PDA

View Full Version : What unit would you use mostly and explain a tactic to go along with the unit?

fat_man
24th Apr 2005, 23:20
I would take my cavalry and charge and when i got their attention i would turn my horses around and lead the enemy units persueing me back to my lines, were my other units would be waiting then BOOOM!!!

psycduty
25th Apr 2005, 07:10
Infantry and cavalry are neck and neck at the moment, to be honest i think infantry are the best, as they can withstand a charge from heavy cavalry, they can soak up punishment from artillery and still keep coming at you lol :D

Villaret-Joyeuse
25th Apr 2005, 12:41
I really wanted to select "Uniformless Stick Figures" but I could not find the option. :D

Gorasonas
25th Apr 2005, 12:45
the combination of course, artillary is nothing without support
and without artillary in the back infantry and cav will not stand for long

fat_man
25th Apr 2005, 12:48
the combination of course, artillary is nothing without support
and without artillary in the back infantry and cav will not stand for long

ok but in this combination which is the monst valuable?

Villaret-Joyeuse
25th Apr 2005, 13:18
Well so far in this game-

Artillery - Without autofire or grapeshot, the artillery is less powerful and vulnerable.

Cavalry - The speed with which the enemy can square and the 100% possibilty of squaring, causes the Cavalry to be less useful. Only for killing artillery.

Sveland
26th Apr 2005, 21:30
Artillary, that's what made Napoleon famous and enabled him to win just about every battle.

Zeus Commander
26th Apr 2005, 22:30
As history shows, the most dangerous and fearsome type of war fare to fight is defensive warfare. If you can find a steep hill somewhere, entrench it with plenty of good artillary and it will be devestating to an enemy advance.

In the Napoleonic times did they have grapeshots, like shratenal and canister fire.

***ALSO*** IN IMPERIAL GLORY FINAL VERSION WILL YOU AND UR OPPONENT BE ABLE TO MOVE YOUR CAMERA ANYWHERE ON THE BATTLEFIELD OR WILL YOU BE RESTRICTED TO THE LINE OF SIGHT OF UR UNITS. WHAT WAS IN THE DEMO WAS VERY UNREALISTIC STRATEGIC WISE AND THEIR RECOMENDATION TO HIDE UR CAVALRY IS THUS DEEMED UTTERLY USELESS

(type name here)
27th Apr 2005, 01:21
Yeah, i was wondering why they did that

Oststar
27th Apr 2005, 01:27
Yeah, i was wondering why they did that

It'd be hard to come up with a good substitute, but i'd say do a CCV type thing where dust and such betrays that there is a unit moving and LOS shows what type etc etc.

As for most important unit... Artillery. Infantry hold the line for me, but my Arty pins, directs, slaughters and forces my enemy into action. I love infantry on infantry hacking at each other, but without artillery it becomes a battle of attrition.

Villaret-Joyeuse
27th Apr 2005, 03:03
Artillery shots available in Napoleonic Wars:

Roundshot - common cannonball
Case/Canister - turns artillery into giant shotgun
Spherical Case - British only after 1804, invented by Henry Shrapnel.

Chain, Grapeshot and Barshot - only for naval warfare

Cro_Knight
27th Apr 2005, 04:35
no i remember and i think alot of you do is whne napoleon being a junior commander dispersed a revolutionary PRO crowd with how he said a whiff of grapeshot

Villaret-Joyeuse
27th Apr 2005, 04:56
Mistranslation. Should have been Whiff of Canister, not grapeshot....

I was answering Zeus Commanders' question...

Cro_Knight
27th Apr 2005, 05:02
Mistranslation. Should have been Whiff of Canister, not grapeshot....

I was answering Zeus Commanders' question...
im not sure it was quoted by napoleon

fat_man
27th Apr 2005, 20:22
Artillery shots available in Napoleonic Wars:

Chain, Grapeshot and Barshot - only for naval warfare

didnt they have explosive cannon balls (with fuses in them and packed with explosive) or something like that.

(type name here)
27th Apr 2005, 22:10
Isn't that a round shot? (I'm not sure)

=95th=Greenjacket
27th Apr 2005, 22:39
in answer to the explosive cannon balls, they had 'shells' which would spew fire smoke and shrapnel every where, but they were very basic

cavelry r the most valuble cus if u force infantry into a square using them, then the infanty is most vuneralbe, they cant move and only the side of the square facing u can fire, so infanty and cannon can literaly shred a square

i supose cavs arnt to good on there own no unit on the game is really

Villaret-Joyeuse
28th Apr 2005, 00:57
There was also "explosive shot" or "common shell" - "an iron sphere of combustible material which exploded by means of a fuze ignited by the discharge of the gun" This was predominantly used it howitzers and mortars. (Quote from Philip Haythornthwaite's Napoleonic Source Book)

Sorry, "spherical case" was an explosive shell that shot out "shrapnel", I thought most would see the connection. "It resembled an ordinary shell but with thinner casing and filled with a bursting charge of gunpowder plus musket balls, so that when the fuze was trimmed correctly the shot could be timed to burst in the air over the heads of enemy troops." (Quote from Philip Haythornthwaite's Napoleonic Source Book)

fat_man
28th Apr 2005, 02:49
in answer to the explosive cannon balls, they had 'shells' which would spew fire smoke and shrapnel every where, but they were very basic

cavelry r the most valuble cus if u force infantry into a square using them, then the infanty is most vuneralbe, they cant move and only the side of the square facing u can fire, so infanty and cannon can literaly shred a square

i supose cavs arnt to good on there own no unit on the game is really

HAY greenjacket I am =95th=Blackwatch but here i am fat_man so deal with it LOL . if you need proof my name is alex,so is yours.

Thanx for the info

=95th=Greenjacket
28th Apr 2005, 18:19
There was also "explosive shot" or "common shell" - "an iron sphere of combustible material which exploded by means of a fuze ignited by the discharge of the gun" This was predominantly used it howitzers and mortars. (Quote from Philip Haythornthwaite's Napoleonic Source Book)

Sorry, "spherical case" was an explosive shell that shot out "shrapnel", I thought most would see the connection. "It resembled an ordinary shell but with thinner casing and filled with a bursting charge of gunpowder plus musket balls, so that when the fuze was trimmed correctly the shot could be timed to burst in the air over the heads of enemy troops." (Quote from Philip Haythornthwaite's Napoleonic Source Book)

hey if u were talkin 2 me bout shells and spherical case, i no they were different, u just explained shells better than i did lol, if u wernt talkin 2 me sry

o hey blackwatch/fatman, lol

Zeus Commander
29th Apr 2005, 02:28
"Artillery shots available in Napoleonic Wars:

Chain, Grapeshot and Barshot - only for naval warfare"

The guy who invented shrapnel was named Shrapnel. Lol, well that sucks for him. Thats like having the fusion bomb named after "Walter Fusion" or naming AIDS after "Bill Aids" lol.

Yorkie
29th Apr 2005, 09:33
"The guy who invented shrapnel was named Shrapnel. Lol, well that sucks for him. Thats like having the fusion bomb named after "Walter Fusion" or naming AIDS after "Bill Aids" lol.

Thought that was quite obvious it was and still is common for "Inventors" to name their inventions after em ..

mob
29th Apr 2005, 11:31
i hope to god this game has skirmish mode for atacking enemys with lots of artilry and i bet lots of artilery wouldnt beat lots of cav and inf

Villaret-Joyeuse
29th Apr 2005, 12:28
Sorry, Greenjacket, I was answering to Zeus Commander & Fat Man. ;)

jeffdan9
29th Apr 2005, 18:58
They have a great rate of fire, rapidly killing up to 1/2 of the army. I would have the tactic of putting them in the middle using the "tactics" menu & blast at the enemy, killing the enemy before they even come to the infantry's range.

Cavalry only are good for destroying artillery or countering other Cavalry.
Infantry are OK but kill only 1/3 in my battles. They only kill about 3 people per volley. W/ artillery support they kill up to 30 per volley.
So kill distribution is
50% artillery
33% infantry
17% cavalry

mob
29th Apr 2005, 19:02
not really its about 6 people at the very least
but besides that its close enough
lets hope cav are cheap online and when really armoured can burst tru enemy squares well

otherwise it would be a bit of a joke

and a joke i wouldnt laugh at
cav need to be improved is my verdict
go skirmishers you fix em when it comes out (if it needs fixing)

=95th=Greenjacket
30th Apr 2005, 16:24
cavs r also good against infantry as i sed b4, infantry in a square is a solid unmoving target, and only one side of the square and fire at ur men unless the square is surrounded, if the infantry dont form into square wen cav charge, then loads of um die, tho it dont work if ur enemy has supriour cavs

the trouble with artillary is that if ur not carful u can kill ur own men