when threatened. None of this can be seen from the demo, and they act like just another line infantry unit!!! Also, they should be GREEN jackets. We've got flags, so we know they're a British unit. Haven't they read Sharpe!

3) Cannon. In the demo, you cannot switch from ball shot to canister. This makes them far less useful at close range.

4) No company volley fire. The way the British defeated Napoleons columns was with rolling volley fire, one company after another, so that there was continuous fire raining onto the advancing troops. In the demo, all units fired at the same time.

I'm sure many of these points have been mentioned before, but i thought i'd have a rant!! Hopefully some of these issues will be sorted in the full release. Still looking forward to the game though!

PS Mentioned before, but why do my troops move when attacked. I want to force them to stand ground until the last minute so i have a full unbroken line! Wellington wouldn't stand for it, i tell ya!!

Hi! I agree with most of your points:
1) I halfway agree with you on this except: a) there were instances where a fresh unit in line formation, firing their first volley of a battle could easily cause heavy causalties and stand against a cav charge. Depending upon the quality of infantry and attacking cavalry. However, I doubt this is displayed properly by the game engine as there is no decent morale system as of yet. b) agreed... c) same as a above. Cavalry can break a fatigued/shaken square, again depends on quality/morale of troops, but unlikely done right in IG.

2) absolulety right. Especially w/out skirmish formation they should at least give them range. Green jackets are being worked on ;) .

3)agreed

4)absolutely. They also fired a volley before a charge.