PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Tactic At The Battle Of Cyrenaica.

BANANAMAN
23rd Apr 2005, 20:15
Well, my favorite way of tactic at the battle of Cyrenaica is to deploy black Watch and riflemen so that they will go into those two buildings. Then I put two cavalry squadrons to my right flank and one cavalry squadron to my left flank.

The two normal cannons I put behind the two buildings also and two infantry formations. Three or four inline infantry formations as a frontline to the right of the two buildings. South-East near the two buildings just one cannon, the howitzer cannon. And two infantry formations in square formation to protect that howitzer cannon.

Now, the meaning of all this is to use those two buildings as two very highly deadly small forts which causes a lot of dead under the enemy's formations. And very high above those two buildings I put the two cannons to protect those two killer buildings. And a little bit beneath those two cannons I put two infantry inline formation to protect those two cannons.

Now, somewhere to the South-East of the two buildings you have the howitzer cannon very high on the mountain with right and below it a square formation. This howitzer cannon is the decoy for the enemy cavalry which are very fond of cannons and artilery crews. Those two 'guarding' squares are there to slow down the battle action of the enemy so that you can ponder it with artilery fire from those two VERY well protected normal cannons.

So, your frontline will be half overrun and your right flank, the decoys (two square formations & one howitzer cannon) will be completly wipped-out. But before your (decoy) right flank will be wipped-out you can take out a lot of enemy soldiers if you use all the cannons wisely.

Now, almost forgot to tell you guys about the cavalry in the left and right flanks. The right flank cavalry are the very first units which I give command in the very first second of the battle-start. I let the right flank cavalry go waayyy behind the enemy where the enemy cannot see them and I let those cavalry of mine run at high speed.

The left flank cavalry I let it first go behind the Tuareg tents then also waayy behind the enemy where the enemy cannot see it. And while the enemy concentrates on the two buildings and direct surroundings I let the left and right flank cavalry charge in with HIGH speed into the two artilery units of the enemy. After destroying the artilery units of the enemy I have got two advantages: the very dangerous enemy artilery cannons are gone and I have got my cavalry behind the by now enemy infantry units. So, I have practicaly surrounded the enemy army. At this moment of time all is going well, because the enemy is pinned down near the two houses and are being attack by my army from many directions until the last enemy soldier drops dead.

By the way, I use the normal pause option a lot!

P.S. Those enemy cavalry do not attack those two normal cannons above the two buildings because the enemy cavalry units seems to be 'afraid' of the two buildings which function as small forts.

BANANAMAN
23rd Apr 2005, 20:16
And what is your favorite tactic at the battle of Cyrenaica?

Tenjo_Kalle
23rd Apr 2005, 22:19
Well I wrote a short version of this somewhere else but here goes;

I put all my regiments on the hill in the back. Closest to the enemy (but still on hill of course) a lengthy line of infantry (cant remember what type of inf) Above them more infantry in line formation. Above them artillery both regiments. To the right of artillery all the cavalry in line formation and also some inf in line formation.

To the left, i.e. the ones of my troops closest to the houses, maximum one inf unit in line guarding that flank, this was not necessery though.

This deployment rendered me about 100 casulties while the Austrians were totally annihilated.

Why?

Well because the AI sends in his cav first so I have time to concentrate all my fire on it and since all my troops are in line formation that is a lot of fire. Also the AI will go for my right flank where I have my own cav. So if any enemy cav reaches my line before it is shot I simply countercharge it.

With enemy cav dead I switch focus to the infantry and artillery that is coming next. (You might wanna change your artillery focus before the enemy cav is dead) Reform the troops if they went out of line during the cav attack. You will not be able to shoot all enemyinfantry before they reach your line but use your cav to fakecharge and the enemy infantry will go to squareformation letting your art and inf shoot them to pieces.

Hoping for stronger AI in the real game. An AI that lets all his troops work together and not make suicide charge into this kind of defence. The AI should try to manouver to put pressure with all men on one of my flanks to force me out of position or something like that. Well, well its a demo - I am suppose to win I guess :)

The tactic I described here I used in my second try on this battle. In the first try I occupied the buildings with one inf regiment in each building and the rest of my army had a similar deployment as in the above description. With 2 regiments in the buildings my firepower on the centre and right flank (where the enemy attacks) was not so strong. I still won the first try but suffered some more casulties. No pausing was necessery in either of the two tries.

Hope you do not think I turned the topic to something you did not intend with it :)

Kalle

BANANAMAN
24th Apr 2005, 00:23
Thanks Kalle for keeping this thread to its topic. :)

By the way, I'll try your favorite tactic. But what about the enemy's artilery? Those things are very dangerous for your own troops. With your tactic you said nothing about your cavalry flanking and attacking the enemy artilery. I guess you shot the enemy artilery to pieces with your own artilery.

By the way: Come on. Of course you are supposed to win in the demo, just take a look what you get: height advantage and two buildings which functions as lethal small forts. So, the trick/score or challange here is to let as many as possible of your own men survive the battle of Cyrenaica.

Okey, I'm off now to try your favorite tactic. Thanks for your input Kalle.

Hope many others would like to surprise us with their own unique kind of tactic at the battle of Cyrenaica.

P.S. I tried the arcade/straight head on charge with my whole army on the enemy: guess what... it doesnt work. :D So, I'm very glad to see that you are obligated/forced to use at least the basic tactics in IG.

BANANAMAN
24th Apr 2005, 01:44
Hi there Kalle,

I tried your favorite tactic, and I think that although it's fun to try out someone else's tactics I strongly advice to everyone inhere that when you are going to play seriously you should play (your own) tactics which feels comfortable.

Why I'm saying this? Uhh.. because with your favorite tactic I lost too many men. :o

Your favorite tactic is alright but it was me who made the error(s) during executing your favorite tactic plan. Austria lost 750, but me, Great Britain lost 490 men. :eek:

How come? Well, all was going according to plan and on my left flank I knew there was most of the enemy's cavalry but I felt safe occupying the two buildings and ignored the concentration of cavalry on my left flank.

All was going exactly as you have told: I was pounding loads of cannonballs at the enemy formations and I was lock & loading all the time and at the same time my infantry inline formations were firing rain of bullets at the enemy. Hell, I even charged with two cavalry squadrons killing all of the two artilery of the enemy.

I was rock & rolling. I felt nice because it saw as if I would have only about 80 casualties at the end of the day at the Victory score-board.

But then disaster came. Three enemy cavalry squadrons just rushed in from my left flank passing by the two buildings with high speed and attacked one of my infantry formation inline at the left of my cannons. I had to swing all of the cannons to the left trying to hit as much as possible of the enemy cavalry. And I gave order to three of my inline infantry formations to turn their backs towards the enemy infantry and to shoot those enemy cavalry ASAP. But by doing this the enemy infantry got the overhand on those infantry facing them and shot my infantry to pieces and while they were doing that the enemy cavalry was just swarming like some groups of angry bees behind my infantry lines. All of my men were killed, except those in the two buildings.

Okey, that's it folks! :D

Zeus Commander
24th Apr 2005, 02:06
Lol I played the Cyrenia map about a hundred times and finally found a perfect strategy. [Can I post pictures in here?, of the initial formation and end statistics]

Believe it or not until I can show you a picture but I lost less than about 20 men in the whole battle. Just position your artillary in the very back of the hill you start on so that they have range +29. Then just a little bit in front of them I put my riflemen [line formation] and a little bit in front of the riflemen I put my black guards [line]. On the flanks of these men I put my Grenadier Guards [2] in column formation. Then, at the outside corners of these Grenadier Guards I place my Light infantry in Square formation in case the enemy cavalry actually reaches my troops. Then in front of the Grenadier Guards I put my Line infantry in line formation with a small whole in between where I put my Household Cavalry in column formation. Then on the flanks of my square Light infantry and Grenadier Guards I put my close ranged cavalry. You should have your men positioned like this as soon as you start because it will take too long and be too hard to position it while the enemy is moving. They will get almost no kills if you direct this correctly especially if you can kill their cavalry with minimal losses. Make sure they attack you as soon as they get close to the hill by firing cannons at them no matter what the range. This will ensure that they will not attack with artillary support. Also one of the most important concepts needed to attain minimal losses is to kill their artillary as soon as possible while trampling the enemy from behind with your flanking cavalry. Try this and I ensure you it will work.

Tenjo_Kalle
24th Apr 2005, 10:00
Bananaman m8, you execute my strategy in the wrong way. You are not suppose to put troops in the buildings. All infantry goes on the hill. Pretty much as described by Zues. Exept I have all my troops in line formation to ensure maximum firepower. Reread my post you will see how to deploy :)

Kalle

psycduty
24th Apr 2005, 11:47
My tactic is to form a battle line to enable the cannons and howitzers to retreat behind the infantry line and from that i can line the cannons up on the higher ground just next to the 2 white buildings. In the white buildings i place my riflemen and one lign of light infantry just outside it to protect that flank.
On the right are all of my cavalry next to the encampment. I have my black watch in the centre and my line infantry placed just below the high ground stretched along. My grenadiers will be in the centre, as they are the ones that are going to do most of the hand to hand fighting. This formation can quickly be turned into squares against cavalry at the poin necassary. Also the cavalry on the right can sweep the battlefield incase one of their units deploys earlier that anything else (really is funny when a cannon deploys itself right at the start with no help from the rest of their army ^^ )

-L-I-
[] [R] -Ln-I- -Ln-I- .|. -G-G- -G-G- -L-I- -B-W- .|. -C- -C- C-

.|.

Please note that the Line infantry that is in the midle is SUPPOST to be in infront of the two buildings to the right hand side next to the Riflemen ^^
Thats a basic ish form of my battle line, the Black watch can redeploy to the right if need be, also if they go straight for the centre my Line infanty and riflemen can turn their flank. My frontal artillery will be able to re-deploy to the high ground to the back once the enemy becomes really close. Also if the enemy cavalry tries to go through my lines my Cavalry can sweep behind them.
There isnt anything special about my battle line, just something simple for a meat grinder battle, it really hasnt got any weak points so the enemy has to make them and exploit them with everything they have, there in lying its weakness whilst they concentrate on one aspect of the line the rest of my forces can surround and butcher them!
Well that was something i was playing about with this morning, tell me what you think! :cool:

Anakin Skywalker
24th Apr 2005, 11:58
Hoping for stronger AI in the real game. An AI that lets all his troops work together and not make suicide charge into this kind of defence. The AI should try to manouver to put pressure with all men on one of my flanks to force me out of position or something like that. Well, well its a demo - I am suppose to win I guess :)
Kalle

Well, I suppose the AI will be stronger in the real game. And by the way: the demo-battle of Cyrinia (or how is it spelled? :rolleyes: ) was one of medium difficulty.

BANANAMAN
24th Apr 2005, 12:10
My tactic is to form a battle line to enable the cannons and howitzers to retreat behind the infantry line and from that i can line the cannons up on the higher ground just next to the 2 white buildings. In the white buildings i place my riflemen and one lign of light infantry just outside it to protect that flank.
On the right are all of my cavalry next to the encampment. I have my black watch in the centre and my line infantry placed just below the high ground stretched along. My grenadiers will be in the centre, as they are the ones that are going to do most of the hand to hand fighting. This formation can quickly be turned into squares against cavalry at the poin necassary. Also the cavalry on the right can sweep the battlefield incase one of their units deploys earlier that anything else (really is funny when a cannon deploys itself right at the start with no help from the rest of their army ^^ )

-L-I-
[] [R] -Ln-I- -Ln-I- .|. -G-G- -G-G- -L-I- -B-W- .|. -C- -C- C-

.|.

Please note that the Line infantry that is in the midle is SUPPOST to be in infront of the two buildings to the right hand side next to the Riflemen ^^
Thats a basic ish form of my battle line, the Black watch can redeploy to the right if need be, also if they go straight for the centre my Line infanty and riflemen can turn their flank. My frontal artillery will be able to re-deploy to the high ground to the back once the enemy becomes really close. Also if the enemy cavalry tries to go through my lines my Cavalry can sweep behind them.
There isnt anything special about my battle line, just something simple for a meat grinder battle, it really hasnt got any weak points so the enemy has to make them and exploit them with everything they have, there in lying its weakness whilst they concentrate on one aspect of the line the rest of my forces can surround and butcher them!
Well that was something i was playing about with this morning, tell me what you think! :cool:

I find your tactic or strategy plan a good one but what I dont like about it to be honest is the constant re-deploying. Because with the fastpace gamespeed in this game you dont get much time to re-deploy your units especialy your artilery units because those arti guys are just sooo sloooow even with arti-horses pulling the cannons.

psycduty
24th Apr 2005, 12:22
It depends really on whether you want your cannons to redeploy, in this battle plan you will lose alot of troops and to be honest the artillery will be useless once the enemy is close which is probably why keeping them at the front is good.
However if you want them behind the infantry more then fine, on the right flank on the hill would be good but youll need to drap some infantry from the battle line to protect it. You could just put them to the back on the high ground but they wouldnt have the range on the enemy troops.
I guess it all depends on whether your artillery dependant or not because i dont like artillery its too much hassle so putting them in a place where i dont have to worry about them is probably the best option for me.
The redeployment also depends on where the enemy will strike hardest which is why i strongly suggest you place the artillery to the centre and after a few fires getting them behind the infantry to then place more fire down upon them thats the only way i think you can guarentee that the enemy will go where you want, in this case being the middle.
Im gonna do some fine tuning onto it tho and ill tell you all what ive done and see if my losses increase/decrease.

BANANAMAN
24th Apr 2005, 13:36
Say Kalle, good solid tactic plan/strategy man! :)

I tried it YOUR way and I only got 275 of casualties this time.. better than the 490 casualties before, ey? :)

solidusite
26th Apr 2005, 21:09
Hi all, I'm new! :o
Uff, I'm italian and I speak english very bad :mad: ...so reading :p ...can you post screens of position? :rolleyes:

I Have used my tattic and I win with 750 / 237 - Flag 16 / 1 :D :D

thx :)

solidusite
27th Apr 2005, 11:54
ok but I'm not good to read english :mad: :( :(