PDA

View Full Version : Possible for the U.S to be added? Maybe in a mod?

hayes
23rd Apr 2005, 00:05
After we pwned the british twice in row I think it is fair that you add the U.S. We did have an 2 year undeclared naval war with france during the adams administration. That would be fun. The U.S was now respected after the war of 1812 and was not by far a weak contender. You did africa combat, now do the U.S.

The Penitant Man
23rd Apr 2005, 01:14
In keeping with the USA's usual military tactics, a US expansion kit will only appear once most of the fighting is done.

Expect it to hit the shops in, say, 1942 or so.

Joe 98
23rd Apr 2005, 02:21
The British march on Washington D.C. would be a good mod.

krazed
23rd Apr 2005, 10:32
shhhh joe dont rain on his happy war of 1812 parade, many americans are sensetive they didnt win

saddletank
23rd Apr 2005, 11:55
In keeping with the USA's usual military tactics, a US expansion kit will only appear once most of the fighting is done.

Expect it to hit the shops in, say, 1942 or so.

LOL at that man, nice jk.

But maybe there will be a 1918 patch first though?

Anakin Skywalker
23rd Apr 2005, 11:59
I think we don't need the USA as playable nation!

MrOsterman
23rd Apr 2005, 14:54
For the record, and this is as an American.

We did not 'pwn' the British. Ever.

We one the revolution becuase we refused to surrender our armies after major defeats, and choose to continue to run, while the British main column wasn't ready to sacrifice the colonies to win. Had the British been willing to set fire to every city and town that the Continental Army passed through, the British would have eventually won, but they would have won a decimated land.

In addition, the turning point in the war of Independence is named as the Battle of Saratoga, not becuase the the American's won as much as it was enough of a victory that the French decided to finance the war, providing arms to hated English colonists to help bloody the noses of the even more hated English of the Isles. Of further note is the fact that we nearly lost the war had it not been for the intervention of Benedict Arnold, who went from our greatest hero to our greatest villan.

Further, we did not win the war of 1812, but lost most major engagements, had our capital seized and burned, and for the most part sued for peace when it became apparent that we were looking at not be conquered back into the Empire but rather simply decimated into non-existance.

The only reason it is remembered as a win was thanks to Jackson at New Orleans, a battle which took place AFTER the peace treaty had been signed, but before word could reach the warring armies in the South.

All that said:

Please introduce American Units for us Yankees that just want them. :)

Mr. O

Anakin Skywalker
23rd Apr 2005, 15:37
Once an American dude said "We don't want to interfere in European's conflicts" or something.

saddletank
23rd Apr 2005, 17:38
If you wanted to include American units or ships I'm not sure what use they would be unless they can with a War of 1812 add-on. There was no intervention in Europe by any American forces in this period.

I find it quite refreshing to occasionally come across pc games that aren't US-centric, there aren't that many :)

GenFerriman
23rd Apr 2005, 18:04
Just like to give MrOsterMan a cake just for his rare trait in the majority of online Americans, this trait is honest facts. I count 43 yanks so far, and MrOsterMan and Rocha another yank, are the only ones so far to understand the true facts.

No disrespect intended to those yanks who think other wise but MrOsterMan and Rocha are right! your wrong.

P.s. Send me your address and i'll get that to be mouldy Cake though to you.

Emperor Asrailius
23rd Apr 2005, 20:12
well im a canuck, and we have never lost a war BOO YA!!!

you yanks did manage to take Maine from us though...

Cro_Knight
23rd Apr 2005, 22:30
well i think american should be added for the history it has with the british and such so with this i say wtf is with the north afrikan i with they were north american because i only know of the egyptions who fought napoleon and what are the special units on the imperial glory website under war on land

Mongo80
24th Apr 2005, 05:46
For the record, and this is as an American.

We did not 'pwn' the British. Ever.

We one the revolution becuase we refused to surrender our armies after major defeats, and choose to continue to run, while the British main column wasn't ready to sacrifice the colonies to win. Had the British been willing to set fire to every city and town that the Continental Army passed through, the British would have eventually won, but they would have won a decimated land.

In addition, the turning point in the war of Independence is named as the Battle of Saratoga, not becuase the the American's won as much as it was enough of a victory that the French decided to finance the war, providing arms to hated English colonists to help bloody the noses of the even more hated English of the Isles. Of further note is the fact that we nearly lost the war had it not been for the intervention of Benedict Arnold, who went from our greatest hero to our greatest villan.

Further, we did not win the war of 1812, but lost most major engagements, had our capital
Mr. O

I new in writing in these forums so ill make this quick. i find it laughable that intelligent people such as yourselves can be critical of the U.S. . Lets face it, if it wasnt for the blood my father and grandfathers spilt for europe i.e. (Great Britain, France and scores other) you'd all be speakin' german. Yes America has lost wars, lost battles and many good men. But at least we dont go around crying about it for 200 plus years,we've learned from our mistakes and misfortunes. And thats why w/ pride I say we have the best military in the world. further more i may be going overboard here but if France or the U.K. needed military help or otherwise. WE'D BE THERE. And oh for the record im pretty sure in say.............. the last 4 years, how many people are free from terror and oppression. How'd that happen??? And God willing were ever there is evil tyrants around the world i hope to God we "speak softly and carry a big stick" . if my country needs me to serve F!@#$!@ A, time and place ill be there reporting for duty. If your still w/ me thank you for listening, my only point is even though some people may be "joking" around with these little comments about how we wait til the last minute to take action, we still did and the world was has and is forever changed for the better because of it. One last thing, when I read some of these posts that were what I call "Anti-American" It made me think of my grand fathers who served in africa, france and the sacrafices they made, thats why it angered me.

Bernard
24th Apr 2005, 07:08
I new in writing in these forums so ill make this quick. i find it laughable that intelligent people such as yourselves can be critical of the U.S. . Lets face it, if it wasnt for the blood my father and grandfathers spilt for europe i.e. (Great Britain, France and scores other) you'd all be speakin' german. Yes America has lost wars, lost battles and many good men. But at least we dont go around crying about it for 200 plus years,we've learned from our mistakes and misfortunes. And thats why w/ pride I say we have the best military in the world. further more i may be going overboard here but if France or the U.K. needed military help or otherwise. WE'D BE THERE. And oh for the record im pretty sure in say.............. the last 4 years, how many people are free from terror and oppression. How'd that happen??? And God willing were ever there is evil tyrants around the world i hope to God we "speak softly and carry a big stick" . if my country needs me to serve F!@#$!@ A, time and place ill be there reporting for duty. If your still w/ me thank you for listening, my only point is even though some people may be "joking" around with these little comments about how we wait til the last minute to take action, we still did and the world was has and is forever changed for the better because of it. One last thing, when I read some of these posts that were what I call "Anti-American" It made me think of my grand fathers who served in africa, france and the sacrafices they made, thats why it angered me.

I've heard that one before ('you'd all be speakin' german!'). :)

Not to undermine your post at all, btw.

I would welcome a US mod, although I am not sure at all how such a thing could be done (expansion of Atlantic, Canada?). On a related note, I am also interested in how IG represents the rest of the world outside Europe, especially the empires of the European nations. An abstract representation eg x amount of income per turn from overseas possessions...?

Mike_B
24th Apr 2005, 08:42

Let's keep political issues from these days out of here. Wars of the past can be discussed to a certain level seeing as they are related to the game but the rest is not.

Czar
24th Apr 2005, 09:23
As an aside, for those who are interested:
In a rational discussion on another forum (not Eidos) a European asked an American why he was so upset about the comments that had been made about his government.

The answer was interesting:
Many Americans (USA type) responded and it seems that they take critisim of their government personally

Compare this to a British citizen who will say "Our Government? Yeah, B'tards to a man! But, it's not how WE think!"

Interesting huh? :)

Anakin Skywalker
24th Apr 2005, 11:46

America rules! Yeah, I mean it. Without you our whole country (Germany) would have been under Soviet control after WW2. The Americans did understand the opposite of a tyrranic government, like the Hitler regime, and the people living under the regime. Well, the Soviets didn't! Thank you! :)

BANANAMAN
24th Apr 2005, 12:37
If you say something negative about 'America' then all the 100% of the Americans disagree with you.

But if you say something negative about the 'American government' then the half 50% of the Americans agree with you.

The thing is that Americans trust their government more than we do trust in our own European governments here in Europe.

And of course everybody want to see their own country in Imperial Glory and play their country but this pc game Imperial Glory is about the Napoleonic Wars meaning most of all the great battles were fought by European countries not the by then a very young U.S.

So, it's very logical that there is no America in Imperial Glory.

But I realy would like to know just one thing about the American gamers who would buy Imperial Glory: there is no U.S. in Imperial Glory, so what country is your second choice and alternative?

Mongo80
24th Apr 2005, 15:32
America rules! Yeah, I mean it. Without you our whole country (Germany) would have been under Soviet control after WW2. The Americans did understand the opposite of a tyrranic government, like the Hitler regime, and the people living under the regime. Well, the Soviets didn't! Thank you! :)

If the polls were true John "Ivoted for it bfore I votedaginst it" kerry would be prez. :) Dont belive evrything u read Czar. Secondly Your thanks is most welcome Anakin :) i may have been a bit brash in my post but i feel very deep patriotism of my country. In fact a month ago I was in the recruitment process for the Army Rangers when I found out that they had no openings for that position at that time, plus i got a huge pay raise at my job. That aside I feel that the u.k. fance germany are great friends and allies of the U.S. O.k. stepping away from the political issue. :D
A U.S. mod would be cool, (jus cuz im american) :) but the U.S. really wasnt involed in that era, cept of the war of 1812. So I c were some people would be critical

saddletank
24th Apr 2005, 15:37
Guys, please look up there 5 posts and read @m's post. I'm pretty sick of all sorts of off topic political cr*p that gets posted on so many gaming forums, and ruins them. I've never yet read a political thread that does not end in a flame war, so let's just avoid the subject shall we?

Mongo80
24th Apr 2005, 15:40
If you say something negative about 'America' then all the 100% of the Americans disagree with you.

But if you say something negative about the 'American government' then the half 50% of the Americans agree with you.

The thing is that Americans trust their government more than we do trust in our own European governments here in Europe.

And of course everybody want to see their own country in Imperial Glory and play their country but this pc game Imperial Glory is about the Napoleonic Wars meaning most of all the great battles were fought by European countries not the by then a very young U.S.

So, it's very logical that there is no America in Imperial Glory.

But I realy would like to know just one thing about the American gamers who would buy Imperial Glory: there is no U.S. in Imperial Glory, so what country is your second choice and alternative?

Great Britain DUH!!!! lol They kicked are ars's all over the colonies. :D With out a doubt I would choose Great Britain. Their calvalry is legendary. not only that but a british accent screaming "ENGLAND!!!!" or "ENGAGE THAT IFANTRY UNIT" is pretty frickin cool :)

timspork
26th Apr 2005, 13:38
Being an American War of 1812 Re-enactor I'd love to finaly have a game with American Infantry and Rifles in it. So long as they wear the late war uniforms after they got cheap and removed all the excess red wool fromt he collars and cuffs from the blue coats. They look better that way in my opinion.

Also Yea we lost that war. Let's just be thankfull England was kinda busy with a little thing called Napoleon.

MrOsterman
26th Apr 2005, 18:07
I'd like to echo the sentiments that we keep history and current events seperated.

I am a dyed in the wool, red blooded 100% "American". I've had relatives or friends of relatives in every major conflict fought for this country going back to the revolution itself and my dad's cousin is trying to verify if we had a relative in the French and Indian War (Seven Years War for you blokes on the other side of the pond). I'm as proud of my country and it's contributions to the world as much as the next guy.

But that pride doesn't change history.

It doesn't remove the black eye that General Brock served when he captured Ft. Detroit in the war of 1812 without firing a shot.

It doesn't stop the British lines from eventually taking Breed's Hill (often mistaken for Bunker hill which was taken easily earlier that day).

It doesn't change the fact that scores of militia deserted Washington at Valley Forge, and that when the snow finally melted it was only due to Von Stueben's efforts to train them that they were able to stand 'muzzle to muzzle' with the British.

THe history of the American Military is not one victory after another. It just isn't. We did usually manage to win wars, or have an impact.

And again, the US had a standing army during the wars of Napolean, and I would love to see that army represented in IG.

Of course you could just do what American Conquest did and give us all "God Units" too so that we could just roll over everyone and not be very fun to play.

Mr. O

The Penitant Man
26th Apr 2005, 21:17
Lets face it, if it wasnt for the blood my father and grandfathers spilt for europe i.e. (Great Britain, France and scores other) you'd all be speakin' german.

Yeah?
Well if it wasn't for my ancestors leaving their homeland and sailing across the Atlantic, you'd all be speaking German too.

Which, let's face it, is an ugly language.

krazed
28th Apr 2005, 04:15
Let's keep political issues from these days out of here. Wars of the past can be discussed to a certain level seeing as they are related to the game but the rest is not.

was just wondering if some of you missed this, since you're still going

Anakin Skywalker
29th Apr 2005, 14:45
Yeah?
Well if it wasn't for my ancestors leaving their homeland and sailing across the Atlantic, you'd all be speaking German too.

Which, let's face it, is an ugly language.

Are you threatening me, master jedi? :mad: Wollt ihr mir etwa drohen, Jedi Meister?
Maybe for you our beatiful language sound ugly, because the most known man who had spoken it was Hitler!
Does that sentence sound ugly to you? : Jeder einzelne Jedi ist von nun an ein Feind der Republik!
The fact is, that you have many and various possibilities to express what you mean in German! We have several words for one thing.

@Bongo: Be proud of your country! If there is a country who deserves it, it's America! In my school for example there are some left-wing people who wear T-shirts with the following text on it : U.S. world tournee, Bombing a country near you. And then the countries America had war with, e.g. Japan 1945...and so on. I hate those people! Without America, they probably wouldn't live in an independent Germany.

Halberdier
29th Apr 2005, 19:15
But not only the colonies of North America against the British empire.

1804-1825 was an critical period for many countries in America's lands. The revolution of Mexico, Argentina and Great Colombia against the Spaniards imperial forces. Or , on the other hand there is Brazil that try to extend their territories in South America.

Commerce , Diplomacy , Naval battles ,was the decisive factors . Fantastic scenarios on the sea or the land. Furthermore the land battles with "few" troops was very common and can be well modelled with the Imperial glory design.

I wanna a MOD of American colonies against the European empires ;).

http://www.coloradocollege.edu/Dept/HY/Ashley/HY104/images/MapKeys/IndependenceWars.jpg

subhuman31
30th Apr 2005, 15:11
If the Americas were to be included as an expansion, they would have to include the Spanish & Portuguese as playable factions. To include the French-Indian war and other imperial battles the Continental army/U.S. should only be available when the revolution occured, and the player would have the choice of what side to continue the game as - Imperial Forces or Colonists. After a certain period the British could continue in Canada, whilst if you chose to continue as the U.S. you could take Indian and Spanish lands, and attempt to invade Canada, using the lands controled during the revolution as the mother country. As the game is called IMPERIAL glory, the expansion could not be entirely U.S. concerned, as they are not Imperial.

PS I have thoughts on some of the ludicrous political statements made here, but lets concentrate on the game!!

PPS Another idea for an expansion/mod: India. Plenty of scope for an expansion map, with new units including elephants.

Czar
1st May 2005, 02:25
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=43936

My first ever post here. :D

Still relevant to this discussion

Vic Flange answered in post # 22.