PDA

View Full Version : Forget about IG: try instead Les Grognards!

black_fish
20th Apr 2005, 08:42
Just check this

http://www.histwar.com/index_en.php

A real historical simulation of the Napoleonic wars with good graphics.

After playing the demo several time I'm giving up on IG it's just completely silly, like a Monty Python recreation of Napoleonic warfare.

Instead I'll be playing NTW1 (www.thelordz.co.uk) and checking out Les Grognards.

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 08:54
Just check this

After playing the demo several time I'm giving up on IG it's just completely silly, like a Monty Python recreation of Napoleonic warfare.

Instead I'll be playing NTW1 (www.thelordz.co.uk) and checking out Les Grognards.

The only thing is: Imperial Glory has a turn base strategy board PLUS all provinces of Europe to play with while Les Grognards is very historicaly correct but has only one or two battles and NO turn base strategy board and all provinces of Europe.

And Imperial Glory will be seen at the major stores and pc stores near you while Les Grognards is being sold on the internet only, away from the publics view.

Black-Adder
20th Apr 2005, 09:01
you judge a game from a early demo?
and as mentioned aboce, IG will boast with more features. LEs grongnards are going to be a abandonware in 6 months

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 09:06
And by the way, Les Grognards or Le Grande Armee: Austerlitz or whatever you call it has NO demo. lol! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :D

It only has patches and screenshots and a video-coverage. :rolleyes:

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 10:15
And with this Les Grognards or Le Grande Armee: Austerlitz you cannot click on an group formation and tell it where to go or what to do.

It works this way, lol:

* There is a strategic map of the battle-field where you make your planning of attack, defence and so on. So, here you tell coloured boxes where to go.

* And in the so-called 'RTS' part of the battle-field you loose direct control, meaning when your troop formation(s) meet the enemy they depending on the situation automaticaly turn into squares, line formation and so on. You can do nothing about it except watching.

* If you want to do something about a troop formation of yours you will have to go back to the strategic battle-field map and give commands on the strategic level.

So, when you go into the so-called 'RTS' part of the battle-field in this game (Les Grognard or Le Grande Armee: Austerlitz) you are as a gamer in a state of SIMULATION: you cannot directly click a formation or formations and giving them orders instantly and directly.

Conclusion: Les Grognards or Le Grande Armee: Austerlitz is a SIMULATION pc wargame NOT a RTS (Real Time Strategy)/Turn base strategy board pc wargame. And a SIMULATION pc wargame is NOT my way of having fun from a pc wargame. :mad:

Got the info. from GameSpot's review, year: 2001. :D

black_fish
20th Apr 2005, 10:35
Of course Les Grognards doesn't have a demo, it's far from done :rolleyes:

As for being a simulation, yes of course it is, it's a wargame, and as far as I know IG is supposed to be a wargame. Isn't it?

Now it's not because YOU want a RTS that everybody wants one :confused:

You list all the supposed cool things that IG has (or will have because like somebody said 'it's just a demo!'), but Les Grognards has elements that I like and that IG lacks:

Deployment : define in some clicks sectors to occupy, hour of realization, desired formation (Line, checkerboard, echelon), organization (line, column, mixed), reserve
Defense : indicate zones to held, using as best as possible geography of area
Diversion : try to mislead your opponent on your intentions
March : in a minimum of time send troops to occupy an area
Link : associate Corps to get an army or for mutual support

These commands are then interpreted by Chiefs of Corps so they organize their troops. The colonels then undertake to apply the received commands, but as well to make all actions needed to preserve their regiment. Thus, you will not have to command for a "Square" for each regiment charged by a squadron of cuirassiers...

Editors
Map editor : tool to build the Ground Numerical System (GNS). You can create as much as maps you will. Random mode provides GNS on demand.
OoB editor : programme for creation of Armies. Random mode provides balanced armies.

I think those are all great and will be missing from IG (unless like Black-adder believes they had tons of contents in the 3 or 4 weeks they have left before going gold :p ). You don't have to like them but don't patronize me in telling me what I should play. I have a lot of fun playing RTS like Warhammer Dawn of War or Starcraft, but when I play Rome Total War or something like IG I want historical realism (why play an historical game if there's no history in it? :confused: ).

And if you own MTW do yourself a service and download NTW1: it has all the features that Pyro reaped off from the TW series (including your turn by turn) and it is FREE. :cool:

Oh and Black-adder you don't judge games on their demos?!? So what's the purpose of a freaking demo?

Mike_B
20th Apr 2005, 10:53
Just check this

Well I guess that's subjective. I find that the soldiers look like they've putted a bunch of tin soldiers in it. But that's just me.

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 10:57
@ black_fish.

LOL. :D

I wasnt talking about your way of having fun from a pc wargame, I was talking about my way of having fun from a pc wargame.

And for NTW1 (Napoleonic TotalWar MTW MOD. version) you need Medieval TotalWar AND Viking Invasion TotalWar Expansion Pack to change the NTW1 download into the NTW1 MTW MOD. not just Medieval TotalWar. :rolleyes:

I dont have both and I wont bother myself buying the Viking Invasion TotalWar Expansion Pack just to change TWO pc wargames into just ONE pc wargame: so I would have payed the price of two and getting only one, LOL. :rolleyes: :D

Lindkvist
20th Apr 2005, 11:50
And with this Les Grognards or Le Grande Armee: Austerlitz you cannot click on an group formation and tell it where to go or what to do.

It works this way, lol:

* There is a strategic map of the battle-field where you make your planning of attack, defence and so on. So, here you tell coloured boxes where to go.

* And in the so-called 'RTS' part of the battle-field you loose direct control, meaning when your troop formation(s) meet the enemy they depending on the situation automaticaly turn into squares, line formation and so on. You can do nothing about it except watching.

* If you want to do something about a troop formation of yours you will have to go back to the strategic battle-field map and give commands on the strategic level.

So, when you go into the so-called 'RTS' part of the battle-field in this game (Les Grognard or Le Grande Armee: Austerlitz) you are as a gamer in a state of SIMULATION: you cannot directly click a formation or formations and giving them orders instantly and directly.

Conclusion: Les Grognards or Le Grande Armee: Austerlitz is a SIMULATION pc wargame NOT a RTS (Real Time Strategy)/Turn base strategy board pc wargame. And a SIMULATION pc wargame is NOT my way of having fun from a pc wargame. :mad:

Got the info. from GameSpot's review, year: 2001. :D

The above info you got there is for the old "Le Grande Armee at Austerlitz" (LGAA).

Les Grognards is much different from LGAA you can control your army in the 3D view and you don't have to just sit and watch if you don't want to. You can take direct control of every single regiment if and whenever you like.

And as for group formations you group them in corps and issue general orders (in the 3D mode) and you can at any given time detach a regiment from the corps.

/Lars L.

black_fish
20th Apr 2005, 11:53
Well Bananaman I was just trying to save you some grief (if not some money) :D

I bought my Medieval Total War box with viking included for $30 at best buy so I can still play a good Napoleonic game for $20 less than you will pay for IG :p

@m: I'd rate IG graphics very good to excellent, so that's why I said that Les Grognards had good graphics.

Lindkvist
20th Apr 2005, 11:58
Well I guess that's subjective. I find that the soldiers look like they've putted a bunch of tin soldiers in it. But that's just me.

Sure the units could use some extra polygons but it is a game decision in order to get more simultaneous troops on the field. 50 000 compared to IG’s 2 000!

Furthermore there are about 550 different units and the uniforms even have the correct facing colors for the different regiments. Uniforms even changes depending on what year it is e.g. French Line infantry has bicorn up to 1807 and shako from 1808. How’s that for historical accuracy?

And unlike IG there are also officers, drummers, flag bearer etc.

/Lars L.

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 12:01
Enjoy your NTW1 MTW MOD. I will enjoy my IG. :p

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 12:03
And the sounds of men shouting and other sounds in NTW1 MTW MOD. is not that much compared to that of Imperial Glory, yes? Honest question, honest answer please. :D

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 12:07
Sure the units could use some extra polygons but it is a game decision in order to get more simultaneous troops on the field. 50 000 compared to IG’s 2 000!

Furthermore there are about 550 different units and the uniforms even have the correct facing colors for the different regiments. Uniforms even changes depending on what year it is e.g. French Line infantry has bicorn up to 1807 and shako from 1808. How’s that for historical accuracy?

And unlike IG there are also officers, drummers, flag bearer etc.

/Lars L.

Yes, but does Les Grognards has a empire conquering & managing (of Europe & surrounding areas) in the form of a turn based strategy board? Does it also has naval battles?? :D

Lindkvist
20th Apr 2005, 12:08
The only thing is: Imperial Glory has a turn base strategy board PLUS all provinces of Europe to play with while Les Grognards is very historicaly correct but has only one or two battles and NO turn base strategy board and all provinces of Europe.

And Imperial Glory will be seen at the major stores and pc stores near you while Les Grognards is being sold on the internet only, away from the publics view.

Just to set the record straight, Les Grognards features about 10 battles to begin with and with the two editors (Map and OoB) you can make almost any Napoleonic battles between 1805 and 1814.

There are 15 different countries in the game all with their unique units and historical uniforms.

There will be a demo too. It’s just not ready yet. ;)

/Lars L.

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 12:11
Well? Does Les Grognards has a turn based strategy board (of Europe & surrounding areas) and naval battles?

And WHY isnt it available on the shelves of the major & pc game stores?? :D

Lindkvist
20th Apr 2005, 12:27
Well? Does Les Grognards has a turn based strategy board (of Europe & surrounding areas) and naval battles?

No it hasn't, but you knew that already. It is however the best Napoleonic tactical game imho and a must have for all Napoleonic lovers.

And WHY isnt it available on the shelves of the major & pc game stores?? :D

Well, it has no official publisher yet so that's why. :p

/Lars L

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 13:43
Well, it has no official publisher yet so that's why. :p
/Lars L

And why doesnt it has a publisher yet? :p

Les Grognards, something for Eidos maybe? :D

Lt.Phoenix
20th Apr 2005, 22:12
Go ahead, I'd rather stay with what imo is the much better game, meaning IG

Oststar
20th Apr 2005, 22:51
I'm still getting Imperial Glory: it needs tweaking and balancing, but they're all minor issues that will be corrected. Les whatever sounds to be very different in some ways and in no way much better than IG.

Czar
20th Apr 2005, 23:50
Go ahead, I'd rather stay with what imo is the much better game, meaning IG

Lt. Phoenix, Oststar et al.

How can you possibly judge which is the better game? :confused: You have a DEMO of IG and nothing from Les Grognards.

Or do you just prefer the Graphics?

(I DO wish people would stop REVIEWING games based on a screenshot :p )

Lt.Phoenix
21st Apr 2005, 02:05
It's not based on a screenshot, I'm basing it on all I've seen and they've told me about the two games.

Oststar
21st Apr 2005, 03:17
Lt. Phoenix, Oststar et al.

How can you possibly judge which is the better game? :confused: You have a DEMO of IG and nothing from Les Grognards.

Or do you just prefer the Graphics?

(I DO wish people would stop REVIEWING games based on a screenshot :p )

ooooh i'm mentioned by name!

No I reviewed graphics by the screenshot and the gameplay from being told the strategy was weaker.

Czar
21st Apr 2005, 03:31
Oh! What you were told?... :p

Yes, I can see now...

Honestly Guys - believe NOTHING.
Wait for the player reviews. A lot of the people who are telling us stuff at this stage either:
- Have not seen anything except the demo of IG.
- Have an 'interest' in one game or the other (ie. They are programmers, designers, employees or are being paid in some way {Reviewers})
- Are compusive complainers who are upset that I.G. was not made the way they wanted...no DEMANDED... it be made.

There was even someone here who claimed he had played it (through friend at Eidos):
So I asked what the naval combat? I still don't think I have an answer :p

Lt.Phoenix
21st Apr 2005, 03:37
it's Arch, what do you expect? He said the first day he definitely wasn't going to buy it, and he's still complaining for them to change it, even though he won't be buying it.

black_fish
21st Apr 2005, 07:51
I always review games on screenshots, usually the ones that are printed on the back of the box.

I am a marketing man dream.

saddletank
21st Apr 2005, 08:45
Les Grognards looks fantastic, exactly the kind of Napoleonic wargame I've been wanting on a PC for years. There seems almost no limit to the size of battle that can be fought. Choice of nations, units and uniforms is thoroughly comprehensive - the order of battle editor lists every regiment in that nations army to choose from, all with correct facings and you can add faded or dirty uniforms to any unit you wish. Full list of historical generals.

But best of all a proper command and structure system that defines corps, divisions and brigades which obliges the player to learn and use historical force structure and tactics. Brilliant.

And even a doctrine setting for all your units in case they encounter a situation and you are not at that point on the battlefield to respond personally.

HistWar 1806 also includes the full 1806 French - Prussian campaign. Nice.

Given all these points I can quite happily live with graphics that are simplified.

Definitely one to watch, I hope they get a publisher.

Lindkvist
21st Apr 2005, 09:08
And why doesnt it has a publisher yet? :p

Les Grognards, something for Eidos maybe? :D

I didn't say it had no publisher. I said it had no official publisher. ;)

/Lars L.

BANANAMAN
21st Apr 2005, 09:27
And I said something for Eidos maybe? ;)

Lindkvist
21st Apr 2005, 15:31
This "Les Grognards" game is more known in France.
About a month ago this article was published in a French game magazine (PC4War). I got it translated to English by a friend of mine:

"HistWar : Les Grognards Napoleonic wargame that simulates engagements at « Tactical-extended » level from 1805 to 1814. Using 3D (No hexagon) and real time, it could be played solo or multi-players (LAN or Internet up to 6 gamers) or through e-mail. It manages up to one hundred units by opponent, i.e. around 50 000 animated figures. Only with multi-players option, a “mini-campaign” modulus introduces notions of operational scale such as operating lines. The heart of the concept is to place you in situation of an army leader to define -in some clicks- a precise plan of battle and to let the artificial intelligence carry it out. It is then possible to interfere on lower hierarchical levels (Corps – Division – Regiment) for closer management of orders implementation. To allow those 3 levels of command, HistWar benefits a graphic engine integrating 4 levels of display and customizable IA.

The gamer disposes of 4 display modes: 2D view “ordnance map”, 3D symbolic, 3D outlook with subjective or « helicopter » view. With 3D outlook, every battalion is represented by 70 figures showing Major, eagle-bearer, sapper, skirmisher, grenadier and fusilier. Every gun is surrounded by 5 or 6 gunners and its team of 2 to 6 horses.

AI includes 3 basic hierarchical levels: order, gamer and tactical extended AI (TE-AI). In solo mode, gamer and TE-AI create their tactical plan and set their troops using 5 general orders. Liaison order allows associating Corps in order to compose independent armies, guaranteeing the manoeuvres coordination. The other orders (Deployment, Diversion, Defence, March) are used to define occupation zones.

The intermediate level is for Chiefs of Corps or Divisions driven by the Tactical AI (T-AI). Always active, T-AI translates the chief of army’s orders into carrying out orders such as troop’s concentration, displaying in battle formation following the given instructions (Hour, arrangement, reserve), rallying of units running away and use of reserves. The gamer can constantly take control. In Multi-Play mode, the gamers in charge of Corps are partly taking place of T-AI.

Finally, the "regimental" IA takes care of the life of every regiment. For example, driving infantry AI automatically sends a battalion towards a threatened flank or command the Square formation in presence of enemy cavalry. Such multiple rules are coming from real historical engagements; they all are customizable through the doctrine editor.

The fate has little place in this simulator. All the losses are calculated from models taking into account the geometrical arrangement of the fighters, their training, their value, their fatigue, their morale. This last one aggregates numerous parameters such as leader of Army presence (how not try to shine when the boss looks at you), nearness of friendly units, fatigue, meteorology, percentage of losses, etc…

Besides the numerous options to modulate the game conditions of (season, weather report, realism), Les Grognards integrates the delay of transmission and realization of orders. They can never be delivered to addressee (interception of the aide-de-camp by opponent) or be delivered too late to be effective.

Three editors complete the game:
• Map Editor to create 4 size of map, from small 6 * 4.5 km to Huge 30 * 22.5 km ;
• Order of Battle Editor, associated to several data bases: more than 4000 commanders' names (from General-in chief to Colonel), more than 1150 regiments from about fifteen countries in this first release, more than 550 uniforms modulated by distinctive colours;
• Doctrine Editor to manage the behavior of regiments controlled by AI.

The first 2 Editors integrate the automatic creation of maps or well-balanced battle orders. Besides the dozen prestigious battles supplied with Les Grognards (Austerlitz, Friedland, Wagram, the campaign of Ratisbonne in 1809, Moscowa, Borodino) the users have the possibility to create a multitude of historical or virtual commitments.

These three Editors are now ended. The human-machine interface was totally rethought since the ancestor LGAA. It remains now to grind the engine so that Les Grognards finally fight.

To end, a word about the team that is slowly filling out. Laurent Abadie realizes the illustrations and the graphics of HistWar. Perrine M takes charge of sites. The team of beta-test, strong of about fifteen elements, pursues bugs. Some are well known in the world of French Wargame. A thanking to Lars Lindkvist (real encyclopaedia of Napoleonic uniforms), who has validated the liveries of all 1150 regiments.

Considering Les Grognards release, nothing has been clearly defined. A usual “publisher” of wargamers could take charge of this product’s distribution worldwide."

And some screenshots from the same article:

Cuirassiers looking over the battlefield (http://www.lesgrognards.com/~betatest/Link/PC4WAR1.JPG)

French artillery train (http://www.lesgrognards.com/~betatest/Link/PC4WAR2.JPG)

2D map displaying tactical movements (http://www.lesgrognards.com/~betatest/Link/PC4WAR3.JPG)

/Lars L.

BANANAMAN
21st Apr 2005, 16:09
And some screenshots from the same article:

Cuirassiers looking over the battlefield (http://www.lesgrognards.com/~betatest/Link/PC4WAR1.JPG)

French artillery train (http://www.lesgrognards.com/~betatest/Link/PC4WAR2.JPG)

2D map displaying tactical movements (http://www.lesgrognards.com/~betatest/Link/PC4WAR3.JPG)

/Lars L.

Yes, but shouldnt they go towards the publishers instead of publishers 'going' to them? :D :confused: :D

Lindkvist
21st Apr 2005, 16:46
Yes, but shouldnt they go towards the publishers instead of publishers 'going' to them? :D :confused: :D

I'm not sure about the translation is correct. :confused:

Anyway this article is one month old and a publishing deal with this "usual wargaming publisher" (read "well known wargaming publisher") is not so far off now.

/Lars L.

langmann
21st Apr 2005, 23:18
Les Grognards is looking to be a million times better than this IG disgrace is turning out to be.

I remember when Combat Mission came out on the web, and it turned into one of the best war-games available.

As with combat mission, people modified the graphics so that folks with really good graphics cards could play with exceptional graphics while those with poorer cards could at least still play an enjoyable game.

Thanks for the heads up about les grognards. I'll be checking this one out ASAP.

BANANAMAN
22nd Apr 2005, 00:34
Les Grognards is looking to be a million times better than this IG disgrace is turning out to be.

I remember when Combat Mission came out on the web, and it turned into one of the best war-games available.

As with combat mission, people modified the graphics so that folks with really good graphics cards could play with exceptional graphics while those with poorer cards could at least still play an enjoyable game.

Thanks for the heads up about les grognards. I'll be checking this one out ASAP.

If you dont like Imperial Glory then why hanging around here? You should go to Les Grognard's forum ASAP indeed. But before you do, know that Imperial Glory is not a Napoleonic reenactment pc game but a Napoleonic cinematic pc game.

Au revoir! :cool:

black_fish
22nd Apr 2005, 06:50
Langmann you're completely right when you compare it to Combat Mission! Although I always thought tha CM was a bit too complex for my taste it beat hands down all the crappy WW2 RTS that countless 'big' publishers (including Eidos I think) released over the years. Les Grognards could be the CM of the Napoleonic era.

Anyway for a old wargamer like me Les Grognards look hot!

Bananaman: we are talking about LG here to gain people to the cause :) See I discovered it by accident (looking for a good wargame alternative to the mess that is IG) and already some people are interested in it. Now I can TOTALLY understand that some people are going to prefer IG to any serious simulation but it's good to show, I think, to show what IG is and is not. Like you said it's a cinematic game - as for the Napoleonic adjective I would say Napoleonic-like rather than Napoleonic ;) After all there is more to an era warfare than pretty uniforms and a few names don't you think?

Lindkvist: thanks for all the info and the awesome screenshots!

One last word: I understand that there are different types of gameplay and different types of player. One like realism, ponderation, deep strategic thinking, another one like pretty graphics, twitch response and fast clicking. Now what I DON'T understand is why companies like Pyro just don't put 2 settings in their games (Historical and Arcade, or whatever you want to call them) so that with the same engine and game people could tailor the experience to their own tastes! Is that so hard? I think not. After all some modders turned the cartoony Rome Total War in a very accurate historical simulation by just tweaking a few numbers.

Lindkvist
22nd Apr 2005, 10:35
Lindkvist: thanks for all the info and the awesome screenshots!

I'm happy to oblige a fellow Napoleonic fan. :)

If you go over to the Histwar forum (http://www.histwar.com/forum/index.php) I can oblige you further if you have any questions. ;)

/Lars L.

BANANAMAN
22nd Apr 2005, 10:58
No thanks for Les Grognards, because those screenshots look just horrible! Do something about that! Man! It hurts my eyes! AARGH! Wait let me put on my sunglasses. :cool:

saddletank
22nd Apr 2005, 11:56
It's true that the current trend is to make games look beautiful, with much of the development effort going into pretty graphics. Given limited budgets and time constraints this often means gameplay suffers. Codename:Panzers is a case in point. It's a wonder to behold but after a few battles you are left thinking "Hmmm...this isn't really WW2 combat is it?"

Trouble is the best way to 'sell' a game before it's ready is to post up screenshots and videos. These media only show the prospective buyer how the game looks, not how it plays (although a few people spotted some iffy gameplay from the IG movies). So this presale opportunity encourages more developers to go for pretty graphics, a vicious circle.

Producing a game with an arcade and historical option would suit all tastes but it would also be the most expensive way to make a game. Now if 80% of customers play on arcade setting and 20% play on historical (I reckon those percentages would be true as well) that implies to the devs that 80% of their effort was wasted. What software house will make games based on that logic?

Sadly the super accurate historical game such as Combat Mission (and in terms of racing sims "Grand Prix Legends" will only be used by a small cult following and will never earn devs and publishers the big bucks - hence they'll never get made except by small dedicated developers like the Les Grognards team and such teams may struggle to find a publisher.

I frequented the Codename:Panzers forum when that game came out and we had exactly the same discussion we are having here. Amazingly some of the WW2 players who cliamed they enjoyed accurate historical games had never even heard of Combat Mission, and that hit the high street shop shelves when it came out. Just goes to show how widely known the accurate/historical games are.

BANANAMAN
22nd Apr 2005, 12:17
As I said before and will always say it: Imperial Glory is a Napoleonic cinematic pc game. And I know, cinematic pc game means to you arcade pc game.

So, what are you doing in this IG forum anyway? Taking or snatching away potential buyers from Imperial Glory? Wasnt that you who said that in the Les Grognards forum? Well, that doesnt matter does it? The fact is that Les Grognards fans are trying to snatch away potential IG buyers.. yes? Correct?

Tenjo_Kalle
22nd Apr 2005, 13:28
You are wrong Bananaman - we are trying to talk the developers into doing this a good wargame. Some of us wants a game not a movie - we go to the cinemas for watching movies.

Kalle

BANANAMAN
22nd Apr 2005, 15:46
You are wrong Bananaman - we are trying to talk the developers into doing this a good wargame.

This is not true. See this quote from a Les Grognards fan from the histwar forum under the thread of 'Imperial Glory':
"I only wish that Les Grognards would be ready to show in order to win over some of the potential IG buyers" End quote.

BANANAMAN
22nd Apr 2005, 15:51
So, you Les Grognards guys are wishing, hoping and trying to lure some potential IG buyers, yes? Gotcha! Case closed. Shame on you. Get your own potential buyers. :cool:

Lindkvist
22nd Apr 2005, 16:36
This is not true. See this quote from a Les Grognards fan from the histwar forum under the thread of 'Imperial Glory':
"I only wish that Les Grognards would be ready to show in order to win over some of the potential IG buyers" End quote.

That would be me. If you want to pick on someone pick on me. :D

I see nothing wrong with that statement. I don't go around this board telling everyone how bad IG is. It wasn’t even me who started this thread. I just inform fellow Napoleonic fans that there is an alternative game coming out that have all that a wargamer could ask for in a tactical Napoleonic game that IG doesn't.

In that way there is no reason to "whine" on this forum how bad IG is especially since Pyrostudios/Eidos doesn't shows any interest here. Some have already left this forum since IG doesn't live up to their dreams/wishes. Is it not what you want too (people to leave this forum)? At least you keep saying that to all who comes up with suggestions how to change IG into a wargame.

To be frank, I joined this forum because I was interested in IG myself (as number two on my list) but even though I had very low expectations about historical accuracy I got disappointed after playing the demo. One could expect the game to be playable at least but it's not even that.

Perhaps they will insert a command during pause feature or make the speed variable. If not I will not buy IG and instead go on with number 1 and 3 on my list. :cool:

/Lars L.

BANANAMAN
22nd Apr 2005, 16:53
Well, maybe you meant something else with your statement. :rolleyes:

I can say for myself that at first I was being very negative about Imperial Glory, but that's because I was having trouble playing the demo without the ATI Catalyst 5.1.

But now I've Catalyst 5.1. and the demo runs smoothly. :)

And guess what: I was having fun and the IG demo gave me the feeling I was there on the battlefield whenever I went down to the soldiers point of view. It gave me the feeling I was an commander & soldier somewhere in the time of the Napoleonic era.

So, now I'm very positive about the game. That's the reason why I'm here in this forum, but YOUR reason of staying in this forum is not logical to me.

But I will let you in peace now with this thread on Les Grognard, because the developers have indeed said nothing about this thread, so this thread is okey with them I think.

Bye now, Ciao! :)

saddletank
22nd Apr 2005, 21:03
I'm on this forum 1) In case some Pyro/Eidos peeps read it and hear what their customers want and 2) Because people are already modding the game into something better, and discussing ideas here. I'm hopeful the mods can make a great looking game play great as well.

Bananaman I'm getting pretty tired of your attitude, I'm sure people here are mature enough to read all the threads positive and negative, go get the demo and make up their own minds on whether IG is the game for them or not. You are being pretty rude to them assuming they are so easily swayed that they'd will be put off by the content of some posts on here. I'm sure that's not true.

And where did this idea of IG being a 'cinematic' game come from? Inside your head, that's where. Eidos themselves on the official website label it "superb accuracy, stunning historically correct uniforms in every detail, historically accurate gameplay." So you are saying different to what the game publishers say. Who is right here? The game is not what Eidos claim it to be, and as an aside, it's not what you claim it to be either for that matter.

And just because someone buys another game that does not mean they won't also buy IG, 1000s of pc gamers make multiple game purchases. Get a grip on reality my friend.

Going back to my last post I forgot that R:TW has an arcade and a historical setting. The arcade setting turns off morale, fatigue and gives unlimited ammo, so it is possible to build a working game to suit all tastes. Maybe however some game devs just aren't interested in appealing to the whole market.

BANANAMAN
23rd Apr 2005, 01:27
I'm on this forum 1) In case some Pyro/Eidos peeps read it and hear what their customers want and 2) Because people are already modding the game into something better, and discussing ideas here. I'm hopeful the mods can make a great looking game play great as well.

Bananaman I'm getting pretty tired of your attitude, I'm sure people here are mature enough to read all the threads positive and negative, go get the demo and make up their own minds on whether IG is the game for them or not. You are being pretty rude to them assuming they are so easily swayed that they'd will be put off by the content of some posts on here. I'm sure that's not true.

And where did this idea of IG being a 'cinematic' game come from? Inside your head, that's where. Eidos themselves on the official website label it "superb accuracy, stunning historically correct uniforms in every detail, historically accurate gameplay." So you are saying different to what the game publishers say. Who is right here? The game is not what Eidos claim it to be, and as an aside, it's not what you claim it to be either for that matter.

And just because someone buys another game that does not mean they won't also buy IG, 1000s of pc gamers make multiple game purchases. Get a grip on reality my friend.

Going back to my last post I forgot that R:TW has an arcade and a historical setting. The arcade setting turns off morale, fatigue and gives unlimited ammo, so it is possible to build a working game to suit all tastes. Maybe however some game devs just aren't interested in appealing to the whole market.

You couldnt let it be, couldnt you?

You want a discussion? I will give you one, lol. :D

So, you are here to talk and being kept updated on the mod. thing surrounding Imperial Glory.. so, then why are you making propaganda for Les Grognards? Again, again and again, endlessly.

I'm just being positive about Imperial Glory and its demo.. is it bad to be enthusiastic? And the only ones who are annoyed with my 'attitude' are the Les Grognard fans in this Imperial Glory forum.

Say, are your eyes not working well? Pyrostudios always made cinematic pc games and they call it not cinematic but they call it quality.

If 1000s of gamers buy multiple pc games purchases, then why is it important for you to "win over some of the potential IG buyers"? Let histwar get on its own strenght some potential buyers instead of riding on the back & efforts of others like Pyrostudios & Eidos.

So, there is no gamespeed slider, so what, then why complaining at my door? Go write an e-mail to Pyrostudios. :rolleyes:

Tenjo_Kalle
23rd Apr 2005, 09:23
Complaining at your door??? This is your home Bananaman?? Then by all means throw the rest of us out if you have that power, I doubt it though.

I just wrote somewhere else what I think about your "arguing", you just have no clue what is possible to include in a wargame and still keep it just as playable as you (and I) like it.

For every suggestion on fetures people would like to see in the game because it would enhance it you say - "No its not needed, I played the demo a thousand times and I say its not needed why dont you go write at some other forum this game is perfect the way it is"

Well judging from the demo it is far from perfect, if you had any experience from games other then eidos/pyro studios i.e. wargames you would know that.

But as soon as you discover a new feture that Pyros has put in the game you cheer and say oh that feture is so cool. That make me think that when they put for instance a good moralesystem in you will say - "ooohh that so cool". You just have no clue.

I also bought and played other pyrogames. I do not agree that pyros are all about cinematics - commandos 1 was a thinking game - usually only one or maybe 2 solutions to a problem but it was not above all a cinematic game - you had to discover those solutions.

One more thing; if you read the fetures of the game you will see this - let me quote; "Realistic weather effects influence your troops' ability and will to fight."

Sory to disapoint you Bananman but that is a rather strong implication there will be a moralesystem and even things such as weather will effect the morale of the men. :)

Now dont tell me you think this is cool. Your viewpoint is you want this game with no moralesystem so let us hear you complain please ;)

I just saw you write somewhere about the great tactics in this game - how it is all about flanking and rearattacking. First of all the demobattles do not show this. They only show a week AI and the importance of good prebattlepositioning (the desert one). Without a moralesystem I cant see any use for such things as flanking and rearattacking. Again it just shows you know nothing.

Kalle

BANANAMAN
23rd Apr 2005, 09:35
Complaining at your door??? This is your home Bananaman?? Then by all means throw the rest of us out if you have that power, I doubt it though.

Of course I dont live in this forum, DUHHHH??! :rolleyes:

Did you took that literally this 'complaining at your (my :D ) door' thing? It was as manner of speaking. Gee, as I said before (in another thread) Tenjo: get your logics straight, lol. :D

Tenjo_Kalle
23rd Apr 2005, 09:40
You dont live in this forum???? :eek: :eek:

I was so sure you did, you just said it, are you trying to trick me?? :confused: :confused:

You bad boy :mad:

On the other hand maybe you took what I wrote to literally ;)

So to conclude; maybe ur not a bad boy but it sure seems like your a silly boy ;)

Kalle

(and of course as usual you had no answer to what my post was really about)

BANANAMAN
23rd Apr 2005, 09:51
I just reacted to 'what it was about' on another thread. :D

saddletank
23rd Apr 2005, 12:10
why is it important for you to "win over some of the potential IG buyers"?

Who are you quoting here? It isn't me, don't put quotes from other people into my mouth. I have never written the above quoted statement nor acted in the way that statement implies.

Good grief, why am I defending myself against you? I have better things to do.

When the full game of IG comes out and it has a morale system I may buy it depending on what players say. If it has no morale system I will check with the mods team and see if they can build one in, if they can't then I'll give the game a wide berth and you'll see me no more round here.

Bet that makes your day, eh?

black_fish
25th Apr 2005, 10:15
Bananaman you're just an idiot.

You desserve IG as it is.

And on this, Adieu ladies and gentlemen, this was my last post.

BANANAMAN
25th Apr 2005, 10:46
Bananaman you're just an idiot.

Looking for an idiot? Just take a look in the mirror.

BANANAMAN
25th Apr 2005, 10:47

Au revoir!!!!!!!

BANANAMAN
25th Apr 2005, 10:51

As a hardcore Les Grognard fan you were not planning to buy Imperial Glory anyway.

Mike_B
25th Apr 2005, 15:15

Promises...