PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait for this game!!!

Irish2
21st Apr 2005, 15:48
Gamespot just released 9 new shots and the naval battle look pretty sweet. Actually see ships getting boarded and crews fighting.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/imperialglory/screenindex.html

In one of the screens, it shows a guy kneeling as an option in the tactics box. Could this be hold ground and fire?

The other two screens only have the 2 tactics that we see in the demo.

I think this will be a wonderful game given the fact that the modders are already adding alot to the game. I understand the concern about the hold ground, that is needed, but it may be in. Regarding units fighting to the last man, you as a general are going to have to pull your units back if they are taking too much damage in a fire fight. Pull them back behind the other ranks, if your army is getting beat too bad, full retreat is an option.

Can't wait for the single player campaign and seeing some of you on the field of battle.

Czar
21st Apr 2005, 16:30
Nice to see some naval action!

Although it does confirm for me that doing crew was harder than they expected. Note that there appear to be certain 'locations' where crew appear?

Two men fight forward of the fore mast. Four more fight on the deck just behind it (in two groups of two) One man hangs from the rigging (6 1/2 steps up). Two men fight by the long boat. Two officers fight by the railing... etc.

It is the same on BOTH ships. Although there does appear to be some variety in the animations - it would be nice to see this animated.

Irish2
21st Apr 2005, 16:40
Yes, the crew fighting looks limited, but atleast its there. I was used to the cossacks & Aoe games where ships just blew up. This should be nice added feature.

mob
21st Apr 2005, 16:44
this game should be ok

Czar
21st Apr 2005, 16:48
Yes, the crew fighting looks limited, but atleast its there. ...

This is true. :D

The real test will be when the Age of Sail people get a hold of it :eek:

I hope it passes the test because the Naval Action really interests me :)

Irish2
21st Apr 2005, 17:09
It looks like it will be up to task for what I'm looking for. Most of the Napoleonic Wars were fought on land with the sea being of limited importance. Britain Controlled the Sea amd was able to keep France at bay bottling up most of the ships in port.

The key element will be the strategic map on this game. If the AI plays smart strategically and plays a bit smarter on the skirmishes, this will be a real winner.

Villaret-Joyeuse
21st Apr 2005, 20:53
Then it is obvious Irish then that you do not know anything about naval warfare during the Napoleonic Period. The French fleet routinely got out of port. Also, limited importance? If Napoleon had period of peace to build a sizable navy......

BANANAMAN
21st Apr 2005, 21:01
Then it is obvious Irish then that you do not know anything about naval warfare during the Napoleonic Period. The French fleet routinely got out of port. Also, limited importance? If Napoleon had period of peace to build a sizable navy......

I second that m8! :)

Have you seen Master & Commander? Tough cookies those Frenchies, 'British' :D captian Russell Crowe had a tough time against the French captian, because he thought the French would be an easy push over, lol. :D

Irish2
21st Apr 2005, 21:04

Umm...ok...

During the Revolution and the Napoleonic wars, Britain succeeds for the first time in establishing a permanent blockade : close blockade against Brest38 ; distant blockade as preferred by Nelson to allow the escape of the ennemy, preserving the possibility of a decisive battle. The morale and material superiority of the Royal Navy after Trafalgar is so great that the French navy will not even try to to go to sea and remains in her bases. Napoleon builds a lot of warships but it is not truly a navy so great is the lack of morale, training and doctrine. British warships can make a constant harassment of the European coast. After Trafalgar, Britain is able "through her predominant naval strength, to thwart Napoléon's Continental system in these seas, by encouraging large scale smuggling on the southern fringe of his empire, by blockading French ports in Italy and Dalmatia, interrupting the supply of food and naval stores to them and to French controlled dockyards, while establishing her own bases at Malta and after 1803 at Lissa (modern Vis) and defeating a French force which tried to take it in 1811 and by supporting anti-French guerilla activity in Calabria,

Czar
22nd Apr 2005, 01:13
... Most of the Napoleonic Wars were fought on land with the sea being of limited importance. Britain Controlled the Sea amd was able to keep France at bay bottling up most of the ships in port.

Ah, but you see, this is my point.

I don't just want to play historically. When I eventually get tired of whipping the French :p I will probably play as the French.

So what will I do? Firstly I shall build a massive navy and attempt to deal with those pesky british curs. :rolleyes:
So, in that game I imagine naval combat will be quite important?

If you want to argue that Britain 'ruled the waves' then why even bother with a naval warfare section? :confused:

Emperor Asrailius
22nd Apr 2005, 01:21
mmmmm....naval combat.....

wow these screens look awesome, and it will be a nice change to have some actuall tactics in the navy, unlike other games *cough*Empire Earth*cough* :D

Irish2
22nd Apr 2005, 02:36
Ah, but you see, this is my point.

I don't just want to play historically. When I eventually get tired of whipping the French :p I will probably play as the French.

So what will I do? Firstly I shall build a massive navy and attempt to deal with those pesky british curs. :rolleyes:
So, in that game I imagine naval combat will be quite important?

If you want to argue that Britain 'ruled the waves' then why even bother with a naval warfare section? :confused:

I'm all for alternative history. If you can find a way for France to control the sea and invade England, I'm all for it. I am very pleased theat they took the time to include the navy.

Czar
22nd Apr 2005, 04:06
... If you can find a way for France to control the sea and invade England, I'm all for it. ...
:eek:

Well, I wouldn't go THAT FAR! :mad:

;) :D

saddletank
22nd Apr 2005, 12:01
The real test will be when the Age of Sail people get a hold of it

Do you think so? Given how unrealistic the land combats are, I am skeptical that the naval battles will be any more true to life. I live in hope though, AoS' main limitation is that online games can be a bit flaky, and only about 3 - 4 players per side is stable, even after many patches.

I know the main playing group of AoS (Sea Lords) is watching the IG release carefully but I have a fear they will be disappointed.

Anakin Skywalker
22nd Apr 2005, 16:36
I second that m8! :)

Have you seen Master & Commander? Tough cookies those Frenchies, 'British' :D captian Russell Crowe had a tough time against the French captian, because he thought the French would be an easy push over, lol. :D

Eeenglish whaleur Cyrene. Diss 's Achron.Yu 'ave no possibilti, no chance. But yu 'ave 'ad worninge. Stoppe now orr wee wille destroyy yur shippe. Eeeenglisssshhh whaleur, diss 's yur lasst worninge, stoppe now orr wee wille destroyy yuu!!! ;)

saddletank
22nd Apr 2005, 21:07
Hehheh heh, LOL, nice.