PDA

View Full Version : Horse Artillery (?!)

Khornish
20th Apr 2005, 01:50
"Horse Artillery
The principal difference between Horse Artillery and regular artillery pieces is that, as the name suggests, it is transported by horses. Therefore, the battery benefits from greater mobility on the field of battle."

Okay, I must say I had to laugh at this one, it's from the official site.

Now, for clarification, horse artillery was named such because the gunners were transported via horseback or by some means other than them walking on foot.

"Foot artillery" or regular artillery units were ones where the gunners walked or ran along side their guns.

Note: the guns would still have to be transported around the battlefield by horses, unless the crew was going to move the piece a short distance by means of prolonging the gun (pulling it around with ropes).

Although it's probably way too late to fix the graphics for the unit, I certainly hope the speed of a horse artillery battery is bumped up to where it should be.

Berdan
20th Apr 2005, 01:53
"Horse Artillery
The principal difference between Horse Artillery and regular artillery pieces is that, as the name suggests, it is transported by horses. Therefore, the battery benefits from greater mobility on the field of battle."

Okay, I must say I had to laugh at this one, it's from the official site.

Now, for clarification, horse artillery was named such because the gunners were transported via horseback or by some means other than them walking on foot.

"Foot artillery" or regular artillery units were ones where the gunners walked or ran along side their guns.

Note: the guns would still have to be transported around the battlefield by horses, unless the crew was going to move the piece a short distance by means of prolonging the gun (pulling it around with ropes).

Although it's probably way too late to fix the graphics for the unit, I certainly hope the speed of a horse artillery battery is bumped up to where it should be.

yes that is why in my mod i added horses to foot artillery units. if you put both horse & foot artillery units into your demo.sb you'll notice a difference in the speed at which the 2 move.

Commisar Adam
20th Apr 2005, 03:18
I don't see how horse artilery is preferable to normal artillery. The artilllery, as you have made clear, still needs to be pulled by horseback. So, with the massive artillery pieces of the Napoleanic era, I can imagine that the pulling horses don't move very rapidly. So what's the point of giving each man a horse? They can just as easily run alongside, and the horses would probrably die or run before ever being used. So what's the overall objective of Horse Artillery, seeing how they don't really improve speed? :confused:

Cro_Knight
20th Apr 2005, 04:29
i think there were more cannons then howitzer 12lbs and 6lbs i thought there was a really big french cannon i forget the name though it had a short barral big whole to shoot from

Khornish
20th Apr 2005, 06:11
I don't see how horse artilery is preferable to normal artillery. The artilllery, as you have made clear, still needs to be pulled by horseback. So, with the massive artillery pieces of the Napoleanic era, I can imagine that the pulling horses don't move very rapidly. So what's the point of giving each man a horse? They can just as easily run alongside, and the horses would probrably die or run before ever being used. So what's the overall objective of Horse Artillery, seeing how they don't really improve speed? :confused:

Horse artillery was a bit faster overall than a battery of foot. Although heavy, the guns could be moved at a fairly good pace. The speed of the guns would have been limited to the speed of the crew. A man on foot, even running, can't keep pace with a horse over tactical distances.

Had this not been the case, there would have been no point to having horse batteries in the first place as it would have been a waste of horseflesh. This would have proven especially true for the French during the Wars of Napoleon as they had a dearth of horses throughout the war, most especially after the disaster in Russia.

There have been many arguments amongst historians who specialize in this period as to exactly how much faster a horse battery would have been. Yet, we can see there was a difference significant enough to warrant horse batteries to be formed, trained, equipped, and maintained, at a much higher cost than that of a battery of foot.

Khornish
20th Apr 2005, 06:14
i think there were more cannons then howitzer 12lbs and 6lbs i thought there was a really big french cannon i forget the name though it had a short barral big whole to shoot from

The French also had an 8pdr gun. It was loved by the horse batteries who generally sneered at the 6pdr guns in the foot batteries.

The short barrel was usually that of a howitzer or a siege gun of some type.

Cro_Knight
20th Apr 2005, 14:48
yea exacly because they were seiging a fort of the british so i think they should have seiges with those guns it would be great