PDA

View Full Version : Can you ram your ship into the enemy ship in Imperial Glory?

BANANAMAN
30th Apr 2005, 11:34
Well? Can you?

fat_man
30th Apr 2005, 14:48
yes but it would hurt your ship and thers

Antaeus
30th Apr 2005, 15:47
Generally when two ships collide it is either an accident or for the sole purpose of grappling to the other ship and boarding it, in an attempt to capture it.

BANANAMAN
30th Apr 2005, 21:29
Ramming the enemy ship with your ship is only when you know you are going to loose the sea-battle. It's better to call it an even score at the end of the day than to loose and letting the winner get away with the price. :cool:

Zeus Commander
2nd May 2005, 05:00
I cant really imagine this ever happening in real life unless it was some expert commander who could really inspire his men enough to take action like that as a last resort.

fat_man
2nd May 2005, 23:49
well what about the triremmes of ancient greerce

Lt.Phoenix
3rd May 2005, 04:17
IMO that was different. Almost all they could do was ram, and that's what they were meant for. These ships are meant for shooting cannons into other ships.

BANANAMAN
3rd May 2005, 11:51
Yes, a ship ramming into another ship in Napoleonic times is weird indeed, but I was only wondering if I can use this (ramming) tactic as a last resort in Imperial Glory's naval battle.

GenFerriman
3rd May 2005, 11:55
To be honest i would rather retreat, regroup/reinforce then attack again than ram and destroy both ships in 1 go. But then again that depends on the objective and what they will lose and what i will gain.

Under my command you will Live! Conquer! and be happy in Peace! :D :confused:

BANANAMAN
3rd May 2005, 12:07
The ramming (last resort) tactic only makes sense when you have a small ship versus a big enemy ship. The enemy would then have paid a bigger price of loosing a big ship in comparison to the player who just lost a cheap small ship.

Yorkie
3rd May 2005, 14:41
The only way ramming would be of any effect would be if you could make your "disposable" ship into a fire ship .. It was done and proved to be a battle winning tactic if you were or were not outnumbered :)

BANANAMAN
3rd May 2005, 16:05
The only way ramming would be of any effect would be if you could make your "disposable" ship into a fire ship .. It was done and proved to be a battle winning tactic if you were or were not outnumbered :)

I dont think Pyro Studios has made it possible to turn your ship into a fire ship, that's why I'm interested if you can use ships in Imperial Glory to ram enemy ships as a last resort tactic.

saddletank
3rd May 2005, 16:53
The ramming (last resort) tactic only makes sense when you have a small ship versus a big enemy ship. The enemy would then have paid a bigger price of loosing a big ship in comparison to the player who just lost a cheap small ship.

If there was any kind of sensible physics engine in the naval side of the game(*) then ramming a frigate into a SoL would only result in the sinking or severe damage to the frigate. A SoL's thick wooden sides would withstand the impetus of a collision with a thinner walled frigate much better than the frigate would survive contact with a SoL.

But the ships would generally be moving very slowly in battle, not much more than walking pace and a skilfully handled ship that wanted to avoid a ramming move could usually do so, and once the ships came to contact they would often halt with rigging entangled rather than actually smash hulls together.

(*) which I doubt, having seen how realistic the land combat is :(

Sotos
3rd May 2005, 22:39
well what about the triremmes of ancient greerce

Not all Trimeres in Ancient Greece had that ability (or Egyptian or Roman)

They were special modified triremmes with a special "ship nose" (i do not know the exact word in English) that were made especially for doing damage with Ramming

And yes i am a Greek that's why i know it

Ramming still will be cool with Imperial Glory :)
Too bad for Rome Total War that has no real Naval Battles

Yorkie
5th May 2005, 13:48
I dont think Pyro Studios has made it possible to turn your ship into a fire ship, that's why I'm interested if you can use ships in Imperial Glory to ram enemy ships as a last resort tactic.

aye i hear whta ya saying fella , i was just pointing out how it would be more effective .. Besides as far as im aware IG is more forcused on the land warfare and management than seawarfare .. IMHO i think pyro added the seawarefare part "abit basic" as it is just to get the felling you can "control" everything you build and every battle if you so wish to..

In Total war you only could use auto-calc for sea battle were as in IG you can see the wind in your sails and blow the frogs outta the sea :)

Not offence ment regarding the french .. I dont know what they called the british during the wars ;)