PDA

View Full Version : Graphics or historical accuracy

Lindkvist
19th Apr 2005, 17:16
This forum seems to be devided in to camps.

One who wants more historical accuracy and realism and one that is happy as it is. What side are you on?

Les The Lionheart
19th Apr 2005, 17:33
Historical accuracy and realism. Otherwise I would play a sci-fi game that isn't real or based on history.

Berdan
19th Apr 2005, 18:54
i feel both can be obtained. :cool:

Les The Lionheart
19th Apr 2005, 18:59
They did it with rome total war so why not with this.

Sharpe
19th Apr 2005, 19:50
Because....well...obviously they...umm...hmmm, maybe they just don't know HOW. lol

screamingpalm
19th Apr 2005, 21:24
To prioritize I would put historical accuracy first, but really both are important for replayability. If you have a game with astounding graphics but lacks in depth and gameplay the eyecandy tastes sour after a while. The game with deep gameplay and historical accuracy will last longer, but lets face it w/out the graphics it will be the game you uninstall, but cant bear to trade in, going back to playing when the newest eyecandy starts to get old. Sort of like how many felt with Rome:TW vs Medievil:TW.

Edited for grammar :rolleyes:

Commisar Adam
19th Apr 2005, 21:47
I moreso favor a realism aspect rather than graphics. Tedious gameplay prevents enjoyment, even if the game is sugar coated with good graphics. And historical accuracy makes the game enjoyable, as historical events add twists and variety. But if you want a timely game that has unlimited replay value and depth, then a combination of both is great. And besides, if the game played out exactly as it did in history, it might begin to seem more like a history class and less like a game.

Lt.Phoenix
19th Apr 2005, 21:54
hmm...not really why you chose to put graphics as an opton against historical accuracy. Graphics is not what's up against historical accuracy, it's gameplay.

Commisar Adam
19th Apr 2005, 22:18
hmm...not really why you chose to put graphics as an opton against historical accuracy. Graphics is not what's up against historical accuracy, it's gameplay.
You have a point, graphics have no effect on historical accuracy. It's more so arcade style vs. historical accuracy.

screamingpalm
19th Apr 2005, 22:27
You have a point, graphics have no effect on histircal accuracy. It's more so arcade style vs. historical accuracy.

Actually I think graphics have quite a lot to do with historical accuracy. :D Especially to many of us miniature wargamers who tediously paint our detailed figures. One of the unique things about the Napoleonic era was the colour and variety of uniforms after all. I think IG has potential in both areas however, and whatever it lacks sounds like it can be modded, so Im hopeful. Now if we can just do something about the 100% casualty issue.... :(

Commisar Adam
19th Apr 2005, 22:33
Actually I think graphics have quite a lot to do with historical accuracy. :D Especially to many of us miniature wargamers who tediously paint our detailed figures. One of the unique things about the Napoleonic era was the colour and variety of uniforms after all. I think IG has potential in both areas however, and whatever it lacks sounds like it can be modded, so Im hopeful. Now if we can just do something about the 100% casualty issue.... :(

Would you rather have pretty uniforms or accurate weapons and realistic unit types? Accurate weapons+quality gameplay= :)

And I must concur, on almost no occasions was it nessassary to destroy an entire army to be victorious. Routing it usually did the trick.

screamingpalm
19th Apr 2005, 22:36
Would you rather have pretty uniforms or accurate weapons and realistic unit types? Accurate weapons+quality gameplay= :)

Ah well if I had to choose you mean....certainly the realistic weapons/units. Skins can and already have been modded. :)

Edit: I suppose stats can be modded too, but maybe not as easily. I hold out hope for this game mostly because many are saying it is easily moddable lol.

Lt.Phoenix
20th Apr 2005, 00:14
It is, the only game I've successfully been able to "tune" it to my liking.

Oststar
20th Apr 2005, 02:42
Gameplay and historical accuracy over graphics anyday. I play CCV and that still has a top down view, but the tacttics and strategy kill anything else on the market.

Lindkvist
20th Apr 2005, 06:09

It's where you put the focus. IG seems to been focusing on producing a great looking game, and casual gamers are happy with just that, but they have spent less time making it historical accurate not to mention playable. :rolleyes:

Now, suggest it would be the other way around. Fantastic accuracy and playability but less graphic quality... (I'm not talking graphics that looks like it came from the 80's though ;) )

/Lars L.

Cro_Knight
20th Apr 2005, 14:51
u see this is why RTW is better this IG is the first RTS im not sure if oreatorians was but most of those developers are gone now so on the other side TW has been making games like this since way back u all remember SHOGUN VIKING MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR they were great games and i think the company can only get better and better from it and thats why rome total war is so great

mob
20th Apr 2005, 14:54
be even better if we werent forced to play with the 1.2 patch wich is the worst patch ever made

Anakin Skywalker
20th Apr 2005, 15:40
For me realism and historical accuraty are most important, too, but as already mentioned: Rome managed to combine both. So I guess to get a brilliant "Napoleon-game" we have to wait for Napoleon:Total War. What do you think about CossacksII?

mob
20th Apr 2005, 15:47
yes napolian tw lol
yay!! good idea

Sharpe
20th Apr 2005, 15:51
yes napolian tw lol
yay!! good idea

napoelon TW mod is already out, the lordz have started on NTW 2, for RTW.

Anakin Skywalker
20th Apr 2005, 15:53
napoelon TW mod is already out, the lordz have started on NTW 2, for RTW.

Really? Is it good?

Czar
20th Apr 2005, 16:43
Historical accuracy up to a point. I don't really need buttons and tassels and even graphics that show the wrong hat don't really worry me...

But what I want is a game that gives me the feel of battles in the age of muskets.
I would even be happy with a game that only allowed 'skirmishes' if it did that well.

fat_man
23rd Apr 2005, 13:21
uhh I perfer if they had both, why have just one of a good thing

BOOYAH!!!!

Czar
19th May 2005, 12:41
BIG BUMP!

For this:

http://www.firaxis.com/community/polls.php

And the results so far:

Q4. Graphics or Gameplay?
Percent Answer
2% It’s gotta be pretty
50% Balance is the key
48% Who cares about graphics?

rastak
19th May 2005, 12:57
Historical accuracy up to a point. I don't really need buttons and tassels and even graphics that show the wrong hat don't really worry me...

But what I want is a game that gives me the feel of battles in the age of muskets.
I would even be happy with a game that only allowed 'skirmishes' if it did that well.

I agree completely with your sentiments. However, I'd grow pretty bored with no strategic element.

Stereophobia
19th May 2005, 14:46
To be honest I would happily play it on the old shogun engine so long as it was accurate. Ater all were paying for a napoleonic game, not an artistic animation of it.

Dravin
19th May 2005, 16:13

I agree with this, accurate troops and weapons are important but if the British 95th Rifles are Redcoated it doesn't bother me.

Graphics do matter to me as well, but they don't need to be top of the line amazing photo realistic, just as long as my eyes don't scream in agony over the aged graphics it's all good, and as always amazing gameplay can make up for shortfalls in graphics, the reverse really isn't true for me.

Sol Invictus
20th May 2005, 00:06
Historical accuracy is the meat; nice graphics, while tasty, are simply gravy. I am worried for the TW series actually because while I do enjoy RTW; after much modding; it takes the series farther away from the original attention to detail of Shogun. Kewl units are starting to become all to common with TW these days. If SEGA/CA continues on the current path, I almost dread the next release. Also, try as they might, the TW strategic layer has always been fairly thin and is simply a device to tie in all the battles. I hope that the IG strategic layer actually tops the TW games.

spoom
20th May 2005, 00:30
Without a Historical basis to this game
there is no way I will play it.
I want my guys to move at real life speeds.
Run away when they should or stand and die when
they should. As far as a few slight "Grognard details"
being off Im sure the modders/Grogs will straighten that
out.
I play CC series CM series RTW
and some FPSs